The Award Winning : 'Bond...comments while you watch...'

Comments

Bond and Paris seduction. Brosnan looks damn good here.

His facial expressions are extraordinary.
    Paris Carver is not my favorite Bond girl by quite a stretch.

Perhaps I'm biased because Hatcher was reasonably popular on LOIS AND CLARK at the time and I kind of have a thing against casting flavors of the month as Bond women.

I far prefer a Bond girl to be someone I hadn't heard of before.
    Ricky Jay.

He had some great scenes in BOOGIE NIGHTS.

I should get a copy of that, actually.
    Sneaky Bond. I absolutely LOVE this section of TND.

Brosnan is the sh*t here. Great suit, great haircut. He's the man.

Great Arnold score as well.
    Looking for a news story?
    Although not as popular as, say the stairwell CR fight, the two fights in the newspaper printing room are my favorite Brosnan fights.
    They're heading for the HILL..............

wrong film
  • mattjoesmattjoes matjoevakia
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Elliot Carver is my favorite Brosnan era main villain.
    Pryce and Brosnan have perfect chemistry, with Bond playing straight man to Carver's over-the-top cartoon villain. I love how Bond is so arrogant in their scenes together, and wastes no time trying to push Carver's buttons. They're both funny as well-- Carver outwardly so, and Bond in an obviously more subtle way. As I said, both actors play off each other very, very well. Great work there.

Roger once said that by AVTAK there weren't enough villains old enough to look like they could be knocked down by Bond.

These elderly gentlemen seem to have no problem giving Pierce quite a thrashing.
    "You seem very interested in Mr. Carver's business. He wants to know WHY!" (kick)
    @mattjoes

I agree Pierce and Pryce had great chemistry. I love the way he addresses him as "Elliot".
    The needling Bond gives him when they first meet it great. "Heavens, no. I'd be lost at sea....adrift"
    Garage BMW set piece. Lots of fun here. I tend to think TND is the most fun of Brosnan's films.
    Sheriff JW Pepper returns!

Jack Wade makes Sheriff JW look like at his peak TB era Connery.
    I do love Joe Don Baker here though.

If anyone here has never seen it, CHARLEY VARRICK with Joe Don Baker is great!!

Joe gives Scorpio Killer Andy Robinson a pounding.
    Great aerial stunt here.
    I also like the underwater bit. If I'm not watching TB, this is the right amount of underwater footage. Well, maybe the underwater section of LTK?
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 15,869
    I like Bond's sh*ty casual outfit here. If I wanted to go for the Pierce in TND look, I'd find a rich blue lenin shirt, and walk around with it un-tucked on a hot summer day.
    Motorcycle chase!!!!!!
    Brosnan's double looks about as much like him as Roger's double during the taxi cab bit in AVTAK.
    It's been a long time since there was a sequence like this in a Bond film.

Sounds like a strange comment to make, but a lengthy chase or action sequence at this point in the movie, which is often considered the "highlight" of the film, even though it's not at the climax.

I suppose the underground train chase in SF may qualify.
    Wai Lin fight scene.

I do think she and Pierce had pretty good chemistry. She arguably just may be the best Pierce era leading lady.

That said, Natalya is probably my favorite.
    I do miss the 2 year gaps. It's more fun to see the Bond actor (like Pierce) gradually age in the role, rather than see such long gaps and drastic changes in appearance.
    Bond and Wai Lin board the boat. "Maybe he'll take a check?"

Strange as it may seem I really like that little bit. Pierce's performance, the score, their dark clothes. 007 puts that bag around his shoulder.
    Climax aboard the Devonshire. Allan Cameron set design. I always thought it was pretty good production design work in this one. Pity he never returned.
    Bond running around shooting everyone is still a bit tooTerminator/ typical '90's action for me, though.

I always felt the dialogue during the fight with Stamper was unnecessary.
    I'd probably take this climax over most of the other later ones though.
    Let's stay undercover..............

Pierce is the sh*t in this one.
    GREAT end song.

Well, damn. TND holds up marvelously. I was a bit lukewarm towards it in it's initial release, but after step brother gate, and endless effed up gunbarrels, it's seeming more and more classic.

Off to the ranking thread.................

'Charles Varrick' is a great thriller. Joe Don Baker is terrific in it, very menacing! (also recommend him in 'The Outfit') but I hate Jack Wade character in both his appeances. Very annoying!
  • mattjoesmattjoes matjoevakia
    Mathis1 wrote: »

'Charles Varrick' is a great thriller. Joe Don Baker is terrific in it, very menacing! (also recommend him in 'The Outfit') but I hate Jack Wade character in both his appeances. Very annoying!
    One of the things that's great about it is that we see Joe Don Baker being brutal to people throughout the film. Unlike Varrick, he's established as a strong, physical person, which makes his encounter with Varrick at the end all the more suspenseful.
    @Birdleson you are on point with the last two comments.
    Ah ok. My bad.
    The raid on the fortress is a pretty weak sequence for sure. I get a kick out of the plane fight though.