The Man from U.N.C.L.E.: original series & films

Comments

Cavill talks about the Solo character and the "dry humor" that will be in UNCLE. No slapstick for him though! In these interviews you can see Solo's boyish charm coming through. If played right UNCLE will give us what 007 has lost over the last few years.

http://media.theage.com.au/selections/big-red-pvc-boots-to-fill-4530343.html
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Cavill must have been fairly certain that he was not going to be the next Bond to accept the role of Solo; that, or, he prefered the tone that Uncle will be going for.
    delfloria wrote:
    Cavill talks about the Solo character and the "dry humor" that will be in UNCLE. No slapstick for him though! In these interviews you can see Solo's boyish charm coming through. If played right UNCLE will give us what 007 has lost over the last few years.
    Amen to that. Of any other franchise, Uncle has the best potential to rediscover the old Bond magic, that's been lost with the new series, mainly because Uncle is a blatant Bond derivative.
    Cavill sounds like he's got a good head. I do like his body of film work. He plays his characters with both humour and conviction. He should be able to help with getting the young Hammer in shape as well.

• delfloria wrote:

I watched the video. Cavill certainly said the right things. We'll see. Trying not to get excited until filming actually starts.

Is this going to be a period piece and take place in the 60's or is it just going to have that vibe. With the popularity of Mad Men, I think a period piece would work.
  • talos7 wrote:
    Is this going to be a period piece and take place in the 60's or is it just going to have that vibe. With the popularity of Mad Men, I think a period piece would work.

It's being done as a period piece.

talos7 wrote:

It's being done as a period piece.
    Sweet!

• talos7 wrote:
    Cavill must have been fairly certain that he was not going to be the next Bond to accept the role of Solo; that, or, he prefered the tone that Uncle will be going for.

I think Cavil's pretty committed to another franchise right now. UNCLE is probably going to be one-and-done, it's not a long-term career move like Bond would be. Henry gets the fun of being "almost-Bond" for a little while before he has to put on the cape and the Big Red "S" again. Sounds like a great game-plan to me!
    I grew up with the TV series. It great the Man of steel team up with Mask man to the Star in Man From UNCLE. That great. Now will the Walther P38k which was used by the TV series. Can any new Walther replace the either WK380,p99 PPQ to be used. I hope so with a fix silencer. Remember the reunited movie in 1983 when Clint Eastwood reprise his Dirty Harry role & Sean Connery & Roger Moore were competing in the 007 movies & Christopher Reeve playing Superman 3rd time & George Lazenby did a uncredited part in the Return The Man from UNCLE as the spoof James Bond helping one them to escape the bad guys.
    talos7 wrote:

I think Cavil's pretty committed to another franchise right now. UNCLE is probably going to be one-and-done, it's not a long-term career move like Bond would be. Henry gets the fun of being "almost-Bond" for a little while before he has to put on the cape and the Big Red "S" again. Sounds like a great game-plan to me!

Warner Bros has long range plans for UNCLE. Cavill may be doing Solo for a while if the first one does well.
  • edited July 2013 Posts: 4,622
    Warner Bros does seem to be all-in regarding Uncle. You've got two major young stars, coming off summer blockbusters as Superman and The Lone Ranger, starring in the lead roles, plus the Downey Jr Sherlock Holmes Director. Combine with what should be a big-budget and serious production values, and we could have another big franchise.
    It could fall flat too, but the intention does seem to be to rekindle the old magic.
    Back in the day, Uncle released 8 films to the international theatre market, along with the 4 season TV show.
    I am hoping that if Uncle can successfully re-capture the '60s spy vibe, Eon might take notice and shift Bond back in a similar direction.
    Latest interview:

The star's next project is action comedy The Man from U.N.C.L.E., in which he plays spy Illya Kuryakin alongside Henry Cavill in the role of Napoleon Solo.
    Armie explained a little more about the Guy Ritchie-directed projected, which doesn't yet have a release date.
    "I get to play; I get to play a spy, it's gonna be a sh*t load of fun," he grinned.
    "[Guy's] great; you show up and he's like, 'Hey, let's sit down and write a scene' and you're like, 'What, right now?' and he's like, 'Yes, right now' and you sit down and write a scene with him."

http://www.tv3.ie/entertainment_article.php?locID=1.803.874&article=107468

As reassuring as Cavill's interviews are, Hammers are alarming.
    Dude's helping write scenes! Yikes :-O
  • timmer wrote:
    Dude's helping write scenes! Yikes :-O

Dude, Hammer's comments in interviews aren't making me happy.

What idiot at WB decided the best way to resurrect TMFU franchise was to turn it into a comedy? My level of interest has just plummeted for this film.
  • bondsum wrote:
    What idiot at WB decided the best way to resurrect TMFU franchise was to turn it into a comedy? My level of interest has just plummeted for this film.

To be fair, we don't know *how much* humor is really in the script. Cavill and Hammer have made much different-sounding comments.
    Maybe, @MrWaverly, but my guess is Hammer is no doubt the comic relief to Cavill's straight guy. I don't mind humour in the film but I hope to god it's not a send up like the Starsky & Hutch or Charlie's Angels remakes.
  • bondsum wrote:
    Maybe, @MrWaverly, but my guess is Hammer is no doubt the comic relief to Cavill's straight guy. I don't mind humour in the film but I hope to god it's not a send up like the Starsky & Hutch or Charlie's Angels remakes.

I concur, re: Starksy & Hutch, et. al. (add I Spy to that list also).
    Here a newer interview with Hammer from AICN that has him talking about it being a Cold-War Spy Thriller:

Capone: Let me ask you about THE MAN FROM U.N.C.L.E. Where are you with that?

AH: We're moving ahead. I mean we are full steam ahead.

Capone: Do you know when you start shooting?

AH: August.

Capone: What is it you are going to be doing in that exactly?

AH: I play Illya Kuryakin, the KGB agent, and then Henry Cavill will be playing Napoleon Solo. It’s basically a cold-war spy thriller.

Capone: Will there be some humor tucked away in there?

AH: It’s Guy Ritchie, so it’s going to have that great aspect to it of getting dark, but also “I like watching these two guys hate each other,” and “I like watching these two guys hang out.”

At least Armie is not DIRECTING it.
    I think we are in good hands. Ritchie is driving this bus. Cavill is a good egg, serious actor. The two of them I think will be more than enough to keep Hammer in tune with the program.
    I'm sensing that Ritchie is after the vibe of the original series - ie a stylish spy thriller.
  • timmer wrote:
    I think we are in good hands. Ritchie is driving this bus. Cavill is a good egg, serious actor. The two of them I think will be more than enough to keep Hammer in tune with the program.
    I'm sensing that Ritchie is after the vibe of the original series - ie a stylish spy thriller.

Despite some of his remarks, Hammer certainly has turned in good performances. I saw him in J. Edgar and he seemed solid enough. While I've had fun with some of his comments, I also know you can't really evaluate until there's some footage to see.

I just wish he were a tad more articulate. Then again, what counts is how he comes across on-screen.
    Depending on the outcome, the powers that be at EON could be asking themselves 'Why did we not hire him(Richie)?' or ' Thank goodness we didn't go in that direction'.
    In a way this is sounding a bit like FRWL territory. Eon has chosen to go a particular way with Craig leaving UNCLE to fill a gap in current spy film style. In any case it's not really competing with Bond anymore than Indiana Jones or Sherlock Holmes does because it's going to a period piece.
  • HMSS Weblog post: 11 new questions about the U.N.C.L.E. movie. Includes a new illustration of Cavill and Hammer as Solo and Kuryakin:

http://bit.ly/16UdxeM

or:

http://hmssweblog.wordpress.com/2013/07/05/11-new-questions-about-the-u-n-c-l-e-movie/
    Nice read above. That's a good little summary of what we know.

I do like this artwork borrowed from here
    http://hmssweblog.wordpress.com/2013/07/05/11-new-questions-about-the-u-n-c-l-e-movie/

unclemovie.jpg?w=300&h=298
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I will SO see this movie. Everything I've read about it screams 'event'!
    Cavill has said that he took not getting the role of James Bond pretty hard; I bet he's looking forward to showing what he can do in the role of a super-spy
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    talos7 wrote:
    Cavill has said that he took not getting the role of James Bond pretty hard; I bet he's looking forward to showing what he can do in the role of a super-spy
    Not crazy about him as Superman or Bond, but IMO he will make a PERFECT Solo, and I predict a long and fruitful life for him in that role if he chooses to pursue it! Ethan Hunt, your reign as top dog TV spy big movie do-overs is at an end!
    (Can you tell I'm enthusiastic?)
    Yes, as well you should be! Warners has big plans for U.N.C.L.E. so let's hope it does well.
    Long live the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement!
    Humanity's global defence against the tyrannical forces of THRUSH!

U_N_C_L_E_-logo-symbol-The-Man-From-UNCLE-TV-show.png