The Award Winning : 'Bond...comments while you watch...'

Comments

• Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    Sorry chaps - much like kerim bey's mistress calling him away from work - I have to pick my wife up from work! Really enjoy doing the group watch though. Will definitely try to make it for another one soon. Enjoy my favourite bond film!
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    Back to the salt mines... :) Have a good night @Major_Boothroyd !
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Dream Bond location for me, definitely in my top 5 of must visits that I haven't been to. This scene underground in the canoe through the underground canals is so cool.

Is that a set? I assumed so.

Real place! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basilica_Cistern
    My nephew is going to college in Philly. Doesn't seem to have much of a social life, I should have sent him over to watch Bond with you @MooseWithFleas !

Nice, which college does he go to? My social life right now consists of feeding a newborn often in the middle of the night :))
    Met Martine Beswick at a convention a few years back, wonderfully nice person. Also wrote Aliza Gur the other gypsy girl in the scene for an autograph and she wrote back a very nice letter along with a few signed pictures.
    My wife works at Drexel, not a professor, but at one of their research institutes.

Fun bit of trivia: The original James Bond whom Ian Fleming named the character after worked and did research through the Academy of Natural Sciences at Drexel!
    Vavra thanks you for saving his life, you are now his son. I want to be other peoples sons just for getting them out of a pinch!
    The pacing, build up, and tension of the Kirilenko death scene is so perfect - capped with some humor to bring levity after all the tension, should have kept her mouth shut...
    My wife works at Drexel, not a professor, but at one of their research institutes.

Fun bit of trivia: The original James Bond whom Ian Fleming named the character after worked and did research through the Academy of Natural Sciences at Drexel!

That is great to hear about the connection.

Ask your wife if she knows Marley Jacobs.

Will do! https://drexel.edu/now/archive/2015/November/James-Bond-Academy/
    Don't have any Turkish Raki (filthy stuff!), so I will pour myself a dram of scotch for the 2nd half of the film now that Tatiana has entered the picture
    I light up a giant doobie.

Do you have a match?
    Until they go wrong...
    I always laugh at that little toddler walking down the boat aisle during Bond and Tatiana's encounter. That little baby can always look back and say they were in a Bond film. The little girl is probably 57 years old now.
    CR was a stroke of genius needed and delivered at the perfect time. The problem is that the general public might not have the same interest as everyone is crazy about overly fast paced CGI driven action sequences with very little story or character driven elements.

I want to hear more about M and Bond's interesting Tokyo experience!
    I always laugh at that little toddler walking down the boat aisle during Bond and Tatiana's encounter. That little baby can always look back and say they were in a Bond film. The little girl is probably 57 years old now.

Did you ever notice the woman and kid that suddenly pick up their pace to get out of the shot in LTK?

Yes!!! It's like the mom said c'mon move it move it move it! Definitely an awkward extra moment :)
    What are your thoughts on the Mission Impossible movies today? I haven't seen them to be honest, but it sounds like a lot of hardcore Bond fans think MI is outpacing Bond and that's what Bond should be looking to do.

I tend to disagree, same thing happened during Bourne series. Bond should be the trendsetter and not the follower. The other series may have great mini-runs, but no one can last forever like Bond!
    One of my favorite scenes is the conversation that begins with Bond and Tatiana on the boat, moves to M's office, then to Moneypenny's desk, back to M, and ends with Bond and Kerim Bey reading a M's cable. It is so complex, but drifts through basically unnoticed.

It really is... while developing each character - even the extras!!! When M turns back on the audio and the other men around the table all lean back in to hear the juicy details.
    It seems to work because of Cruise's charisma and the over the top stunts, which I admit when done using practical effects are pretty cool. But once he goes, so will the series. It would be a mistake to try to copy them in my opinion.

There isn't a single uninteresting second aboard the Orient Express. "I've had a particularly fascinating life, would you like to hear about it? You would?..."
    Still fast asleep (shhh!). Will have to get him up around 11 to feed him, so might have to leave during the final few minutes.
    Nooooo Kerim :(
    And these came out every year.

What a time to be alive. I wish we could get back to every 2/3 years. I get the extra wait for Craig's last and I'm okay with it. But when they get Bond 7, I hope they can get back to some regularity. 4.5 years is painful! To think LTK-->GE was only a year and a half longer and people thought the series was going to die then.

I also think they could do a successful contained trilogy with the same actor released yearly. Though part of me wants to get away from the continuity of it all. It makes things such a hassle from a planning perspective instead of just being able to enjoy a standalone adventure.
    Would love to go on a train like this with a restaurant car, travel like the old days. But would likely need to visit Europe to do so... our country's rail system leaves much to be desired.
    I am sick of the forced continuity. And I grew up with the one and two year gaps, so this long ball is unacceptable to me.

I do like that they go for the top talent for directors, villains, Fiennes as M, Harris as MP, etc. But getting that amount of A-list talent has its drawbacks (creative differences, big personalities, scheduling conflicts). Not to mention the overuse of Mi6 regulars. Back in the day, M/MP/Q could get their bits done in just a few days of shooting. Now they are key focal points every film.
    There are a few luxury trains that still have service like this, but it's done more for the experience than the actual utility of travel like it used to be. Costs a pretty penny for the few experiences that are out there.
    This train fight will forever stand the test of time. There is only one kick that looks slightly suspect, everything else is beautifully executed and I believe completely done by Connery and Shaw. Fantastic.
    Lol Tatiana is content with just going to sleep in a bush.
    Is this the sequence where Terence Young and crew's helicopter crashed and he nearly drown? Only to return to the set a few minutes later to proceed with shooting.
    I recently bough the Criterion Collection laserdiscs of DN, FRWL, and GF with the banned commentary featuring directors, crew, etc. They were pulled from shelves back in the day when Cubby and team heard them and did not approve of some of the more blunt commentary and a few non PC remarks. Need to give those a watch next time!
    Foot knife!!
    Must be a fun group watch there. FRWL is of course one of the best Bond films.
    Lotta Lenya only starred in 5 feature films during her career, one was FRWL, and she was nominated for an Academy Award in another.