The Last Movie You Bought?

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    1877d13f20d8ba44f3f11f7ed9c6a0a02c45d6ede15114b1ccc2b4ee43f288e7._RI_V_TTW_.jpg

Usually interested in Director Peter Hyams work, ('Busting', 'Capricorn One') but this is not one of his best. Connery is always good value and looks great in military uniform, but Mark Harmon is an acting vacuum, and the drama parts fall flat. A couple of good action scenes, the requisite car chase, and a nicely staged final shootout among water cooler bottles aside, this is quite an average thriller. I've been on the look out for Hyams 'The Star Chamber', which has a better concept and more satisfying as a thriller!
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited January 2023 Posts: 23,369
    Mathis1 wrote: »

Usually interested in Director Peter Hyams work, ('Busting', 'Capricorn One') but this is not one of his best. Connery is always good value and looks great in military uniform, but Mark Harmon is an acting vacuum, and the drama parts fall flat. A couple of good action scenes, the requisite car chase, and a nicely staged final shootout among water cooler bottles aside, this is quite an average thriller. I've been on the look out for Hyams 'The Star Chamber', which has a better concept and more satisfying as a thriller!

I often like Hyam's films he has a good resume with a few classics in there. Presidio in HD was going cheap, I have not watched it since it was originally released. I am only half way through the film though it is better than I remember.

I agree Mark Harmon is out of his depth, other than Moonlighting I can't really think of anything else Mark Harmon was in.

The Harmon character needed an actor with a bit more star quality perhaps a pre Die Hard Bruce Willis may have been good to play off Connery who was great, Meg Ryan was cute and I forget Jack Warden was in the film he is always excellent.

I often like Hyam's films he has a good resume with a few classics in there. Presidio in HD was going cheap, I have not watched it since it was originally released. I am only half way through the film though it is better than I remember.

I agree Mark Harmon is out of his depth, other than Moonlighting I can't really think of anything else Mark Harmon was in.

The Harmon character needed an actor with a bit more star quality perhaps a pre Die Hard Bruce Willis may have been good to play off Connery who was great, Meg Ryan was cute and I forget Jack Warden was in the film he is always excellent.

Forgot Jack Warden was in it. Yes, an excellent actor. Watched him recently in 'The Verdict' with Paul Newman, great film, great performances
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    Innqqmp9vKKQMgQnrzkyHERGrs480H_large.jpg
    agree Mark Harmon is out of his depth, other than Moonlighting I can't really think of anything else Mark Harmon was in.

Let's see : St. Elsewhere, Reasonable Doubt, Chicago Hope, NCIS. Among others.
    R1s1ngs0n wrote: »

An excellent choice, Sir/Madam/Anything in between.

• DwayneDwayne New York City

Is this a new release? In North America, Criterion released a version of THE THIRD MAN some years ago, but it is now out of print.
    Dwayne wrote: »

Is this a new release? In North America, Criterion released a version of THE THIRD MAN some years ago, but it is now out of print.
    No, it’s the out-of-print Criterion Blu-ray release from 2008. Managed to get a sealed copy for a reasonable price.
    edited January 2023 Posts: 23,369
    Mulholland+drive.jpg
    4K Restoration I love this film its a Masterpiece.

Forgot Jack Warden was in it. Yes, an excellent actor. Watched him recently in 'The Verdict' with Paul Newman, great film, great performances

Recently recorded all the episode of Crazy Like a Fox, loved that show as a kid. Jack Warden was in many Warren Beatty films great actor, he was also great in a dual role in Used Cars.
    1582981308_angel-heart-4k-1987.png
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited February 2023 Posts: 4,443
    IMG-20230211-153253.jpg
    Zulu (1964) - SCE with sleeve. € 1,50. Music by John Barry.

IMG-20230211-154113.jpg
    Watchmen (2009) - 2 Disc Steelbook. € 1,50
    M_Balje wrote: »
    IMG-20230211-153253.jpg
    Zulu (1964) - SCE with sleeve. € 1,50. Music by John Barry.

IMG-20230211-154113.jpg
    Watchmen (2009) - 2 Disc Steelbook. € 1,50

Watchman Steel Book good find, I have a several versions of the film.
    Been a few months since I bought another Lana Turner movie so I opted for this one..........

s-l500.jpg

I'm very close to completing this Lana library, and unfortunately a handful of her films have yet to be released on home media.
    This one should arrive in the mail next week. :)
    @ToTheRight - In case you missed it:
    @ToTheRight - In case you missed it:

That was great, @Dwayne ! :D
    Found that one this saturday :

Kwaidan.jpg

I've been looking for it for quite some time. Too bad the bonuses (boni ?) are few : a trailer, and a photo-gallery. Still, can't wait to watch it.
    71UWbjTH35L._SL1500.jpg?v=1676290803&width=493
    LEON_LS_front.jpg?v=1676617862
    14198662-8235007876605943.jpg
    The-Killers-1946-arrow-blu-768x959.jpg
    I have not watched this since i had it on VHS, great movie and very happy to find it presented by ARROW!
    I have not watched this since i had it on VHS, great movie and very happy to find it presented by ARROW!

A great movie. I have the Criterion Collection version of THE KILLERS - which also includes the 1964 remake.

Speaking of film noir, two recent releases from the classic era arrived in the mail this week. Containing lots of bonus material and improved picture quality, I’m really looking forward to digging in.

RAW DEAL (1948) from Classic Flix
    rawdealbr.jpg

THE LADY FROM SHANGHAI (1948) from KL Studio
    35786507_sd.jpg

.... my expert tells me that one or two later films may have been influenced by this particular scene. ;;)
    The_Lady_from_Shanghai_web2.jpg

A great movie. I have the Criterion Collection version of THE KILLERS - which also includes the 1964 remake.

Speaking of film noir, two recent releases from the classic era arrived in the mail this week. Containing lots of bonus material and improved picture quality, I’m really looking forward to digging in.

RAW DEAL (1948) from Classic Flix
    rawdealbr.jpg

THE LADY FROM SHANGHAI (1948) from KL Studio
    35786507_sd.jpg

.... my expert tells me that one or two later films may have been influenced by this particular scene. ;;)
    The_Lady_from_Shanghai_web2.jpg

Great stuff, @Dwayne ! I still need to see THE LADY FROM SHANGHAI. Looks like a great one.
    I don't think I have seen the Lee Marvin version of The Killers which surprises me.

The Arrow bluray i bought has the follwoing extras...
    A classic like The Killers deserves a wide range of special features and Arrow comes through once again, going above and beyond the call of duty with in-depth documentaries. An impressive reversible sleeve featuring one of the original posters and newly commissioned artwork by Jay Shaw makes for a stylish looking Blu-ray case. Arrow includes a 40-page collector’s booklet containing new writing by Sergio Angelini and archive interviews with director Robert Siodmak, producer Mark Hellinger and cinematographer Woody Bredell. Illustrated with original production stills, the included essays are a veritable film school of analysis on film noir and the movie itself.

Frank Krutnik on The Killers (54:12 in HD)
    – The author introduces the film and covers four pivotal scenes from the movie in a wide-ranging interview. The scholarly piece delves deeply into the film and its background. This was such an informative special feature that it should be required viewing for all film noir fans.

Heroic Fatalism (31:47 in HD) – A video essay by Philip Booth comparing the multiple versions of The Killers. It starts with Hemingway’s story and then covers the films by Siodmak, Tarkovsky, and Siegel. This is a very unusual supplement, I haven’t seen something constructed with this much care on home video in a long time. It does get a little too academic at times but provides keen insight into the differences between each adaptation in an orderly, rigorous manner.

Three archival radio stories inspired by The Killers:
    – 1949 “Screen Director’s Playhouse” adaptation with Burt Lancaster and Shelley Winters (29:51)
    – 1946 Jack Benny spoof (10:10)
    – 1958 Suspense episode “Two for the Road” (29:03)

Stills and Posters Gallery

Theatrical Trailer (1:47)

Trailers for Arrow’s other related releases: Brute Force, The Naked City, and Rififi

Arrow always do fantastic extra features on there disks with double sided covers offering alternative movie art work.

I watched The Lady from Shanghai years ago, Rita Hayworth is great in this. I did catch part of the film whilst at work recently though could not give it my full attention. It often appears on the Talking Pictures channel in the UK which plays classic films.
    14005748-1374996718855250.jpg
    14005748-1374996718855250.jpg

I like the cover, this film looks great in 4K it was made for the format.
    edited March 2023 Posts: 23,369
    Ullkaju.jpg

Music on this occasion though movie related, bought this LP today and just had to frame it being a huge Kubrick fan.
    edited March 2023 Posts: 2,020
    I watched this movie yesterday for the first time and it haunts me since. Instant purchase.
    51434_1_PICNIC_AT_HANGING_ROCK_PACKSHOT_Web_1024x1024@2x.png?v=1676556273
    I watched this movie yesterday for the first time and it haunts me since. Instant purchase.
    51434_1_PICNIC_AT_HANGING_ROCK_PACKSHOT_Web_1024x1024@2x.png?v=1676556273

Saw it recently on T.V.
    Years since I watched it, but agree, its a memorable film, and haunted is a perfect summing up of it!
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    First Bluray of 2023 for € 1,50:
    550x707.jpg
    Paper Towns (2015)
    Yay! Another LANA TURNER movie for me to enjoy coming in the mail next week.

MV5BNjdhZmFhYjYtMDJiYi00ODNmLWFhN2YtNWY1NWY0ZGJkYjE1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDIyMTQ3Ng@@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

MV5BMjAyNTlkNmQtMDk5My00ODQ0LWFlMmItMWFmNWNhMWRiZGRmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTk2MzI2Ng@@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

ToTheRight wrote: »
    Yay! Another LANA TURNER movie for me to enjoy coming in the mail next week.

MV5BNjdhZmFhYjYtMDJiYi00ODNmLWFhN2YtNWY1NWY0ZGJkYjE1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDIyMTQ3Ng@@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

MV5BMjAyNTlkNmQtMDk5My00ODQ0LWFlMmItMWFmNWNhMWRiZGRmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTk2MzI2Ng@@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

I hardly recognized Lana there pre platinum blonde.