2016 Rio Olympics discussion

Comments

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited August 2016 Posts: 12,459
    Falling or diving across the finish line is perfectly legal. Get over your negative feelings. Consensus was she was falling anyway. But no matter - it is allowed.
    Falling or diving across the finish line is perfectly legal. Get over your negative feelings. Consensus was she was falling anyway. But no matter - it is allowed.
    ya im sure your happy to see America lose like everyone else but I wouldn't want to win like that.

No, I'm American. Happy when we win. But I don't discount this particular kind of win. Unlucky for the others and lucky for her? Sure. But I have no hard feelings against her. It was a legitimate win.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    ya im sure your happy to see America lose like everyone else but I wouldn't want to win like that.

In all fairness I think she overbalanced rather than actively dived but even if she launched herself like Christopher Reeve (when playing Superman I hasten to add, not coming off a horse) whats your point?

Its about getting round the track and crossing the line first. As far as I'm aware is there even a rule saying you have to run? As long as you dont come out of your lane you can walk on your hands and do a triple back flip over the line and it will count.
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 140
    Forget all this THE FIX was in. Did you see the 91kg boxing final? The ref was in on it, the judges were in it - pure fix. The crowd booed the house down booed him off the medal stage, just booed him. Fixed, fixed and fixed. stltoday.com/sports/olympics/column-judging-problems-return-to-olympic-boxing/article_d178f341-e430-5830-b7d6-ccc6550846c6.html
  • GBFGBF
    I really like sports and I also enjoy the Olympics. It is really interesting to get an impression of so many different kind of sports. On German television and their internet live channels you can almost watch everything. The only really annoying things are doping and the bad organisation of the games. How can it be that so many arenas look so empty and why do the fans of the host country not really care for any other athlets and even show their little respect by booing them.
    How's the 10 KM marathon swimming going? Yesterday 'we' won Gold in the women's event on this discipline. Congrats to Sharon van Rouwendaal :-).
    Wow, and Ferry Weertman just won Gold too in the 10 km marathon swimming event - men :-O.
    Medal Tally so far, 16.08.2016:

FC0XL4C.jpg
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    For those outside UK, who could't watch the Synchronized Swimming girls.

• edited August 2016 Posts: 613
    Medal Tally so far, 16.08.2016:

FC0XL4C.jpg

Nicely done team UK , impressive.How many more events do you guys have left where you guys have a realistic shot at gold?
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Anyone watching the men's Keirin final? Absolutely shocking stuff.
    Anyone watching the men's Keirin final? Absolutely shocking stuff.

Yes, me! OMG, two false starts!! And I'm getting tired of the referees who lack the balls to disqualify some cyclists! First the Brit and the Malaysian. And now the German. It's a mess.

Ha! The German has been allowed to ride again.
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 11,119
    Dammit! Those damn Brits win again :-). Congratulations for Kenny. The Dutchman Büchli 2nd!

You know? What the Dutch were doing during the Sochi Wintergames (speedskating), is what the Brits are doing during the Rio Summergames (cycling): DESTROYING :-P
    double post *edit*
    TEN Gold medals between Trott and Kenny. That's mad.
    TEN Gold medals between Trott and Kenny. That's mad.

It's fucked up madness indeed ;-). Congrats though.
    VERY pleased with Britain's medal count growing. :)
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Horrendous judgements in the boxing earlier today. Left a really bad taste in the mouth.

It is legal but discouraged as it could cause injury to the runner as well as other runners. Like most Americans ( Allyson is my sweetheart) I was appalled and mighty pissed but I have made piece with the Bahaman runner's move.

the Women's Gymnastics team will continue to own the arena while I'm waiting to see if the women's track team (and men) will bring home more gold.

will our 4X100 relay beat the Jamaicans this time around?
    I would love to know @Marketto007 's opinion now about something.

I was watching the medal ceremony of the 'Men's Pole Vault' Athletics event. My congratulations for Thiago Braz Da Silva. Won-der-ful.

But one thing really really bothered me. The -mainly Brazilian- audience was booing so incredibly loudly when Renaud Lavillenie received the silver medal. I....I was stunned....and gutted! It was so incredibly loud, that the poor Lavillenie started crying. And make no mistake, athletics is a 'No-Go' for football-esque hooliganism and booing.

Is....is this the Olympic Spirit? I don't think so. And I really hope Brazilian television presenters were openly condeming the behaviour of the Brazilian audience at this medal event. And during other events as well. I just don't get this! Brazilians should take an example to the English audiences during the 2012 Games and even the mainly Russian audiences during the 2014 Winter Games.

I am curious what you think @Marketto007
    re the Bahamian runner - I do think she had started to fall, but either way I have no problem with her winning that way.

Anyway, here is this. Just one problem at these games. Rio does have serious, serious problems going on. Lovely to see the athletes compete, but so much is faulty or downright dangerous or people being taken advantage of it seems ...

the pools' water turning green (and still no agreed upon reason for it)

• marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    @Gustav_Graves, to me, this is unacceptable, especially when it comes to such a huge event as the Olympics and the whole spirit of it. Brazilian crowds are going crazy in all kinds of games in Rio 2016, even in Table Tennis :D. I was reading today that brazilian athletes and the International Olympic Committee are asking for the fans to stop booing foreign competitors. In the other hand, some of this foreign athletes are loving this whole athmosphere of the brazilian people.

http://globoesporte.globo.com/olimpiadas/noticia/2016/08/olimpiada-da-vaia-atletas-entre-critica-e-aceitacao-postura-do-publico.html
    Interesting @Marketto007 ;-). I do know that the booing does motivate some athletes as well. Especially teams :-). Still, it is sad this happens.

Regarding field hockey..........the New Zealanders and the British are fighting for a spot in the final against arch nemesis Netherlands :-P.
    New-Zeland - Great Britain: 0 - 1 !! After 6 min's in the 2nd quart!

It will be an Anglo-Dutch battle :-P
    I love enthusiasm from a crowd, but booing competitors at an Olympics games is really low class. Disrespectful in the extreme. That is very disappointing.
    And here's the Final of Hockey Women at the 2016 Olympics:

kLDlFaz.jpg

Time to teach that damned Brittannia that on certain things they do not rule the waves anymore ;-) =P~ !!
    This is a big Olympics for them, I wouldn't be surprised if they won.Every gold medal counts if you want to stay ahead of China.
    This is a big Olympics for them, I wouldn't be surprised if they won.Every gold medal counts if you want to stay ahead of China.

I don't care. I want to see Netherlands in the TOP 10 of the medal tally. We're a smaller nation....and our population is smaller :-).