Last James Bond track or theme you listened to...

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

A-ha's album version is a bit different than the soundtrack version, but both are great, IMO.

It's a shame Barry did not do another score though TLD is a good one, Necros Attacks I often randomly play.

Definitely. Would have been great with a 90's Barry score for example!
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited February 2019 Posts: 23,326

A-ha's album version is a bit different than the soundtrack version, but both are great, IMO.

It's a shame Barry did not do another score though TLD is a good one, Necros Attacks I often randomly play.

GE has grown on me though its sadly lacking, Barry would have elevated Brosnan's best film further.
  • edited February 2019 Posts: 17,279

GE has grown on me though its sadly lacking, Barry would have elevated Brosnan's best film further.

Never cared much for the GE score either – with the exception of a few tracks. It's alright when watching the film though. Listening to it randomly is more difficult.

Never cared much for the GE score either – with the exception of a few tracks. It's alright when watching the film though. Listening to it randomly is more difficult.

It's a bit too low key and drab in parts

Listening to this score, I have liked the majority of it over the years though an expanded version is needed, never checked if there was one.
  • edited February 2019 Posts: 17,279

It's a bit too low key and drab in parts

Yes, unfortunately. The best scores have a good balance between the slow tracks and the thrilling and exciting ones.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible

Someone took Barry's James Bond theme recording from the 1995 Moviola II album and pasted it on the GoldenEye gunbarrel to give us an idea of what might've been:

mattjoes wrote: »

Someone took Barry's James Bond theme recording from the 1995 Moviola II album and pasted it on the GoldenEye gunbarrel to give us an idea of what might've been:

Cheers for that, that is excellent the depth/weight in Barry's music is evident.
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    @Torgeirtrap - I haven't listened to the 'Stay on these roads' version of TLD in forever! Thanks for the post. I used to own this on cassette back in the day.

Listening to the version again I get why they removed the Bondian elements for a pop release. But damn...it really lacks the urgent edge once the Barry touches are missing. Especially the chorus and breakdown.
    I guess if aha took out the John Barry elements, they felt they were left with the track as they’d have done it. I don’t think they wanted to make it sound pop, but to make it sound aha.
    @Torgeirtrap - I haven't listened to the 'Stay on these roads' version of TLD in forever! Thanks for the post. I used to own this on cassette back in the day.

Listening to the version again I get why they removed the Bondian elements for a pop release. But damn...it really lacks the urgent edge once the Barry touches are missing. Especially the chorus and breakdown.

It certainly is quite different to the movie version! It's understandable though, as a pop-ier version might have been more popular with the a-ha fans which weren't Bond fans as well.
    vzok wrote: »
    I guess if aha took out the John Barry elements, they felt they were left with the track as they’d have done it. I don’t think they wanted to make it sound pop, but to make it sound aha.

Good point. The album version of TLD certainly feels more like a a-ha track than the movie version, which for obvious reasons had to have a specific sound.
    edited February 2019 Posts: 6,721
    The film version of TLD has a slightly disappoining mix, in my opinion. In the chorus you hear this machine gun brass bursts but they're pushed to the back of the mix-- they sound faint and lack clarity. In AVTAK they're much more clear and prominent.

I can imagine arguments taking place between a-ha and John Barry as to how much emphasis place on the synth-pop and orchestral elements in the track.

I enjoy all the versions of the song, however.
    mattjoes wrote: »
    The film version of TLD has a slightly disappoining mix, in my opinion. In the chorus you hear this machine gun brass bursts but they're pushed to the back of the mix-- they sound faint and lack clarity. In AVTAK they're much more clear and prominent.

I can imagine arguments taking place between a-ha and John Barry as to how much emphasis place on the synth-pop and orchestral elements in the track.

I enjoy all the versions of the song, however.

Listening to AVTAK and TLD now, I think you have a point @mattjoes. Simon Le Bon's voice feels more prominent than Morten Harket's. Le Bon's voice is maybe naturally a bit louder, but the mix of the track should always keep the voice of the vocalist clear and prominent enough.

Wouldn't surprise me if the arguments between the band and Barry were about the orchestral elements, and how much of it was to feature in the song.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Tonight I saw Duran Duran, live at The Filmore in New Orleans; they performed A View to a Kill , with a Bond intro and were spectacular!
    talos7 wrote: »
    Tonight I saw Duran Duran, live at The Filmore in New Orleans; they performed A View to a Kill , with a Bond intro and were spectacular!

That's awesome!!! I would have enjoyed that so much. Must have been a lot of fun!
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    talos7 wrote: »

That would have been amazing! Especially with the Bond intro, I like how much they embrace their Bond experience.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    It was an incredible show; they played hits and some deep cuts, including two favorites, The Seventh Stranger and Friends of Mine.
    Unlike most vocalist, time has made Simon a stronger performer.

This song live was sublime.

• The Dead Don't Care About Vengeance followed by I Never Left

It's really does not get much better than this phenomenal score.
  • QQ7QQ7 Croatia
    I usually fall a sleep listening to this on repeat.

QQ7 wrote: »
    I usually fall a sleep listening to this on repeat.

I was listening to The End to an Aston Martin earlier, when that track kicks in I always want it to last longer so end up repeating it several times.
  • NS_writingsNS_writings Buenos Aires
    "Dr. Warmflash" and "Out of The Snow/Stay With Me" from LaLaLand's TWINE OST. Beautiful soundtrack and sadly underrated. I daresay TWINE is my favourite from Arnold (not the action music so much, but the romantic cues and how he plays with the title tune).
    "Dr. Warmflash" and "Out of The Snow/Stay With Me" from LaLaLand's TWINE OST. Beautiful soundtrack and sadly underrated. I daresay TWINE is my favourite from Arnold (not the action music so much, but the romantic cues and how he plays with the title tune).

TND is my favorite Arnold score but I agree that TWINE has the best romantic cues. Elektra's Theme is some of his best work. Beautiful yet melancholic, which perfectly suits Elektra's character.

Superb
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I searched for "out of the snow/stay with me" for such a long time. Great track.