The Man from U.N.C.L.E.: original series & films

Comments

• edited August 2015 Posts: 11,119
    RC7 wrote: »
    If there's one thing this film has done, it's got people who value Oscars and status and all that lark, talking about a bloke who several years ago was providing music for factual shows such as 'The Great British Menu'. Just goes to show, you can be a major talent without all that baggage.

True, but eventually those talents win those Oscars. They bring a new 'sound' with them. Similar to what Thomas Newman did back in the 1990's. And prizes are for those who are the best.....is my plain simple conclusion.

The point I'm making is that people in here flag up Oscar winners as being ripe for Bond when in fact there are a lot of talented people out there. It would be cool for Bond to break some talent, rather than court existing 'top tier' players. Everyone's (justified) excitement about Pemberton proves this.

I think it's merely a nice 'cool' tidbit if a Bond composer gets nominated for an Oscar. A sense of proudness and recognition. That's the only thing for me.

But when it comes to a composer for a Bond score, I don't look at his Oscar-status nor his inexperience. What counts for me is, if he can pull it off. Thomas Newman pulled it off for me, full 100%. And based on the "UNCLE"-score, I also think Daniel Pemberton could really pull it of. Or Henry Jackman.

What counts for me is the person's material he can compose due to his talent, regardless of a huge Oscar-resumé or an inexperienced resumé.

Courting talent is nice and 'cool' like you say, but it isn't guarantee for a successful and magnificent score either.
  • edited August 2015 Posts: 1,661
    Sorry to lower the tone but..

http://uk.eonline.com/news/684351/henry-cavill-got-an-erection-while-shooting-a-sex-scene-for-the-tudors-and-had-to-apologize-profusely

Oh boy. ;)) I know some people think Henry's acting is wooden but this is taking it too far! :D
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    Sorry to lower the tone but..

http://uk.eonline.com/news/684351/henry-cavill-got-an-erection-while-shooting-a-sex-scene-for-the-tudors-and-had-to-apologize-profusely

Oh boy. ;)) I know some people think Henry's acting is wooden but this is taking it too far! :D

=))
  • RC7RC7
    If there's one thing this film has done, it's got people who value Oscars and status and all that lark, talking about a bloke who several years ago was providing music for factual shows such as 'The Great British Menu'. Just goes to show, you can be a major talent without all that baggage.

True, but eventually those talents win those Oscars. They bring a new 'sound' with them. Similar to what Thomas Newman did back in the 1990's. And prizes are for those who are the best.....is my plain simple conclusion.

The point I'm making is that people in here flag up Oscar winners as being ripe for Bond when in fact there are a lot of talented people out there. It would be cool for Bond to break some talent, rather than court existing 'top tier' players. Everyone's (justified) excitement about Pemberton proves this.

I think it's merely a nice 'cool' tidbit if a Bond composer gets nominated for an Oscar. A sense of proudness and recognition. That's the only thing for me.

But when it comes to a composer for a Bond score, I don't look at his Oscar-status nor his inexperience. What counts for me is, if he can pull it off. Thomas Newman pulled it off for me, full 100%. And based on the "UNCLE"-score, I also think Daniel Pemberton could really pull it of. Or Henry Jackman.

What counts for me is the person's material he can compose due to his talent, regardless of a huge Oscar-resumé or an inexperienced resumé.

Courting talent is nice and 'cool' like you say, but it isn't guarantee for a successful and magnificent score either.

I said 'breaking' talent, not 'courting' it.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    This person didn't care for the film.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/72634
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I'm surprised AICN are still operating.
    The tracking by the better tracking sources is not good. Good reviews, if it earns them, will mean nothing. We see countless examples of poorly reviewed films that get killer BO, and great reviews counting for nothing. I'll be really surprised if it opens in the US at anything over $20m.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    I don't see it becoming a huge hit either. Sadly in Switzerland (or Germany) there is next to nothing marketing wise and the TV Show is not known that much here. So the target audience will not even know that there was a TV show.

Another Kingsman happening is not very likely.

Anyway, for us fans of the genre, it will make a fine addition to the collection. I don't believe in a sequel anyway, no matter how big the box office might be.
    Cavill simply couldn't do a sequel before 2020!!!
  • edited August 2015 Posts: 725
    I don't see it becoming a huge hit either. Sadly in Switzerland (or Germany) there is next to nothing marketing wise and the TV Show is not known that much here. So the target audience will not even know that there was a TV show.

Another Kingsman happening is not very likely.

Anyway, for us fans of the genre, it will make a fine addition to the collection. I don't believe in a sequel anyway, no matter how big the box office might be.
    Cavill simply couldn't do a sequel before 2020!!!

I think that's a big part of the problem for the film to overcome. Outside of the US, film goers aren't familiar with the TV show, and even in the US, the younger audience isn't familiar with it either since it ran on TV years ago.
    talos7 wrote: »
    This person didn't care for the film.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/72634

Have yourself a laugh and read this review.......... what an idiot.
    And another good review.
    delfloria wrote: »
    And another good review.

A very encouraging review and although UNCLE won't make as much money as SP from everything else UNCLE is said to offer, SP has a lot to live upto. A bunch of spy movies are trying to kick down the doors of the Bond palace and seize control of the spy throne....it's imperative that Bond come October ensures the competition don't get close enough to even see the drawbridge.

Still, I can't wait for UNCLE to come out on Friday. Tesco are selling season 1 of the original show for £20 if anyone is intetested.
    I love your remark @DoubleoEgo :-P.

These are exciting times

:D
    doubleoego wrote: »

These are exciting times

Have you read this article already :-P?
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/man-uncle-heralds-return-spy-813989
  • Well I already know it's gonna be better than Fantastic Four and I haven't seen either of them yet.
    These are my 10 favourite tracks from the "The Man From U.N.C.L.E."-soundtrack (composed and conducted by Daniel Pemberton). I find these the best, but I did rate all other 11 tracks composed by Pemberton as well (I did excluded the 7 theme songs).

And on average this was my rating for the entire score: 7.7/10. In all honesty, it is really really good. And better than Joe Kraemer's score for "Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation", which I gave a 6.8/10.

Why I love this score? It's entirely memorable. The motifs and melodies really stick to your head. And it is indeed a true espionage soundtrack, though with some believable retro flavors (1960's moogy synth sounds, xylophones, Russian clavesimbels, harps, lots of delicate German flutes and a great deal of strings). On many occassions you can hear John Barry's Bond sound and even Ennio Morriccone pops up every now and then. I think this score has an outside chance of being shortlisted for the Oscars:

"03 - His Name Is Napoleon Solo" (my rating: 9.0/10):

"06 - Mission: Rome" (my rating: 8.5/10):

"15 - Into The Lair / Betrayal Part 1" (my rating: 8.0/10):

"16 - Laced Drinks / Betrayal Part 2" (my rating: 9.5/10):

"20 - Take You Down" (my rating: 8.0/10):

"21 - We Have Location" (my rating: 9.5/10):

"22 - A Last Drink" (my rating: 8.5/10):

"24 - The Unfinished Kiss" (my rating: 9.5/10):

"25 - The Red Mist" (my rating: 8.0/10):

"27 - Warhead" (my rating: 8.0/10):
    doubleoego wrote: »

These are exciting times

Have you read this article already :-P?
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/man-uncle-heralds-return-spy-813989

Now I have. Thanks.
    @Gustav_Graves

I believe Pemberton might have a change at the Academy at one point if he continues to do such fabulous work. U.N.C.L.E seems to be released at the wrong time for Oscar consideration. The Academy strangely nominates mostly movies that fall into the Awards-season.

Alexandre Desplat is another great composer who is very melodic and does mostly memorable soundtracks. I'm a fan of his since a long time and he finally got honoured this year at the Oscars.

Pemberton might go a similar way. Let's hope so.
  • I think releasing it so close to the new Mission Impossible was a huge mistake. It's the same genre and having seen TV spots for both today within a couple of minutes of eachother, MI looks really exciting and fun while UNCLE just looks really hammy and generic ("hold on cowboy", really?). Plus MI is an established franchise and already has strong word of mouth. Idk, unless it manages to blow people away and get good reviews I can't see it doing particuarly well (won't do bad, won't bomb or anything but I don't see it being as big as Kingsman and I don't think it'll do well enough to kickstart a franchise), which is a shame because I really like Guy Ritchie. Although actually maybe if this doesn't work out he'll finally be forced to make The Real RocknRolla [-O< So could be for the best.
    Murdock wrote: »
    I felt Kingsman was a black comedy of sorts. It did have some jokes in it and took the piss at times. It's just not a typical Bond spoof.

It didn't take the piss (one line about spy films being too serious hardly makes it a parody) and it had jokes sure but so do Bond films. Idk if I'd call it a comedy, I mean were jokes but not enough to make it a comedy imo, the story it was telling was played straight. It had Bond elements but it didn't mock them, it embraced them and used them seriously. It was a homage not a spoof.
    I think releasing it so close to the new Mission Impossible was a huge mistake. It's the same genre and having seen TV spots for both today within a couple of minutes of eachother, MI looks really exciting and fun while UNCLE just looks really hammy and generic ("hold on cowboy", really?). Plus MI is an established franchise and already has strong word of mouth. Idk, unless it manages to blow people away and get good reviews I can't see it doing particuarly well (won't do bad, won't bomb or anything but I don't see it being as big as Kingsman and I don't think it'll do well enough to kickstart a franchise), which is a shame because I really like Guy Ritchie. Although actually maybe if this doesn't work out he'll finally be forced to make The Real RocknRolla [-O< So could be for the best.
    Murdock wrote: »
    I felt Kingsman was a black comedy of sorts. It did have some jokes in it and took the piss at times. It's just not a typical Bond spoof.

It didn't take the piss (one line about spy films being too serious hardly makes it a parody) and it had jokes sure but so do Bond films. Idk if I'd call it a comedy, I mean were jokes but not enough to make it a comedy imo, the story it was telling was played straight. It had Bond elements but it didn't mock them, it embraced them and used them seriously. It was a homage not a spoof.

Did you listen to the 10 tracks from the "UNCLE"-soundtrack I've posted?
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Videos not available.
    talos7 wrote: »
    Videos not available.

Have you tried downloading it via http://www.soulseekqt.net/news/node/1 ? It's the best ad-free music download program at the moment. You'll find the score there now.
    Spotify, Apple Music....
    Spotify, Apple Music....

I'm not a big fan of Spotify and Apple-Music, because you don't get the physical mp3 anymore. Unless you really buy it on Amazon....or if you download SoulSeek. Once you have SoulSeek, you immediately throw away this commercial-laden online music tanks. Yuk, I despise them :-P.
    Yeah, I just meant it is a means to listen to music you're interesting in but don't want to spend money immediately.

I activated Apple-Music and I love it because of all the hand-made playlists they offer. That's simply fantastic.

But I will always buy the music I like and want physically as files or CD if it's a Special Box or something like that.
    Yeah, I just meant it is a means to listen to music you're interesting in but don't want to spend money immediately.

I activated Apple-Music and I love it because of all the hand-made playlists they offer. That's simply fantastic.

But I will always buy the music I like and want physically as files or CD if it's a Special Box or something like that.

I will show you my own mp3 Jukebox I have collected over the past two decades :-P

that's the number of songs I have in my iTunes library now, of course all paid for (I'm old-school) :))

Up to 2008 I bought CDs, since then I've been downloading from Amazon or iTunes.
    Very nuanced and respectable review from ComicBookMovie.net. A big fat 4 stars, with some good criticism on what could have been done better. Good to read that this film has been edited perfectly, and could actually deserve an Oscar for that. And also good to read this:
    While it may not be as good as James Bond, I definately enjoyed this movie just as much if nor more than the Mission Impossible franchise.
    http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/LeMeFansite/news/?a=123360

And here, a wonderful comparison between "Mission: Impossible 5 - Rogue Nation" and "The Man From U.N.C.L.E.":
    http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/08/07/movies/09summerspies-feature.html?_r=0