The Award Winning : 'Bond...comments while you watch...'

Comments

• Andi1996RueggAndi1996Ruegg Hello. It's me, Evelyn Tremble.
    The old MI6 building scene is stupid, did Blofeld really go to the trouble of sticking up these photos :))

that indeed is the oddest thing, if not the stupidest ever.
    I totally love Connery's brown suit he wears when he is with Moneypenny and in the big meeting room. I want one like that.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Surprised I made it through SP I know it has its fans, the film has way too many issues for me.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I totally love Connery's brown suit he wears when he is with Moneypenny and in the big meeting room. I want one like that.
    I've been a fan of that one quite.

However, you really should see the other brown one he wears in Woman of Straw. Makes you want to get in contact with his tailor immediately.

TujOmgN.jpg
    ubm4Klo.jpg

Probably my favorite Connery suit!
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Connery was at his peak in TB, though Terrence Young has all his films in my top 4, Young's Bond films were pure class.

@ClarkDevlin I hate to admit I have never seen Woman of Straw
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns You really should! It's my favourite Sean Connery film! :D

You certainly won't regret it.
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns You really should! It's my favourite Sean Connery film! :D

I'll look for it, it's one I am not familiar with which suprises me.

It's definitely a better Hitchcockian movie than the one Hitchcock directed him in.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2018 Posts: 23,883

Connery moves and acts as if he's being directed by Young in Woman of Straw (although it's in fact Basil Dearden, who also directed Roger Moore in The Man Who Haunted Himself, who's behind the camera). So if you like Connery in Young's films you'll enjoy Woman of Straw.

It's definitely a better Hitchcockian movie than the one Hitchcock directed him in.

I like Marnie the acting and story elevates it beyond some other deficiency's, though I have watched it countless times. I'll definitely check out Woman of Straw looked on imdb sounds good
    bondjames wrote: »

Connery moves and acts as if he's being directed by Young in Woman of Straw (although it's in fact Basil Dearden, who also directed Roger Moore in The Man Who Haunted Himself, who's behind the camera). So if you like Connery in Young's films you'll enjoy Woman of Straw.

I noticed a few actors in the cast list from Bond also.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    This film is Cringe-worthy and dull, I remember why it's floating near the bottom of my ranking.

Ah the dialogue is so cringey and terrible, especially coming off the last Craig films which have excellent dialogue.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Bond is in Bellucci home the last twenty minutes has been flat.

Terrible dialogue and Bond is now acting odd while he pulls Belluci.
    It's an uncomfortable scene which could trigger the #MeToo crowd today, but I think the film peaks here. From the Spectre conference room on it's all downhill for me.

I kind of like a little “metoo” with James Bond as that’s what the character does like in the 60’s films. I’m not saying it’s right or wrong it just is.

I love CR and QoS the last few Craig films I struggle with, though the first hour of SF now makes it better than SP in my ranking.

Yeah they are neck and neck but there are 2 reasons SF is one place higher
    Dialogue and cinematography
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    In the 60s metoo meant "Can you please slap my butt too, James?"
    SPECTRE

With only TLD, GE, TND and SP left my Bondathon soon will be over.

I like that finally there is a gun-barrel in a Craig film that actually is what it's supposed to be and where it's supposed to be.
    Naturally, for some unknown reason, it doesn't end with opening up in a scene but we get the caption. Strange.

The pts could have been great had it ended with the collapsing of the building, Sierra should have been dead and Bond simply taking his ring and there we go with the titles.

Sadly it drags, another chase, another chopper sequence and everything is covered in unbearable dirty yellow color filters.
    But worst is the score, it simply destroys all the fun there could be.
    Thomas Newman is a bloody idiot that has no idea how to score Bond.
    @Andi1996Ruegg You definitely have become one of the chaps here who are the voice of reason. My compliments, sir.
    edited January 2018 Posts: 2,005
    Daniel Kleinman has created five wonderful titles from GE to CR.
    Sadly with SF the visual overload started and here with SP it gets to ridiculous proportions.
    Why the hell Craig has to be topless in golden colors in the pts is beyond me.

The song I don't like much. But it's all a matter of taste I suppose.
    Feminism, mate. Feminism.

If the Bond Girl silhouettes have to be naked, then so should Bond. Geddit?
    @ClarkDevlin well, thank you good Sir!

I just try to look at things calmly with an open mind. I'm sure sooner or later I will say something outrageously stupid ha ha....

M: Nothing against Fiennes, but he is no substitute for Judi Dench. She is missed and it becomes evident how much when she's there again in Bond's flat for like 20 seconds on a screen.
    Another glimpse of greatness but sadly only a distant memory to a past much better.
    As for Moneypenny, I don't know, I can't see any on screen chemistry between her and Bond.
    I actually think Bliss and Dalton had more in TLD.
    Bond's flat. Obviously he had to get a new one as M had sold off his after he was supposedly dead in SF.

I can see he had not much time to unpack yet. The TV set probably got sent to him by Dench M so he can watch the disc.
    edited January 2018 Posts: 15,423
    My problem with Spectre is that the writers tried hard to project that Bond not trusting M and vice versa element forced. The prior leaked drafts even showcased worse interaction between M and Bond (Bond even threatening to indirectly bring harm to M). This MI5/Spooks angle is what ruined SP as a wholly experience in the Bondmania. We've had the rogue agent element in the prior first two entries, and SP definitely didn't require one.

In fact, if they wanted to keep that Whitehall mole angle and capitalize on it, they should've made both Bond (an experienced agent and a veteran 00 who knows how the world works) and M sanction a branch that would've dealt with matters as such with the consent of the government. 00-Section itself is a black-ops SOE branch that shouldn't have left the government involved.
    After a short break back on the film.

A first absolute highlight: The Q lair and scene.

Whishaw is brilliant. So is the set.

The dialogue for Whishaw is priceless and quite frankly he commands the screen.

So glad, we'll see much more of him later.
    Rome:

Again Newman's bloody score is way too loud, it's distracting.
    The funeral scene is nice but Bond's sunglasses....ahem...

Bellucci is very, very beautiful. No chemistry between her and Craig whatsoever but still.

The set up at her place is nice with the classical music, Bond killing the assassins. It almost looks like a classic scene from a 60s film.

When Bond tells the widow he'll call Felix I really wish the film would change to The Adventures of Felix Leiter rescuing the Sciarra Widow.

Imagine Jeffrey Wright in an action-thriller with Bellucci, trying to save here and eventually falling in love with her.
    The SPECTRE meeting is a bit weird. I wish there was any other color on the screen but dirty golden yellow. It's jarring.

The Rome car chase has a good moment with the Fiat driver. A nice touch and even the score, finally has its moments.

Oh and we learn that Moneypenny has a life. What an utterly stupid and redundant idea.
    At least their is another scene with Q, Whishaw is for SP what Dench is for SF.
    Austria. Before I push play again, I need a short break.

I have to wash out my eyes of all the yellow dirt.
    My apologies to anyone who thinks I only bash the film.
    I'm really trying to like it. My memory of the first viewing isn't that bad, but after seeing all the films up to the 80s for a second or third time, I can't but think that SPECTRE will be my least favorite of the 24...
    Skyfall is so much better. Why?
    I struggle with SP for the most part it is bland.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    I also find the acting is bad with everyone in that film. I wonder why, it’s basically the same cast from skyfall where they all acted fine. Maybe it’s the cringey dialogue but that scene with M and Bond at the start is very hard to watch without a face palm
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    More than anything else, the retcon and yellow filter is what kills it for me.