The Award Winning : 'Bond...comments while you watch...'

Comments

I have always loved GF. Ever since I was really young it stood out to me. Everything about it feels so right.

We start with a classic, standalone PTS.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Sean purrs like a sated leopard though the plot is not engaging for me, and other films have better direction.
    Sean purrs like a sated leopard though the plot is not engaging for me, and other films have better direction.

“Shocking! Positively shocking!”
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited October 2018 Posts: 23,673
    FoxRox wrote: »

“Shocking! Positively shocking!”

Sean is amazing though the films second act is not good.
    Meant second act
    Goldfinger is done taking his opponent to the cleaners.
    The golden girl moment leaves an impact every time for me.
    It remains my number 1. The Bond film that never fails me no matter what mood I'm in.
    A classic.
    Definitely awesome start to finish for me!

Connery certainly is in top form in every scene. His performances in DN, FRWL, GF, and TB are all A+.
    Goldfinger does not make my top ten... I'll get my coat
    Not everyone here likes GF a lot; I understand that. We have a large variety of opinions on the site which makes things interesting. For me, it’s a relentlessly entertaining, rewatchable entry, and it’s what the series is all about and is very satisfying.
    Not everyone here likes GF a lot; I understand that. We have a large variety of opinions on the site which makes things interesting. For me, it’s a relentlessly entertaining, rewatchable entry, and it’s what the series is all about and is very satisfying.

Exactly one of the strengths of the Bond series is there are so many variations on a theme which ultimately broadens the appeal.
    As we all are doubtless aware- today would have been Sir Roger's 91st birthday.

Popping in

THE SPY WHO LOVED ME

Gun barrel in the key of F, I believe.

500 feet.

Nudes on the wall. I can attest in the cinema you could see everything there for a brief glimpse.

Oh my God!.

I love the way this PTS builds up.

Anya is my favorite Roger Bond girl, alongside Solitaire.

Here we go...............Bond 77

The Blu-ray looks good.

Go, Rick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the Union Jack! Again the Bond theme played in a higher key......titles and nipples.

1977 was a damn good year.

I love Roger participating in the titles. Possibly my favorite title sequence and song.

Of course I say that when I watch YOLT, DAF, LALD, etc

The Gogol/ XXX scene.

She looks great in her uniform. A lot of fans complain about her performance, but I always loved it. Cool, bordering on cold and aloof.

I love this bit, Bond, Q, Fredrick Gray, Hargreaves and George Baker. Great scene, IMO.

I hate to say it, but I really don't think Brown's M was intended to be Hargreaves promoted. Of course I've never actually read the script for OP. Perhaps it explicitly refers to M as Hargreaves somewhere? Perhaps a fan here who's read the script can chime in?
    I think that concept might have started in Rubin's James Bond Encyclopedia book, and evolved through Bond fandom. Revisionist history. Much like how some casual fans embrace the code-name theory as canon.

Bond in the desert. Edward de Souka is great here. Also great in Hammer's KISS OF THE VAMPIRE.

When one is in Egypt, one should delve deeply into it's treasures.
    "No, he was dead when I found him."

I correct people using that tone.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    ToTheRight wrote: »

Do you use that line as well? Often?

Do you use that line as well? Often?

Unfortunately, not. If the opportunity ever prevails, I'll be sure to use my best Roger voice.

I'm on the Supertanker section now, as my better half wanted to watch most of the film with me. I'm trying to spot actor Barry Andrews as one of the HMS Ranger crew.
    Kim Fortune is shot down after stepping up to the plate heroically. He survives and becomes a pilot who transports space shuttles. A short lived career move.
    My favorite scene where 007 removes the detonator. Some great facial expressions here.

I really think Shane Rimmer could have played Felix. He has great chemistry with Roger. Pity this films didn't include Felix.
    I may have to go back to the PTS and look frame by frame to spot Barry Andrews.

Bond dangling on above the water after setting the timer to explode. Great scene.

Bond Theme interrupted. TSWLM is pure fun through and through. It's almost always in my top 5. This one is pure adventure and epic.

Bond needs a manual to reprogram the missiles. The audience laughed at that shot when I saw this screened in 2013.

I'd love for the series to get back to epic entertainment. Or go low key like FRWL.
    Seems lately the newer films fall in between.

I've seen TSWLM screened in 35mm twice and once digital. As clean as digital is, I do love 35mm film. The colors on this one were splendid.

Bond needs an hour. I'd think it would take that long to assemble Wet Nellie.
    TSWLM is next up in my Bondathon - may watch it tonight. It’s definitely my favorite Moore film, and is all but certain to stay in my Top 10.
    Bond shoot Stromberg in cold blood. Stromberg dies with food all over him.

This was trimmed on ABC.

Fight with Jaws. Jaws styles his hair like Alfalfa from OUR GANG/LITTLE RASCALS minus the cowlick.

He even dresses a bit like Alfalfa.
    TSWLM is next up in my Bondathon - may watch it tonight. It’s definitely my favorite Moore film, and is all but certain to stay in my Top 10.

Mine, too. It's remaining in my top 10. Top 5 actually for me.
    007 is no longer in the dog house with Anya. Roger's charm worked.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

This was trimmed on ABC.

Fight with Jaws. Jaws styles his hair like Alfalfa from OUR GANG/LITTLE RASCALS minus the cowlick.

I thought the same thing. Perhaps he is Alfalfa, grown up?

This was trimmed on ABC.

I thought the same thing. Perhaps he is Alfalfa, grown up?

Yeah. Or, similar to many Bond fans who grew up idolizing their fave Bond actors buy specific Tom Ford suits, Omega and Seiko watches, and even going to the barber shop with a picture of Craig from CR, perhaps Jaws in his free time idolized Carl Switzer ?

I'd have to think the costume make up designers had to have been inspired by those OUR GANG shorts.
  • edited October 2018 Posts: 15,881
    Well, another viewing of TSWLM under my belt.

It remains my favorite Roger and one of my favorite movies period. I first saw it with my Dad, on HBO back in the early 80's on a black and white TV. We had seen MR in the cinema, and I loved the Jaws character. The ABC network aired the others Bond and I have various memories of the Connery films: him coming through the door to find Sylvia waiting in his flat, Grant's ankle holster, the rack, and in DIAMONDS Connery saying "my name is Bond. James Bond".

DN aired again in the summer of '83 as OP was just released. I sat and watched the whole thing with my mom while my dad jammed with his musician buddies. I was hooked and soon we would go and see the latest film. From then on I was scouring TV Guide for Bond films, and looking for anything Bond related.

I wouldn't get to see SPY again until ABC's March 1984 airing. I still loved it, but was more into catching the films I hadn't yet seen. I especially wanted to see OHMSS, which would have to wait.

During the 5th grade my Dad bought out first VHS player, and a used copy of OP the next day. On the weekends we'd rent the other Bonds. We rented the CBS/Fox version of TSWLM on a rainy Saturday afternoon, then I'd run around the neighborhood the next day pretending to be Roger. I'd even do the Roger nod to people when my dad would pull alongside passing another vehicle. Fun times!
    Just now getting to start TSWLM. I have so many fond memories of this entry - one of my oldest favorites.
    Stromberg is a bit of an overlooked Bond villain. His introduction scene is terrific.