We need to talk about the spam threads...

Ah, the good ol' spam advertisement threads on MI6C. Our favourites, right? Riiight?

The IFM method of dealing with these is kinda not working.

There must be some way to combat these, prevent them from being posted.

They always get posted about 1:30 AM Eastern time, two at a time. Every night. There's a system to it. Let's figure out a way to stop it.

Just my two cents anyway. It's unfortunate that this has been a problem for so long.

Comments

• edited July 2016 Posts: 1,469
    You're right...I've been flagging several around the same time myself. I asked in my flag posts if the mod can possibly trace a similar email address being used to register, which possibly could be blocked, but I don't know. We need to get Q working on this with his laptop.

What's the IFM method?
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Ignore, Flag and Move on. ) AKA The Ian Fleming Method.
    Ha ha! You're right--it ain't workin'.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited July 2021 Posts: 17,727
    I notice a lot of these new member spammers seem to get banned almost right away so as least that's something that the mods and admins are doing. Our community is rather plagued by these spammers though unfortunately. :(
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Agree, just flag and ignore.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    It's a nightmare for sure, and we bleat on about it backstage all the time.

One of these days admin will press a button somewhere...possibly.
    Agree, just flag and ignore.

Unfortunately that isn't working any more.

I took a hiatus from here for several months, came back in the past couple weeks, and it's only gotten worse.

But, as I said before, they've got a repetitive system for posting. Therefore it can be discerned that there is a way to counterattack it.

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    NicNac wrote: »
    It's a nightmare for sure, and we bleat on about it backstage all the time.

One of these days admin will press a button somewhere...possibly.

This. Flagging still helps, as always. I try and clear out any that appear late at night, as it's typically when they seem to pop up. As a reminder for all of you, also don't forget to search for existing threads before creating a new one.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Don t we have a thread for this? This is spam.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I once almost flagged a post by @Thunderfinger or @Birdleson (I don't remember). I was eating some chips while scrolling down and I was not familiar with the touch pad function of my laptop, and my finger clicked on the flag button. Thankfully I was able to abort before it was too late.
    I once almost flagged a post by @Thunderfinger or @Birdleson (I don't remember). I was eating some chips while scrolling down and I was not familiar with the touch pad function of my laptop, and my finger clicked on the flag button. Thankfully I was able to abort before it was too late.

So that is why the mods beat the crap out of me that day!
  • I once almost flagged a post by @Thunderfinger or @Birdleson (I don't remember). I was eating some chips while scrolling down and I was not familiar with the touch pad function of my laptop, and my finger clicked on the flag button. Thankfully I was able to abort before it was too late.

Yes, thank goodness for that exploder button. ;)
    I once accidentally pressed ctrl space F2. The whole internet was erased. Thankfully I was able to recreate it from memory before anyone noticed.
    As humourous as the jokes are, guys... this is a serious problem. And although the change has been gradual, it has gotten a lot worse. To all of you it may not be noticeable as you've been on here constantly, but I've been away since shortly after SPECTRE came out and I was stunned at how bad this has gotten.
    They are all gone now. Another thing to consider is the mods with the power to erase those threads are probably asleep when the spambot threads appear. So when they get up in the wee hours of the morning they take care of it when they see it.
    Murdock wrote: »
    They are all gone now. Another thing to consider is the mods with the power to erase those threads are probably asleep when the spambot threads appear. So when they get up in the wee hours of the morning they take care of it when they see it.

This. Moderating isn't a 24/7 job. If the worst you have to deal with is looking at a few spam threads that'll inevitably be deleted, I'd say you made out just fine.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    deal_with_it_james_bond.gif
    Creasy47 wrote: »

This. Moderating isn't a 24/7 job. If the worst you have to deal with is looking at a few spam threads that'll inevitably be deleted, I'd say you made out just fine.

Exactly. So the IFM method works wonders to this day but 9 times out of 10 the mods are on a different timezone than the rest of us. We are everywhere after all. :)
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Dealing with the spam is just one of the many things that the Mods do for us to keep this place as happy and friendly as possible I for one would like to offer my thanks to all of them for the good job that they do
    As for me well the first thing I do in the morning when I get here is look to see what if anything needs flagging and having delt with any that do I can then get on with enjoying the other posts
    IFM works well for me.
    One of the first things I do when I get up and have free time - along with one of the last things I try and do before getting some sleep - is check for spam threads and spam/troll members, every day.
    Another thing to consider is the mods with the power to erase those threads are probably asleep when the spambot threads appear.

Hmmm, like Kent and Superman. Never there at the same time.
    Another thing to consider is the mods with the power to erase those threads are probably asleep when the spambot threads appear.

Hmmm, like Kent and Superman. Never there at the same time.

*hopes nobody notices the mods are actually the trolls and spambots...*
    Just wear glasses as always .
  • stagstag In the thick of it!
    Thrasos wrote: »
    You're right...I've been flagging several around the same time myself. I asked in my flag posts if the mod can possibly trace a similar email address being used to register, which possibly could be blocked, but I don't know. We need to get Q working on this with his laptop.

What's the IFM method?

It depends if the registration system here is automatic I suppose. A good manual way of rooting out spammers before they get in is to use a site called 'stop forum spam' - it's free & all you do is enter an IP or email address & it tells you if those details are on their comprehensive database of spammers.

These spammers usually have weird nonsensical usernames, often with an "x" in them or something like "cena" on the end. Tonight's spammers are Rolpihalex, arshxcena and ladsjibond. They've been flagged.

• "Tonight's spammers are Rolpihalex, arshxcena and ladsjibond. Rolpihalex, who comes from Boise, Idaho, mentions he was once stung by a bee in summer camp. Why don't you tell us about that experience, Rolpihalex?"

[Spoken in my best Alex Trebek voice]
    They sure love spewing digital diarrhea. ;)
  • "Only this brand has the strength to relieve bedroom embarrassment all day with just 2 pills. The correct response? What is fierce-male-enhancement. We'll be back with Final Jeopardy after these commercials."
    Ha ha! I'm sure a lot of us already get fierce male enhancement by osmosis from Bond films.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I just want to know what sort of reputation do the members of Mi6 have, to
    Be sent all these ' Performance enhancement" pills ? :))