Last James Bond track or theme you listened to...

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited September 2021 Posts: 23,325
    mattjoes wrote: »
    This version of 007 from 1995's Moviola II is based on John Barry's concert arrangement from 1972, only the percussion is slightly different and, beginning at 0:55, the background phrase (that includes an upwards slide in every other bar) has horns in addition to strings, which gives it a beautiful and more muscular sound. I prefer this one to the original. The changes bring out the lyrical quality of the music a bit more. It's also slightly more lively.

Great stuff, I like the 007 version from the album The Best of John Barry Film and TV Themes. I can't find the album on YouTube.
    R-7745835-1534937695-8568.jpeg.jpg

My parents bought me this one Christmas when I was a kid, I have probably listened to this more than any of his compilation albums.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    @mattjoes

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4fvj3m

Just found this click the link, it may take a second or two for the player to appear, go to 8:30 for the 007 track I mentioned or just listen to the full suite it's great. Superb version of Midnight Cowboy after Goldfinger.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    edited September 2021 Posts: 6,721
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns

Interestingly enough, the music in that video/album comes from 1972's The Concert John Barry. They reused it for that Best of John Barry album, which was released in 1991, if I'm not mistaken, rather than 1976 as the video description says. Both albums are Polydor releases, so they include the Polydor versions of several themes that Barry recorded for them in the seventies, for singles and the like.

So the version of 007 you posted is just the one I was referencing. It's very nice, though as I said I do give a slight edge to the 1995 version. But of course that one wouldn't exist without the 1972 version.

I also agree about Midnight Cowboy.

There's also a gorgeous version of Sail the Summer Winds in that Best of John Barry album; another one with a Persuaders-styled arrangement. I didn't know about it until now so thanks for leading me to it.
    Here's another nice orchestral variation on the Bond theme from Barry. This was for a concert for Elizabeth Taylor.

That video is a repost of a repost. Sometime ago I actually downloaded the repost (not the repost of a repost), fixed the aspect ratio, removed the annoying watermark at the end and resynced the audio (you can see it's off in the pizzicato).

The drummer's joy at 0:52 is infectious.
    I haven't actually listened to this, but here's an interesting tidbit about the quadraphonic version of the LALD soundtrack:
    The mix itself is adventuresome, with many elements that - while maybe not fully isolated - are clearly placed strongly in one position in the soundfield. Take track 3: Just a Closer Walk With Thee/New Second Line. There is a part where the dixieland funeral all but disappears from the rears. This is where you might really judge the amount of bleedthrough, which ain't much. And then as the song progresses the music moves into the rears to give you the sense of the passing parade (if you know the scene in the movie).

(source: https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/soundtrack-live-and-let-die-q8.8154/)
    edited October 2021 Posts: 23,325
    I haven't actually listened to this, but here's an interesting tidbit about the quadraphonic version of the LALD soundtrack:
    The mix itself is adventuresome, with many elements that - while maybe not fully isolated - are clearly placed strongly in one position in the soundfield. Take track 3: Just a Closer Walk With Thee/New Second Line. There is a part where the dixieland funeral all but disappears from the rears. This is where you might really judge the amount of bleedthrough, which ain't much. And then as the song progresses the music moves into the rears to give you the sense of the passing parade (if you know the scene in the movie).

(source: https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/soundtrack-live-and-let-die-q8.8154/)

Interesting one of my favourites was not aware of this.

---

Bought NTTD score today some of it caught my ear, will no doubt work better in context of movie.

Message from an old friend is a standout track so far on second listen.

---

Bought NTTD score today some of it caught my ear, will no doubt work better in context of movie.

This.
    although it is longer in the movie
    vzok wrote: »

---

This.
    although it is longer in the movie

That's good I have not seen the film yet though I expect much of the score to be expanded on, was going to watch the film today though too tired from work to sit in a cinema for 3 hours.

Listened to NTTD score 3 times now, much better than the last two for me.
    Given that I listened to the soundtrack today, that has to be "No Time to Die" by Billie Eilish.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Murdock wrote: »

Great stuff I hope the conductor is OK :))

Long time no see @Murdock hope all is well.
    Thank you @Fire_and_Ice_Returns, I've been doing well. I just took a much needed long hiatus. Glad to be back though. :)
    Thank you @Fire_and_Ice_Returns, I've been doing well. I just took a much needed long hiatus. Glad to be back though. :)

A break can do us good for sure, a good time to be back with NTTD in theatres.

Not watched it yet myself probably Tuesday now, when will you get the chance to see it over in the States?

Not watched it yet myself probably Tuesday now, when will you get the chance to see it over in the States?

I won't be seeing it in theaters since they are closed in my neck of the woods. I'll most likely stream it whenever possible.

I won't be seeing it in theaters since they are closed in my neck of the woods. I'll most likely stream it whenever possible.

That's a shame luckily a local theatre is showing it here, I was hesitant initially though they seem well set up with precautions etc.

The sooner its on Streaming the better, hope you get to see it soon.

Restrictions are more relaxed here currently though heading into winter another lockdown is always possible.
    Cool profile pic @Murdock Cavill would be my next choice as Bond.

Thank you, I made it myself. :)

I like the colours on the part of the gun barrel used in the background.

I like the colours on the part of the gun barrel used in the background.

Thanks, I was going for a TWINE/TND style poster that utilizes vibrant colors. Something I feel is missing in modern Bond posters.
    Terrific arrangement, and rich in woodwinds as opposed to some of modern action film scoring.

If the rest of the album is going to be this good, it's going to be a must-have.
    Listening to these delightful remixes from the man @JimmyGerdin

That part of NTTD played on wah-wah brass couldn't sound more Bondian if it tried. Awesome!
    Listening to this. I didn't know there was a music video!

Love 3:22 to the end. The brass keeps climbing and climbing and climbing until infinity...
    Genius touch.
    David Arnold IS Homeless Street Musician
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Technically it would be the main song in From Russia With Love but I had all of the Bond title songs playing on a random loop today while I worked. After seeing No Time To Die I’m on a James Bond high and get seen to get enough content.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    David Arnold IS Homeless Street Musician

I had no idea he started out this way. From rags to riches, so cool.
    Today, while coming back from work, I listened to my James Bond playlist on my iPod, and the last song I listened to before getting home was this one :

It will also be the first song I'll listen to tomorrow morning while going to work.
    Still on my Bond playlist, so today, the last complete track I listened to was Gladys Knight's "License to Kill".
    More Jimmy Gerdin goodness:

edited November 2021 Posts: 6,721
    Q The Music Show at it again:

I think I like this version of The Tanker better than the original:

In this rendition of Flight into Space, the chorus at 3:43 might be synth-based, but it's also much louder and clearer, which is great. Very eerie and dramatic.

I do so hate martial music.

edited December 2021 Posts: 23,325

The true theme to TND.