The Trump Era (Jan 20, 2017 – XXXX) Political Discussion Including Foreign Impacts

Comments

• edited December 2016 Posts: 3,564
    bondjames wrote: »
    These "so-called anonymous sources" include members of the CIA. I trust that you can appreciate their need for anonymity.
    Indeed I can, just as I'm sure you can appreciate it would be preferable if they keep schtum until the findings of the investigation are complete, rather than running their mouths from behind the shadows (or is that trenches).

I would have also appreciated the FBI keeping mum about a matter under investigation -- oops, not really under investigation, sorry about that. Alas, such was not to be.
    I'm merely a humble supporter and believer in Mr. Trump and the 'Make America Great Again' movement and am doing my small part, as are others here like yourself, to set the record straight in an unfortunate continued environment of unhealthy denial, unprecedented vitriol and ambiguous disinformation.

Once again, you fail to understand that sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander. Given the amount of disrespect, denial and vitriol the Republicans and their lap dogs at Faux News have heaped on President Obama these last eight years, you can expect similar treatment for Herr Trump in the days, weeks, and possibly (but by no means certainly) months and years to come.
    @bondjames

- "Merely a humble supporter"?

You come across as a fanatic to me...
  • jobo wrote: »
    @bondjames

- "Merely a humble supporter"?

You come across as a fanatic to me...

It was some fairly transparent false humility at the very best, @bondjames. Get thee to the trenches! :)>-
  • edited December 2016 Posts: 11,119
    I am longing for the days when there wasn't that much controversy during the president-elect period. The USA almost feels like Berlusconi's Italy: Lots of mafia traits, lots of bullying and shouting (even after the Wisconsin recount has finished, calling the Democrats "scam!"), lots of fingerpointing, lots of establishment billionaires. In one word: "Yuk".

I have one message for Trump. Don't alienate too many of the people who have to support you on important legislation. Otherwise you turn into another Jimmy Carter....
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2016 Posts: 23,883
    I’m glad that you can see the humour in my earlier remarks @BeatlesSansEarmuffs . Unfortunately, there’s an apparent paucity of it going around these days. The transparent loathing that some are exhibiting post-election is terribly self-destructive and possibly damaging to their health and sanity. Hopefully the 5 stages of grief will progress quickly (we’ve already witnessed denial, anger & depression) to much needed acceptance.

Regarding your comments about Republican obstructionism during the Obama presidency, that’s undeniable and was unproductive for the country. Perhaps unlike you, I don’t think that it’s helpful for the Democrats to take a similar small minded tack during the next 4 (8?) years. The country can’t afford it in a world of increased competition and threat. "Stronger together"?

In other news, as expected and widely rumoured over the past week, President Elect Trump has named Rex Tillerson, CEO of ExxonMobil, as his Secretary of State. I was looking forward to hearing who he would pick for this prestigious & coveted position, as it is one of the most consequential for American interests globally. Mr. Tillerson has spent his whole career at ExxonMobil, starting in 1975. He has a background in civil engineering, and is known for his deal making skills for the company. ExxonMobil has roughly 84,000 employees all over the world, which is significantly more than the State Dept.

"His tenacity, broad experience and deep understanding of geopolitics make him an excellent choice for Secretary of State," President Elect Trump said in the statement.

Mr. Tillerson said he shares the President Elect’s "vision for restoring the credibility of the United States' foreign relations and advancing our country's national security."

Former ExxonMobil employee Suzanne Maloney, now at Brookings Institution, said: “Oil folks know stuff: anyone who manages multibillion dollar, multi-decade projects needs deep, nuanced understanding of political context… Tillerson rose to top of a company that prizes technical excellence, rock-solid financials, hard work and integrity. State could do a lot worse.”

Tillerson edged out former two time presidential candidate Mitt Romney, who was also under consideration.

"It was an honor to have been considered for Secretary of State of our great country. My discussions with President-elect Trump have been both enjoyable and enlightening. I have very high hopes that the new administration will lead the nation to greater strength, prosperity and peace," Romney wrote on Monday

Mr. Tillerson has been criticized by some on the Left and Right for apparent close ties with favourite bogeyman, Russian President Vladimir Putin. Mr. Tillerson received the Order of Friendship from Mr. Putin in 2013. ExxonMobil had previously won a contract to explore Russian controlled parts of the Arctic, as part of a 2011 Strategic Cooperation Agreement with Russian controlled oil concern, Rosneft. Exxon reportedly lost $1bn as a result of the American sanctions on Russia post-invasion of Crimea, something which Mr. Tillerson (and other oil CEOs) objected to.
    s0dqrfi.jpg

I’m not sure how I feel about Mr. Tillerson’s appointment personally. He certainly seems to be a man with some diplomatic skill, and his executive capabilities are unquestionable as CEO of one of America’s largest corporations. For those obsessing about ‘climate change’, ExxonMobil under Mr. Tillerson is publicly on record in support of accepting the established science and identifying solutions to the problem of climate change, and supports the Paris accords, in contrast to President Elect Trump. His views on other political matters are unknown however, which makes him somewhat of a blank slate. He was initially a supporter of Jeb Bush (an error in judgement in my view).

Mr. Tillerson has been publicly endorsed by Former Defense Secretary Bob Gates, Former Secretary of State and National Security Advisor Condoleezza Rice, Former Secretary of State, Treasury Secretary and Chief of Staff James Baker, and Former Vice President Dick Cheney. Senator Bob Corker, chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations and also a onetime candidate for the post called Tillerson "a very impressive individual" with "an extraordinary working knowledge of the world."

My hope is that Mr. Tillerson can rise to the occasion and become a world class Secretary of State, in the mold of James A. Baker, who in my opinion was by far the best person in that job in the last 40 years, and the last great Secretary of State.

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/12/12/politics/donald-trump-rex-tillerson-secretary-of-state-exxonmobil-ceo/index.html?adkey=bn

http://www.wsj.com/articles/donald-trump-chooses-exxon-mobil-chief-rex-tillerson-as-secretary-of-state-1481600036
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @bondjames, I think you'll enjoy this, and especially who says it:

Got to love Denzel
    "If you don't read the paper, you will be uninformed. If you do read the paper, you will be misinformed"
    Mr. Tillerson said he shares the President Elect’s "vision for restoring the credibility of the United States' foreign relations and advancing our country's national security."
    This is great stuff. This is what I want to hear from a leader. Obama never understood the time honored axiom, that you don't get anything done, unless you bargain, negotiate, from a position of strength.
    Now that we have proper alpha dogs running the country again, things can get done on the world stage. Putin wanted nothing to do with a wet noodle like Obama.

Russia is a good ally to have. Trump America will be looking to build strong bilateral relations.
    Lots of Canadian hockey players for example are playing pro hockey in Russia. And their best are playing over here in the NHL, because that's where the $$ are.
    Russia can be a stong ally. The days of Soviet Communism are over.

@bondjames seeing as the Sec of State file is filled, I do support your nomination as Mi6 Message Board ambassador to the White House.
    You have my vote. If you accept, I will forward the paperwork to President-Elect.

.....Meantime the Make America Great Again slogan is catching on.
    PGA golfers embraced it for their Make Tiger Great Again campaign supporting Tiger's return to competitive golf.

===The Hockey News was blaring a Make Canada Great Again cover, in support of our quest to recover World Junior Gold.
    The Finns are the current title holders. As the world's dominant hockey power (sorry Putin) it is our birthright as Canadians to win all major international tournaments.
    So yes indeed, Make Canada Great Again. Thanks for the inspiration Donald!

7010-Preveiw.jpg

The Donald was there for Canada, in our hour of need last spring.
    CANADAHOCKEY.png
    We are since back on track with top NHL teams this season!
    Thank you Donald!

May the force be with you both!
    facebook.jpg?1479561006
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    timmer. On an extended leave of senses. ;))
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Canada simply needs to play better hockey if their teams want to make it to the playoffs, unlike last year! The Canadiens appear to have a good shot.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Canada simply needs to play better hockey if their teams want to make it to the playoffs, unlike last year! The Canadiens appear to have a good shot.
    Oilers look good too. Flames as well. Senators should make playoffs. Jets and Leafs are at least moving in right direction.
    Canucks are awful though.
    Clearly Trump has been an inspiration. :P

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/future_tense/2016/12/how_russia_hacked_american_voters.html
    "We will never know if Russia’s prolonged hackathon of American citizens definitively changed the outcome of the election. But what is certain is that the ballots cast by Americans—not Russian malware—gave Trump enough electoral votes to win the election. And voters did not make those choices in a vacuum."

Putin approves of this election.
    @DaltonCraig007, that clip of Denzel is hilarious, and he's totally correct of course. Ironically, he reportedly took the media to task because they spread a story that he was a Trump supporter without first checking with him. It's still unclear if he is or not, but they didn't check with him first, which is the point. In his industry, if it got round that he was a supporter, it likely could impact his livelihood, so I can appreciate why he is upset.

@timmer, I'm not too familiar with Hockey, but am happy to hear that Mr. Trump's slogan is being used to encourage greatness. Canada must rightfully have a team in the playoffs next year.

@chrisisall, the purported Russian hack wasn't required to convince voters of Hillary's duplicity. That was plainly evident long before. I look forward with interest to a proper investigation and the results. The timing of the complaints and investigation unfortunately suggest sour grapes. It should have been looked into prior to the election. The same goes for the voting machine (any country that trusts voting 'machines' over hand ballots has issues). Making a deal out of it because the election went the wrong way isn't as credible as if it was done before. The National Intelligence Dept. isn't so sure of the CIA's findings and conclusions:
    http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-intelligence-idUSKBN14204E

It was a busy day at Trump Tower today. Mr. Trump met with hip hop superstar, Mr. Kim Kardashian himself, Kanye West. Mr. West had recently indicated that he did not vote, but if he did, he would have voted Trump. He had a nervous breakdown shortly thereafter but has apparently fully recovered. The President Elect’s office did not say what the meeting was about, although there were some rumours that they discussed inner city crime & poverty in Chicago. Mr. West reportedly called the meeting. Ironically, Mr. Trump may have been speaking to the man who could potentially replace him in the Oval Office in four years, as Mr. West had promised previously that he was planning to run for the presidency in 2020.
    v4Zkudy.jpg

Mr. West later tweeted about the meeting and suggested that he may postpone a run until Mr. Trump completes his 2nd term.

"I wanted to meet with Trump today to discuss multicultural issues," West wrote."These issues included bullying, supporting teachers, modernizing curriculums, and violence in Chicago. I feel it is important to have a direct line of communication with our future President if we truly want change." West tweeted, before including “#2024”

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/12/13/kanye-west-reveals-why-he-met-with-trump-teases-2024.html

President Elect Trump met today with the world’s richest man, Microsoft co-founder William Gates. Mr. Gates, a humanitarian who runs the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation with his wife, has also recently started a new ‘clean air’ investment fund with, among others, Richard Branson, Michael Bloomberg, Jack Ma & Jeff Bezos. Mr. Gates said they spoke about “big ideas” and had “friends in common”. The last part is perhaps unsurprising. I suppose the multi-billionaire social circle is a small one.
    zRY4l8X.jpg

"We had a good conversation about innovation, how it can help in health, education, impact of foreign aide and energy,".

Mr. Gates also spoke with Mr. Trump via phone a few days back and after that conversation said the following: "In the same way President Kennedy talked about the space mission and got the country behind that, I think that whether it's education or stopping epidemics, health breakthroughs, finishing polio, or in this energy space, there can be a very upbeat message that his administration is going to organize things, get rid of regulatory barriers, and have American leadership, through innovation, be one of the things he gets behind,"

Let’s see if Mr. Gates can make headway with the Trump Administration regarding clean air investments and R&D. If anyone can properly articulate the business benefits, it is he.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/12/13/after-talking-with-trump-bill-gates-likens-president-elect-to-jfk.html
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4030010/Trump-new-JFK-says-Bill-Gates-Microsoft-boss-says-new-president-unite-country-innovation-pair-meet.html

Mr. Trump also met today with former two term Texas Governor Rick Perry. Mr. Perry is expected to be named as the President Elect’s pick to head the Energy Department, although it’s currently just a rumour. This is somewhat ironic, because Mr. Perry, a former presidential candidate, famously had a 'brain freeze' on stage at a 2011 primary debate when he couldn’t remember which 3 departments he planned to scrap if he won. He was able to name Commerce & Education but couldn’t name the third, resulting in an "Oops" moment which effectively ended his campaign. A while later he indicated that the third department was Energy, but the damage was done. It will be interesting to see if the Senate will confirm him to lead a department that he at one time seemed to think was redundant. Mr. Perry is on the board of directors for Energy Transfer Partners, which is behind the Dakota Access Pipeline project. He is a climate change skeptic, having previously questioned the evidence around it. This is likely to upset some folks already concerned about the Trump Administration’s intentions with respect to the fossil fuel industry.
    6QRGbfo.jpg

Additionally, the Trump Energy transition team asked the Energy Dept for a list of employees who have attended Climate Change conferences discussing the social cost of carbon and also any publications written by employees. The Energy Dept indicated that it would not comply with the request and would respect the privacy of its employees. This is likely to create a contentious relationship with the incoming Administration, as the reason for the request is not known.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-energy-perry-idUSKBN1421PT
    http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-climate-idUSKBN1421V0

Something I noticed in Mr. Trump's tweet yesterday about his business is that he only mentioned sons Don Jr. and Eric as children who would run Trump Organization while he serves his term as president. He didn't mention daughter Ivanka. Could she have a role in his administration? Time will tell
    tPm1z59.jpg

Tomorrow will be a busy day as well, as Mr. Trump is expected to meet with several tech CEOs. On the agenda are US focused job creation and how the companies can help the Government improve its own efficiency.

@chrisisall, the purported Russian hack wasn't required to convince voters of Hillary's duplicity. That was plainly evident long before.
    So you're not okay with Hillary's duplicity but okay with the Donald's?
  • edited December 2016 Posts: 11,119
    timmer wrote: »
    facebook.jpg?1479561006

Two men who don't even know what definitions like 'self-criticism', 'nuance', 'ethics' and 'humility' mean. These two men have entirely opposite descriptions of these words, as opposed to what our vocabularies are saying.

I understand that we now live in a world in which masculinity, black-and-white thinking, macho culture, fact-less news, fingerpointing and raised fists have become the new defining elements of global power. China and Russia were already heading that way. The USA is following them with Trump. And add to that some minor masculine leaders like Duterte and Erdogan, and we have to draw some more critical conclusions to our planet. I'm not going to sum them up, but to me they aren't very nice. This new 'masculine morale' doesn't appeal to me.

Regarding Tillerson, Trump and the entire upcoming cabinet of ultra-rich billionaires and Wallstreet insiders (isn't that the first big broken campaign promise from Trump?), I prefer to be critical and use a fact-based approach to the amount of conflicts of interests that are awaiting us. I hope all people in here can be as critical.

I have to say that there's one thing I admire about Tillerson: He's an extremely gifted negotiator. And his background could do more good for USA's interests. He's more respected by those more autoritarian world leaders. Which can be helpful. And lastly, he's a realist and acknowledges that climate change caused by humanity isn't a hoax.

But really. This?
    http://www.politico.com/story/2016/12/trump-tillerson-ethics-stocks-232595
    I hope Mr Trump gets rid of all these conflicts of interest before he gets into office. Otherwise he will face hungry, deadly dogs in both Senate and House. And what we don't need now is the full exponential of Nixon's Watergate Scandal.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Old Roman saying:

If two do the same, it is never seen as the same.
  • Old Roman saying:

If two do the same, it is never seen as the same.

Old Dutch saying:

They better fuck each other while they still can :-).
    @bondjames
    Good update on the President Elect's activities and meetings.
    He's rolling up his sleeves and getting to work.
    Good stuff!
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I love the new Trump Putin partnership to knock out China for trying to create an antiaircraft base in the middle of the south china sea.
  • I love the new Trump Putin partnership to knock out China for trying to create an antiaircraft base in the middle of the south china sea.

Yeah, and suddenly the events in Crimea are all about democracy and have nothing to do with annexating. Saying one thing, means looking with the same ethical eye on other things....And it strikes me that most people in this particular topic prefer to avoid that.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited December 2016 Posts: 17,809
    And so it goes on...
  • Dragonpol wrote: »
    And so it goes on...

Yup. Sadly it does....
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I agree @Gustav, but both countries have a common enemy now, and China is growing a military presence in the south china sea, which many progressives want to ignore, unfortunately. However, it just so happens that both Trump and Putin agree on this, and the issue of China could be one that both countries bond together on, and cooperate. If it takes lifting the sanctions to get the ball rolling, I'm all for it. Besides the US has been unfairly demonizing Putin and Russia since the end of the Cold war, yet we continue to underestimate the possibility of confrontation with China. I like Trump's stance, he seems to have his eyes open to how they are knocking the hell out of the west with currency manipulation and bad trade deals. The real question is when can we begin to start work on these real issues, based on cooperation and unity, instead of the paranoid fear of a "red scare"?
    Russia, Aleppo, not cool.
  • I agree @Gustav, but both countries have a common enemy now, and China is growing a military presence in the south china sea, which many progressives want to ignore, unfortunately. However, it just so happens that both Trump and Putin agree on this, and the issue of China could be one that both countries bond together on, and cooperate. If it takes lifting the sanctions to get the ball rolling, I'm all for it. Besides the US has been unfairly demonizing Putin and Russia since the end of the Cold war, yet we continue to underestimate the possibility of confrontation with China. I like Trump's stance, he seems to have his eyes open to how they are knocking the hell out of the west with currency manipulation and bad trade deals. The real question is when can we begin to start work on these real issues, based on cooperation and unity, instead of the paranoid fear of a "red scare"?

First of all, I am a progressive and I have never ignored the growing military presence of China in the South China Sea. That's a factless assumption from your side. It worries me to hell, especially since Duterte openly starts cooperating with Putin as well. That can't be good for the USA, since The Phillippines had wonderful relationships with the USA pre-Duterte.

What I do want to show people, is that both China and Russia are two sides of a very similar coin. Where China wants to have a growing military presence in the South-China Sea, Russia wants to secure and even extend their territories via 'hidden sneeky annexations', and by making sure it turns certain bordering states into puppet states, by destabilizing their politics. China does the same thing. Exactly the same thing. China being angry over Taiwan is exactly the same as Russia becoming angry over Crimea.

It is in fact that thanks to Russia, the Phillippines stop their complaints of China's slow expansion of their territory via annexation of Philippino territory. That's a fact you tend to forget. Moreover, while you complain about China and think Russia is the better side of that coin, Russia and China are actually silently moving towards a free trade union which is very much modelled after 'that' thing many people in here hate so much: The EU.

There's one big difference though. While China in fact has a relatively innovative economy, are investing in renewable energy, and actually knows what trading is all about, Russia stays a fairly antique economy based on fossil energy. Moreover, as opposed to China, Russia actually raises lots of taxes on the middle class and medium-sized companies. As opposed to China, Russia does care even less about strengthening or creating a stable middle class.

Having said all this, I think Trump is entirely naive on global politics. If Trump thinks he can stop China, then he is dead-wrong. There's a reason Putin goes into the public about American relationships and stays silent on the ever-growing Russian-China relationships/axis: Real long-term relationships are better kept silent. USA is just show for Russia, whereas China is the real deal for them.

President Xi Jinping and President Putin have also one other thing in common: They are much smarter than Putin and actually have long-term policies in place. While I do think Trump thinks very highly of himself and thinks he is as smart as Jinping and Putin, to me his president-elect period unfolds like one big episode of The Apprentice stuffed. I could be wrong off course, but I do have a feeling he completely underestimates the power of the democratic institutions like the Congress and the Senate. Xi Jinping and Putin don't need to worry so much about that (which worries me too by the way).

Again, I am quite disappointed about the level of factual criticism in this topic.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports

Got to love Denzel
    "If you don't read the paper, you will be uninformed. If you do read the paper, you will be misinformed"
    This is great stuff. This is what I want to hear from a leader. Obama never understood the time honored axiom, that you don't get anything done, unless you bargain, negotiate, from a position of strength.
    Now that we have proper alpha dogs running the country again, things can get done on the world stage. Putin wanted nothing to do with a wet noodle like Obama.

Russia is a good ally to have. Trump America will be looking to build strong bilateral relations.
    Lots of Canadian hockey players for example are playing pro hockey in Russia. And their best are playing over here in the NHL, because that's where the $$ are.

@bondjames seeing as the Sec of State file is filled, I do support your nomination as Mi6 Message Board ambassador to the White House.
    You have my vote. If you accept, I will forward the paperwork to President-Elect.

PGA golfers embraced it for their Make Tiger Great Again campaign supporting Tiger's return to competitive golf.

===The Hockey News was blaring a Make Canada Great Again cover, in support of our quest to recover World Junior Gold.
    The Finns are the current title holders. As the world's dominant hockey power (sorry Putin) it is our birthright as Canadians to win all major international tournaments.

7010-Preveiw.jpg

CANADAHOCKEY.png
    Thank you Donald!

facebook.jpg?1479561006

Russia isn't a political ally. The only reason Trump and co. are in bed with Putin is because there is money to be made. Exxon is LOSING money because of the sanctions imposed o Russia. So here we have a U.S. company, greedy as hell, needing to lift sanctions on a foreign enemy, so it can make more money. And who is made Sec. of State? The CEO of Exxon.

Shall we also bring up his hotel in the Philippines?

You just can't make this stuff up.

At this point, I hate to say, there is absolutely no defending Trump. None. Zero. And what's hilarious is that none of this is new. Informed voters knew all of this and knew not to vote for this POS. I guess the rest were too focused on Hillary's emails for which....NOTHING WILL HAPPEN!!!!!!! Hillary is such a "crook" that the Reps and Trump are done with the issue. Talk about political sabotage. What scumbags. All of them.

Buckle up, America. The next several months will be the bumpiest in memory.
    chrisisall wrote: »
    @chrisisall, the purported Russian hack wasn't required to convince voters of Hillary's duplicity. That was plainly evident long before.
    So you're not okay with Hillary's duplicity but okay with the Donald's?
    I think Professor Victor Davis Hanson, noted historian and columnist, put it best when analyzing the election.

In a nutshell, he suggests that President Elect Trump's flaws were subjunctive. They were what he 'might' do in office, because he has never held public office. He was after all, previously a successful business man and entertainer - not a politician. Moreover, he was relatively open about his perceived flaws. He didn't hide them when confronted.

Hillary Clinton's flaws, in contrast, were indicative. She was a public servant. Her issues occurred during her time as a civil servant, and moreover, she lied to the FBI about them. That much is a well known fact. So her duplicity was far more disconcerting, at least to me & perhaps others who chose not to vote for her.
    Russia and China are actually silently moving towards a free trade union which is very much modelled after 'that' thing many people in here hate so much: The EU.
    When you can show me that their proposed free trade union has a 'free movement of people' clause, and will have a 'common currency' like the EU (the two features which are causing all the strain right now), then I'll agree with you that this possible alliance is modeled after the European model. These two countries are likely to come up with something much less bureaucratic. China and Russia share a 2600 mile border. China has an insatiable appetite for natural resources, and Russia has a supply of them. So it's inevitable that they will have common trading interests. Despite this, the trade between the two countries in the first half of 2016 was approximately $28billion, which is dwarfed by the US/China trade which amounted to a reported $263 billion in the first half of the year.

China needs the US just as much as the US needs China. The relationship is symbiotic and both countries recognize that. President Elect Trump has nominated Iowa governor Terry Branstad as his ambassador to China. Mr. Branstad has known Chinese President Xi Jinping personally for more than 30 years, and can play a positive role in relations. The Chinese value personal relationships very highly.
    GJIe918.jpg

Beijing said that Mr. Branstad was "a longtime friend of the Chinese people,"

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/dec/07/trump-administration-terry-branstad-ambassador-china

So there is more to all of this than meets the eye. Mr. Trump has a plan, and it's not as simple minded as you may think. Most top US officials know that they must ensure that the US $ remains the world reserve currency. Any attempts by other countries to conduct trade in their local currencies can negatively impact that and therefore the long run trajectory of the US economy. I'm sure they have a plan to ensure that this doesn't occur.

As I mentioned yesterday, President Elect Trump and Vice President Elect Pence met with the CEOs of several major technology companies this afternoon at Trump Tower. The meeting was arranged and chaired by Facebook board member and Trump supporter Peter Thiel & Mr Trump’s son-in-law, Jared Kushner. In attendance were Apple CEO Tim Cook, Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella, Alphabet's Larry Page & Executive Chairman Eric Schmidt, Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos, Facebook COO Sheryl Sandberg, Oracle co-chief executive Safra Catz, Intel CEO Brian Krzanich, IBM CEO Ginni Rommety, Cisco CEO Chuck Robbins, Palantir CEO Alex Karp and Tesla Motors CEO Elon Musk.

Mr. Trump introduced Wilbur Ross - his Commerce Secretary & former Goldman Sachs President Gary Cohn - Director of his National Economic Council, to the group.
    cnUVKfr.jpg

The meeting was confidential, although the President Elect allowed reporters in for the first few minutes of discussion, during which time he said his goal was “to help you folks do well”. “We have no formal chain of command around here,” he added. “Call my people” and “Call me”….“We’re going to make it a lot easier for you to trade across borders,”

There have been media reports that the tech industry and the incoming Trump Administration were previously at odds, on account of some heated campaign rhetoric. There did not appear to be any evidence of that today.

Amazon’s Jeff Bezos, who owns the Washington Post newspaper, known to be no friend of the President Elect’s, said the following: “I found today’s meeting with the President-elect, his transition team, and tech leaders to be very productive…I shared the view that the administration should make innovation one of its key pillars, which would create a huge number of jobs across the whole country, in all sectors, not just tech--agriculture, infrastructure, manufacturing--everywhere.”
    sUX5nCW.jpg

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/12/14/trump-to-tech-leaders-no-formal-chain-of-command-here.html
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/mattdrange/2016/12/14/donald-trump-to-techs-leaders-im-on-your-side/#4051691d40ce

After the meeting, Mr. Trump met privately with SpaceX founder and Tesla CEO Elon Musk and Apple CEO Tim Cook.

It was also announced today that Mr. Musk, along with Uber CEO Travis Kalanick & Pepsi Co. CEO Indra Nooyi, joined the President Elect's Strategic & Policy Forum, which is intended to advise the incoming Administration on Economic Policy. Here is Mr. Musk with Mr. Trump's daughter Ivanka at the White House Correspondent's Dinner in 2015.
    ufsw9ZC.jpg

Stephen A. Schwarzman, CEO and co-founder of asset management company Blackstone. Is the Chair of the Panel. Other members include JPMorgan Chase CEO Jamie Dimon, Disney CEO and Chairman Bob Iger, General Motors Chairman and CEO Mary Barra, IBM President and CEO Ginni Rometty, President and CEO of Walmart Doug McMillon, and former CEO of General Electric Jack Welch.

“America has the most innovative and vibrant companies in the world, and the pioneering CEOs joining this Forum today are at the top of their fields,” President Elect Trump said in the announcement. “My Administration is going to work together with the private sector to improve the business climate and make it attractive for firms to create new jobs across the United States from Silicon Valley to the heartland.”

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/trump-advisers-elon-musk-uber-ceo-travis-kalanick-strategic-and-policy-forum/
    President Elect Trump's flaws were subjunctive.

Hillary Clinton's flaws, in contrast, were indicative.

A little education is a dangerous thing. Thanks for proving that here with this superfluous extraneous tangential nebulous inconsequential verbiage.

Basically, Hillary is hated, and Trump MIGHT be hated (worse).

Thanks for playing.

• edited December 2016 Posts: 4,622
    TripAces wrote: »

Got to love Denzel

7010-Preveiw.jpg

CANADAHOCKEY.png
    Thank you Donald!

facebook.jpg?1479561006

Russia isn't a political ally. The only reason Trump and co. are in bed with Putin is because there is money to be made. Exxon is LOSING money because of the sanctions imposed o Russia. So here we have a U.S. company, greedy as hell, needing to lift sanctions on a foreign enemy, so it can make more money. And who is made Sec. of State? The CEO of Exxon.

Shall we also bring up his hotel in the Philippines?

You just can't make this stuff up.

At this point, I hate to say, there is absolutely no defending Trump. None. Zero. And what's hilarious is that none of this is new. Informed voters knew all of this and knew not to vote for this POS. I guess the rest were too focused on Hillary's emails for which....NOTHING WILL HAPPEN!!!!!!! Hillary is such a "crook" that the Reps and Trump are done with the issue. Talk about political sabotage. What scumbags. All of them.

Buckle up, America. The next several months will be the bumpiest in memory.

@trippy Thanks you for this little nugget.

Informed voters knew all of this and knew not to vote for this POS.

Very nice. This little gem synthesizes your infantile rant.. You're comments aren't worth answering of course, because they are partisan sour grapes.
    I know you are probably in counseling being a pc, foaming-at-the mouth lefty type.
    It will probably take years for you, to be able to be socialized again.
    I do understand you are going out of your fevered mind.
    There is another thread btw, where you can rant to your hearts content and no-one will challenge you, because we realize, this is traumatic for you.
    It's a safe zone, for those who are losing their shit, and those that just want to fret or talk, commiserate, dig trenches, whatever.
    It's only humane to allow a place to vent.
    You're understanding of politics and economic reality exists in an alternative universe.
    Its the stuff of moveon.org and what you guys do best is bitch bitch bitch.
    Some help though.
    Russia isn't a political ally. The only reason Trump and co. are in bed with Putin is because there is money to be made.
    You do say so.This utterance, distinction, whatever you think it is, isn't even worth making. Of course Russia is a political ally. Political ally is a very fluid term. Its not worth splitting hairs over. There is no point being made here that matters.
    Of course Trump, Exxon, Putin might be working together, because there is money to made. I would think that's a given, but thanks for stating the obvious. Money, trade does make the world go round.
    Exxon greedy! Oh my. In business parlance, greedy isn't really a term.
    In your mind I guess, the pursuit of profit equals greed, which is great, except for the little niggling detail that the whole point of a business is to make a profit and grow.
    Any business that is not growing, is by definition dying. Any business owner will tell you that. You never sit still.
    It's to Exxon's credit that they might want to lift sanctions, and the only compelling reason they might want to, would be so that they can make more money.
    Are you a socialist? Business does not exist to make money?
    The USA and Russia are political allies under Trump and Putin. Not so muc under Obama. But that's the past. Its the Trump Putin relationship that matters now.

We'll see how long it lasts. Geo-politics can be volatile.
    Both the USA and Russian are both sovereign nations, so any relationship they have is political by nature. They are countries not businesses, thus political allies but who cares.
    They are allies. Putin and Trump have served notice they want their countries to work together.
    Do understand, I am choosing to humour you here this one time, even though you are obviously in moveon.org bitch mode.
    I promise I won't have time in the future. Tonight there is no hockey game I choose to watch, so a little time there is, but I do want to catch the last hour of the Survivor finale.

We get it. though. You have an irrational hatred of Trump and American business too, it seems.
    You do have a rough, I'd say 8 years ahead of you. You do have friends I guess. Commiserate maybe. Hot chocolate. I'd stay off the booze though, you might do something crazy.
    Sorry, don't mean to be real patronizing here, but you are not making any points that matter, at least not to people that want Trump to do what he is doing and will continue to do- you know, to do what he campaigned and promised to do, although like all politicians he will break his share of promises, as scenarios evolve etc, but the main thing, is that he endevour to make the USA again a global political and economic power again. Get basic sovereignty issues under control such as immigration and national security, foreign trade etc.
    That's what we want him to do, not to mention decentralize and deregulate on the domestic front.
    So you do have a lot of ranting ahead of you, because businesses will be looking to make money and the administration will be working hard to that effect.
    Here in Canada, Trump has green-lighted the Exel Energy Pipeline which Obama's phony green posturing, had stonewalled for 8 years. This a boon to the Canadian economy, especially the Alberta oil patch.
    Those who value prosperity and robust economic activity are among the new administration supporters.
    I realize you are not inclined that way, but you had your turn.
    The Obama big government period is over.
    Time to make American great again!
    Obama can work on getting that 14 handicap down. As fore Hillary , who has none of Obama's folksy charm, maybe she could just please go away.
    Not than anyone's listening to her, but she might scare the children.
    Her continued presence is kind of creepy.
    No one in the history of American Presidential politics, I suspect, has taken defeat so bittlerly, but she is so horrid, sleazy etc, deportation to the moon for an extended stay might be the most humane course of action.

Again @bondjames Great work digging out the latest!
    Exciting times ahead....
    Yeomans work with the pictures, especially this one

ufsw9ZC.jpg

Ivanka really is quite awesome.
    This is a Bond board after all.
    chrisisall wrote: »
    President Elect Trump's flaws were subjunctive.

Hillary Clinton's flaws, in contrast, were indicative.

A little education is a dangerous thing. Thanks for proving that here with this superfluous extraneous tangential nebulous inconsequential verbiage.

Thanks for playing.
    A little snarky aren't we? Sorry I didn't make it simple for you with my earlier remarks.

Yep, I see you've got it now. Answered, and we'll move on.
    edited December 2016 Posts: 17,691
    Exxon greedy! Oh my. In business parlance, greedy isn't really a term.
    So you really ARE a hater of the poor, and mankind in general. All right, you have the right to be however fascist you want to be. This is becoming Amerika, and we love corporofascism! Profit above all else. Law of the jungle rulz. Have to thin the herd! We ARE animals after all....
    b-(
This discussion has been closed.