The Award Winning : 'Bond...comments while you watch...'

Comments

DAD is a Train wreck though once you look past it, you can definitely have fun with it.
    Im loving it i must say atm...its moving up to #18th place at this rate..
    It's a great thread for random Bond chat @barryt007
  • LordBrettSinclairLordBrettSinclair Greensleeves
    edited January 2017 Posts: 167
  • edited January 2017 Posts: 19,339
    It's a great thread for random Bond chat @barryt007

Thanks pal,it does seem to have seriously taken off,but its a great place to put your thoughts out there,and its amazing the things we point out that we might have forgotten if we waited....

BTW i am loving the Ice battle between the Aston and Jaguar in DAD...always have....so cool...and Bond has just shot the crystal chandelier to spear Zao....now comes the tricky ending,lets see.

I love the Iced Inc. theme, hope Arnold returns at some point to the series.
    I do too...his CR is inspired...just proves you dont know what you have until you lose it ..
    Arnold definitely improved over the films he did, QoS is also excellent he really was maturing in his craft. Though I understand Mendes has his team he likes to work with [-(
    He might have his team but Arnold was definately getting in the groove and rythm that the great John Barry did...shame..
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    DAD is a Train wreck though once you look past it, you can definitely have fun with it.

That's what I was getting at: a lot of fun, but as an official Bond installment, they could've done much, much, much better.

• edited January 2017 Posts: 19,339
    And DAD has just finished...the verdict is that it stays where it is...FYEO & YOLT can breath again...that final third is not good...DAD stays at #20 .

And that is my final Bond watch for today,a rare chance to watch 2 of them.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    Not watching Bond, but on similar lines... watching Bad Neighbours, and I seem to remember back in '06 Rose Byrne almost being confirmed as Vesper Lynd. That would have been interesting.
    she would have been a good actress choice for Vesper...very talented.
  • LordBrettSinclairLordBrettSinclair Greensleeves
    While watching TND and TWINE it hit me again how wasted Brosnan was.

Perfect Goldeneye, then may be best PTS of all the movies in TND. After that downhill, fast.

Shame. Started very promising. But TND becomes more silly by the Minute and TWINE is as bad as Skyfall. 2 least good movies in Bond.
  • NSGWNSGW London
    While watching TND and TWINE it hit me again how wasted Brosnan was.

Perfect Goldeneye, then may be best PTS of all the movies in TND. After that downhill, fast.

Shame. Started very promising. But TND becomes more silly by the Minute and TWINE is as bad as Skyfall. 2 least good movies in Bond.

Yeah in another time Brosnan could've been great, he had some of the worst material to work with, the dialogue in TND and TWINE in particular lacks any kind of subtlety, even for Bond films.
    Haven't posted much in this past week or so, so it's easily time for some Bond.
    YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE playing now.
    Titles...............one of my favorite themes. Great Binder sequence as well.
    The Blu-ray is clean and clear. Noticed a different voice over Sean's "Yes sir" to M between the stereo and mono mixes.
    I wonder what Sean would have looked like in OHMSS? Such a dramatic change between this film and DAF. Maybe it's the hairpiece? Charles Gray's hair here reminds me of Chrisoph Waltz.
    The classic knife in the back bit.
    John Barry defines Bond! Great music here.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Haven't posted much in this past week or so, so it's easily time for some Bond.
    YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE playing now.
    Titles...............one of my favorite themes. Great Binder sequence as well.

Always a fun one. That was pretty much the first Bond film I saw where I was old enough to kind of know what was going on (I was probably six or seven). My parents had taken me to earlier entires, but I remember those more as dynamic images and a few key scenes.
    I remember first seeing YOLT on ABC network when I was in 4th grade. Amazingly it wasn't as butchered as the other Bonds. I loved it immediately. It's just pure fun.
    I supposed the "bored looking" Connery complaints could apply to the ride to meet Osato and the shot of him in the elevator. He looks more annoyed to me than bored, though.
    Okay he perks up a bit when he sees Helga landing in the helicopter.
    "He fell into a pulverizer at the works" . Hilarious! I like how Mr Fisher really doesn't seem to give a s**t about his poor colleague who gained great face with the company.
    Bond making out with Helga.
    I like how he looks a tad disheveled. Karin Dor's great. Underrated Bond girl IMO, and great in Topaz.
    Little Nellie accompanied by her father...........and the 007 theme to which I am humming along with. I wished they bring this back!
    Bond making out with Helga.
    I like how he looks a tad disheveled. Karin Dor's great. Underrated Bond girl IMO, and great in Topaz.

I've always loved Helga Brandt, one of the more underrated Bond girls, in my opinion. The awkward back-and-forth they share in Osato's office is great, as Bond keeps waiting to find some evidence he left the night before, like the body of the driver in the cubby where the alcohol is kept.

"Mr. Osato believes in a healthy chest."
    "Really?"
    *gulps down champagne*
    @Creasy47
    Helga's great. I look the look of relief on Sean's face after she opens the cabinet door.
    Space scenes: I think the model work looks impressive on the Blu-ray. I'll take this over today's empty souless CGI equivalent any day.
    Space scenes: I think the model work looks impressive on the Blu-ray. I'll take this over today's empty souless CGI equivalent any day.

I'll take obvious model work/stunt doubles over bad CGI any day. They're both noticeable, but at least an air of danger and excitement is kept with practical stunt work, knowing it's actually unfolding in front of you and not the result of some computer input.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

I'll take obvious model work/stunt doubles over bad CGI any day. They're both noticeable, but at least an air of danger and excitement is kept with practical stunt work, knowing it's actually unfolding in front of you and not the result of some computer input.

Obvious CGI tends to ruin what otherwise could be an impressive scene, whereas practical stunts and effects are more exciting. Even if one can tell it's Martin Grace instead of Roger Moore, Bob Simmons instead of Connery, etc. For that shot, they ARE Bond. I believe John Glen told Rick Sylvester before he skied off the Asgard: "Remember; you're James Bond!".
    Volcano climax as exiting now as it was when I saw YOLT for the first time.