Which actor would make a good Bond villain?

Comments

• CigaretteLeiterCigaretteLeiter United States
    Jimmy Smits would be a good option, he's got the chops for it, and his voice has a menacing, Bond Villain-esque quality to it. Hell, in another world where Nightfire was a movie, Smits would have been a good choice to play Raphael Drake.

JimmySmits_AFI_GL.jpg

350?cb=20161130014656
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 17,272
    Jimmy Smits would be a good option, he's got the chops for it, and his voice has a menacing, Bond Villain-esque quality to it. Hell, in another world where Nightfire was a movie, Smits would have been a good choice to play Raphael Drake.

JimmySmits_AFI_GL.jpg

350?cb=20161130014656

Jimmy Smits always seem to deliver what is required for a role. Good suggestion!
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Andy Serkis
    Chadwick Boseman
    edited March 2018 Posts: 11,139
    Edit
    Daniel Day Lewis as Blofeld...He wouldn't do it of course, but he would definitely make the character omnipotent. Waltz was given nothing to work with and the writers completely botched it for him. (Waltz's Blofeld was sunk the moment he said "cuckoo"). Tim Roth, Marton Csokas, Tom Hiddleston, Tom Hardy, Viggo Mortensen come to mind or do you go against type and go for Jeremy Renner, Jamie Foxx or even Denzel as the villain? With a new cold war looming Lena Headey would make a great Russian spy!
    Birdleson wrote: »
    It just hit me, not that I actually want to see it happen, that Michael Shannon could make a fine Jaws.

A very scary one, as well! He doesn't even need to alter his looks to look menacing in a role.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Shannon could also make a great Kronsteen type villain.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2018 Posts: 23,883
    After recently viewing Red Sparrow, I'd be happy with any of the below as a chief villain. All brilliant:

-Jeremy Irons (I've always thought he would make a great Blofeld)
    -Charlotte Rampling (made for Bond)
    -Ciaran Hinds (if they decided to bring in a Russian connection, he would be great, having played such in both The Sum of All Fears and Sparrow)
    -Matthias Schoenaerts - extremely charismatic and coolly enigmatic, while looking a little like a young Putin
    Shannon could also make a great Kronsteen type villain.

At 1.90 he would have been a more imposing Kronsteen type.
    I'm not really a fan of the 'Shannon as Bond villain' idea. While he's undoubtedly a great actor, to my eyes his appearance make him too obviously villainous.
    bondjames wrote: »
    I'm not really a fan of the 'Shannon as Bond villain' idea. While he's undoubtedly a great actor, to my eyes his appearance make him too obviously villainous.

They can't go for the "big reveal" of him being a bad guy in the middle of the movie, that's for sure. Needs to be presented as a villain from the first scene he plays, if so.
    Being obviously villainous is a good quality in these roles. Think of Dennis Hopper. Few can be as intense and menacing, he has been typecast for a good reason.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    Lesley Manville.
    After recently viewing Red Sparrow, I'd be happy with any of the below as a chief villain. All brilliant:

-Jeremy Irons (I've always thought he would make a great Blofeld)
    -Charlotte Rampling (made for Bond)
    -Ciaran Hinds (if they decided to bring in a Russian connection, he would be great, having played such in both The Sum of All Fears and Sparrow)
    -Matthias Schoenaerts - extremely charismatic and coolly enigmatic, while looking a little like a young Putin

Yep; but only if the writing is good and that's the fundimentally biggest creative problem Bond has right now.
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    edited March 2018 Posts: 754
    Having just watched series Babylon Berlin and discovering EVERYONE in it is awesome and totally unknown to me, that’s what Bond should be (again). NO more Hollywood stars propping up the series. let Bond be the STAR star and hire great actors from foreign countries and make the story and characters the other STARS.
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 684
    With the Boyle rumor, how would everyone feel about Christopher Ecceleston as the baddie? He carries his weight well on screen. I think he'd play well against Craig. Depends on what they're going for of course. The name power isn't there, like Bardem or Waltz.

Boyle doesn't seem to have as stable a rotation of actors as some other directors, but he has worked with him on three projects. The only actors he's worked with more, it seems, are Ewan McGregor (who's not an obvious choice by any means) and Robert Carlyle (who I'd normally see as more fitting than either of the others, but he's done it once; though it is a new continuity so maybe for the right role...)
    Eccleston is also a friend of Craig so that could work beautifully on screen.
    I don't know much about him. I think I've only seen him in the 2nd Thor film where he played the chief villain in thick makeup. He wasn't bad in that film.

He wouldn't be my first choice but seems like an accomplished enough actor.

I wonder if they will go this route or instead shoot for someone more famous. The last two have been Oscar winners.
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 19,339
    I just pray its a standalone with an actor we at least know...we are due a good villain.
    The Craig films haven't really had a 'great' villain you could look back on.

For me,Le Chiffre is the best,followed by Greene.
    I don't know much about him. I think I've only seen him in the 2nd Thor film where he played the chief villain in thick makeup. He wasn't bad in that film.

I wonder if they will go this route or instead shoot for someone more famous. The last two have been Oscar winners.

I'm personally in favor of casting lesser known actors as villains but I understand it's going slightly against a trend. But he's not a complete unknown and has been in many high profile productions.

What I think could be playing against is his nationality: since CR they haven't had British villains except in secondary roles (Denbigh for instance). Not that I mind as British badguys or British actors playing badguys is a tiresome cliche and I love foreign villains in a Bond movie, but in any case Eccleston would be going against this trend too.
    Ludovico wrote: »

I'm personally in favor of casting lesser known actors as villains but I understand it's going slightly against a trend. But he's not a complete unknown and has been in many high profile productions.

What I think could be playing against is his nationality: since CR they haven't had British villains except in secondary roles (Denbigh for instance). Not that I mind as British badguys or British actors playing badguys is a tiresome cliche and I love foreign villains in a Bond movie, but in any case Eccleston would be going against this trend too.
    That's a good point you bring up about British villains. It's certainly a bit of a cliche these days, emphasized even more by the Jaguar ad from a few years back. Yes, that perhaps discounts him somewhat.

Just looking at photos online, I see him as more of a section chief or facilator/ally rather than a chief villain.
    Ecclestone wouldn’t be the typical posh Brit.
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 4,599
    I think we can look forward to something more scaled down rather than some mad man who wants to take over the World. It will have to fit the smaller scale of the movie and the theme of character. Leading from that, the next question will be the aim and motivations of the bad guy. Money is a cliche. (I think we can say goodbye to previous ideas of Musk type , grand industrialists) . I think the role will be a wonderful opportunity for a genuine actor rather than previous Austin Powers style posturing.

There is something dark and scary about Ecclestone IMHO, bring it on.
    vzok wrote: »
    Ecclestone wouldn’t be the typical posh Brit.

I'd easily see him as a brutish Grant or a vulgar Drax. Bond novels have their share of thuggish villains.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Now this is who I would've originally cast as a 21st century Ernst Stavro Blofeld. This look from Ex Machina just screams modern-day Bond villain.

OscarIsaacExMachina.jpg?itok=H_9tHSyl
    Denbigh wrote: »
    Now this is who I would've originally cast as a 21st century Ernst Stavro Blofeld. This look from Ex Machina just screams modern-day Bond villain.

OscarIsaacExMachina.jpg?itok=H_9tHSyl

Oscar Isaac is an actor I really want to see in a Bond film. That image above makes him look something like a «Blofeld meets Assange» type of character, or something. A techy Blofeld!
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Joaquin phoenix would make a good villain
    Joaquin phoenix would make a good villain

Would imagine he could play a very intense villain. That's always welcome.
    With all the rumours about Benedict Cucumberbitch as the next villain, what do people think of that? I guess it depends on the role.