Last James Bond track or theme you listened to...

Comments

James Bond Theme

I've sometimes wondered how a Lalo Schifrin Bond score could have sounded like. I think it could have been interesting!

I am a big fan of Lalo, I have been revisiting his music alot recently. Check this out...

Have to say, hearing the Bullitt theme over a Bond title sequence is really enjoyable. Thanks! I'm also reminded that I've yet to watch Enter The Dragon.

Yeah Bullitt theme works well with CR excellent title sequence.

Rewatched Enter the Dragon a few weeks ago brilliant film, though I am a huge Bruce Lee fan I have all his film's and even replica of his yellow nunchaku ;))

Yes, the Bullitt theme is suitably jazzy. I guess that's how a late 60's Schifrin Bond score could have sounded like, if he'd made one.

I don't think I've watched any films where Bruce Lee features. I'm just not that into martial arts. I've been thinking of buying a copy of Marlowe (1969), though - a James Garner film where Lee plays a Kung Fu expert.

Do you ever use the replica nunchaku? :-D

Marlowe is a good film one I don't own I really should buy it also.

I train with the nunchaku occasionally I am no expert though I am decent, I have a wooden Katana which I also train with.

Lalo would have made a great score, the early 70's would have been a great time for him to do Bond

Would really like to get Marlowe as a digital download, but no luck so far. I've only found DVD's on Amazon UK (one as a part of a James Garnder collection, and one a bit expensive DVD).

How do you train with the nunchaku and the Katana? Against a punching bag or similar? Have never tried using a nunchaku before; I'd probably just knock myself out, haha!

Agree. re Lalo; I'm sure he could have been a great pick for LALD, TSWLM and FYEO even. I really love the LALD score though, so I think they got that one right. I'm a bit indifferent to the other two, although both have good tracks. FYEO is a guilty pleasure of mine too; I don't mind the disco influence at all.

I tend to train in a open area so I can move about especially when using the Katana. I do actually have a heavy bag stand like this one...
    a76f7c49f-2a6a-4286-ae35-577981d96550_1000_category.jpg
    I bought this years ago mainly for doing interval training (boxing) on the bag.

I would not be surprised if Marlowe is available on Amazon Instant video, I'll have a look.

FYEO has grown on me over the years, it's a decent listen in isolation. I always felt TMWTGG was JB's weakest score.

Interesting! I've been considering getting a boxing bag setup and have that as a part of my workout(s) (which I need to do more of!), but space is an issue, so I'll probably have to look at alternatives. Must be great to have one at home though!

Amazon Instant video is unfortunately not available in Norway – which is a shame, since most of the movies I want to watch aren't available on other services.

There are a few tracks from the FYEO score I like to put on now and then, like Runaway, A Drive In The Country and Submarine. As for TMWTGG I quite like it, although it's not one of the scores I listen to the most.

Yeah my room with gym equipment is a bit crammed I have a bench also, it is great having a gym at home certainly saves alot of money.

Unfortunately Marlowe is not on Amazon Instant, the only versions I could find were dvd though it is a special edition though was expensive

Indeed. I only have a few dumbbells and a couple resistance bands. I have to admit I don't use them much, but at least it's a cheap alternative to a gym membership.

Yeah, that special edition and the other DVD (as a part of a James Garnder collection) was all I could find as well. Might end up getting that special edition eventually, but I'll definitely wait and see if the price goes down first.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

James Bond Theme

I've sometimes wondered how a Lalo Schifrin Bond score could have sounded like. I think it could have been interesting!

I am a big fan of Lalo, I have been revisiting his music alot recently. Check this out...

Have to say, hearing the Bullitt theme over a Bond title sequence is really enjoyable. Thanks! I'm also reminded that I've yet to watch Enter The Dragon.

Rewatched Enter the Dragon a few weeks ago brilliant film, though I am a huge Bruce Lee fan I have all his film's and even replica of his yellow nunchaku ;))

Yes, the Bullitt theme is suitably jazzy. I guess that's how a late 60's Schifrin Bond score could have sounded like, if he'd made one.

I don't think I've watched any films where Bruce Lee features. I'm just not that into martial arts. I've been thinking of buying a copy of Marlowe (1969), though - a James Garner film where Lee plays a Kung Fu expert.

I train with the nunchaku occasionally I am no expert though I am decent, I have a wooden Katana which I also train with.

Lalo would have made a great score, the early 70's would have been a great time for him to do Bond

Would really like to get Marlowe as a digital download, but no luck so far. I've only found DVD's on Amazon UK (one as a part of a James Garnder collection, and one a bit expensive DVD).

How do you train with the nunchaku and the Katana? Against a punching bag or similar? Have never tried using a nunchaku before; I'd probably just knock myself out, haha!

Agree. re Lalo; I'm sure he could have been a great pick for LALD, TSWLM and FYEO even. I really love the LALD score though, so I think they got that one right. I'm a bit indifferent to the other two, although both have good tracks. FYEO is a guilty pleasure of mine too; I don't mind the disco influence at all.

I tend to train in a open area so I can move about especially when using the Katana. I do actually have a heavy bag stand like this one...

I would not be surprised if Marlowe is available on Amazon Instant video, I'll have a look.

FYEO has grown on me over the years, it's a decent listen in isolation. I always felt TMWTGG was JB's weakest score.

Interesting! I've been considering getting a boxing bag setup and have that as a part of my workout(s) (which I need to do more of!), but space is an issue, so I'll probably have to look at alternatives. Must be great to have one at home though!

Amazon Instant video is unfortunately not available in Norway – which is a shame, since most of the movies I want to watch aren't available on other services.

There are a few tracks from the FYEO score I like to put on now and then, like Runaway, A Drive In The Country and Submarine. As for TMWTGG I quite like it, although it's not one of the scores I listen to the most.

Yeah my room with gym equipment is a bit crammed I have a bench also, it is great having a gym at home certainly saves alot of money.

Unfortunately Marlowe is not on Amazon Instant, the only versions I could find were dvd though it is a special edition though was expensive

Indeed. I only have a few dumbbells and a couple resistance bands. I have to admit I don't use them much, but at least it's a cheap alternative to a gym membership.

Yeah, that special edition and the other DVD (as a part of a James Garnder collection) was all I could find as well. Might end up getting that special edition eventually, but I'll definitely wait and see if the price goes down first.
    The dvd is saw was more than £15 a bit steep for a dvd.
    I have quite a few resistance bands they are a god send, the ones I have that are just a band (no handles) literally are a mobile gym that fit in a small bag. Also the kick bag stand I have is great for using the bands as it's extremely heavy.
  • edited June 2019 Posts: 17,291

James Bond Theme

I have quite a few resistance bands they are a god send, the ones I have that are just a band (no handles) literally are a mobile gym that fit in a small bag. Also the kick bag stand I have is great for using the bands as it's extremely heavy.

Yeah, it's a bit much for a DVD. If it goes down to £12 or less, I'll consider it.

Indeed, resistance bands are good equipment, and more than enough for me really. I'll have to use door handles, and that's not optimal (for the handles).

(Sorry for going off topic, mods!)
    Been replaying the CR soundtrack a lot lately - particularly Miami International, African Rundown, Trip Aces, and Fall of a House in Venice.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited June 2019 Posts: 23,369

James Bond Theme

Yeah, it's a bit much for a DVD. If it goes down to £12 or less, I'll consider it.

Indeed, resistance bands are good equipment, and more than enough for me really. I'll have to use door handles, and that's not optimal (for the handles).

Back on topic FYEO is a decent album to train too, though Bill Conti often delivers in that respect for example his Rocky scores.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Been replaying the CR soundtrack a lot lately - particularly Miami International, African Rundown, Trip Aces, and Fall of a House in Venice.

Great score, arguably Arnold's best overall Bond album.
    It’s a close race between CR and QoS for my favorite Arnold score, which are both top-notch for me.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    It’s a close race between CR and QoS for my favorite Arnold score, which are both top-notch for me.

I agree QoS is excellent also, I hope Arnold returns as I felt he was getting better with each score, also with the time away you would assume Arnold would have alot of fresh ideas for Bond

James Bond Theme

Back on topic FYEO is a decent album to train too, though Bill Conti often delivers in that respect for example his Rocky scores.

I've never listened to FYEO when doing a workout, but I can definitely see how it might work; his up-tempo songs on the score could definitely be suitable. Interestingly, they are also some of my favourite tracks (of the score). A Drive In The Country for example.

James Bond Theme

I've never listened to FYEO when doing a workout, but I can definitely see how it might work; his up-tempo songs on the score could definitely be suitable. Interestingly, they are also some of my favourite tracks (of the score). A Drive In The Country for example.

That's a good track I also like Runaway, spot on regarding the tempo

James Bond Theme

I really like how Runaway is used in the film. It's a moment I look forward to when watching FYEO. That's probably the best compliment I can give a track from a score; when the score itself becomes so much more than background music.

Re. Bill Conti; here's a video where he talks about FYEO:

James Bond Theme

I really like how Runaway is used in the film. It's a moment I look forward to when watching FYEO. That's probably the best compliment I can give a track from a score; when the score itself becomes so much more than background music.

Good interview, Donna Summer would have been an interesting choice. FYEO is not one of my favourite songs from the series though its very distinctive

James Bond Theme

Good interview, Donna Summer would have been an interesting choice. FYEO is not one of my favourite songs from the series though its very distinctive

Neither of them seem particularly popular, but I quite like both the FYEO theme song, and All Time High from OP. I listen to them quite regularly.

Donna Summer would have been an interesting choice, for sure.
    edited June 2019 Posts: 23,369

James Bond Theme

Neither of them seem particularly popular, but I quite like both the FYEO theme song, and All Time High from OP. I listen to them quite regularly.

Both decent there is only one Bond title track I can't tolerate the that's the abysmal Writings on the Wall.

Goldeneye - U2 demo
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    I love the majesty of this song. The rise and fall in just the right places. I can almost picture the dialogue that goes along with it. "Right and Blofeld's got it."

James Bond Theme

Both decent there is only one Bond title track I can't tolerate the that's the abysmal Writings on the Wall.

Agree. WOTW felt alright the first couple of times I listened to it, but it's not a track I've listened to after that.
    DAF is one of my favourite Bond scores, and one I feel does not get mentioned much here on the forum. I like how it varies from the more mysterious tracks like Mr. Wint and Mr. Kidd/Bond to Holland, to tracks like Airport Source, that's evocative of the sleazy 1970s Las Vegas. It's John Barry at his best.

Moonraker Freefall
    Iced Inc.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world

Murdock wrote: »

Love this piece of music, Barry was genius
  • edited July 2019 Posts: 17,291
    avtak.gif
    The bubbles tickle my…Barry!

Oh, how I love AVTAK. People can bash it all they want, but I find so much enjoyment in that film – and John Barry's score is a 10/10.
    avtak.gif

Oh, how I love AVTAK. People can bash it all they want, but I find so much enjoyment in that film – and John Barry's score is a 10/10.

Despite its obvious issues its a fun film, its better than many of films that were made after IMO
    avtak.gif

Despite its obvious issues its a fun film, its better than many of films that were made after IMO

Indeed. The entertainment value is sky high with AVTAK, which is something I feel is missing currently. There's nothing wrong with a few laughs now and then!

For OHMSS, it's easy to point out the brilliant thrilling tracks of the score, but sitting down with a beer late this evening (and the OHMSS score playing in the background), I found myself drawn towards the more slow tempo tracks – like Bond Meets The Girls. It does get a bit more dramatic toward the end, but throughout, it's just such a lovely piece of music by John Barry. It fits the scene perfectly, and just as well as slow background music.

This is John Barry at his best.

For OHMSS, it's easy to point out the brilliant thrilling tracks of the score, but sitting down with a beer late this evening (and the OHMSS score playing in the background), I found myself drawn towards the more slow tempo tracks – like Bond Meets The Girls. It does get a bit more dramatic toward the end, but throughout, it's just such a lovely piece of music by John Barry. It fits the scene perfectly, and just as well as slow background music.

Great score one of my favorites, John Barry had the ability to create bizarre and disconcerting themes.

Great score one of my favorites, John Barry had the ability to create bizarre and disconcerting themes.

Indeed. I feel the bizarreness is more apparent with OHMSS; quite fitting the late 60's and the psychedelia of that period.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible

The first piece in Bond Meets the Girls has the strings playing these subtle dissonances which have a very provocative and sensual quality to them.
    mattjoes wrote: »

The first piece in Bond Meets the Girls has the strings playing these subtle dissonances which have a very provocative and sensual quality to them.

I thought about writing more about this track in particular, but I guess "provocative" and "sensual" covers it, really. The sexual tension is at max in that scene (who wouldn't want to be in Bond's place right there), and with that track playing over it… well, it certainly doesn't tone it down!
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible

I thought about writing more about this track in particular, but I guess "provocative" and "sensual" covers it, really. The sexual tension is at max in that scene (who wouldn't want to be in Bond's place right there), and with that track playing over it… well, it certainly doesn't tone it down!

Absolutely. It's one of the most sexually charged moments in a Bond film. And I find this score contains two of Barry's sexiest cues in his entire Bond ouevre-- I'm thinking of Bond Meets the Girls and Sir Hilary's Night Out. A good number of his other softer pieces tend to aim for a slightly different feel, one that conveys deep romantic passion with a tinge of melancholy to it. No such thing here-- it's pure lust.
    They did keep reusing that Bond meets the Girls riff as a sort of Carry On Erection theme.

Absolutely. It's one of the most sexually charged moments in a Bond film. And I find this score contains two of Barry's sexiest cues in his entire Bond ouevre-- I'm thinking of Bond Meets the Girls and Sir Hilary's Night Out. A good number of his other softer pieces tend to aim for a slightly different feel, one that conveys deep romantic passion with a tinge of melancholy to it. No such thing here-- it's pure lust.

Good points. The interesting thing about Sir Hilary's Night Out is that it balances perfectly between very sensual and mysterious. I't quite incredible how Barry did it – yet it seems he did it with such ease.
    vzok wrote: »
    They did keep reusing that Bond meets the Girls riff as a sort of Carry On Erection theme.

For a moment there, you had me thinking: "There's a film named Carry On Erection?!"