The Award Winning : 'Bond...comments while you watch...'

Comments

Here comes that amazing bass lick. A friend of mine used to come over and watch the Bond films with me. He was a bassist, and played a 6 string fret-less bass. We always made fun of this music together. I always had guitars around so we'd pick out this lick and obnoxiously play it over and over again annoying everyone else in the room.
    It was funny then.

Largo loses his cool just as Bond planned.

In today's world, Bond's rather low key dress shirt and slacks outfit would be considered "dressed up" . I think it's actually part of his suit worn from that cut scene when they lunch.

Now Bond is sporting an olive/gray pull over V neck sweater over an odd striped polo shirt. Publicity shots show Connery wearing the sweater over his shoulders as Largo does in this scene.

Largo kisses Domino and spits all over the place. It's odd I'd never really cared for Kim's Domino before, but now I think she's great. She is completely betrayed here.

Bond is chained up. One of my favorite bits. I love this interaction between Largo and Bond.

I actually like this laser watch more than Pierce's fancy Omega. TBH, I like Roger's Seiko from OCTOPUSSY more as well. I like Craig's various Omega's more than Pierce's repeated model.

Bond knocks out the guard. The audience cheered at that bit. I remember that moment vividly. It was pretty funny.

Bond and Domino escape Palmyra. I wonder if this Palmyra is as sadly run down as the house in THUNDERBALL?

HOLD ON!!!!!!!!!!

Poor horse. The censored version cuts to the splash. I'm assuming that's the legendary Vic Armstrong as Bond there.

Felix to the rescue. I wonder if he's wearing his dress shoes?

Bond and Domino shower together. Another nice scene. Not as funny as the shower bit in AVTAK though. I think SKYFALL's shower scene might have the edge if I'm ranking the various Bondian showers .

M interrupts. He sounds like an idiot on the intercom.

Billy J Mitchell pre-Xenia.

I like Bond's outfit in this submarine scene here.

Down to the last twenty minutes of this one. Not one of the most popular finales for a Bond adventure, but I must say I prefer it to some of the newer films. In fact, I honestly feel we haven't had a very exciting Bond climactic finale since the John Glen era. GOLDENEYE's isn't too bad, though.

Bond and Leiter ride these rockets and land. They look difficult to steer.
    They give each other a thumbs up like Siskel and Ebert (who both gave this film a thumbs up) and underwater they go.

I do like the underwater cave set. On the commentary Kershner mentions how poorly lit this sequence was, but I think it kind of looks cool. I believe some of the RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK team worked on this film. Of course i wouldn't compare this set to Ken Adam, but it's not bad.

Sweet like money!!!!!!

Felix takes part in the action. Bernie Casey is great.

Largo's scuba suit matches the bomb with the yellow stripes. Bond leaps in to the water and away he goes.

Now he has to find another way under and the cave caves in on him.

Bond plunges into the little hole by helicopter and we're off to a sub standard underwater fight. It is pretty weak, but again, I'll take it over, say the sub fight in TWINE or SPECTRE's non-climax.

Domino to the rescue. She shows up with the cavalry. Felix must have told her where Bond is.

Bond and Domino lounge about. I like her tiger bathing suit. Small-fawcet interrupts again and gets tossed in the drink for his trouble. This seems a nod to the classic Bond ending when 007 must encounter one last villain. However it's only Small-fawcet.

Bond's wink. I do remember the audience clapping at the end of this one. They did so for OCTOPUSSY also.

Another great viewing of this one! I watched it only a few days ago, too.

As sacrilegious as it may seem, this non Eon entity remains in my top 10.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Nice writeup @ToTheRight . I watched NSNA last week and really enjoy the film these days. Once I stopped comparing it to TB (which I used to always do automatically) I started to see it in a whole new light. There are some really entertaining moments throughout, and seeing an older Sean in his trademark role is a blast.
    Thanks, @bondjames. I've always had a soft spot for both NSNA and OP, as seeing those films new in the cinema as a kid made me the Bond fan I am today.
    Also memories of the countless viewings of my VHS copy of OP have made me love that one all the more.
    I find I tend to compare NSNA with AVTAK
    more than TB. Oddly I compare OP with GF.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Thanks, @bondjames. I've always had a soft spot for both NSNA and OP, as seeing those films new in the cinema as a kid made me the Bond fan I am today.
    Also memories of the countless viewings of my VHS copy of OP have made me love that one all the more.
    I respect your appreciation for both OP & NSNA. It's not often that I see someone like both of those films and it's refreshing.

Bond fans were spoiled in the 80s. Not only was there an EON Bond film every two years without fail, but also NSNA. Almost unbelievable to contemplate now.
    bondjames wrote: »
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    I respect your appreciation for both OP & NSNA. It's not often that I see someone like both of those films and it's refreshing.

Bond fans were spoiled in the 80s. Not only was there an EON Bond film every two years without fail, but also NSNA. Almost unbelievable to contemplate now.

It was a fun time, especially with the ABC Sunday Night Movie airing the classic Bonds, VHS players becoming easier to obtain, and renting the Bonds uncut.
    In addition we had 3 films with Roger, 1 with Sean and 2 with Tim. Nice to have some variety in one decade.
    About to begin YOLT.
    One of the weakest PTSs IMO, but a great title song.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    FoxRox wrote: »
    One of the weakest PTSs IMO, but a great title song.

Agreed on both statements.
    Bond walking through Tokyo. Love it. The scene with M and Moneypenny is also a good one.
    The Osato Chemicals fight/escape sequence is a big highlight for me.
    Connery is noticeably less excited as Bond in YOLT, but he still delivers the dry humor well.
    The docks sequence, particularly thanks to Barry’s amazing score, is an awesome part.
    “You killed him!”

“Yeah, he tried to kill me.”
    The last 25 mintues of this is probably my favorite part. Purely epic finale.
  • FoxRox wrote: »
    The last 25 mintues of this is probably my favorite part. Purely epic finale.

The final 25 minutes is what catapults YOLT from pretty good to excellent. One of the all-time great climaxes.
    I need to pop in YOLT soon. It sounds great.
  • mattjoesmattjoes People's Republic of Matjoeguay
    On my last watch of YOLT I especially enjoyed not only the climax, but the whole ninja training aspect of the film. It's a great concept to have Bond learn new skills before facing the enemy. And the film takes on refreshingly sedate pace during those training scenes, while simultaneously creating anticipation for the showdown to come. The wedding and arrival at Ama island continue in the same vein.

Another unique aspect of the film has to do with Aki's death. It happens quite late in the film, late enough that one would have expected her to survive until the end. It's a terrific scene, and a especially sad one since by that point Bond and her had grown so affectionate toward each other. The film then forgets about her because the show must go on and they probably didn't want any sad stuff spoiling the exciting spectacle, but this is one case in which I think a little reference toward the character during the climax would've been welcome. Kissy is a likable character but Aki overshadows her.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    FYEO has become one of my go-to Bond films. It only comes in at 13 (maybe 12) in my rankings, which is respectable, but is extremely rewatchable. Like OP and TLD (two that use to frustrate me, but now they also get rotated through often), I go to a crossword puzzle or some such when the more regrettable sections arrive. It’s not as though I can’t replay these damned things on my inner eyelids at this point.

Always a great choice @Birdleson. I’ll be watching that one probably Sunday or Monday. Will likely finish between 10 and 13 on my ranking. I like it a lot, and it has one of my favorite PTSs (a lot of people hate it - I love it).
  • Birdleson wrote: »
    FYEO has become one of my go-to Bond films. It only comes in at 13 (maybe 12) in my rankings, which is respectable, but is extremely rewatchable. Like OP and TLD (two that use to frustrate me, but now they also get rotated through often), I go to a crossword puzzle or some such when the more regrettable sections arrive. It’s not as though I can’t replay these damned things on my inner eyelids at this point.

I go back and forth on FYEO. It's definitely a middle-range Bond for me, but I still enjoy it greatly. It's got the 80s stamped all over it, plus great skiing action, sharks, rock-climbing stunts, a fine ally, and some harder-edged moments from Moore. There's a lot weighing it down too in its erratic goofiness and colorless villains, but overall there's more to enjoy than not.
    A VIEW TO A KILL

My other favorite 7th outing for a Bond actor.

Gunbarrel!!! Possibly my favorite opening shot in the series as the iris enlarges.

Hmm...........not so sure about the framing on the Blu-ray. Oh well.

Great shot of Roger. I vividly remember these close ups in the cinema. I had a huge smile on my face here.

John Barry does it again. Snow Job is a criminally under appreciated track, IMO.

It's going to snow where I live next week, so I'm in the mood for some snowy Bond.

The Beach Boys cover!!!!!!!! Every one sing along!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

.........And the Northern girls with the way they kiss
    They keep their boyfriends warm at night
    I wish they all could be California girls
    I wish they all could be California
    I wish they all could be California girls

Bond blows up more stuff......this time a helicopter.

Vodka rather shaken......

I think I may be the ONE fan in the universe that like's Roger's older look in this film.
    I like his haircut in this one.

Bond gives Q s**t immediately upon entering the office.

Then M gives Q s**t as Roger raises his right brow.

Bond's instincts are always right. They're off to investigate Zorin.

Bond having some lunch in the Eiffel Tower. I wonder what's on his plate?

May Day knocks some people down...........the Bond does too.

OOOOOOOOOOOOORRRHHHHHHHHHHHHH

and off she goes.............................

Here comes some humor. Bond commandeers a cab without all those persons within.

The Bond Theme is played here, prominently, only once during this film.

Zorin is one of my favorite villains, really.
    Bond undercover...............we need more of this in the series, IMO.

St John Smythe.

I only saw this once in the cinema, but I remember pretty much every scene.

I'm an early riser myself.

Bond needles Tibbett. The audience laughed at all these one liners and jokes.
    The little fight in the packaging room is pretty funny. Roger has some great facial expressions.

The Roger punch.

May Day and Zorin have a workout. I always liked this scene, actually.

May Day climbs on top of Bond

OOOOOOOOOORHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

That would have been great if he did the sound then.
    I remember when Walkman's were all the rage. I never had a bright yellow one, though like Pola has here.

The hot tub scene. Roger has good chemistry with Fiona here.

I must admit I'm a pretty big Tchaikovsky fan as well.
    This section probably could have been removed with no loss to plotline.
    Still, I like it and am glad it's here.

Bond interviews Mr Howe. I remember in middle school for my media class having to interview the vice principal. I tried to be like Roger here, responding with "I didn't KNOW that."
    I don't remember what questions I asked him.

Bond looks good in the tan suit. These colors always suited Roger.

Rock salt scene. The thugs look like they're wearing wigs. Especially the guy with the Carl Perkins curly gray hair.
    Bond's hair got messed up a bit in that scuffle.

Quiche de Cabinet. I have this gig where we occasionally serve quiche for a retirement community. Every time I serve a dish I say "Viola, Quiche de Cabinet". They have no idea where that comes from but it's funny.

Stacey is getting turned on..............

this is where Bond effs up.

He spends too much time re-connecting the phone. If he had only learned to pay attention and not give Q a hard time, he might at some point have learned this particular skill.

Stacey gives up and goes to bed. Oh well.
    Stacey gets fired.

The City Hall bit. Bond in a leather jacket. I think a classic black turtleneck under that jacket would have looked good.

Bond in peril. I love the elevator bit. This is really something out of a classic serial cliffhanger.

Bond has to do this the hard way. STRETCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! STRETCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JAAAAAAAAAAAMES!

JAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMES

I somehow think if this were MOONRAKER this would have been easier for him.

SUPERMAN THE MOVIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Say, Jim!!!!!!!

That"s a bad outfit!!!!!!

Great Barry score here, once again.

My least favorite "Bond, James Bond" until TWINE...........then SPECTRE.

That's okay, he gets another shot at it.

I like the way he says it to Stacey more. In fact, that should have just been it, IMO.

The Roger nod again!!! Yay!!!!!!

I should learn how to drive a fire truck.

I actually really like this comedic chase. To me it's no better or worse than the Las Vegas Mustang chase. This one has the better music, IMO.

Bond in Zorin construction attire. This reminds me of that DIFF'RENT STROKES episode where Philip Drummond (Conrad Bain) goes to work at a factory wearing slip on dress shoes like Roger here. The hard hat, jacket the whole bit. That episode even has a Bond reference as he's served a vodka martini.
    Well another viewing of AVTAK has come to a close. I had a lot of fun with it this time. A great Bond entry, IMO.
    I think it’s pretty enjoyable. Much prefer it to Connery and Brosnan’s sendoff films myself.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    Always enjoyed AVTAK myself. Totally 80s.