Albert Finney is in the new Bond 23 film

edited October 2011 in Skyfall Posts: 3,333
I've just come across this in the DM from Baz Bamigboye and thought I'd share it with you. Interestingly enough it states that John Logan has been asked to write further screenplays which must mean the demise of P&W (hooray)...

Sam Mendes wanted to spring a surprise on his high-calibre cast gathered at Pinewood studios for a script reading of the latest 007 adventure.

As the likes of Daniel Craig, Judi Dench, Javier Bardem and Ralph Fiennes sat leafing through their scripts, each stamped ‘Highly Confidential’, with every page watermarked and coded, they must all have been wondering: who on earth could the Oscar-winning director be bringing in who might leave them shaken and (pleasantly) stirred?

Try Albert Finney, a legendary actor, revered by his peers and about to make his Bond debut at the age of 75.
n executive close to the production told me: ‘It was one of those fabulous “This can’t get any better!” moments because Mendes has upped the game by bringing in Bardem and Fiennes — and they’ve already got Dame Judi Dench.

‘So you think, well, who else can they get to make this any classier?’

Finney, who has been in remission from cancer of the prostate for several years, will play a Foreign Office mandarin with powers over the Secret Intelligence Service, described to me as a reasonably big role and full of class.

The part probably makes him M’s boss, though she — as played by Judi — might not see it that way.

Interestingly, I thought Judi and Albert must surely have worked together before, because they were at the Old Vic in the late Fifties and early Sixties, but I could find no record of them ever having trodden the boards on the same stage or appearing in the same movie.

(If I’m wrong, I’m sure I’ll be set straight!) The thespians were joined at the studio by Naomie Harris who, as revealed here, will play Miss Moneypenny; Berenice Marlohe as the requisite femme fatale (are we past using the term ‘Bond girl’ in the 21st century?) and Rory Kinnear, who will play M’s chief of staff, Bill Tanner.

He will have more to do in this movie than when he played Tanner in Quantum Of Solace.

Ben Whishaw and Helen McCrory have as yet unspecified roles.

John LOGAN, who wrote Gladiator and who has been winning acclaim for his sublime script for the forthcoming film Coriolanus, has long toiled over the Bond 23 script.

And now Barbara Broccoli and John G. Wilson, keepers of the Bond movie flame, have asked him to be involved in writing other screenplays based on Ian Fleming’s famous espionage officer.

Rehearsals and camera tests continue this week, and next week shooting will begin on Bond 23, which will be released next autumn on the 50th anniversary of the first Bond film, Dr No.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2054492/BAZ-BAMIGBOYE-For-eyes--Sam-Mendes-shakes-Bond-cast-secret.html#ixzz1c3EDYW8G

Comments

It lost me at John G. Wilson
    it states that John Logan has been asked to write further screenplays which must mean the demise of P&W (hooray)...
    1) As I have detailed before, TWINE and DAD were written and re-written by other people, people who had no business writing, much less writing Bond films. CR stands out as the truest representation of P&W's work.

2) Paul Haggis was heralded as a new era in Bond writing when it was announced that he would write QOS. That ended well
    Try Albert Finney, a legendary actor, revered by his peers and about to make his Bond debut at the age of 75.
    I look forward to hearing him pronounce "James" the way he did "Jason" in THE BOURNE ULTIMATUM. It will probably sound something like "Jeymse".
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited October 2011 Posts: 4,399

1) As I have detailed before, TWINE and DAD were written and re-written by other people, people who had no business writing, much less writing Bond films. CR stands out as the truest representation of P&W's work.

2) Paul Haggis was heralded as a new era in Bond writing when it was announced that he would write QOS. That ended well
    you do realize both your points are factually incorrect...

while Bruce Feirstein had a hand in TWINE... DAD was pure P&W - they are the only 2 credited writers on that film... that ended well...

and Paul Haggis was brought on board to rewrite CR's script as well.... which is why we has brought back for QOS - but it's gone on record from the man himself, that what he handed back to the producers just minutes before the writers strike was unfinished.

who knows, John Logan could've rewritten a masterpiece from P&W's work on Bond 23... but on Bond 24, it could be complete crap...

and just because he might have been asked to work on future scripts - doesn't necessarily mean the dismissal of P&W.. it could just mean that he will be brought back to clean up their work.
    Is it the fact that its 3am here or should I actually be chuckling to myself?
    DAD was pure P&W - they are the only 2 credited writers on that film... that ended well...
    That means virtually nothing. Have you ever seen SPEED? It's got an utterly fantastic script. It's clever, funny and well-paced. Graham Yost is credited as the screenwriter ... but he admits that 97% of it was written by Joss Whedon, who did uncredited rewrites. The original draft of TWINE really played up the mystery of who was responsible, but Michael Apted's wife did work on it, putting the focus on Bond's relationship with Elektra, apparently because Apted decided Elektra was the villain and wanted more emphasis on the relationship.

As for DAD, if you look at it, there are some very intelligently-written scenes, scenes that are of the same standard as most of CR, and they feel very out-of-place compared to the rest of the film (like M being unapolagetic for burning Bond, Bond working out that the Chinese are spying on him in Hong Kong, the scene where he realises Graves is Moon and Graves' expaining how he chose to model himself on Bond). They're clearly hangovers from the original script, but the rest of it - like the single-entendres in the ice palace party - drags the rest down.
    Paul Haggis was brought on board to rewrite CR's script as well.
    No, Paul Haggis was brought on as a script doctor. His job was to take the final draft of the script ad touch it up - smooth out dialogue, remove unnecessary scenes, and so on. He only received a screenwriting credit because EON made it public before he was brought on, and because he came up with the sinking house.

Purvis and Wade get a bad rap simply because they're forced to have their names on a screenplay that isn't necessarily their work.
  • edited October 2011 Posts: 5,767
    Since when do we have thread titles claiming mere rumours as facts?
    Albert Finney joined the cast? Sounds great! But the possibility of John Logan writing the next script as well sounds even better!
    Albert Finney joined the cast? Sounds great!
    Sounds bogus - Finney is currently working on THE BOURNE LEGACY.
    Albert Finney joined the cast? Sounds great!
    Sounds bogus - Finney is currently working on THE BOURNE LEGACY.
    If he only has small roles in both movies it's not impossible for him to do both.
    It's only rumored that Albert Finney is currently working on Bourne Legacy, he's not officially signed.

I wouldn't worry so much about the crossover between the Bourne franchise and Bond, if the casting of Finney is true. The harder pill to swallow is Jeremy Renner in both MI4 and the lead in Bourne!!

I look forward to hearing him pronounce "James" the way he did "Jason" in THE BOURNE ULTIMATUM. It will probably sound something like "Jeymse".
    You're as much a fan of Haggis as I am of P&W. Though, didn't the writer's strike in Hollywood have something to do with the unpolished QOS script, which begs the question why weren't the mighty P&W brought in to finish it?

But ... I'm not a fan of Haggis. I find half his works to be pretentious drivel; IN THE VALLEY OF ELAH only exists to make a political point, while CRASH only exists to make a social point.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited October 2011 Posts: 13,350
    This would be quite something! What a cast for the 50th anniversary film! Good to hear Tanner may also have a bigger role too.

It's exciting that Logan may well have a hand in what could one day become Bond 24. Starting now may also mean the wheels are in motion for a 2014 release.

Roll on next week!
    Brilliant if true. Great actor. Always saw him as a potential M but seems like he's going to be more of a shadowy minister type figure. Could he be involved in the rumoured death of Dame Judi's incarnation? If I recall AF was in line for the Bond role himself back in the pre-Connery day. Funny how often that sort of re-casting comes along ie Julian Glover. Bond 23 is shaping up nicely. Can't wait to next Thursday!
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    But ... I'm not a fan of Haggis. I find half his works to be pretentious drivel; IN THE VALLEY OF ELAH only exists to make a political point, while CRASH only exists to make a social point.
    as do almost 75% of films made - most films exist to make point or some sort of commentary - whether it be on a personal, social, or political level..

..some are just more 'in your face' about it than others..

• Not too sure how to feel about this. Too many cooks maybe...feels like it's going to be spot the star.. :-S
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Albert Finney! Oh come on Mendes, now you are just spoiling us! =D>
    It lost me at John G. Wilson
    Exactly this makes this look fake....

as do almost 75% of films made - most films exist to make point or some sort of commentary - whether it be on a personal, social, or political level..

..some are just more 'in your face' about it than others..
    True, but in the case of Haggis, they're as indulgent as they are unnecessary. It's Hollywood liberalism at its finest.
    Like I needed another reasons to be excited for this!
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    This looks like a reheated mishmash of fact (Craig, Dench, Bardem) and rumor.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Baz Bamigboye has been very reliable in the past, so I think it's safe to say this holds some weight.
    Albert Finney = Ernst Stavro Blofeld? ;)
    Albert Finney = The Prime Minister?

Albert Finney = Q?! :)
  • I thought it was that Soccer player from years ago initially and wondered what he was doing in a new Bond release :-??

The 'other' Finney has starred in similar Bond fare in recent years despite his advancing years, I don't know much about him apart from some quick research, but whether we get to see him in the next release remains to be seen

Baz Bamigboye has been very reliable in the past, so I think it's safe to say this holds some weight.
    He's a tabloid bottom-feeder. As far as I'm concerned, his words hold no weight. If Finney is in BOND 23, then I won't credit Bamigboye with breaking the news.
    Albert Finney = Ernst Stavro Blofeld? ;)
    Albert Finney = The Prime Minister?

Albert Finney = Q?! :)
    The article suggests that if he is in, he's a bureaucrat who has amassed a lot of power and is willing to flex his muscles.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited October 2011 Posts: 4,450
    Mabey M her husband. Albert Finney is from 1936, Dench is from 1934.

M her husband or lover been seen in CR (Villiers calling wit M) and in QOS.

I always expect a bigger part for M her husband in Bond 23 or Bond 24. Mabey he replacing Simon Russell Beale the actor who last week be canceld.

In my fanart i go one step further. In connection with unyused material from the short story of QOS. That part include a Goverment guy and what we have in CR/QOS Correct a goverment guy. As M her husband i choose for Jared Harris because i have another thing in mind for the chacter and then a younger age & his English accent be very inportent. This be before i saw him in Mad Men and after i think indeed be the person for the part.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Mabey M her husband. Albert Finney is from 1936, Dench is from 1934.

M her husband or lover been seen in CR (Villiers calling wit M) and in QOS.

I always expect a bigger part for M her husband in Bond 23 or Bond 24. Mabey he replacing the actor who last week be canceld.

In my fanart i go one step further. In connection with unyused material from the short story of QOS. That part include a Goverment guy and what we have in CR/QOS Correct a goverment guy. As M her husband i choose for Jared Harris because i have another thing in mind for the chacter and then a younger age & his English accent be very inportent. This be before i saw him in Mad Men and after i think indeed be the person for the part.
    ??! WHAT? ??! #-O
    I think he means he wants to see M's husband have a bigger role in the film. We saw him asleep in CR and heard him off-screen in QOS, but Balje evidently thinks we should see more of M's home life, and that M and her husband should be used for a retelling of the Quantum of Solace short story. He also thinks that Jared Harris would be an appropriate choice for the role.
  • Or it could be a role like Sir Robert King in TWINE.
    Did nobody bother to read the article? I might think little of Bamigboye, but I can read:
    Finney, who has been in remission from cancer of the prostate for several years, will play a Foreign Office mandarin with powers over the Secret Intelligence Service, described to me as a reasonably big role and full of class.

The part probably makes him M’s boss, though she — as played by Judi — might not see it that way.
    The (supposed) role is not M's husband, and not M's friend, but M's "boss": someone in the Foreign Office who has amassed an unhealthy amount of power, and is proceeding to use it for his own ends - probably to influence the direction of an investigation or the interpretation of intelligence. He'd be self-important, focusing on the ideal rather than the reality (ie seeing things the way he wants to see them instead of the way they actually are). In other words, a career politician.
  • quantumofsolacequantumofsolace England
    As it's been reported in a tabloid I'm taking it all with a pinch of salt the size of the Schilthorn - but I'll be delighted if Albert Finney is on board. He's one classy actor. Just check out films such as 'Saturday Night And Sunday Morning', 'Charlie Bubbles' and 'Gumshoe' to see what he's capable of. (Okay, these were all a long time ago - but when you're THAT talented you never lose it!)