BOND POLLS 2016: The Top 10 JAMES BOND-007 Film Ranking Contest (Results: winner!, on page 60)

Comments

• JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    Been at a conference today for work so only just seen this. Yeah, fair enough. Was in my top ten at 8. I do feel that it could easily move down again though, but we will see.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Can't believe that Dog, LTK is this high up!

X(
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    LTK should have gone before QoS did.
    jake24 wrote: »

My thoughts exactly. But there's no accounting for taste in democracy....
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    Agreed! I also appreciate it a lot and often there's so much debate about one movie that it easily fills the whole day :-)
    edited October 2016 Posts: 3,985
    QoS is seriously underrated.

A lean, mean, brutal Bond film, with 007 as the blunt instrument he should be.

If Craig's Bond had been in LTK he would have nutted sanchez in his office and stuck that Chameleon where the sun don't shine. And we'd have a mercifully shorter film to boot.
    jake24 wrote: »

I disagree. I have been watching the Netflix TV-Series "Narcos" heavily as of late. And because of that I actually really started appreciating LTK. It's a very 'Craig-esque' film, in that it bulks from realism and it mirrors Pablo Escobar so wonderfully (Just like, in a way, Silva mirrors Julian Assange).

LTK and QOS are in many ways very comparable though, violence-wise, the amount of realism, a tormented Bond character, etc. But I think LTK is the better film: Better edited, better storyline, great Leiter-side story, and at the end Dalton is so wonderfully charming when he jumps in the pool.

By the way, as of tomorrow I will post one result a day :-). So it's a bit more exciting.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited October 2016 Posts: 23,883
    LTK was far ahead of its time in 1989. If it was made today, they would definitely fix some of the more glaring faults, including the cheese effect. However, it still holds up well despite this due to the strength of the narrative and the performances by the two leads.

QoS, while decent enough, is more of its time. It borrows heavily from the contemporary actioners of the day (most notably The Bourne Supremacy) in story and style. Moreover, those elements which it borrowed weren't entirely necessary in my view. The film would have functioned perfectly well without the crazy cam editing.

I like them both, but am quite happy LTK still survives, although I'm pretty sure we'll see it pop up shortly.
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    Dalton is 80's Craig, but more elegant.

Sadly those were the days of Batman, Indiana Jones, Lethal Weapon and Die Hard... no place for British Intelligence.
    edited October 2016 Posts: 732
    ggl007 wrote: »
    Sadly those were the days of Batman, Indiana Jones, Lethal Weapon and Die Hard... no place for British Intelligence.
    I think you're right with it - but I would not want to miss any Indiana Jones nor Lethal Weapon Movie.

But it's a good comparison: Bond was not as relevant back then as it is today. If SF (and SP, too) showed one thing it's that following CR there was and is a great increase of ticket sales for Bond movies. So whatever things the Craig era was missing for Bond afficionados - it definitley broadened the demand (again) for more of it throughout the general audience.

I like the Dalton movies (TLD better than LTK) - but with his 2 entries he was unable to bring a peak performance movie like Connery, Moore and Craig have been able to during their times. Maybe it was really the climate back then that lowered interest in Bond - the cold war agent with all the gadgets.

So BB and MW definitely did something right back in 2005 when they opened that completely new chapter.

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    That is now 4 (TND, YOLT, TWINE & FYEO) of my top 10 gone. Still got 6 more to go, including both Dalton films.
  • HellerHeller London
    Really want LTK to crack the top 10, but I suspect it won't.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    From the 11 films remaining it should be SF that ends up on spot 11, in my personal opinion, but sooner will hell freeze over than this happening.

I guess LTK will not make the top 10 which is a shame.
  • GBFGBF
    @seancraig,

Keep in mind that back in the 80s there have been Bond Films everyone two years. I guess Craig benefits from the fact that the frequency of Bond film making has been reduced cosiderably. I also think that Craig benefits from the amazing Bond tradition. A Bond film today is sonething very special and watched by several generations of Bond fans. In the 80s things might have been different.
    From the 11 films remaining it should be SF that ends up on spot 11, in my personal opinion, but sooner will hell freeze over than this happening.

Do you want SF to die? Or to obliterate from our timeline? Or does SF need to get the Ebola disease? Or does SF create mass self-destruction :-P?
    edited October 2016 Posts: 9,020

Do you want SF to die? Or to obliterate from our timeline? Or does SF need to get the Ebola disease? Or does SF create mass self-destruction :-P?

Absolutely not.
    Just re-shoot all scenes with Silva with Tom Hardy or another decent actor that will not ruin the character.
    Furthermore just omit the stupid underground wagon through floor crash and replace boring Newman with exciting David Arnold and SF would make it into my Top 12 or higher.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Mikkelsen>Bardem.
    Mikkelsen is far, far superior to Bardem.
    Javier Bardem's Silva is definitely one of my favorite Bond villains - my personal favorite of the Craig era. I was constantly entertained by his bizarre character. Mikkelson's Le Chiffre is also very good though.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    As far as Bond villains. go, Le Chiffre was slightly above average.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    The Craig era villains have all been well above average. Bardem in particular is my favorite.
    That's all good with me folks. Just answered Gert's question.
    Mikkelsen was just pitch perfect - best villain since good old Auric Goldfinger. But I really liked Bardem, too.
    sxeiiah.jpg
    Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnn!!!!!
    edited October 2016 Posts: 13,894
    Oh well, it lasted this long.
    Darn; I was really hoping LTK could sneak into the Top 10. So close.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Well, I end with 8 of my initial Top Ten in the Top Ten.
    Me too.
    edited October 2016 Posts: 9,020
    I end up with 8 as well.
    Oh a lot of the stalwarts didn't vote but we got GBF's cousin.