The Award Winning : 'Bond...comments while you watch...'

Comments

Plenty in the pool at Kirk Douglas' house.

Bond decks Tiffany with his neck tie.

I love this next section.

The gas station scene. A buddy of mine always loved this part as it was the scene he remembered most from seeing this in the cinema. I can attest, in the cinema this scene was quite bright with the red of the Mustang really enhanced.

I love when Bond drives a vehicle other than the iconic Aston Martin. This Mustang is beautiful, IMO.

Bond on the moon. This is a good example of Connery versatility. He looks just as Bondian in the moon buggy as he did tied to the laser table. I love when he kicks the guy. Great Connery moment.

The legendary Charles Gray as Blofeld. I've always liked his version.

I love the Willard Whyte subplot. Howard Hughes was a legend back in his day. Responsible for many of my favorite Robert Mitchum movies as well.

Bond gets buried with the rats. This is similar in structure to a 1940's cliffhanger serial in which the hero is placed in peril every few scenes. When I watch a Bond like this one, I feel these films are just as close in tone to the serial matinee era as Indiana Jones, if not more.

The oil rig climax. I wonder how Bond breathed in that silver ball? Perhaps he had his 4 minute breather handy?

Classic Connery quips here.

My Dad had several blank audio cassette tapes just like the one Blofeld has here. Same label and everything. I used to dub cassettes from my Bond soundtrack LPs.

I would create little Bond radio plays using the various soundtracks. I usually did my impression of Sean's voice for Bond. Sometimes Roger. Pity I never kept any of those tapes.

9 minutes and counting.............................

Felix gets in on the action, well sort of.

Jimmy Dean actually might have made a decent Felix for this film come to think of it.
    The Blu-ray here is quite impressive.

Underrated Bond climax, IMO. I always liked it.

Well, another great viewing of DIAMONDS comes to a close.

I hate to admit it, but I enjoyed this more than yesterday's viewing of CR.
    QOS PTS is about perfect.
    I do wish Mr. White got a couple more scenes in QOS. He is great every moment.
    Bond barely getting Mitchell first is a great bit.

God I miss David Arnold so much. His QOS soundtrack is my favorite of his works.
    Bond vs. Slate is great.
    The opera sequence. One of my favorite moments of the series.
    “I really think you people should find a better place to meet!”
    Awesome! It sure is a good one. Might be looking at another raise for my list.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    I actually consider QOS to be Craig's most re-watchable film. Maybe it's because of the shorter running time.
  • edited October 2018 Posts: 12,301
    QOS rules. Probably will beat out LTK for my first time here. Some unexpected ranking changes early in my marathon.
  • edited October 2018 Posts: 15,870
    Dammit. I'm in the mood for QUANTUM OF SOLACE now.

MGM and Columbia logos. Classic icons of cinema history.

I love the panning shot toward the mountain.

And on to some quick action cuts.

Some fans complain about the editing here, but I always liked it.

Another David Arnold masterpiece.

Actually my favorite track for the score is much later.

Craig looks good in this one.

2008 was a solid year for movies as I recall.

Controversial opinion: I like QUANTUM OF SOLACE far more than 2008's THE DARK KNIGHT.

Titles.

I don't the lyrics to this one the way I do the others.

Still, I like this song. Grown on me a lot since 2008.

Orange gunbarrel dots make up for their earlier absence.

I really like this title sequence.

More gunbarrel dots.

and onto the film proper..............................

very good opening, IMO.

Mr. White, Of course!!!

He's being questioned here.

I repeat..............Craig looks good in this one. Probably the most traditionally Bondian haircut he's had in his era.

I can remember in 2008 feeling alone in my love for this Bond film. NO ONE, it seemed at the time appreciated this film. My friends hated it and the title.

I loved that it was the first time in ages sine we got a short story title used. One I had been championing for decades.

After more than a decade, the beloved PPK returns. I never liked the P99.

Bond and M in London rain. Bond looks the business in his overcoat. His clothes are the best in his era here, IMO. Craig is dashing and dangerous. He is the sh!t.

Where is this one on my rankings? It's going up.

This one really flows.
    Great fight sequence here. Reminds me of OHMSS.

MICKEY G!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

..............and my fave Craig era Bond girl CAMILLE!!!!!
    GET IN!!!!!!
    Easily my favorite Craig era Bond girl.

Bond knocks the guy off his bike. Craig pulls that kind of scene off the way Connery would.

Hard to believe it's been 10 years since this film. Life was so different then............for me at least.

I think Mathieu Amalric would make an excellent Renfield. Mads Mikkelsen would make a good Dracula, IMO as well.

The boat chase is kind of fun and doesn't over stay it's welcome.
    Gregg Beam is one of my favorite characters in the film. His laugh is classic. David Harbour. Great actor.

Elvis is having some coffee. That looks good. I should fix myself a cup..................

I drink coffee at night like Elvis does here.

Bond arrives at the opera. This is my favorite music cue from this film. It's very Bondian, haunting and memorable.

• mattjoesmattjoes People's Republic of Matjoeguay
    ToTheRight wrote: »

While I can still follow the action through the quick cuts, I find that I can't fully enjoy it because it's seen in such fleeting glimpses. There is a certain vitality to the action scenes but it's not good enough for me.

Orange gunbarrel dots make up for their earlier absence
    It's a nice touch!

I repeat..............Craig looks good in this one. Probably the most traditionally Bondian haircut he's had in his era.
    Agreed.

I can remember in 2008 feeling alone in my love for this Bond film. NO ONE, it seemed at the time appreciated this film. My friends hated it and the title.
    At first I struggled with it too because it was so different. It's still the most "different" Bond film, I think, with Skyfall as a close second. I enjoy it today. I like it's no-nonsense style and how very well it combines character moments with plot (a very solid one, too). I don't care much for the editing of the action scenes and, strangely enough, the Bond theme kicking in at the end, which I think feels somewhat out of place.

MICKEY G!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I hope he has a more prominent cameo in Bond 25, like in QoS. A speaking part would be nice. It's been 21 years since TND.
  • edited October 2018 Posts: 6,844
    Dammit. I'm in the mood for QUANTUM OF SOLACE now.

It's one of the select Bonds I'm always in the mood for.
    I love the panning shot toward the mountain.

Another David Arnold masterpiece.

That opening shot pushing over the water is great. Right into that high-octane car chase. The furious edits put you right there in the action. I love how the music creeps in over the Columbia logo too. Definitely one of Arnold's best scores.
    Controversial opinion: I like QUANTUM OF SOLACE far more than 2008's THE DARK KNIGHT.

Me too. But then I've found The Dark Knight overrated since day one. Take out the roughly 20 min that Heath Ledger appears in it for and you're not left with a terribly good film. Don't get me wrong, Heath was unbelievable, but I wish he'd appeared in a better film. BB and TDKR (for all its own problems) are both stronger films IMHO.
    Mr. White, Of course!!!

Lol

Agreed. He was slimmer in this one. Less of a Terminator build and more how I imagine Bond to be. I think this is Craig's best performance as Bond too.

Between the avant-garde editing, the excellent cinematography, and the brutal fights, there's a lot about the style of QoS that reminds me of OHMSS. One is a slowly crackling fireplace bedecked with stockings; the other is a fuse.
    I think Mathieu Amalric would make an excellent Renfield. Mads Mikkelsen would make a good Dracula, IMO as well.

Yes on both accounts. Add Gemma as Lucy and Berenice as one Drac's brides and you have a real cast going.
  • mattjoesmattjoes People's Republic of Matjoeguay

Between the avant-garde editing, the excellent cinematography, and the brutal fights, there's a lot about the style of QoS that reminds me of OHMSS. One is a slowly crackling fireplace bedecked with stockings; the other is a fuse.
    This is quite true.
    007 steals a dinner suit. I love the WTF expression as the actor is looking for his wardrobe.

This is a criminally underrated movie.

While Elvis is no Jaws, Oddjob, Red Grant, or Tee-Hee, he does have a creepy vibe about him. He also has some great facial expressions.

The opera section is one of my favorite scenes. A bit of sneaky Bond here as well.

Greene has some great facial expressions as well.

Mathis!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Giancarlo played Claudine Auger's husband in the romantic comedy: LOVERS AND LIARS.

Bond has some drinks on the flight. One of my other favorite scenes.

Bond thinks it's funny Rene keeps offering him pills.

Fields!!!!!!

Gemma is great here.

More-so than any of the other Craig Bond films, I feel this one has a classic Bond narrative structure (except of course for the gun-barrel).
    Halfway through and we get a classic "Bond mingling at a party while investigating stuff" scene. This is similar to Grave's party speech in DAD. I love the bit where Camille enters the scene and interrupts Greene's conversation. He gets pis$ed immediately as she starts talking.........then he laughs it off. Great subtle performance.

Meanwhile Felix is hanging out.

The interaction between Bond and Greene here is cool as well.

Craig and Olga have great chemistry and rapport.
    Here we get more into what I like to call "classic set-piece Bond". The rest of the film is centered around various chase/escape action sequences with some dialogue scenes laced throughout. I personally love when the Bonds are written in this format. Works great for many of the Roger films: LALD, TSWLM, MR, OP, and for some of the Connery's (YOLT and DAF). I think it works here wonderfully.

I felt the newest MISSION IMPOSSIBLE film succeeded in part to that structure.

Well we're at the climax in the hotel. Some great action bits as Camille fights Medrano and Bond vs. Greene.

I must say I prefer this climax to the sinking house, and especially the MI6 building ending for SP.

If I were to pick a favorite Craig climactic sequence/set-piece it would probably be SF.

.........and Camille walks off a'la Gala Brand.

007 in New York adapted here at the end. Bond should be munching on some scrambled eggs as he awaits Vesper's boyfriend.

Great scene, IMO.

..........and we get the gun-barrel. Extra points for sticking to the classic Bond theme structure here even if it does sound a bit too trebly for my tastes. I far prefer the music here to any of the other Craig gunbarrels. The segue to the film's title is unnecessary, though.

Overall a great viewing of this under appreciated Bond epic.
    QOS is an outstanding movie. I've always loved it. If the gun barrel had been at the beginning, the Mitchell chase a little less choppy, and some more scenes with Mr. White and Haines, it would be just as good as CR IMHO.

Agreed on it being better than TDK. Ledger was a great Joker but the movie is pretty boring when he's offscreen.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    You know why I think we all love Camille so much. Because they spend less time about hyping up her charatcer and talking about how oh she’s gonna be his equal and oh she’s not gonna sleep with him, instead all of that her character just does things that shows us the audience that’s she’s a badass
    @JamesBondKenya So true. Camille is awesome and a big part of that is what you just explained. She is truly a great character.
    You know why I think we all love Camille so much. Because they spend less time about hyping up her charatcer and talking about how oh she’s gonna be his equal and oh she’s not gonna sleep with him, instead all of that her character just does things that shows us the audience that’s she’s a badass

Exactly.
    It's time for Goldfinger!!!
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    FoxRox wrote: »
    It's time for Goldfinger!!!

That film frustrates me, Sean is a god though not much happens in the film itself despite many iconic moments.