BOND POLLS 2016: The Top 10 JAMES BOND-007 Film Ranking Contest (Results: winner!, on page 60)

Comments

• MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    TWSLM I had as a possible range of 3 for highest - 9 for lowest, so surprising that it finished right on the cusp of the wide range. Figured it would be most likely be solidly in the 5-7 range.

My ever changing predictions on the next 5...

8.) GE (Lowest Possible: 8, Highest Possible: 6)
    7.) SF (Lowest Possible: 8, Highest Possible: 4)
    6.) TLD (Lowest Possible: 8, Highest Possible: 6)
    5.) DN (Lowest Possible: 7, Highest Possible: 3)
    4.) GF (Lowest Possible: 5, Highest Possible: 2)
    Looks as though two of my top three will finish in the top 3.
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    Some quick additional stats of those who have received first place votes so far:

9th: TSWLM - 3 First Place Votes
    10th: TB - 2 First Place Votes
    11th: LTK - 5 First Place Votes
    12th: SP - 0 First Place Votes
    13th: FYEO - 3 First Place Votes
    14th: OP - 1 First Place Votes
    15th: QoS - 1 First Place Votes
    16th: LALD - 0 First Place Votes
    17th: TWINE - 5 First Place Votes
    18th: YOLT - 0 First Place Votes
    19th: MR - 2 First Place Votes
    20th: TND - 1 First Place Votes
    21st: DAF - 1 First Place Votes
    22nd: AVTAK- 0 First Place Votes
    23rd: TMWTGG - 1 First Place Vote
    24-26th: DAD, NSNA, CR67 - 0 First Place Votes
    Five first places for TWINE that's impressive.
  • GBFGBF
    I am a fan of Moore but TSWLM is not one of my favourite Moore Films. I find it boring most of the time. Some great scenes, great and memorable henchman and a great Performance by Roger are the only highlights of this film.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Things are shaping up nicely.... :)
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    TLD beating SF??

Oh how I wish that came true.
  • edited October 2016 Posts: 1,817
    Gee, all the Moore flicks gone out already...
    I'm surprised GE beat out TSWLM.
    This is so much...FUN :D
    I dont give a monkeys as long as Bond and thick as shit Kara is next..
    barryt007 wrote: »
    I dont give a monkeys as long as Bond and thick as shit Kara is next..

It will be next my friend, don't worry. Unless it's GE...
    Kara for me falls into the Goodnight category, though I do rate TLD highly.
    I know it's all opinions, but I've always found TLD overrated on this site. I like it fine, but it's never come that close to my Top 10. The second half just kind of drags for me. I personally prefer LTK by a substantial margin.
  • edited October 2016 Posts: 6,432
    The problem I have with Goodnight is the plot is driven too much by her mishaps, Eckland is incredibly attractive though.

I think the main reason I rate TLD so highly is Dalton is a great Bond.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    I assume GE will be next ...
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    TLD overrated? It's an atmospherical Cold War thriller with fanastic stunt work and an exquisite Bond. It has Fleming written all over it.

I hope SF is next, pretentious attempt at being relevant.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited October 2016 Posts: 13,894
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    TLD overrated? It's an atmospherical Cold War thriller with fanastic stunt work and an exquisite Bond. It has Fleming written all over it.

Mendes should stick to plastic bags blowing around in the breeze.

And how can TLD be overrated, when we (fans of the film / the Dalton era) are constantly told that it is considered as one of the "lesser" Bonds? It isn't possible for TLD to be overrated, because it has never been highly rated (especially in comparison to other Bond films) to begin with. SF, on the other hand, with all of the love it gets showered with (as well as it's box office, and reviews), is a perfect example of an overrated Bond film.

You should see him on a weekend with a bottle of scotch out on the rec.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    vzok wrote: »

On weekends he answers to the name of Wino Mendes. No martinti's for Wino. it's an under the counter, 2 ltr bottle of White Lightening. "Shaking, not slurred."
    edited October 2016 Posts: 3,985

And how can TLD be overrated, when we (fans of the film / the Dalton era) are constantly told that it is considered as one of the "lesser" Bonds? It isn't possible for TLD to be overrated, because it has never been highly rated (especially in comparison to other Bond films) to begin with. SF, on the other hand, with all of the love it gets showered with (as well as it's box office, and reviews), is a perfect example of an overrated Bond film.

You can see the high regard fans have for TLD by it's lofty position on the list. Especially from aficionado's of Fleming.

It was the best Bond film since the sixties when it was released and it was a shock having an actor actually play the character instead of (all respect to Moore) just drifting along playing themselves.

More or less gone were the silly jokes and innuendo, and we got a great Fleming-esque cold war adventure that made James Bond flesh and blood again.
    vzok wrote: »

On weekends he answers to the name of Wino Mendes. No martinti's for Wino. it's an under the counter, 2 ltr bottle of White Lightening. "Shaking, not slurred."

...and there's the title of Bond 25 right there.
    edited October 2016 Posts: 13,894
    With Burt Reynolds as Bond...?

1973-white-lightning-movie-poster.jpg

;)

You can see the high regard fans have for TLD by it's lofty position on the list. Especially from aficionado's of Fleming.

It was the best Bond film since the sixties when it was released and it was a shock having an actor actually play the character instead of (all respect to Moore) just drifting along playing themselves.

More or less gone were the silly jokes and innuendo, and we got a great Fleming-esque cold war adventure that made James Bond flesh and blood again.

While I got to see both Dalton films on the big screen last year, that experience doesn't compare to seeing them on release, and because of that, I am envious.

I think the best we can hop for is a #5 to #10 placing for TLD. Natuarally, I would be even more happy for a top 5 placing, but I can't see that happening. Then again, I was surprised that TB went out when it did. I would have put money on a top 5 placing for TB.

I am happy that some people get it at least.
    Spot-on! Couldn't have said it better myself.
    As an 80's Bond film TLD works great. As mentioned above, great stunt work, and Dalton at his best IMO. Although any Bond film made in the 80's do look a bit dated, TLD still looks kind of fresh compared to the other Bond films from that decade.
    As an 80's Bond film TLD works great. As mentioned above, great stunt work, and Dalton at his best IMO. Although any Bond film made in the 80's do look a bit dated, TLD still looks kind of fresh compared to the other Bond films from that decade.

I think TLD has aged well. Strangely enough much better than GE even though TLD was made 8 years before.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    It's the Kara cheese that dates TLD imho. That, the shoulder pads and having Osama's mates as allies. Apart from that it's held up well on account of the classy Euro locales and a classic throwback flavour.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Aiding Al Qaida isn t dated.
  • GBFGBF
    bondjames wrote: »
    It's the Kara cheese that dates TLD imho. That, the shoulder pads and having Osama's mates as allies. Apart from that it's held up well on account of the classy Euro locales and a classic throwback flavour.

People often talk about the Kara cheese. Do the same people talk about the Tracy or the Vesper cheese? Sorry but no moment in TLD gets as cheesy as the love montage in OHMSS which is also coming out of nowhere. Compared to that the romance between Bond and Kara at least has some believable development.

But I must agree that Kara really is annoying and a bit too naive and stupid in some scenes.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited October 2016 Posts: 23,883
    GBF wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »

People often talk about the Kara cheese. Do the same people talk about the Tracy or the Vesper cheese? Sorry but no moment in TLD gets as cheesy as the love montage in OHMSS which is also coming out of nowhere. Compared to that the romance between Bond and Kara at least has some believable development.

But I must agree that Kara really is annoying and a bit too naive and stupid in some scenes.
    It's a fair point, but at least Tracy and Vesper demonstrated some maturity and that they were smart, strong and articulate women who Bond could credibly fall for. Kara was dated even in the 80's from what I could see - a somewhat helpless, naive throwback as you note.
    Aiding Al Qaida isn t dated.
    Fair point too. I should have perhaps said "having Osama's mates openly as allies"