The Award Winning : 'Bond...comments while you watch...'

Comments

• mattjoesmattjoes matjoevakia
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    The contrast in the gunbarrel is more so here than the other Roger's.
    The HD version has high contrast. In the DVD, the image is washed out. I think I recall you mentioning that originally the film print had a red tint. Was the contrast in the print like in the Blu-Ray?

If I had to pick a favorite opening shot the circle opens on in the series, this may be the most breathtaking.
    Agreed. And I love the circle tracks a moving vehicle. They did the same in OP, of course.

You know, for some reason, I have all that dialogue that begins with Q saying "then I bring the two images together" memorized.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    An awesome watch of AVTAK. My love for this one just keeps going up. This Bondathon has really switched up some rankings for me. Very interesting!

You've got me in the mood for A VIEW TO A KILL now.

Another go-to film which should probably triumph many others in my rankings, but ultimately usually ends up somewhere in the middle.

Gun-barrel! Yay Roger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If I had to pick a favorite opening shot the circle opens on in the series, this may be the most breathtaking.
    I don't count the ones in which the gunbarrel doesn't actually open. Otherwise, QoS might give this a run for it's money.

The Beach Boys cover reminds me of a solid rendition one might here at an open mike.

Wow. Barry never fails. I love the music cue as Bond enters the ice sub and flirts with Mary Stavin.

Sigh. Oh well. We'll see...........................

Of course, perhaps all is not lost in that Fukanaga is apparently a strong supporter of this entry?

A water pistol?

Green one that is.

Roger and Lois Maxwell had amazing chemistry. I love Patrick MacNee. A legend.

Enjoy! Very fun film.

I’m in the middle of FYEO now. Good stuff.

That would have been my other choice today. You enjoy as well!

Bond is busted.
    So I've ascertained what looks the most different about Roger in this film for me. It's not the mole removal though that does help. I've never been 100% sold on the theory he had a face lift prior to filming. It's his eyebrows. They've been obviously colored in and look thicker. I did a play a couple years ago when my eyebrows were colored in slightly and I thought it made me look like Roger in AVTAK. I looked at least 15 years older when the makeup person was done.
    Nevertheless contrary to popular opinion, Roger looks amazing in this film to me. Leaner, meaner and yet undeniably Roger.
  • edited July 2019 Posts: 12,287
    I’ve never thought about it before, but the warehouse shootout in FYEO is one of my favorite action sequences in the series. Just great stuff.
    mattjoes wrote: »
    The HD version has high contrast. In the DVD, the image is washed out. I think I recall you mentioning that originally the film print had a red tint. Was the contrast in the print like in the Blu-Ray?

Agreed. And I love the circle tracks a moving vehicle. They did the same in OP, of course.

You know, for some reason, I have all that dialogue that begins with Q saying "then I bring the two images together" memorized.

I remember the film looking very bright and colorful in the theater. The red of Maydays dress, the Golden Gate Bridge and of course the GB blood really stood out.
    The flesh tones looked normal, though and not too magenta. Roger looked tanned.

I do think the Blu-ray looks reasonably close to the film in the cinemas, except the titles seem darker, especially that opening shot of the model unzipping her jacket.
    Personally I think the early laserdsic by CBS/Fox Home Video is probably the most true version in terms of the color timing. I was pretty obsessed with color settings when I was a kid and thought the VHS tape by CBS/Fox Home Video actually had right look.
    Keelhaul scene is another excellent moment. FYEO really is an awesome entry for my tastes.
    I’ve never thought about it before, but the warehouse shootout in FYEO is one of my favorite action sequences in the series. Just great stuff.

I always liked it. Sneaky Bond, action Bond and the famous "Roger punch".
    Glen’s Moore Bond films get better and better for me every time. FYEO definitely has a shot at making my Top 10 after today’s watch.
    Glen’s Moore Bond films get better and better for me every time. FYEO definitely has a shot at making my Top 10 after today’s watch.

I love the Glen films. All five of his films feel like Bond films to me, even LICENCE with it's deviation from formula. I think because he had done 2nd unit direction, and edited previously, he knew Bond inside and out. I kind of wish Barbara and Michael would just promote a director from within the Eon mantle the way Cubby did. The drawback to that in this day and age , and with our luck, it would probably be Purvis and Wade directing.

I'm on the bit where Zorin's about to flood the mines and Bond has discovered his plot with Stacey. I really love Barry's cue here. Helps Stacey's monologue as well.
    Bond casually looks at the chart and immediately realizes they have less than an hour.
    Zorin rests the barrel of his revolver on the hand rail. LOL .

Barry’s score in AVTAK is one of his best. Love all of it. And yes Glen just got Bond. All his films have the classic Bond touch.
    Zorin starts killing everybody and laughing about it.
    My Mom really deplored this scene. It made her not want to see another new Bond film with Roger if they were going to be this violent. Yet, four years later she liked LICENCE. Tim gets a pass for being in a violent Bond, Roger does not. My Mom preferred MOONRAKER era Roger.

I wonder if there was water and electrical wires present on the B25 set the day Grace Jones supposedly walked away from her cameo?
    Zorin is completely enthralled by the sight of Bond dangling from the blimp above the bay. I like the little wave he gives before Bond crashes into the bridge.
    I was going to count the number of times Roger goes OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRHHHH but forgot.

THAT is NOT the soap!
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited July 2019 Posts: 23,530
    Resuming my reverse Bondathon, next up is Goldeneye
    Menu up on the Bond50 Bluray, I still have mixed feelings about the films score, though one positive is it gives a unique feel to the film.

INITIATE MISSION...
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    This film has a great cast for the most part (sorry Boris)

I do like the gun barrel and theme on this one

This film is slick and tightly directed

Immediately I feel like I am watching a Bond film, there are some good shots in this pre title sequence
    The bunjee jump looks great certainly on wide screen Bluray, for too long we had to make do with a chopped version of this film.
    The blacks really do look phenomenal on my TV, certainly the almost silhouetted Bond
    Waiting six years was worth it for this great opening to GE, I was buzzing in the cinema Bond is back!!!
    I still can't understand what 006 says to 007 whilst holding a gun at him in there first encounter from our POV. Great scene Janus is a great villain and really gives Brosnan something to work with on his debut.
    I Iove moments like Bond wheeling the cage for cover which confuses the enemy, it just illustrates Bond's audacity
    I am willing to ignore physics for the plane jump
    Great theme one of the best post LTK
    One major compliment to Campbell's two films is they always feel fresh and infused with energy when I rewatch them.

The Ferrari and Aston Martin scene is great, it cleverly keeps the pace from the pre title sequence going.
    GE in the space of several minutes has successfully given the viewer several facets of Brosnan's Bond personality
    This is such a great movie, there are many subtle allusions to previous films that are none intrusive. Unlike some films that followed with a sledgehammer approach to nostalgia
    The Monaco scenes have some good visual story telling
    Boris has the worst passwords in the history of cinema
    Xenia is top tear villain IMO
    A Q/Bond gag is the inspiration for the worst Bond title track
  • mattjoesmattjoes matjoevakia

On a related note, I look back fondly --and not very critically-- on the more naive portrayal of computers back in the 90s. I'm reminded of the film Copycat, a fine thriller in which computers and the internet are kind of magical. I also recall Michael Douglas moving through a virtual library in Disclosure.
    mattjoes wrote: »

On a related note, I look back fondly --and not very critically-- on the more naive portrayal of computers back in the 90s. I'm reminded of the film Copycat, a fine thriller in which computers and the internet are kind of magical. I also recall Michael Douglas moving through a virtual library in Disclosure.

True and it always occurs to me the mainstream audience perception of what happens in films (things are dumbed down often), I was a computer programmer in 1990's Boris's ineptitude was highly amusing.