The Award Winning : 'Bond...comments while you watch...'

Comments

Mathis1 wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    Glady's Knight's song is superb and I'm one of the few (probably) who quite likes Patti La Belle's If You Asked Me To as well, although I can appreciate it doesn't suit the film. Certainly better than Celine's 'strangling a cat' version.

The GB tune is killer. One of the best imho, along with LALD, GE & FYEO. I've always preferred the 70s/80s/90s one-off composer's GB's to Barry's for some reason. Very distinctive and edgy - all of them.

You're not alone. Love 'If you asked me to' a lot more than most main themes!

We both agree for once. I love If you asked me to" too.
    It's time to begin TLD and finish the brief Dalton era.

Another great gunbarrel; Dalton got two of the best. I like LTK's just a little more because of the music.
  • edited January 2018 Posts: 12,291
    It's both a good and bad thing, but the film never gets better than this PTS. One of the series' best.
    Barry's score for TLD is definitely one of his best, as well as one of the best in the series. I love LTK more as a whole, but the PTS and score for TLD are superior.
    Like LTK, a decent title song that isn't a favorite or least favorite of mine.
    I also am a fan of this sequence after the PTS and credits. I should also mention John Glen is one of my favorite Bond directors.
    Hey driver, where we going?
    Necros is the best villain in the movie, and unfortunately he still isn't among my favorite Bond villains. If TLD had one exceptional main villain and a strong third act, it would secure a high spot on my list for sure.
    Kara is my favorite of the Bond girls in Dalton's films.

Dalton's not bad in the movie, but I definitely prefer his LTK performance. I think the plot was more suited to his edgier Bond.
    TLD was the first Bond film in which I can remember thinking the villains were weak. Necros was the coolest of the bunch and my favorite post Red Grant type.
    I always felt LTK addressed the issue by giving us a much stronger adversary in Sanchez.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    It's both a good and bad thing, but the film never gets better than this PTS. One of the series' best.

I would call it THE best pts. Never gets old. Cracking opening.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    TLD was the first Bond film in which I can remember thinking the villains were weak. Necros was the coolest of the bunch and my favorite post Red Grant type.
    I always felt LTK addressed the issue by giving us a much stronger adversary in Sanchez.

Exactly. There are 3 key reasons why I find LTK to be superior:

1. Dalton's performance
    2. The villains
    3. The third act

TLD is definitely a good Bond movie, and it's holding up pretty well on this current watch. But I like the more unique approach they take in LTK, and I think it's more consistently strong throughout. Every time I've watched TLD, I lose a little interest in the last 40ish minutes. Not devoid of good scenes, but it's noticeably weaker than the rest of the movie. Meanwhile, LTK is consistently strong, and has a terrific finale.
    I love this car action scene in TLD.
    Saunders is a good character. Just got to his death scene.
    @Birdleson I like your new profile pic.

I agree the first two-thirds are strong. The last third is not the greatest though.

Also LTK has a better Felix.
    Mathis1 wrote: »

I would call it THE best pts. Never gets old. Cracking opening.

For me, that would be CR. Couldn't have introduced a new Bond any better. But TLD is definitely high up there.
    I do actually like this plane fight scene with Necros, but the stuff leading up to it in the third act was average at best. Definitely the film hits a snag when the jail scene comes.
    Necros just holds the boot falling to his death...
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    I love all the Afghanistan sequence. So beautifully shot. Only the epilogue with Whitaker is a bit of let down to me.
    That's funny, because I actually find this Whitaker scene to be amusing. It's not specifically good, but it's quirky in an enjoyable way for me.
    TLD is one of those Bond films on the verge of being one of my favorites, but a couple things keep it back - namely the villains and most scenes in Afghanistan. Still, it's a pretty good Bond film, and a solid opener for Dalton - even though I still prefer LTK. A really good watch overall.
  • edited January 2018 Posts: 462
    Count me in the group that prefers LTK to TLD. I think the harder edge in LTK suits Dalton far better than what he was given in TLD. Kamen's score is also my favorite one-off soundtrack in the series.

Now, that said...
    I've seen a lot of people make the case for how LTK took a couple of notes from Die Hard, and I can see some similarities myself, so it doesn't really shock me that I prefer it over TLD (I think the original Die Hard is the best action film ever made).
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Birdleson wrote: »
    @Birdleson I like your new profile pic.

I agree the first two-thirds are strong. The last third is not the greatest though.

Also LTK has a better Felix.

Yes. The weakest EON Felix followed by the best.

No question, the worst Felix is the goofball LTD and the best is the returning LTK felix.

LTK is now in my mind superior for a couple reasons( before I had TLD at #3 now it’s fallen down somewhat)

Some things in TLD bother me to no end like the Felix scene, the final fight, the Arab leader character, the plane scene which looks like shit, even though it has some cool stunts, and Dalton’s acting is poor.
    I thought Dalton significantly improved in LTK. He wasn't bad in TLD, but not really exceptional either. He had a lot more good moments and seemed more confident in LTK. I did have a great viewing of both films this Bondathon though; the Dalton era is definitely a good little section of Bond history. I don't understand the view from some that it is the franchises's low point.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    No no it’s definitly a high, I mean compared to AVTAK
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    Have we actually had a bad era of Bond? I don't think so. Lol apart from SP.
    The closest to "bad" would be Brosnan's era. IMO, GE was great, TND was decent, but then TWINE is a mixed bag and DAD is quite a disaster. Still, DAD is the only one I'd say was outright bad. Even then, many members here have fun with that one. SP was Craig's low point, and doesn't really fit so well with his other films; the tone is too unbalanced, and there isn't nearly enough originality or energy to carry it. Even "bad" Bond films beat many other films out there.
  • Andi1996RueggAndi1996Ruegg Hello. It's me, Evelyn Tremble.
    I can’t see that there is any «bad» era, if we talk actor tenures.
    It’s maybe almost an ideological question, some prefer Connery, Craig type acting and films clearly over the Moore, Brosnan type films and acting.
    If we talk era as in a period of time, then maybe 1979 to 1989 is the “weak” era. But even that is a bold statement.
    The 60s was the only decade of Bond that was consistently very good IMO. YOLT to me is the weakest one from that era, and even then it's pretty good. 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s, 10s all have their better and weaker ones.
    Started AVTAK here. This PTS ranks among my least favorites. I don’t hate it, but it’s definitely not the best.