The Man from U.N.C.L.E.: original series & films

Comments

• edited August 2013 Posts: 4,622
    @delfloria Excellent article linked two posts above. The writer has a real good grasp on the series's appeal.

I love this bit.

"Hero worship was in the air, even among schoolboys half their heroes' age. At 13, my friends Paul and Harry and I wrote to the U.N.C.L.E. fan club and asked to join the organisation. Through the post came a document confirming that we were all assigned to Section Two, "Operations and Enforcement", and should be available for active duty at 24 hours' notice."

I do occasionally, when wearing a suit, feel compelled to grab my official Uncle briefcase (which contains the official dvd collection) and march out the door on mission with handy communicator pen, tucked of course into inside pocket.
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 2,115
    Deleting message. That photo apparently wasn't intended for public consumption so I'm deleting the link. (It was just the two actors sitting and smiling for the camera.
    The photo is all over the internet. Just google Cavill and it'll turn up. It may be just the two of them in a pub or whatever but it's still the first time the two actors have been seen together. The NEW Solo and Illya......... Kinda.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Can't wait to see the look of the suits they'll be wearing.
    Proof London has signed on to do the previsualization animation.

Here is an interesting Bond connection:

From "art of the title" website interview with Daniel Klienman who created the credit sequence for SKYFALL.

What are some of your favorite title sequences in general, whether film or television?

As a child I loved the opening to The Man From Uncle. The way Napoleon Solo stands behind the bulletproof glass being shot at perhaps subliminally influenced my mirror scene in Skyfall.

So that's why it seemed familiar to all of us UNCLE fans.
  • John Mathieson listed by IMDB as the U.N.C.L.E. movie's director of photography:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0558822/
    doubleoego wrote:
    Can't wait to see the look of the suits they'll be wearing.

One of Solo suits will be black and of course reflects a 60's style.
    And Franceco Giardiello will be supporting Mathieson as the 4K digital technician.
    Looks like Quirky Rides.com will be supplying some unusual 60's cars to the production.
    This film is sounding awesomer and awesomer by the day!!!! :)
    Mystery car being built at the studio for the production. No, it's not the Piranha. That would be too small for Cavill and Hammer to fit in. Wouldn't make any sense either.
    They are building a "Checkpoint Charlie" set for the film at the moment.
  • delfloria wrote:
    They are building a "Checkpoint Charlie" set for the film at the moment.

Any photos of this on the internet?
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited September 2013 Posts: 13,350
    With filming said to start on Saturday, hopefully a press release is forthcoming. I hope this isn't another Mad Max, where the latest film is shot in one year but doesn't come out the the year after. I want to see this in 2014!
    2014 is the 50th anniversary of U.N.C.L.E. and there is no Bond competition so it is a good bet it will be out next year. Filming actually starts on the 9th.
    OK, thanks for the filming update @delfloria. Any idea how long production lasts for?
  • Hey delfloria i'm calling you out! Came here today to find info for the movie to see you've been using a lot of my stuff LOL!

See below

http://laneyboggs2001.tumblr.com/post/59413553611/thanks-to-quirky-rides-they-conformed-that-berlin

• Samuel001 wrote:
    OK, thanks for the filming update @delfloria. Any idea how long production lasts for?

Not speaking for DelFloria, but it was announced that the Superman-Batman movie that Henry Cavill will be starring in will start filming in early 2014. A more specific date wasn't given. It was announced the Detroit area will be the home base for the production. The state of Michigan is kicking in $35 million in incentives in return for $131 million of spending within Michigan.
    Sorry laneyboggs2001 for not referencing you. You've been getting a lot of very impressive intel and everyone appreciates it. My apologies for not being thorough.

Production will last until the first few weeks of Dec.
  • It wasn't cool to see my info, some of it almost word for word here, but i'll give you the benefit of the doubt! May i ask who's your source that informed you filming was on the 9th not the 7th?
  • They're making sets to resemble Berlin in leavesden studio plus extras were fitted for German soldier costumes today, also this guy was on twitter couple of days ago.

http://laneyboggs2001.tumblr.com/post/59699573845/manfromuncle-peter-stark-is-a-london-based-german

Very hard getting good info for this film since WB is still focused on BatmanvsSuperman hence me coming here to share and get some news!
    I thoroughly understand and I should have referenced that the recent info came from your tweets. Again, my apology.

The 7th, even though it appeared in Variety, was always wrong and that the date has always been listed on the studio schedule as the 9th.

It is tough to find info because unlike the Bond films or Batman they are setting up the publicity from scratch.

Without a doubt....... Thanks for sharing.

Welcome to MI6
    edited September 2013 Posts: 13,350
    Thanks for all the information guys. Welcome along @laneyboggs2001.

• Samuel001 wrote:
    Thanks for all the information guys. Welcome along @laneyboggs2001.

Thank You! :) @Samuel001

• delfloria wrote:
    The 7th, even though it appeared in Variety, was always wrong and that the date has always been listed on the studio schedule as the 9th.

May i see the studio schedule is it online somewhere?
    I wish the studio schedule was online. That would make things a lot easier in regards to piecing this all this stuff together. All I have is the start and stop dates.

Are you a long time UNCLE fan?
  • Not a diehard fan, enjoyed the show very much, but it was my love of the new cast and director which brought me here, where did you get the start and stop dates if u don't mind me asking?
    No problem, I got them from my own direct studio sources. Anyway, the 7th never made sense because it fell on a Saturday.