2016 Rio Olympics discussion

1235»

Comments

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    No need to slag off The Netherlands. And vice versa. That's sports.

That wasn't even close to slagging off. It barely even qualifies as banter. I strongly advise you never to go to an old firm match dear @4EverBonded.

And revelling in the other team's misery is exactly what sport is all about.

The only thing better than watching Liverpool win 6-0 is watching Utd lose 6-0.
    Congrats US women on back to back water polo gold medals.If only our men would win gold like our ladies, it would be scary how far ahead we would be.
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 11,119
    Perhaps the British can still learn a few things from the Dutch with regard to investments in amateur sports?

Perhaps the Dutch can still learn a few things from the British with regard to cycling, rowing, swimming and triathlon?

First of all, my congrats for the British females with their first ever Gold Medal win in the final of Women's Field Hockey. I am very sorry for the Dutch ladies. Former Dutch captain and NOS-co-commentator Fatima Moreira de Melo was in tears:

ZUthAh0.jpg

But this is sports. You have winners, and you have losers. And although I wanted the Dutch ladies to win three consecutive gold medals (after Beijing 2008, and London 2012), I think overall this is also good for the international respect and prestige of Hockey.

After football, Hockey is definately the 2nd most popular team sports in The Netherlands. I played it actively myself. And Netherlands dominated Hockey during the 1990's, 2000's and 2010's. But I think it's good that now Argentina wins the Gold with men's Hockey (1st time ever for the South-American continent), Belgium the Silver (first time ever for our dear southern neighbors), and the British their Gold in the women's tournament (their first time ever).

Regarding my little 'punch' towards the UK........that was meant with an eyewink obviously :-). I have the greatest respect for the UK here. I mean, come on, you crush the Chinese on the medal tally. But let's put things into perspective a bit. This is the medal tally of today:

zNm01tT.jpg

And let's now compare it with some demographics:

X6b93CF.jpg

You know what that makes The Netherlands? A tiny, forgettable, unnoticeable speck on the map of Planet Earth. Yet, if compared with other small nations, like for instance Denmark, Colombia, Vietnam, Uruguay, Poland, New-Zealand, Sweden and Switzerland....The Netherlands is not somewhere down on spot #23 of the medal tally. Look a bit closer. Ooowh, yes, they are 10th now :-).

So in essence the achievements of The Netherlands and The United Kingdom are comparable, but for different reasons. There's one big similarity though: Both The UK and The Netherlands perceive professional (and amateur) topsports as damn important. For both our nations. It creates legacy (London 2012 still lives on in the spirit of all British athletes), it creates good health, it creates good spirits, and eventually its beneficial for our economies.

The Netherlands ♥ The United Kingdom, and vice versa ;-). Well, when it comes to sports :-P.
  • RC7RC7
    Important to note Hungary's performance. They have a population the size of Greater London.
    RC7 wrote: »
    Important to note Hungary's performance. They have a population the size of Greater London.

Absolutely, the Hungarian results on the Olympics are always quite comparable to those of Netherlands. Hungary invests a large chunk of the annual GDP in professional topsports. They were 10th during the 2012 Olympics on the medal tally.

By the way @RC7, do you like watching Hockey?

• RC7RC7
    RC7 wrote: »

Absolutely, the Hungarian results on the Olympics are always quite comparable to those of Netherlands. Hungary invests a large chunk of the annual GDP in professional topsports. They were 10th during the 2012 Olympics on the medal tally.

By the way @RC7, do you like watching Hockey?

I wouldn't say it's exactly bursting with drama, but I don't mind it.
    why have the 4x400m british men's team been dq - i don't understand? Seems really odd and a deal been done to get the brazilian team into the final.
    Wouldn't doubt it the host nation always seems to catch lucky breaks in the Olympics.
    I want to talk about about the medal designs from the past 13 Summer & Winter Games.

From the recent Summer Games, I was quite happy that China set a new standard. Their Beijing medals may look conservative, but I also find them very chique, elegant and noble:

3659e_lg.jpeg
    19890d_lg.jpeg
    5168359.jpg?size=640x420

So how nice it was that the organising committee of the London 2012 Olympics completely u-turned with their medal designs. IMO way more 'new-age', with flashes of pop-art and Danish/Dutch design. They were really the anti-design of the Beijing Olympics. Conservative (Beijing 2008) versus Progressive (London 2012). Hence why these are my 2nd favourite medals of the last 6 Summer Olympics:

london_2012medals.jpeg
    london-olympic2012-medals2.jpg

On the whole though, I'm more a fan of the medal designs from the Winter Olympics, which IMO always had more progressive and unique designs without that Greek Godess Nike on it. Therefore I was stunned to see the Vancouver 2010 Olympic medals. I truly loved them. They also are the biggest medals to date:

Silver_Medal_of_Vancouver_2010.JPG
    vancouver-2010-medals.jpg
    bilodeau-alexandre-940-8col.jpg

The 1998 Nagano were absolutely stunning too. Also these medals had a large jade stone in it, on which the logo's were engraved. The logo itself was colored by hand:

Nagano.jpg
    object_40.1369912030.96848.jpg?1369912105.95377

But, to be honest? I find the Rio 2016 medals, despite their huge size, rather bland design-wise. I just can not get excited by these medals. The emblym itself to me looks like an uninspired version of the Barcelona 1992 logo. The London 2012 emblym for that reason is my favourite:

rio-2016-olympics-medals_1hko0oaxehu981n9pd27g1h4z9.jpg?t=1344886861
    _90621529_hi033784210.jpg
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 613
    Very interesting topic Graves I prefer a traditional solid medal with no curves and a good color.The ones in Brazil are quite nice but the bronze and gold look similar in certain angles which I don't like.
    Usain Bolt your amazing I am lucky to see you while I'm alive.
    I read an article today that the Chinese are using these Olympics to get their young athletes some experience for the Tokyo games because they have so much animosity towards Japan and they want to come out on top in their enemies home land what do you guys think?
    Enemies was probably the wrong term
  • GBFGBF
    Has anyone seen the hanball match between France and Germany? Damm but this was close. In the absolutely last second France scored and won. Ok so today will be Brazil against Germany in Football. Rio is a good Place for German football players. 2014 WC, yesterday the women won Gold. So now it is time for the young male team.
    I am so proud of how team GB are doing, and it would be incredible to finish 2nd above China! Good luck people!!!!
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 140
    Swim, Cycle and a Run up for team GB. Come on ladies. Helen Jenkins - third olympics - needs to finish with a bit of gold, you go girl.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited August 2016 Posts: 17,805
    GB doing brilliantly. For country of 64 million, we're punching far above our weight.

Too right.

Pissing all over the rest of the EU. Who says we can't hold our own as a nation? #brexit

Agreed!

I wonder how long it will be before someone comes on and says how much better Team GB would have done had the UK voted to stay in the EU?!
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Nicola Adams retains her Olympic title! True Yorkshire grit!
    Nicola Adams retains her Olympic title! True Yorkshire grit!

Loved it - legend.

Dragonpol wrote: »
    GB doing brilliantly. For country of 64 million, we're punching far above our weight.

Too right.

Pissing all over the rest of the EU. Who says we can't hold our own as a nation? #brexit

Agreed!

I wonder how long it will be before someone comes on and says how much better Team GB would have done had the UK voted to stay in the EU?!

Why would anybody make that statement it lacks even more vision that stating that team GB is pissing al over the EU. They would certainly enjoy that remark in Iceland.

;)
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 140
    the time is now for Britain's fastest immigrant - all you keep our borders closed, shame on you - this man is putting the Great in Great Britain. Come on Mohamed you are living British sporting legend.

Edit - The boy done good....again.
    Great Olympic games congrats to USA and UK for coming in 1st and 2nd.
    Great Olympic games congrats to USA and UK for coming in 1st and 2nd.

I think if you come second you are a natural born winner.

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Congrats, Great Britain! :)

http://www.bbc.com/sport/olympics/37132833
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator

And that's not going to happen any time soon. ;)
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited August 2016 Posts: 9,117
    NicNac wrote: »

I'd take just winning. Sodding Burnley FFS.
  • NicNac wrote: »

As a result we are now in a different place. Yet the first non-Olympic news item on BBC this morning was about the worry of child obesity. So how do we tackle this conundrum?

Diet. No need for much exercise in the young & too much can cause joint problems later on. Kids are simply eating too much.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    NicNac wrote: »

I'd take just winning. Sodding Burnley FFS.

Leicester mastered the art of winning with low possession, but that was like 35-40%. Burnley are trying to take this to a whole new level.
    I love our sweethearts the USA Women's Gymnastics team. XOXO to them all.

Our relay teams need some help on the handoffs. Thank God the women 4x100 won their appeal and was able to bring home the Gold. I guess the silver Jamaicans were not too happy about that. I saw the Germans congratulating our women but not the Jamaicans. To Jamaica: KISS MY GRITS

Then the men's 4x100 got themselves disqualified and did not get any medals on some handoff violation. Aw Hell!

and Ryan Lochte is a bonnafide asshole of the first degree.
    Well done to team GB for finishing 2nd in the medals table! Simply outstanding!!!