The Award Winning : 'Bond...comments while you watch...'

Comments

• QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Great villain there.

"Spend the money quickly, Mr Bond."

"I intend to, Kamal Khan."

(Khan nods)
    QBranch wrote: »
    Great villain there.

"Spend the money quickly, Mr Bond."

"I intend to, Kamal Khan."

(Khan nods)

I love that interaction.
    I didn't get to finish posting while watching OCTOPUSSY today as my better half joined me to watch the film. She loves Roger.
    Anyway it was a fun time watching this, my most viewed Bond.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    my better half joined me
    Let me guess: @ToTheLeft?
    QBranch wrote: »
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    my better half joined me
    Let me guess: @ToTheLeft?

Good one!
    Now it's time for some Sean before I go to work.

DR NO
  • edited July 2018 Posts: 15,882
    I always loved these titles.
    Three Blind Mice.

One of my favorite elements of DR NO is the style.

Strangways looks old school and dashing.
    I wonder who the actor is that says "I'm looking for Mr James Bond"

Even he looks bad a$$.
    The lovely Sylvia.
    This one must be my most watched Connery Bond. I never tire of DN.
    M looks good.
    I remember back in the mid-80's purchasing the Bonds on VHS was extremely expensive, at least in the states. They were for between $60 a pop and the newer ones $89.95.
    So, we rented them often. I'd record some off of the ABC network, but DN was one I preferred to rent on a Friday night.
    I went to a screening of DN in Seattle about 20 years ago, and before the screening one of the theatre attendants introduced the film by mentioning the shot of the Pan Am plane landing in Jamaica was actually stock footage of Seattle's Boeing airfield.

He said Mt Rainier could be seen in the background. I'm skeptical on this trivia, as to me, the angle looks wrong. I wonder if any Bond experts here could confirm or dispel this information?
    Bond thrashes Mr Jones with ease.
    I like Pleydell Smith's office.
    Bond in his hotel suite. One of my favorite bits.
    When I was a kid about to enter high school, my family had bought a house. So we moved out of our old apartment, and I had my choice of any bedroom. Initially I picked a smaller one because the paint job reminded me of Bond's flat in DN. However, I went with a much larger room. I wanted to decorate it like Bond's suite in this film. Never had the right furniture, though. It came with an old console stereo cabinet My grandmother eventually bought me a roll top desk that looked vintage. I started dressing up a bit as well.
    Jump up!
    Anthony Dawson is great.
    Bond drives to Miss Taro's. I wonder if any of these locations still exist?
    Bond busts out into song. He's been feeling Italian and musical, so I guess he needs to sing.

I do like Connery in DARBY O GILL. Some actors can pull off. Connery, Mitchum....the list is few.

I wonder if that tree Sean leans on while singing still exists?
    I really like Monty Norman's score for DR NO. We haven't quite entered John Barry classic yet, but this has the feel of a '50's sci fi sound. The soundtrack album on the other hand I have a hard time listening to repeatedly.
    Toupee or not toupee.

In the Barbara Walters interview Connery clearly states he wore a "two piece" on DN.
    In another interview around that time he said he had a "mass of black curly hair" when he started.
    Many argue he didn't start wearing a rug until GF, and that his thinning spots were painted out in the first two films. Somewhere on this site there was a hair thread.

Either way I think it looks damn good in DR NO, and is considerably longer here than in the other films.

When I was around 12 I went to a barber shop with the intention of getting a Connery/Bond cut. I showed him a pic of Sean in THUNDERBALL.
    We rented DR NO that night and once we got to the "I think they were on their way to a funeral" shot, I realized it wasn't cut like Sean's at all. Buzzed way too close on the sides (kind of like Craig's in SP). In addition, the guy had squared it.

Years later when I was doing theater, many shows tended to be set in the'50's. I would be very specific on getting the right haircuts for the period. I found a barber who had owned his shop since 1946, and could replicate any haircut. I even took a buddy of mine, a fellow cast member to make sure his '50's do wasn't screwed up.

Bond meets Dr No. Still one of my favorite villains.
    Bond dines with the villain. This is a tradition I'd like to see make a comeback.
    Bond gets pounded.
    ....and Dr No's lair explodes. Great ending, IMO. Felix shows up in a clinch, yet is no help whatsoever.
    I do like Jack Lord's reaction shot as Bond and make out.

THE END.

and for the first time we get the gunbarrel image at the end.

GOLDFINGER

Just enough time before work for some classic Sean.

The white dinner jacket is timeless here.
    .........and the PTS fight sequence begins........................Bond tries to pull off Alf Joint's shoe.
    Shocking.
    I don't know if this was ever the case in the UK, but I distinctly remember the early VHS editions of GF missing a few frames during the titles, which omitted that first powerful chord of the title song.
    I live Robert Brownjohn's work here. Iconic.