Metal Gear Solid (1987 - present)

Comments

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Damnit- when does Phantom Pain come out? That was probably like 10% of the package MGS5 is!!

But what we got is fun and looks great!
    I like how Paz pulled an 'Alien 3' at the end, lol

The hint is early 2015, so I'd imagine maybe March of 2015, or maybe April.
    Paz was treated... well, surprisingly. I rescued Chico first, so I don't know if the whole thing with Paz ends differently or not, though I'd imagine not. I didn't expect Paz to have a second bomb in her (Her what, exactly? She says it's in her "..." and then she falls out of the chopper, which makes me think it's in the vagina) so I was really surprised by that ending.

I can't wait to for Phantom Pain so that I can see Skull Face's motivation.
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 4,813
    I didn't expect Paz to have a second bomb in her (Her what, exactly? She says it's in her "..." and then she falls out of the chopper, which makes me think it's in the vagina) so I was really surprised by that ending.
    'The Girl with the Exploding Vagina'. Sounds like a Bond movie, right there. lol
    I was thinking it was in her head, myself. She had that sort of 'lobotomy patient' look about her
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I cant stand Chico. Snake should have choked him to death instead.

Skull Face is to Joker as what BB is to Harvey Dent and BB is going to completely lose it and end SF in the most unceremonious of ways.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    doubleoego wrote:
    I cant stand Chico. Snake should have choked him to death instead.

Skull Face is to Joker as what BB is to Harvey Dent and BB is going to completely lose it and end SF in the most unceremonious of ways.

I'm indifferent to Chico. Honestly he, and most of Peace Walker's supporting cast aside from Kaz, Paz, Huey, Zadornov and Coldman, are pretty forgettable. I'm a little surprised he returned (with a full name, no less).

I can only hope Skull F*ck will be a boss. Maybe not the final boss (my only dream could be Solid Snake, with David Hayter playing him, as the final boss, with a remake of the ending of Metal Gear 1, though you'd have to lose), but hopefully a boss. I'm really interested by his motivations now, when back at PAX 2012, I couldn't really give a sh*t about him. Then came GDC 2013, and I still didn't care much. Now, with the mid-credits dialogue and the post-credits scene, I want to know why the hell he wants Cipher.
  • WillardWhyteWillardWhyte Midnight Society #ProjectMoon
    edited March 2014 Posts: 784
    I was so excited to get home from work today to play the game, but was sadly disappointed. Story was ok, visuals were great, controls felt good. The length didn't even bother me, still cant get past a B ranking...But Keifer Sutherland as Boss ruined it for me. I had played Peace Walker all week long approaching the release to get familiar with all that was going on. Hearing that Big Boss voice by Hayter, that deep voice is instilled in my mind. Playing Peace Walker and Ground Zeroes back to back, there is no flow. I still don't understand the switch from Hayter, but I truly think it hurts the story. Its too bad because Ground Zeroes could have been something special...
    edited March 2014 Posts: 784
    I I'm a little disappointed that the Fulton system from Peace Walker didn't return, but carrying guys to the chopper LZ isn't difficult, especially if you pick a low-risk LZ. I never actually tried to capture a guard... I have something to do next time I play the game.

As was I, but its nice that you can pick up the POW's near Chico. Just like PW.
    If you enjoyed Peace Walker, there's no way you can't enjoy Ground Zeroes

I would have to disagree for my reason stated above, especially when you play them back to back like I did. No flow.

Also I think this game missed a great opportunity for us to join the fight at Mother Base near the end. We could have played during that battle, but we are forced to watch. Could have added some great game play maybe another 10 minutes or so.
    I love Sutherland as BB. It absolutely works for me but I think he's really going to shine in TPP.

SF wanting to take out both BB and zero is definitely very interesting and after hearing all the Chico tapes, SF is definitely a badass, quintessential villain. I also like how his accent seems to shift from time to time but we do know one thing though, he can speak and is likely Hungarian.
    I I'm a little disappointed that the Fulton system from Peace Walker didn't return, but carrying guys to the chopper LZ isn't difficult, especially if you pick a low-risk LZ. I never actually tried to capture a guard... I have something to do next time I play the game.

You can also capture guards. I just found that out. If you toss a guard on the chopper first, it appears as though it stays until you either get on it yourself or put a POW on it.

I would have to disagree for my reason stated above, especially when you play them back to back like I did. No flow.

Also I think this game missed a great opportunity for us to join the fight at Mother Base near the end. We could have played during that battle, but we are forced to watch. Could have added some great game play maybe another 10 minutes or so.

I understand what you mean, but I have to say, there's little flow between any of the games. When you go from MGS1 to MGS2, it works, and when you go from MGS3 to MPO, it kind of works, but go from MPO to Peace Walker, and there's nothing. Go from MGS2 to MGS4, and there's nothing. Go from MGS4 to Rising, and there's really nothing.

The flow problem really results from going from Peace Walker's linearity to Ground Zeroes' semi-open-world. We got so little freedom in Peace Walker to so much in Ground Zeroes that it just seems weird. I simply said that if you enjoyed Peace Walker, you'd enjoy Ground Zeroes, which, I feel, is very true.

And, honestly, I thought for a moment that we would join the fight at Mother Base. There were a couple of moments that it seemed like gameplay would interrupt the cutscene flow, but sadly, it didn't.

You can also capture guards. I just found that out. If you toss a guard on the chopper first, it appears as though it stays until you either get on it yourself or put a POW on it.

I understand what you mean, but I have to say, there's little flow between any of the games. When you go from MGS1 to MGS2, it works, and when you go from MGS3 to MPO, it kind of works, but go from MPO to Peace Walker, and there's nothing. Go from MGS2 to MGS4, and there's nothing. Go from MGS4 to Rising, and there's really nothing.

The flow problem really results from going from Peace Walker's linearity to Ground Zeroes' semi-open-world. We got so little freedom in Peace Walker to so much in Ground Zeroes that it just seems weird. I simply said that if you enjoyed Peace Walker, you'd enjoy Ground Zeroes, which, I feel, is very true.

And, honestly, I thought for a moment that we would join the fight at Mother Base. There were a couple of moments that it seemed like gameplay would interrupt the cutscene flow, but sadly, it didn't.

That's not what I mean about flow. What I was referring to was: playing PW all of last week in preparation, and hearing that final speech from Big Boss to those at Mother Base, talking about who they and what they fight for, and at the end of that speech he says...call me Big Boss. Ok now, you play GZ and the first time you hear Boss talk, I was literally dumbfounded as I tried to enjoy it. I looked at my brother who was watching while I played, and be both said almost simultaneously that sounds pathetic. In the mean time Kaz, Chico, Paz, Huey all stay the same, and sounded great. I have always been a fan of Keifer Sutherland, but man did they miss the ball on this voice casting. The problem for many is when he talks..guess who they hear?? Not Big Boss...Jack Bauer. Sutherland isnt deep enough to have such an impact as Hayter. To me that is a shame, and there is no reason Boss could have been voiced by Hayter. Now I understand all the interviews with Hayter as he talked about not getting the call to voice the character and his shock and thanks to all the fans who have supported him over the years....It should have been a no brainier at Kojima Productions when casting was being made. I simply do not get it. Other than it not flowing in that respect, the game is great and will involve many plays as I try to get the S for all missions.
    I see, you meant vocal flow. I thought you were talking about series flow. Honestly, I was surprised at how I actually forgot that it was Kiefer Sutherland playing Big Boss until the moment Paz was being operated on.
    I have been playing the game everyday since it came out, and I am still working for S Ranks. I currently have 5/6 missions completed on S rank (including Deja Vuh). This is a tough game and I love the challenge. I haven't played a game this challenging in awhile, and this is just a piece of what Phantom Pain will be, so that's is awesome. Had some fun with the Deja Vuh, besides Sutherland's voice. And I am really glad he barely speaks in any of the Extra Ops missions, which takes my frustration away alittle bit. I gotta get through the extra op mission where you destroy the anti air units, I completed it earlier, but got one alert right at the end when I shot the armored vehicle, so that pissed me off. But I will get. How is everyone else enjoying the overall package?
    I was over at a friend's the other day and played the Jamaias Vu mission, and... dear God.

First of all, Raiden never speaks. When he's attacked, his pain grunts are reused from Big Boss, so he's technically "voiced" by Kiefer Sutherland as well. The mission itself is just an action mission masquerading as a stealth mission (unlike the "destroy all anti-air emplacements" mission, which is a stealth mission masquerading as an action mission), and is just not as much fun as the Deja Vu mission, which is one giant homage to MGS1. I'm extremely disappointed with it, and should it ever come to the PS3/PS4 versions as a DLC, I'll probably not download it.

The mission retains certain things from the Deja Vu mission, like the game logos and the special rifle that erases them (minus, I noticed, MGS2 and MGS4, the two games that heavily featured Raiden other than Rising, which doesn't have a logo in the game at all). There are very few enemies around, like the Deja Vu mission, and the mission starts in the exact same place. The mission, overall, is easier than the Deja Vu mission, which was already pretty damn easy to begin with.

So there's my two cents on Raiden's Jamaias Vu mission. It was, in the end, pretty uninteresting.
    I find it funny gamers will piss and moan about DLC, Micro transactions, EAs policy about online game codes if you buy a game used. But they'll pay $30 for a demo. smh
    YELARAKA wrote:
    I find it funny gamers will piss and moan about DLC, Micro transactions, EAs policy about online game codes if you buy a game used. But they'll pay $30 for a demo. smh

I, for one, have never bitched about DLC (unless it's something like $40 for a map pack, or something), I understand certain types of microtransactions (freeplay games with bonus stuff that you may want but don't need, etc), and I don't understand online game codes in the least (why should you have to pay extra to play your game? That's just wrong, used or not, EA gets their money no matter what).

I don't see Ground Zeroes as a demo. Name me the last time a demo took two hours to play that wasn't a multiplayer beta. I can't think of a damn one. Plus, there's plenty of incentive to replay the game.

Ground Zeroes is no demo. It is a portion of a game released early to compensate for the fact that the whole game isn't finished yet. We've still got at least a year left before The Phantom Pain came out, and the game began work in 2009, just before Peace Walker was finished.

And, y'know what, about the game's length. People pay $60 a year for COD, two-three hour campaign at max, and multiplayer doesn't justify the rest of the price. I paid $20 for Blood Stone, five hours total. This isn't the good old days of the PS2 era when games were 100% worth their price. Most of the time, games aren't even worth 50% of their price. This game was half price, and damn worth it.
    Wanted to show off my Metal Gear collection (a work in progress)
    Ikea finally got those cool glass cabinets back in stock, so now I can have a shelf just for MGS!
    I already have a box of Calorie Mate ordered from Japan just to go in there, lol

10175959_10100370564053841_4589630751401922830_n.jpg
    That's a cool collection. My MGS collection is pretty extensive but they're all in a huge box. I need to find the space and the time to display my treasure.

As for GZ, the game is in no way a demo! If you okay a MG game the way it's meant to be payed, stealthily, you're going to spend more time than you want to playing it. I got my s-rank but I want to get an s-rank whilst doing a ghost play through, which means, no interaction with the enemy AI at all. No HUD, no weapons, no tranqs, no alerts, no nothing and obviously on the hard setting...it's a freakin' bitch at times to do this seamlessly with perfection. People who call this a demo don't know what they're talking about.
    My collection is just the games, the MGS1 graphic novel, and the two Benson novelizations. I restrict myself to games and supplementary books only, I know I'll spend way more than I have if I get into all those action figures.
    edited April 2014 Posts: 7,854
    It was bound to happen: the console exclusive "Deja Vu" and "Jamaias Vu" missions are heading to the opposite consoles soon.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/04/24/mgs-ground-zeroes-platform-exclusive-dlc-coming-to-all

PS3/4 owners will be treated with the "Jamaias Vu" mission, while Xbox 360 owners will be rewarded with the far superior "Deja Vu" mission. Xbox One owners are in the dark so far, because, apparently, the X1 has yet to be released in Japan.

The free DLC happens in May in Japan, and likely here in the West as well.
    Couldn't care less about those missions. I was disappointed when I played the Deja Vu mission, because it wasn't interesting. And to top it off Sutherland sounded awful.......

And quite honestly I don't really care to play as Raiden, but that is just me.

Actually I haven't played the game in like 4 weeks. I might try it out again this weekend.
    edited April 2014 Posts: 7,854
    Couldn't care less about those missions. I was disappointed when I played the Deja Vu mission, because it wasn't interesting. And to top it off Sutherland sounded awful.......

And quite honestly I don't really care to play as Raiden, but that is just me.

Be warned: the Deja Vu mission was far superior to the Jamaias Vu mission. (And, for some reason, despite being a more action-oriented mission, has fewer guards.)

EDIT: I meant to post this the other day, but my computer f*cked me over and shut itself off before I could, here's a little something I found on YouTube, courtesy of thesnakesoup.org, a trailer for MGS1 done in the style of one of the MGS5 trailers (the Redband trailer, just without the gameplay in the middle):

EDIT 2: Thursday May 1st, PS3/4 owners get the Jamais Vu mission, and X360/1 owners get the Deja Vu mission.
    YES!!

Original MSX Metal Gear Remake Gets The Okay From Konami

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2014/05/30/original-metal-gear-remake-gets-okay-konami

We're also getting a new MGS5 trailer in less than two weeks- and Kojima says it 'will be difficult to watch'
    http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/05/27/new-mgs-5-trailer-may-be-tough-to-watch-kojima-says

My guess is it will show hints of Big Boss changing sides
    Sonuvabitch, it probably means that I won't be able to play it! Why can't we get a f*cking console MG1 remake?

I can't wait for the new MGSV trailer, however.

Excellent find, that is probably the best fan made trailer I have ever seen. Hard to imagine how long its been since the release, and it is still one of the best games of all time. Regardless of graphics..I wish more people could appreciate that fact.

Excellent find, that is probably the best fan made trailer I have ever seen. Hard to imagine how long its been since the release, and it is still one of the best games of all time. Regardless of graphics..I wish more people could appreciate that fact.

I have MGS as the third best game ever made. Lifechanging for me as a gamer.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Here's something you lot may enjoy: the 'Metal Gear Solid' movie has found a director:

http://bit.ly/1p5v5OC
    WHO ARE THE PATRIOTS??

Too bad I can't wear it in public without everyone asking what the hell it means, lol

10150708_10100406006077741_5461271458674408958_n.jpg

Pretty nice! I am hoping for a PC release. That would be great to push the graphics alittle farther.
    Holy christ this game is going to be huge!! Look at this map- the little red spot on the far right is GROUND ZEROES :O

qn0rzw86fmim5vb4wytq.png
    This game is going to be f*cking awesome.
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 4,813
    Oh my god I just finished the night shift but I can't sleep because I HAVE SEEN THIS TRAILER AND AM SO EXCITED

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1yxf6k_metal-gear-solid-v-the-phantom-pain-e3-2014-trailer_videogames

Ok:

* Whose ashes were they?
    * Why was Big Boss with
    Skullface
    at the end?
    * Who else jumped when it showed the closeup of Big Boss with the ashes on his face and it quickly cut to him with the blood and fire? Be honest, lol
    * Who else is going to be humming that awesome song the rest of the day???

ajizltzrlt6knsldd3ya.gif