The Award Winning : 'Bond...comments while you watch...'

Comments

• edited October 2022 Posts: 15,785
    I just love the Crab Key section.
    Pure adventure.
    Bond takes a nap on the beach.

I still say NTTD should've ended with Bond awakening here on Crab Key to Honey's singing. The missiles hit Bond and we cut to Connery waking up.The Craig era turns out to be a nightmare Bond has while asleep here.
    :D
    I'm actually watching a Connery collection DVD I got for Christmas last year.
    Same Lowery transfer. Looks pretty good, though.
    Listen both you! There are no such things as DRAGONS......what you saw was something that LOOKED like one.
    I love the bit of Bond killing the one guard in cold blood with Honey's knife.

"Cause I HAD to!".
    Bond and Honey's clothes are completely clean moments later and 007 clean shaven.
    He'd probably have a shadow by now.
    I love Connery's reaction's to Honey's story: complete disapproval of the man's attack on her, then awe inspired shock at her revenge.
    Sean Connery was great at subtle emotion.
    ...........again another great look on Connery's face after John Kitzmiller is burned to death.
    I love this bit a sthey're captured and taken to Dr No's lair.
    Great stuff!
    The shower scene is pretty funny.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    One final note from me about DN. One Million Dollars?!!! Even in 1962 that wasn't a lot of money. Hell, even some of the film noirs that we know and love from the 1950s had production budgets in that range.

Its' simply unbelievable what they were able to accomplish.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    ...........again another great look on Connery's face after John Kitzmiller is burned to death.
    Great stuff!

And if you pause the picture as Honey finishes....... :))
    Dwayne wrote: »
    One final note from me about DN. One Million Dollars?!!! Even in 1962 that wasn't a lot of money. Hell, even some of the film noirs that we know and love from the 1950s had production budgets in that range.

Its' simply unbelievable what they were able to accomplish.

Exactly. I wouln't be against future films dropping their budgets a bit to see how creative they can get with limited means. Could mean a bigger profit if the film itself is well directed and exciting.
    Bond takes a beating. For years this was probably the most violent Bond film. That's hard to fathom today, but this is pretty gritty.
    The heating vent section is one of my favorite scenes in the series. I used to like to re-enact this scene when I was a kid.
    Dwayne wrote: »
    Great stuff!

And if you pause the picture as Honey finishes....... :))

YES!
    YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Great viewing of DR NO!
    I like this car chase even better than the PTS of QUANTUM OF SOLACE.
    Sean Connery's facial expressions make it more action packed, and exciting.
    I like to mimick that Connery expression any time I change gears.
    I like this car chase even better than the PTS of QUANTUM OF SOLACE.
    Sean Connery's facial expressions make it more action packed, and exciting.
    I like to mimick that Connery expression any time I change gears.

Mind you, Craig makes some interesting faces in that car chase too!!
    So I crashed my car into my apartment building this week.

I usually back in, but on this particular occasion I decided to pull in frontwards. The parking lot was built over a well, which I usually park next to or over. For whatever reason, I drove over the indentation of the well, and my foot slipped from the brake to the gas pedal....and BOOM.

It happened too fast for me to react.
    I felt like Bond driving his DB5 into the wall at AURIC ENTERPRISES, except I destroyed two beams that support a roof awning to the entry way.
    My neighbors rushed out to see if I was okay. My vehicle only had a slight dent in the hood.
    I'd have assumed it would've looked like Craig's DB5 in the PTS for

NO TIME TO DIE

But barely a scratch. I helped my landlord install temporary beams until permanent ones are installed later this week. He really could've been upset, but it didn't seem to bother him at all. Luckily the officer that filled the accident report didn't give me a huge a$$ ticket. I got off light.

I need to see Bond cause some property damage, however, this probably isn't the film for this occasion, but I'm in the mood for it.

Half way thru as Bond returns to Mi6.

I do love this M scene.
    The halfway point is where this film seems to mostly divide fans including myself.
    Safin meets Madeleine. I may be one of the few fans that really likes Safin as a villain.
    He is rather underwritten, but it doesn't bother me too much.
    Some of these scenes could've been trimmed, though. Reduce the runtime.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    There's a video of a parked car plunging into a well that was concreted over. It's surreal to see it bob up and down for a few seconds before the tail lights disappear into the darkness.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Safin meets Madeleine. I may be one of the few fans that really likes Safin as a villain.

I think Malek was fantastic in the role, but I agree, the writing lets him down. Same with Waltz as Blofeld.
    I can't emphasize how much I appreciate Fiennes' M look in this movie.
    His clothes and haircut are spot on. Very classic old school.
    Love the M/Bond scene as Zimmer incorporates some OHMSS music .
    M's classic office is much more dimly lit in the Craig era.
    I think it works, though.
    QBranch wrote: »
    There's a video of a parked car plunging into a well that was concreted over. It's surreal to see it bob up and down for a few seconds before the tail lights disappear into the darkness.

Very interesting!

I think Malek was fantastic in the role, but I agree, the writing lets him down. Same with Waltz as Blofeld.

Yes. I feel Christoph was short changed as Blofeld from the get go. Best just to roll with it and not dwell too much on the script's shortcomings, then I can appreciate him more.
    Alternate universe Bond.
    I suppose compared to what Fleming wrote, the Moore era could be considered an alternate universe Bond, too.
    A celebration of all that is Ernst Stavro Blofeld.

Blofeld isn't buying Bond's BS.
    Gummy worms.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited October 2022 Posts: 7,518
    I’m happy to compartmentalize the Craig era as it’s own thing. I’m always so optimistic before a new Bond films… ‘here’s a chance to fix the Blofeld problems created in Spectre’ I said… I’m so naïve.
    Bond loses his cool for a moment. Craig's performance in this scene seems to get some flack, but I think he's great.
    I love Bond's trench coat thingy.

Here we get into family territory that really isn't Bond 's forte at all.

That said, I could picture Roger Moore's Bond having a family and kids.
    He was on THE MUPPET SHOW afterall, and if the child needs disciplining, he can just push them into a river.

Craig plays these scenes beautifully, though.
    I’m happy to compartmentalize the Craig era as it’s own thing. I’m always so optimistic before a new Bond films… ‘here’s a chance to fix the Blofeld problems created in Spectre’ I said… I’m so naïve.

I've felt like that, too. Can't decide if the problems created in SPECTRE are ignored here, or made worse. Either way it is what it is as far as Blofeld is concerend.

I do like this chase section. Some exciting moments here.
    Funny to realize one year ago today I caught this film in the cinema for my second viewing. Mixed feeling about it then. My schedule was difficult to manage and I couldn't really relax and enjoy the film as I had to be to work afterwards. I kept checking the time. The cinema was pretty empty. Not since LICENCE TO KILL had I sat in a theatre watching a new Bond film with practically no one else in attendance.
    Considering the shortcomings of this film, it's divisivness, the ending, Safin's vague motivation, Blofeld, etc...............
    ................imagine if Safin had randomly turned out to be DOCTOR NO and it's revealed at the end here.
    More salt in the wound. One rumor I'm glad turned out false, though I wouldn't be shocked if that had been the orginal plan.
    The legendary climax.

I do love this setting, perhaps more so than most of the other Craig endings. It is very Bondian and classic.

If I were to rank the Craig era climaxes in terms of their setting, this film would be number one.

SKYFALL would be a close second. Dominic Greene's hotel setting was pretty cool, but nothing astonishing, and CR's sinking building was just okay for me.
    The abandoned MI6 setting in SPECTRE was lame.