Last James Bond track or theme you listened to...

Comments

One of my favourites from the last 30 years

Easily one of my favourite post-eighties score tracks. Love how Arnold doesn't hold back on the brass – just like I want Bond scores to sound like.

I just watched a rescore of the SF pre title sequence with that piece of music, totally illustrates what's lacking from SF.

Interesting! Is it on Youtube?

Thanks! This illustrates what's lacking in recent scores perfectly. I really hope if it's not Arnold scoring Bond 25, that it's someone who is closer to Arnold's sound than Newman's.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

Easily one of my favourite post-eighties score tracks. Love how Arnold doesn't hold back on the brass – just like I want Bond scores to sound like.

I just watched a rescore of the SF pre title sequence with that piece of music, totally illustrates what's lacking from SF.

Thanks! This illustrates what's lacking in recent scores perfectly. I really hope if it's not Arnold scoring Bond 25, that it's someone who is closer to Arnold's sound than Newman's.

Newman had the odd moment though his scores were overall poor

Agree. The one track of his I really liked, was the least Bondian one actually – Shanghai Drive. It was a good match to that particular scene.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

Agree. The one track of his I really liked, was the least Bondian one actually – Shanghai Drive. It was a good match to that particular scene.

I liked Jellyfish and The Chimera, the latter had the grandiose Bond should have.
    edited January 2019 Posts: 23,338

This is one of the best Soundtracks (Listening to the 19 track version)
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator

I liked Jellyfish and The Chimera, the latter had the grandiose Bond should have.
    I always thought his SF work was excellent and fresh. SP's score was quite tame though.
    jake24 wrote: »

I always thought his SF work was excellent and fresh. SP's score was quite tame though.

I missed the energy of Arnold in the last two soundtracks, I felt the Newman's scores lacked urgency in key moments.

I love when he reuses the start of that one in “The Wedding”

Those were alright too. The Newman scores doesn't interest me much unfortunately; I've tried to enjoy them by listening to them now and then, but it hasn't changed my opinion of them.
    vzok wrote: »

I love when he reuses the start of that one in “The Wedding”

It's pure class

Those were alright too. The Newman scores doesn't interest me much unfortunately; I've tried to enjoy them by listening to them now and then, but it hasn't changed my opinion of them.

Newman is boring and shallow musically for the most part, I never liked his work pre Bond, when I heard he got the job I pretty much groaned.
  • edited January 2019 Posts: 17,280

Newman is boring and shallow musically for the most part, I never liked his work pre Bond, when I heard he got the job I pretty much groaned.

I was excited by Newman before SF, as I wondered what he'd bring to the franchise (same with Mendes). In the end, neither delivered something that interest me.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    I usually listen to TLD, GF and GE, depending on the mood I'm in
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Love that track! One of the best from the DAF score.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    edited January 2019 Posts: 6,724

My own favorite was I believe the first one released as a preview: New Digs. I especially enjoyed how it played with the chromatic vamp of the Bond theme. Felt suitable for a Bond film.

The rest of the score is certanily competent but comes across as somewhat perfunctory. It's not necessarily that Newman was actually indifferent to the assignment, but his music lacks the truly exciting quality that other composers brought to their work, such as Martin, Hamlisch, Conti and certainly Arnold.

Edit: The moments where I think Newman gets closest to Arnold-style excitement are in Spectre. The Tempus Fugit rendition of his action theme is much better than the one in Skyfall. Backfire is also a good one.

It's rough though I remember watching the film with my brothers and mates, we all just wanted the SF score to go for it.

Very nice. It mostly syncs up decently enough with the onscreen action, with the exception of the fight on top of the train, and is a great deal more exciting and lively than the actual film score.
    mattjoes wrote: »

My own favorite was I believe the first one released as a preview: New Digs. I especially enjoyed how it played with the chromatic vamp of the Bond theme. Felt suitable for a Bond film.

The rest of the score is certanily competent but comes across as somewhat perfunctory. It's not necessarily that Newman was actually indifferent to the assignment, but his music lacks the truly exciting quality that other composers brought to their work, such as Martin, Hamlisch, Conti and certainly Arnold.

Edit: The moments where I think Newman gets closest to Arnold-style excitement are in Spectre. The Tempus Fugit rendition of his action theme is much better than the one in Skyfall. Backfire is also a good one.

New Digs never did much for me. Can't really tell why, but still.

Perfunctory is probably one of the better ways to describe the score. It doesn't take the film to another level of excitement – it's just "there". As for the others you mention, their scores feels inspired and colourful.

This track purrs, one of my favourite sequences from the movie.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
  • edited January 2019 Posts: 17,280
    The TND score included some really nice tracks. I'd argue it's one of the best things about the film.
    The TND score included some really nice tracks. I'd argue it's one of the best things about the film.

Totally agree it's not a film I rate highly, though I had a blast watching it at the cinema because I could not stop humming the music :))

Totally agree it's not a film I rate highly, though I had a blast watching it at the cinema because I could not stop humming the music :))

Haha! I too find myself humming Arnold tracks now and then. He's made some great tunes for the Bond films over the years. Need to watch TND again soon. It must be like four years since the last time.

Haha! I too find myself humming Arnold tracks now and then. He's made some great tunes for the Bond films over the years. Need to watch TND again soon. It must be like four years since the last time.

Was thinking the same been a while since I watched it all the way through, I have been doing a reverse Bondathon though got stuck on TWINE I find that film a chore. Though I caught some of TWINE on TV recently so I may count that as my watch, I'll move onto TND next

Was thinking the same been a while since I watched it all the way through, I have been doing a reverse Bondathon though got stuck on TWINE I find that film a chore. Though I caught some of TWINE on TV recently so I may count that as my watch, I'll move onto TND next

That's an interesting way of watching the films! Never tried that before. I actually like TWINE more than TND, but that might change with the next viewing. Pierce is great in both though.

That's an interesting way of watching the films! Never tried that before. I actually like TWINE more than TND, but that might change with the next viewing. Pierce is great in both though.

TWINE admittedly has one of my favourite pre title sequences, other than GE the Brosnan films are low in my ranking

Excellent
    CR Trailer music...

AVTAK sung by Shirley Bassey...

OP sung by Shirley Bassey

Not the best production

TWINE admittedly has one of my favourite pre title sequences, other than GE the Brosnan films are low in my ranking

Yeah, the PTS in TWINE is really something. I know some don't like it, but I think it's great.

A-ha's album version is a bit different than the soundtrack version, but both are great, IMO.

A-ha's album version is a bit different than the soundtrack version, but both are great, IMO.

It's a shame Barry did not do another score though TLD is a good one, Necros Attacks I often randomly play.