2016 Rio Olympics discussion

Comments

This is a big Olympics for them, I wouldn't be surprised if they won.Every gold medal counts if you want to stay ahead of China.

I don't care. I want to see Netherlands in the TOP 10 of the medal tally. We're a smaller nation....and our population is smaller :-).
    I get that ,but I think UK has that special something these Olympics.
    Netherlands too.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited August 2016 Posts: 12,459
    The "oh he put a gun to my head and I said 'Whatever'" story by swimmer Lochte seems to be changing. Hmmm. He managed to leave the country before the judge ordered them all to stay.

Congrats on the girls sweeping the hurdles. That was epic.
    China has equaled UK in gold's you guys are in trouble, can't hold off that dragon.
    Yes, the sweep for women's 100m hurdles was amazing. :)
  • GBFGBF
    This is a big Olympics for them, I wouldn't be surprised if they won.Every gold medal counts if you want to stay ahead of China.

I don't care. I want to see Netherlands in the TOP 10 of the medal tally. We're a smaller nation....and our population is smaller :-).

Congratulation to GB. Probably you still benefit from the Olympics 2012. Back then much money was invested to promote sports that are not in the focus of the media or sponsors. And of course athlets who are successfull do not quit from one year to the next. Maybe in Tokyo Germany will also become more successfull than now.

• GBFGBF
    Interesting @Marketto007 ;-). I do know that the booing does motivate some athletes as well. Especially teams :-). Still, it is sad this happens.

Regarding field hockey..........the New Zealanders and the British are fighting for a spot in the final against arch nemesis Netherlands :-P.

German athlets are probably the most booed this Olympics because of the football WC semi final in 2014. But they really seam to benefit from it. The beachvolleyball ladies won matches easily against the both Brazilian teams and won the gold medal last night, even though they were booed all the time. Now I am surprised how the football final between Germany and Brazil will be like :-)
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    GBF wrote: »

Congratulation to GB. Probably you still benefit from the Olympics 2012. Back then much money was invested to promote sports that are not in the focus of the media or sponsors. And of course athlets who are successfull do not quit from one year to the next. Maybe in Tokyo Germany will also become more successfull than now.

It has been much publicised that back in 1996 GB won one gold and around 12 medals total. At that point the Government said enough is enough, and so began massive investment in sport.

As a result we are now in a different place. Yet the first non-Olympic news item on BBC this morning was about the worry of child obesity. So how do we tackle this conundrum?
  • GBFGBF
    NicNac wrote: »
    GBF wrote: »

It has been much publicised that back in 1996 GB won one gold and around 12 medals total. At that point the Government said enough is enough, and so began massive investment in sport.

As a result we are now in a different place. Yet the first non-Olympic news item on BBC this morning was about the worry of child obesity. So how do we tackle this conundrum?

Have they mainly invested in professional sports or also on amateur sports? The US is also very successfull in professional sport but at the same time having the highest degree of fat people.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Amateur sport. The funding from the National Lottery has basically kept the swimmers, cyclists, gymnasts etc training on a full time basis.
    Perhaps the British can still learn a few things from the Dutch with regard to investments in amateur sports?
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Gold and Silver for the Brownlee brothers once again in the men's triathlon. Amazing stuff.
  • RC7RC7
    Perhaps the British can still learn a few things from the Dutch with regard to investments in amateur sports?

You're like David Brent trying to flog his 100 pack of surface wipes.
    RC7 wrote: »

You're like David Brent trying to flog his 100 pack of surface wipes.

I am I :-)
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 140
    i think the real big story that's been swept under the carpet is that a number of the boxing judges and refs were asked to leave, sacked if you like. Word is that the Russian Boxing federation have deep pockets.

This story has been hidden, I suppose tv comps, advertisers and sponsors want the story gone.

Lesson here - don't believe all that is fed to you through the controlled media.

'Sporting officials are questioning the legitimacy of boxing calls made during all 200-some Olympics competitions, the Associated Press reports. The International Boxing Association (AIBA) dismissed referees and judges for incompetence, yet will uphold all results of Olympic matches.

The boxing organization chose 36 total referees and judges for the Olympics. Competition judges come from a number of countries worldwide and perform their duties in groups of five. Yet only three scores, based on a 10-point system, end up contributing to the final outcome.

As coaches, boxers, and spectators refute outcomes, the AIBA is looking into the individuals selected to score matches. Board members reviewed matches they themselves thought to be controversial, unfair, and subjective. They said in a statement, “Less than a handful of the decisions were not at the level expected.”A number of the referees and judges have been released.'

Sport ethics are two words that some countries will never understand. Let alone the very definition of the word 'ethics'. For me, Russia is a nation that should be feared. Have they ever heard about the motto of the Olympics?
    Great day 13 for USA , 5 gold medals well done.
    Great day 13 for USA , 5 gold medals well done.

Don't go trashing a petrol station with all the excitement...

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited August 2016 Posts: 9,117

Perhaps the Dutch can still learn a few things from the British with regard to cycling, rowing, swimming and triathlon?
    It's gold for GB in the women's hockey. Delicious.
    edited August 2016 Posts: 12,459
    Gold in women's hockey! Yay Great Britain! :)
    I am just happy for all of UK that Britain is shining these Olympics.
    Honestly, I love The Netherlands, too. Just glad to see so many medals for Britain.
    edited August 2016 Posts: 5,080

Perhaps the Dutch can still learn a few things from the British with regard to cycling, rowing, swimming and triathlon?

You can add hockey to that, Wiz.
  • RC7RC7

You can add Hockey to that list now, too.

Great minds, and all that.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'

Best team in the world? You're having a laugh Gustav.

Every sport you look at we are overachieving except in the only one that matters.

And I'd give every single medal back in a heartbeat just to get to a World Cup semi.
    No need to slag off The Netherlands. And vice versa. That's sports.
    The hockey match was GB playing not to lose with only 20% possession and a bloody great goalie, she made the difference. And she plays in the Dutch hockey competition to become a better player. So lets stick to the matter that the Dutch Hockey competition is still the best one in the world.

A deep bow for that British Goalie she is awesome and 50% responsible for the Gold.

Tonight sadly we lost the Gold, fair and square.
  • RC7RC7
    SaintMark wrote: »
    The hockey match was GB playing not to lose with only 20% possession and a bloody great goalie, she made the difference. And she plays in the Dutch hockey competition to become a better player. So lets stick to the matter that the Dutch Hockey competition is still the best one in the world.

A deep bow for that British Goalie she is awesome and 50% responsible for the Gold.

Tonight sadly we lost the Gold, fair and square.

Ha ha

It's gold for GB in the women's hockey. Delicious.

Thighs, thighs, thighs and highs. True Grit. Unbeaten and well deserved. Super talented and years in the making for this gold - gawd bless 'em.