BOND POLLS 2016: The Top 10 JAMES BOND-007 Film Ranking Contest (Results: winner!, on page 60)

Comments

• SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    Unbelieveable to me! Well, voters have spoken but TB at #10 - amazing!
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    Probably about right. I've read opinions on this movie and they are all mixed, so number 10 seems about right.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    TB is a classic, boring but a classic. Furthermore it features the best Bond performance of the series.
    I think that would be DAF actually. But TB comes very close.
    Do you like DAF? @birdleson
    I think that would be DAF actually. But TB comes very close.
    Do you like DAF? @birdleson

Did you just put DAF and TB in the same sentence ???.

I wouldnt attack TB .....grrrrr

Even if we don't know the exact order of the Top 10 yet, I think it's fair to say, that Top 10 is pretty much perfect.

With 4 Connery, 2 Craig, 1 Dalton, Lazenby, Brosnan, Moore movie it features all 6 Bond actors and rightfully so.

Personally I have all 6 actors in my Top 7, before SP even in my Top 6:
    1. GE / 2. TLD / 3. OHMSS / 4. CR / 5. OP / 6. GF
  • TB made it way too far in my book.
    TB made it way too far in my book.

I actually think TB is the best conclusion to the Terence Young trilogy. Watch DN-FRWL-TB in a marathon and you know what I mean :-). TB boring? I loved it.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Bond caught in the middle of a nasty battle to reclaim stolen nukes (instantly making it one of Bond's all time most dangerous missions) as a dastardly set of fresh SPECTRE agents rise to beat him? A Bond girl who for the first time in the series plays Bond like a fiddle and refuses to fall to his charms? A moment where Bond is shot and fearfully on the run, nearly caught in a corner and killed? A finale with the best of Bond's boys rallying brutally against Largo's SPECTRE back-up underwater to a rousing score express from John Barry?

Yeah, TB is a real snore. I-)
    LOL! Yeah I read the criticism of it but just don't get it.

Before this poll I would never have dreamt that TLD (which I like, btw) ends up higher than TB! Thought TB would be one of the most appreciated Connery titles right next to GF and FRWL. Never realized so many rate it as mixed.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    TB is a fine Bond film, but i don t see it as elite Bond. It s the first drop in quality in the series. It s a film based on a book based on a film script, and it shows.
    Yes TB was the only Bond film up to SF who could be called "boring" in places, a lot of places.
    Stolen Nukes sound nice on paper but in TB it doesn't really make one nervous.
    The best thing about TB is Connery's acting, the villainous Bond girl, and most of all the score.
    The underwater battle is technically brilliant but it just isn't very exciting. After all the underwater scenes you have already got by then it is just one of them too much.

Having said all this TB still is one of the best films of the 60s of course, also outside of Bond.
    But when you have 24 gems to rank, one or two will fall back. TB is one of them.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I think it's the perfect end to Terence's golden three, and it absolutely demolishes GF in almost every way, though some refer to that film as the greatest of all time when it isn't even the best of the 60s (which is a tough battle, to be fair).
    Can understand people saying TB is slow at places, but I can't help placing it very high on my own list. There's just so many things to like with this one: The plot, the girls, the locations, a Connery in good form, Young's directing etc. TB is one of those Bond films I often find myself choosing when I just want to watch a Bond film at random.
    Same thing for me - I made my Top 10 list based on the fact which movies I tend to rewatch over and over again. This holds true to my Top 4 at least - some like OP I haven't seen in years actually.

Last time I watched TSWLM I stopped it at the middle - never happened to TB or GF actually. But maybe it's also nostalgia mixed in here since I watched GF and TB so often in my teenage years and not the Moore films.
    GF gets demolished by TB. Never heard that before, but of course I get why TB is still loved by many.

To be honest it was in my Top 5 during my first years as Bond fan.
    As I keep track of all my lists here is my ranking circa 1990.

1. TLD
    2. OP
    3. MR
    4. TB
    5. OHMSS

As for the 60s there is of course only ONE movie that gets the top spot, without a doubt, 100% a clear case if there ever was one and that's ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE.
    That one demolished YOLT, TB, GF, FRWL and DN all in one.
    TB is considered a classic Bond, but in all honesty I don't think many fans nowadays would consider it that, or more importantly would admit to not watching it that often! I have it positioned at 12, just above TMWTGG, but I could easily reverse, as I've watched the latter more, and enjoy it more! TB is one of the early Bond movies I would have loved to have seen in the cinema at the time, Bond frenzy was at its height then, after the success of GF! TB was on telly the other night, and I really only dipped in and out of watching it! It does have good dialogue, and Connery is at the height of his powers here, before he seem to lose interest for YOLT!
    Still hoping for OHMSS to top the list here, but it will be a battle I reckon between it , CR and FRWL! Two of my most over-rated Bonds, TSWLM and GE, unfortunately are gonna be here in the top ten! Disappointing!
    To be fair @Mathis1 even if you don't like GE (or the Brosnan-era?) you should recognise how important and extremely well received GE was in 1995 and that it had become an instant classic for all ages.
    I know the same is true for Skyfall even if it is at the bottom of my ranking.

As for TSWLM, I'm always torn between finding it a true classic or one big cheese fest.
    But in the end I recognise it's importance and that it has re-invented the franchise, it's utterly iconic really.
    A Top 10 spot is deserved. Even if I have it at spot 15 in my personal ranking.
    TB is always in my top three with FRWL and OHMSS, I often rate them equal.
    Sorry, I don't rate a Bond movie on how well it does with Joe Public, or critcs! GE is a below average film, and its far from a classic! Matthew Sweet and Mark Gatiss, did a great programme for the BBC looking at all the Bond actors. They were quite kind to Brossa, but did dub him "Roger Connery", and felt his films were design by committee, and none were particularly memorable! I concur with this! TB is getting a not too favourable analysis here by many. Its considered a classic, but when looked at, most think its a bit of a bore! I think that GE and TSWLM can be put in the same boat! They're considered classics, and iconic etc etc, but when you look at the films, they're really not great at all!
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    TB is a fine Bond film, but i don t see it as elite Bond. It s the first drop in quality in the series. It s a film based on a book based on a film script, and it shows.

Listen to Thundy.

• GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    I also don't rate TSWLM among the very best. It's all very fine, but it can drag towards the end. There is not a single piece of music during the final scenes on Atlantis, that's a big error of judgement.

In the end, I consider TSWLM and MR to be YOLT's inferior little brothers.
    For TB to come in 10th place is a serious kick in the knackers..for me it stuffs GF and TLD into touch..i would reach to watch TB over those films 10 times out of 10...the storyline is excellent and a serious nuclear threat,the location is beautiful,Bond is tough as nails (he has to be),the villains are nasty as hell, and a genuine danger in the whole area and Bond has to walk right into the middle of it,he has no choice,....he is shot and cornered and genuinely frightened.....and it takes Bond,Felix and the US naval force to fight Spectre's soldiers underwater in a do or die battle or Miami is going to be destroyed....

Or Bond can fumble around with a thick as shit Kara or get caught caught and put his feet up in a cell....enough said...2 films that are seriously over-rated against a genuine Bond film in TB....
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited October 2016 Posts: 23,883
    barryt007 wrote: »
    For TB to come in 10th place is a serious kick in the knackers..for me it stuffs GF and TLD into touch..i would reach to watch TB over those films 10 times out of 10...the storyline is excellent and a serious nuclear threat,the location is beautiful,Bond is tough as nails (he has to be),the villains are nasty as hell, and a genuine danger in the whole area and Bond has to walk right into the middle of it,he has no choice,....he is shot and cornered and genuinely frightened.....and it takes Bond,Felix and the US naval force to fight Spectre's soldiers underwater in a do or die battle or Miami is going to be destroyed....

Or Bond can fumble around with a thick as shit Kara or get caught caught and put his feet up in a cell....enough said...2 films that are seriously over-rated against a genuine Bond film in TB....
    +1. I couldn't agree more.

To have TB at 10 is a travesty imho. It's one of the most lush Bond films, with Connery on fire in his last Terence Young outing (those who claim he's bored are suffering from delusions imho), incredibly beautiful women, outstanding dialogue (the likes of which we've not seen since sadly) and the first high stakes world domination plot.

Credibility is somewhat shot in my view with this, but let's see how it goes. Perhaps FRWL will be on top to redeem things.
    TB seems to be a marmite movie.
    Oh i hope so @bondjames ...FRWL winning this would make everything ok,it is the ultimate Bond film....all we can do is wait and hope the bloody TLD is next,so TB can grab hold of it and kick the crap out of it ,as it obviously does EVERY time on the big screen.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited October 2016 Posts: 23,883
    I too am anxiously awaiting TLD's exit @barryt007. While I perhaps don't dislike the film as much as you do, I think it's in way over its head against rarified and distinguished company in the top 10.
    Finger crossed my friend,fingers crossed ...can i whack Kara first ? haha ;)
  • HellerHeller London
    The love for TLD is purely nostalgic. It does not hold up well today, especially against the superior LTK (which seems to have found a new lease of life during the Craig years).
    LTK is 100% better than TLD @Heller ,totally agree,and the nostalgia theory is a good one,makes sense.