2016 Rio Olympics discussion

Comments

Djokovic knocked out in 1st round by Del Potro. Wow!!!

That was lovely, but not all that surprising, really. Del Potro is a great player himself. And Djokovic's previous Olympic singles match was... a defeat to Del Potro in London - after which Djokovic meticulously decimated all his rackets. 8-|
    Sanchairs wrote: »

note to self, if you become the world's best t player and just become a new dad, do not leave wife at home whilst you go to nightclub, have an affair with the hottest bollywood female star on the planet, oh yes and don't let the paps catch you and take pics of you in the act...as this might put you off your game. what a plonker.

Umm... what? He what? He did? I know he loves his country so much he decided to live in Monaco, and that in Rio he preferred to live outside of the Olympic village in some nice place, in order to concentrate on winning gold, not bothered by those pesky other athletes. But this is news to me. If true that's a new low even for him.

• MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    GB doing brilliantly. For country of 64 million, we're punching far above our weight.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    GB doing brilliantly. For country of 64 million, we're punching far above our weight.

Too right.

Pissing all over the rest of the EU. Who says we can't hold our own as a nation? #brexit
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    VERY thrilled for this win: Anthony Ervin
    Gold medal at age 35, 16 after his first gold medal same event. LOVE this!

• RC7RC7

Too right.

Pissing all over the rest of the EU. Who says we can't hold our own as a nation? #brexit

Big time. We're killing it.
    Tuulia wrote: »

That was lovely, but not all that surprising, really. Del Potro is a great player himself. And Djokovic's previous Olympic singles match was... a defeat to Del Potro in London - after which Djokovic meticulously decimated all his rackets. 8-|

note to self, if you become the world's best t player and just become a new dad, do not leave wife at home whilst you go to nightclub, have an affair with the hottest bollywood female star on the planet, oh yes and don't let the paps catch you and take pics of you in the act...as this might put you off your game. what a plonker.

Umm... what? He what? He did? I know he loves his country so much he decided to live in Monaco, and that in Rio he preferred to live outside of the Olympic village in some nice place, in order to concentrate on winning gold, not bothered by those pesky other athletes. But this is news to me. If true that's a new low even for him.

https://s3.postimg.org/rf65h2c1f/dressed_hot_deepika_padukone_spotted_dinner_date.jpgdressed_hot_deepika_padukone_spotted_dinner_date.jpg
    Yes, I'm very happy to see Britain doing so well. :)
    What time is Phelps last race on tonight? I cant find the time anywhere.
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    What time is Phelps last race on tonight? I cant find the time anywhere.

it's on at drug o'clock or known as my chemist is better than yours.

1st Gold .... years ago ... and his last one. Mr. Phelps:

and Mo :)
    edited August 2016 Posts: 5,080
    We're essentially only 2 golds behind China considering it's an all British men's sprint final tomorrow. Could we finally overtake the Chinese on the medal table?

The Best
    We're gonna overtake China at this rate. Absolute stellar performance from Max Whitlock. Guaranteed silver and gold later on in cycling, guaranteed silver in the Murray/Potro match and golf.

xqhr82.jpg

Where's your snarky comment now, ey, Donald Tusk?
    We're gonna overtake China at this rate. Absolute stellar performance from Max Whitlock. Guaranteed silver and gold later on in cycling, guaranteed silver in the Murray/Potro match and golf.

xqhr82.jpg

Where's your snarky comment now, ey, Donald Tusk?

Max Whitlock from absolutely nowhere!

And hes still got the pommel horse with Louis Smith to come.

Is it merely a coincidence that the first post Brexit olympics sees us taking our rightful place as one of the greatest nations in the world? I think not.
    congrats I hope you guys do surpass china that would be quite impressive.I thought China was going to be giving USA a run but doesn't look like it at this point.
    Gold in the golf, gold and silver in the pommel horse - we've just overtaken China apparently.

Plus a gold and silver minimum guaranteed in the cycling, a probable gold in the rowing and favourite for gold in the tennis.

We'll be on USA's coat tails by the end of the evening.

I wonder if Hodgson and any of the squad are watching this? British athletes excelling across the board in all sports. Just a shame that we're utter shite in the only one that actually matters.

Women volleyball team. God Dam. If there are any single horny dudes I suggest you don't watch.
    beach volley ball? Murray putting me through his ring again - andy do this for the Falklands..
    Murray putting me through his ring again

Really? And I thought he was married with a kid? Just goes to show you can never tell.
    andy do this for the Falklands..

Good point. Last time it was us v the Argies on this continent we brought it home. Come on Andy - remember the Coventry!
    Murray, what an iron man, what a man of steel, what a super hero.

He just whipped it out, laid it in, and pumped his way to victory. Come on!!!!!!
    Usain Bolt what a monster-talent and a seemingly nice person.
    Swimsuits possibly inspired by Day of the Dead PTS?

Swimsuits possibly inspired by Day of the Dead PTS?

Absolutely because for James Bond put that particular day on the map it was virtually unknown.

Katie Ledecky is my new celebrity crush.
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    Katie Ledecky is my new celebrity crush.

georgie twiggGeorgie+Twigg+Olympics+Day+4+Hockey+FG84xtzNsIEl.jpg

• edited August 2016 Posts: 11,119
    My question to all of you, WHICH country in the updated TOP 15 medal tally is geographically the smallest nation ;-)?? Come come come please ;-) ?!?!

TE78xfy.jpg
    Oimojsm.jpg

By the way, I have great admiration for the UK's results here. By jolly are they crushing China. I consider myself as a Dutchman lucky to have an overseas neighbour that is the 2nd biggest sports nation of the world (Not because of Brexit! Solely for sports ;-)). And IMO a sports nation that treats sports with an ethical and just vision.
    Well in all fairness, @Gustav, geographical size doesn't really mean anything: you should compare population size instead (in which case, New Zealand, pop. of over 4 million, and Hungary, pop. of over 9 million, are the "smallest" and are punching relatively above their weight).

Still, the Netherlands are doing well also. Wonderful performance from the Dutch in the women's road race. I felt really sorry for Annemiek van Vleuten. :(
    Total bill shit on the ally Felix race how are you allowed to dive across the finish line like that.Garbage
    That girl should be DQ'ed
    Congrats to you UK guys for passing China in gold medal count.Id rather you guys be our rival than China.