The Man from U.N.C.L.E.: original series & films

Comments

• edited August 2015 Posts: 389
    Maybe because Cruise is a bit weird and they don't want to get into a conversation with him LOL :))
  • RC7RC7
    Let's see. I am also curious why no journalists or editors asking Tom Cruise "When are you going to quit your role as secret agent Ethan Hunt-IMF?" Daniel Craig receives this question constantly, and he only did four films so far. It's more valid to scrutinize the "M:I"-franchise now instead of the 53-year old Bond franchise.

The question of 'who will be the next James Bond' is a part of popular culture. Who is the lead in M:I isn't nearly on the same level.
    Maybe because Cruise is a bit weird and they don't want to get into a conversation with him LOL :))

He's a producer too. Similar to Barbara Broccoli & Michael Wilson. So instead of nice fan questions with no specifics, some critical questions should be asked as well.
  • edited August 2015 Posts: 2,115
    The North American Film Companies have been looking for years for a James Bond type franchise with a strong American central charater and UNCLE/SOLO could be it, some will say that Mission Impossible fits that bill, but that's more an ensemble piece and lets be honest how long will the franchise last once Cruise hangs up his Stunt Pads, plus in the next one could we not have the IMF/HUNT disavowed as that plot line's wearing a little thin.
    Going back to the music score, I've always thought that when making a movie taken from a popular TV show it's always better to bring existing fans along with you and to any real fan, the UNCLE theme is instantly recognisable and a vital part of the ethos as is the Uncle Special which does seem to have made into the movie at least in some form.

The UNCLE Special is in the movie. Illya uses it. It's been in the trailers. (This version of the Special does use a different base gun.)

http://www.desktopimages.org/pictures/actor-armie-hammer-in-us-english-hollywood-film-the-man-from-uncle-wallpaper-81484.jpg

Also, to amplify a post made earlier in the thread: recall that Tom Cruise was in the running to play Solo in the UNCLE movie. It's possible he used that as negotiating leverage with Paramount for M:I 5. He exited UNCLE in May 2013.
  • re: using TV themes in movie adaptations. There have been other instances of a TV theme getting the short shrift.

In 1979, Jerry Goldsmith scored the first Star Trek movie. The original theme was relegated to the "Captain's log" entries. Meanwhile, Goldsmith did his own main title, which would later be used for Star Trek: The Next Generation. A number of other Star Trek films either downplayed or didn't use Alexander Courage's theme. And the first six movies were with the original cast of the TV show.

As I've said, I'd prefer Goldsmith's UNCLE theme be in the movie in a bigger way.
    Theme or no theme the original Illya loves the new film.Catch his great interview about the original series and movie here. From the U.N.C.L.E. Inner Circle group: http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2015/08/06/actor-david-mccallum-loves-man-from-uncle-reboot/
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    delfloria wrote: »
    Theme or no theme
    That is the question.
    Whether ’tis nobler in the mind to suffer
    The slings and arrows of outrageous themelessness,
    Or to take arms against a sea of copywrites,
    And by opposing bend them? To buy: to seek;
    No more; and by a seek to say we end
    The heart-ache and the thousand natural shocks
    That themeless is heir to...

• Query (as Robert Ironside used to say): A year ago, how many people who frequent these forums could have hummed the UNCLE theme?
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    edited August 2015 Posts: 3,675
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Theme or no theme
    That is the question.
    Whether ’tis nobler in the mind to suffer
    The slings and arrows of outrageous themelessness,
    Or to take arms against a sea of copywrites,
    And by opposing bend them? To buy: to seek;
    No more; and by a seek to say we end
    The heart-ache and the thousand natural shocks
    That themeless is heir to...

My God, Hargreaves! The man's a modern Shakespeare.
    Query (as Robert Ironside used to say): A year ago, how many people who frequent these forums could have hummed the UNCLE theme?

Not me.

Query (as Robert Ironside used to say): A year ago, how many people who frequent these forums could have hummed the UNCLE theme?
    Me, boy.
    :))
    There is an UNCLE theme?
    But seriously, in an age where composers don't dare to work thematically, inserting an old theme would not necessarily save the world.
    Well at least there is a nod to the theme half way through.
    How man

How many members on these forums had even heard of "the Man from U.N.C.L.E." a year ago?

• edited August 2015 Posts: 11,119
    How man

How many members on these forums had even heard of "the Man from U.N.C.L.E." a year ago?

LOL, and the competing "Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation"-topic has the same number of views. Furthermore this topic has 39 pages, the "M:I"-topic has got 41 pages.

Ooowh, by the way? I saw a HUGE billboard near the highway today, containing the UK Quad poster of "UNCLE", on my way to work (Barcelona TO Sabadell)
  • edited August 2015 Posts: 1,661
    The North American Film Companies have been looking for years for a James Bond type franchise with a strong American central charater and UNCLE/SOLO could be it, some will say that Mission Impossible fits that bill, but that's more an ensemble piece and lets be honest how long will the franchise last once Cruise hangs up his Stunt Pads, plus in the next one could we not have the IMF/HUNT disavowed as that plot line's wearing a little thin.

It was bizarre to think Tom Cruise was the first choice to play Solo, not Cavill. He pulled out of the role. I don't why Cruise would want to play two spy characters in two spy films - heck, that's just greedy! Still, at least Harrison Ford wasn't asked to play the role. :P
    AAAAARGH!! I TOLD EVERYONE!! DANIEL PEMBERTON ISSSS THE NEW JOHN BARRY!! BARBARA AND MICHAEL???? BUY/STEAL THIS DANIEL PEMBERTON FROM U.N.C.L.E. TO 007!! DANIEL PEMBERTON MAKES JOE KRAMER LOOK LIKE A PUSSY. Sorry, haddd to say this :-P. I tell you, this will get nominated for an Oscar :-P!

Anyone???? What an amazing track. And I only heard thissss track. Aaaargh.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    edited August 2015 Posts: 9,020
    The soundtrack album is fabulous. Bought it yesterday.
    There are many fantastic instrumental tracks on it.
    If you like We Have A Location you'll love the rest too.

It truly sounds like a Bond soundtrack of the 60's in places.
    But I doubt Pemberton would work with this sound in a new Bond movie.

Just be careful to get the Bonus Track version, which includes 4 more score songs.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    That was pretty amazing. Not gonna lie. I can't wait to see this movie.
    and check out Pemberton's soundtrack for last year's The Game. That one is even more Barry-esque.
    I'm listening to the entire score. It's like....drugs for my ears. So utterly magnificent. At times reminiscent of James Bond or John Barry, but it has some Ennio Morriccone-sound to it as well. The Italian vibe is so wonderfully executed.
    I have the soundtrack since yesterday and have listened to it 3 times.

It is utterly fabulous!

Now I'm really looking forward to this movie! It might just be Ritchie's masterpiece!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    The soundtrack is ok, but that girl in her underwear is the dealbreaker.
    Oh, okay... I'll see it anyway then...
  • RC7RC7
    If there's one thing this film has done, it's got people who value Oscars and status and all that lark, talking about a bloke who several years ago was providing music for factual shows such as 'The Great British Menu'. Just goes to show, you can be a major talent without all that baggage.
  • edited August 2015 Posts: 11,119
    RC7 wrote: »
    If there's one thing this film has done, it's got people who value Oscars and status and all that lark, talking about a bloke who several years ago was providing music for factual shows such as 'The Great British Menu'. Just goes to show, you can be a major talent without all that baggage.

True, but eventually those talents win those Oscars. They bring a new 'sound' with them. Similar to what Thomas Newman did back in the 1990's. And prizes are for those who are the best.....is my plain simple conclusion.
    The track "The Unfinished Kiss" is so utterly wonderful. Tears in my eyes....
    AAAAARGH!! I TOLD EVERYONE!! DANIEL PEMBERTON ISSSS THE NEW JOHN BARRY!! BARBARA AND MICHAEL???? BUY/STEAL THIS DANIEL PEMBERTON FROM U.N.C.L.E. TO 007!! DANIEL PEMBERTON MAKES JOE KRAMER LOOK LIKE A PUSSY. Sorry, haddd to say this :-P. I tell you, this will get nominated for an Oscar :-P!

Holy COW!! I just listened to this and @Gustav_Graves you are SO right!!!
    No reservations then; I'm in!
  • RC7RC7
    RC7 wrote: »

True, but eventually those talents win those Oscars. They bring a new 'sound' with them. Similar to what Thomas Newman did back in the 1990's. And prizes are for those who are the best.....is my plain simple conclusion.

The point I'm making is that people in here flag up Oscar winners as being ripe for Bond when in fact there are a lot of talented people out there. It would be cool for Bond to break some talent, rather than court existing 'top tier' players. Everyone's (justified) excitement about Pemberton proves this.