Which actor would make a good Bond villain?

Comments

• edited December 2017 Posts: 17,279
    bondjames wrote: »
    Kenneth Branagh voices interest. I'm not sure how I feel about that. I thought he was awful in that Jack Ryan remake but he's generally a pretty good actor.

Was that the film where he played a Russian?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Kenneth Branagh voices interest. I'm not sure how I feel about that. I thought he was awful in that Jack Ryan remake but he's generally a pretty good actor.

Yes, that's the one. I was not impressed. I think he directed it too.

Let's hope – if he get the role, that he doesn't portray an Eastern European character!

I often think he's at his best as an actor if he does not direct the movie and vice versa.
  • CigaretteLeiterCigaretteLeiter United States
    Denbigh wrote: »
    After seeing Bright, I definitely think Noomi Rapace could be a Bond villain, I think she could pull that off better than being a Bond girl for sure...

BRIGHT_Unit_04889_R.jpg

The platinum-blonde hair really reminds me of Rika from Kill Chain, and that's something I wouldn't mind an adaptation of.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Denbigh wrote: »
    After seeing Bright, I definitely think Noomi Rapace could be a Bond villain, I think she could pull that off better than being a Bond girl for sure...

BRIGHT_Unit_04889_R.jpg

The platinum-blonde hair really reminds me of Rika from Kill Chain, and that's something I wouldn't mind an adaptation of.
    Hear hear, @CigaretteLeiter!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Satan would make a pretty great villain.
    stock-photo-devil-head-satire-satan-halloween-monster-horns-prince-of-darkness-461659708.jpg
  • OnlyManWhoCanOnlyManWhoCan Greater London
    sally-hawkins.jpg
    This morning I have been thinking about how I'd love to see Sally Hawkins play a Bond Villain. It would be casting against type, but in a good way!

She also played opposite Daniel Craig in Layer Cake but I'd like to see her as the big boss of a sinister organisation!
    Good call :-)
    She could be Irma Bunt.
    I'm actually a little surprised that Malcolm McDowell and Gary Oldman haven't already played Bond villains.

Mark Strong, too. He's been the bad guy in almost everything -- might as well add Bond to the list.
    Escalus5 wrote: »
    I'm actually a little surprised that Malcolm McDowell and Gary Oldman haven't already played Bond villains.

Mark Strong, too. He's been the bad guy in almost everything -- might as well add Bond to the list.

Can't go wrong with these guys!
    Escalus5 wrote: »

About McDowell, it might be a blessing as he often just gets a part for the money. By his own admission. For Mark Strong maybe because he played the bad guy in almost everything he won't play one in Bond. Too obvious I guess.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    I don’t know if I’ve said this, but, Jared Leto.
    Andy Serkis,
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 17,279
    Andy Serkis,

Good mention! Could be an interesting villain.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    edited February 2018 Posts: 4,151
    After seeing Serkis in Black Panther he’d make a great henchman.
    I'd definitely prefer they went with someone who hasn't already played lots of villains. I know Christoph Waltz and Javier Bardem were already strongly associated with villains before they joined the franchise but I don't think they should make a habit of it; otherwise you don't end up with someone special - you end up with 'oh, him being bad again.'
    I'd definitely prefer they went with someone who hasn't already played lots of villains. I know Christoph Waltz and Javier Bardem were already strongly associated with villains before they joined the franchise but I don't think they should make a habit of it; otherwise you don't end up with someone special - you end up with 'oh, him being bad again.'
    Definitely agree here. Bardem was ok because the character (and physical appearance) of Anton Chigurh was quite different to Raoul Silva, and I don't think too many people had seen No Country For Old Men by the time SF came out.

Waltz on the other hand was too predictable, and unquestionably his best performances by far to date have been in the two Tarantino flicks. So audiences inevitably would subconsciously associate his villain with Landa and expect him to be as memorable and iconic, which is an almost impossible task really.

In retrospect, it was a rather idiotic decision that all those people in positions of power should have been able to realize ahead of time. One which I hope they don't make again.
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 252
    Michael C. Hall

imagex.jpg

or Bobby Cannavale

xxx.jpg
    Had to google who Bobby Canavale was and didn't realise he was the step-dad in Ant-Man. He seemed a much softer character in that movie than in the picture you have used, in which he looks as tough as nails!

He has a very 'Blofeld-esque' vibe to his face!
    Good choices,however its hard for me to see Cannavale not being a gangster.

They would make great Spang brothers for B25 !!
    Carnavale was brilliant in Boardwalk Empire. Chilling.

He was also very good in a quite different role in Woody Allen's Blue Jasmine (I highly recommend this film - Blanchett is amazing in it).

He's a very good actor.
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 252
    I know him only from Boardwalk Empire, but his performance was brilliant.

@ OnlyManWhoCan

The pic is from Boardwalk Empire
    Definitely agree here. Bardem was ok because the character (and physical appearance) of Anton Chigurh was quite different to Raoul Silva, and I don't think too many people had seen No Country For Old Men by the time SF came out.

Waltz on the other hand was too predictable, and unquestionably his best performances by far to date have been in the two Tarantino flicks. So audiences inevitably would subconsciously associate his villain with Landa and expect him to be as memorable and iconic, which is an almost impossible task really.

In retrospect, it was a rather idiotic decision that all those people in positions of power should have been able to realize ahead of time. One which I hope they don't make again.

Yet a lot of villains in previous Bond movies were played by actors who were known as playing villains: Joseph Wiseman, Christopher Lee, Louis Jourdan, Robert Carlyle, Sean Bean, to name a few.
    Ludovico wrote: »

Yet a lot of villains in previous Bond movies were played by actors who were known as playing villains: Joseph Wiseman, Christopher Lee, Louis Jourdan, Robert Carlyle, Sean Bean, to name a few.
    That's fine, but I'd contend that they made their Bond performances more iconic than the other ones, at least to me. That wasn't the case with Waltz and that was the fundamental problem. Bardem was 50:50 (I rate Chigurh and Silva equal, and vastly different in style and approach).
    Carnavale was brilliant in Boardwalk Empire. Chilling.

He was also very good in a quite different role in Woody Allen's Blue Jasmine (I highly recommend this film - Blanchett is amazing in it).

He's a very good actor.

Agree. The performance in Boardwalk Empire was very memorable. Could make quite the villain - but should probably portray an American?
    Ludovico wrote: »

That's fine, but I'd contend that they made their Bond performances more iconic than the other ones, at least to me. That wasn't the case with Waltz and that was the fundamental problem. Bardem was 50:50 (I rate Chigurh and Silva equal, and vastly different in style and approach).

I find Chigurh to be a much better role than Silva.
  • Natalie Dormer would play an awesome bond villainess. I can see her making a great Pussy Galore if she ever make a return in an adaptation of Trigger Mortiz.

481112cfa86835e066201aec51db8328.jpg
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited February 2018 Posts: 13,894
    When thinking of possible female villains, one name immediately springs to mind.

3842-53_web.jpg

She would, as the kids say, "slay it" as an intellectual villain. All she needs is her own Hinx.