You're in charge of EON. First things you do?

Comments

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited August 2016 Posts: 9,117
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    1. Hire a hitman and sign a legally binding contract that if you hire P&W again he is to blow your head off at point blank range with an elephant gun.
    2. Add a clause to said contract that the same punishment applies if you re-hire any of Thomas Newman, John Logan or Sam Mendes.
    3. Add another clause that the same applies if you let the director piss around with the GB again.
    4. Add another clause that the same applies if you let the DB5 appear ever again.

All good enough clauses there but a hit man contract is a void contract through being illegal. In other words it was never a contract to begin with. :D

The contract is useless too, since the thread title is 'You're in charge of EON.', so @Wiz is basically hiring a hit man to kill himself if he were to do break his own contract. ;)

Thats kind of my point. After being unable to quit the P&W habit for nearly 20 years now EON need the threat of Leon standing over them with a loaded gun as an incentive not to pick up the phone for B25.

And if I was in charge myself, for the good of the series, I would want to be shot in the face rather than hire these mugs again.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    edited August 2016 Posts: 3,157
    1. Hire a hitman and sign a legally binding contract that if you hire P&W again he is to blow your head off at point blank range with an elephant gun.
    2. Add a clause to said contract that the same punishment applies if you re-hire any of Thomas Newman, John Logan or Sam Mendes.
    3. Add another clause that the same applies if you let the director piss around with the GB again.
    4. Add another clause that the same applies if you let the DB5 appear ever again.
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    The repeal of the expression "00 programme".

Agreed with both.

I would avoid any childhood acquaintance between Bond and the villain.
    In terms of TV, I'd start with a Bond series. Completely separate from the films (which would remain in modern times), the show would faithfully adapt the Fleming novels.

The films I'd want out more frequently. I'd strip the budget back.

The TV series sounds good, and I think they could even begin with a series of Bond before he became a 00.

I think lower budget movies is the way to go. Keep them under 2 hours, cut down the number of action set pieces, more time for character development and some espionage.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    If I were in charge of Eon....well, here goes....

Sayonara Mendes, P&W, Newman and, although it pains me to say it, Craig.

For Craig's replacement, I would cast somebody unknown as none of the mainstream actors that have been touted to play Bond next tickle my fancy. It worked for Craig, and so I'm hoping that lightening strikes twice.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    A homeless person would do.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Or a drifter.
  • Find the next Kevin Feige. Hire him. Put him in charge of day-to-day matters so you can do your non-007 art films.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Find the next Kevin Feige. Hire him. Put him in charge of day-to-day matters so you can do your non-007 art films.

Nice, that would be a great move.

If I was in charge I'd do away with the Bond 25 title heads and have a proper title and story already in place by the end of each Bond production and use it as a signing off tag in place of the dreary James Bond Will Return tags. In fact, I'd go so far as to have 7 fully written stories with usable titles that can be used without the typical floundering and last minute changes. Have a clear direction that's already defined, just like Eon had when they could use Fleming's stories and titles. Each story could then be adapted in the same way as the original Fleming books were. This way the title is already out there in the public domain and is already being talked about. The actual stories can remain under lock and key, but the titles can be registered and made public if they so wish. These stories would be 007 on a mission, all standalone, no noticeable arc, no "this time it's personal" nonsense, each could be shuffled around at will due to unforeseen logistical problems. In other words, each story is self contained.

Then also I'd look at getting these movies turned around on a 2 year cycle whilst making the most of the aging actor in the lead role. Then I'd have the same director ready to direct at least the first three movies.
    It's hard to believe that they conclude a Bond story without any idea of where it will lead next time.

Of course returning to stand alone movies would remove a lot of those problems.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    bondsum wrote: »
    If I was in charge I'd do away with the Bond 25 title heads and have a proper title and story already in place by the end of each Bond production and use it as a signing off tag in place of the dreary James Bond Will Return tags. In fact, I'd go so far as to have 7 fully written stories with usable titles that can be used without the typical floundering and last minute changes. Have a clear direction that's already defined, just like Eon had when they could use Fleming's stories and titles. Each story could then be adapted in the same way as the original Fleming books were. This way the title is already out there in the public domain and is already being talked about. The actual stories can remain under lock and key, but the titles can be registered and made public if they so wish. These stories would be 007 on a mission, all standalone, no noticeable arc, no "this time it's personal" nonsense, each could be shuffled around at will due to unforeseen logistical problems. In other words, each story is self contained.

Then also I'd look at getting these movies turned around on a 2 year cycle whilst making the most of the aging actor in the lead role. Then I'd have the same director ready to direct at least the first three movies.

That's some good thinking.

That's some good thinking.

It's good thinking. It's clear thinking. Why isn't this obvious to EON?
  • RC7RC7
    edited August 2016 Posts: 10,512
    They will never, ever prep seven films in advance. Despite the fact it would cost a small fortune to hire the necessary talent, there's no logical reason. It smacks of a fan wankery. An enormous amount of work just to tease a title. The title announcement has become an event in itself, it whips up a media storm. Why you would abandon that, while simultaneously writing yourself into a corner I've no idea.

Writers, directors and producers tire of stories, the longer you slave over a piece, the more you tinker and the more you lose focus. Most accept that, in a sense, it's never finished. This is why deadlines are crucial. You just have to have a cut off point after which it's in the public domain. The focus should be on one film at a time; everyone's energy channeled in a very specific direction. Once you gauge the reception you can retool effectively for film two.

What I feel they do need to do is act as showrunners again, where the directors are hired under the proviso that they work within the EON framework. They can't give a writer or director carte blanche.

When they recast they need to determine exactly who this Bond is, what sets him apart from the previous incarnations and how they move forward tonally. They can have an eye on the future, but this shouldn't be a specific roadmap. I would encourage a level of character development that is pre-determined but can be amended as they move forward. The film's themselves, though, should have standalone narratives.

Hire Sir Christopher Nolan.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service

You do know what public domain means, right?
  • ChriscoopChriscoop North Yorkshire
    Hire David Arnold and Martin Campbell and reboot again to get rid of the whole bond Blofeld brother legacy, by Blofeld being killed off.
    Set a top budget of 200,000.
    Retire the db5 for good.
    Have more emphasis on bonds current personality and lifestyle.
    Keep interaction with M and mp and q to London at hq.
    Thats just for starters.
    Chriscoop wrote: »
    Set a top budget of 200,000.

I'll be the first to admit that SP shamelessly spunked money down the bog but this seems like going a bit too far in the other direction.

Austerity Bond going to be grim viewing. Out with the bespoke Astons and in with the second hand Robin Reliants, locations of Skeggie and Cleethorpes, tribute act 'Surely Bassey?' for the title song and no more Oscar winning actors for the villain with legendary Corrie bad guy Brian Capron getting the gig.

Pretty sure Partridge states in KMKY that the budget for the Xmas special was 250k and that's 20 years ago. A sad day indeed when Tony Hayers is signing off on bigger budgets than EON!
  • ChriscoopChriscoop North Yorkshire
    :)>- I meant two hundred million! Sodding predictive text it's awful!!
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    I would try to start looking at ways to buy back MGM part of Bond ...or at least try to start partnering with studios outside MGM's efforts for new distributor.

Then long range plan for maybe Netflix or premium cable.

For B25 trim my budget expectations to make desirable for a potential partner before Bond dies under his weight.

Consider new talent that has similar genre experience.

Think outside box.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Lay out a plan for the next 3 movies with releases in two year steps.
    Fire EVERYBODY that has been involved in the Craig era, except the Scooby Gang (M, MP, Tanner, Q).
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Fire EVERYBODY that has been involved in the Craig era, except the Scooby Gang (M, MP, Tanner, Q).

Yay! @bondjasonbond006 ...stop hiding. Lol
    edited August 2016 Posts: 9,117
    Fire EVERYBODY that has been involved in the Craig era, except the Scooby Gang (M, MP, Tanner, Q) and Daniel Kleinmann.

Fixed.
    edited August 2016 Posts: 9,020
    Fire EVERYBODY that has been involved in the Craig era, except the Scooby Gang (M, MP, Tanner, Q) and Daniel Kleinmann.

Fixed.

I apologise herewith to Daniel Kleinman. A grave oversight on my part. He is a genius.

Thanks @TheWizardOfIce

Fixed.

I apologise herewith to Daniel Kleinman. A grave oversight on my part. He is a genius.

Thanks @TheWizardOfIce

Well I was more aghast at not sacking Rory Kinnear to be honest.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited October 2016 Posts: 4,447
    error..
    Lay out a long term plan for at least 3 movies with the same actor within 6 calendar years. Re-hire Whishaw, Kinnear, Fiennes and Harris.

Have a court order against P+W+L and Newman not to be allowed anywhere near a Bond production.

Try to get Martin Campbell. If that doesn't work, get Baird or someone of his caliber that actually knows how to direct action and actors.

Try to get David Arnold for the score. If that doesn't work, get Alexandre Desplat who certainly would be willing to do it.
    Top three for me:

1. Find a good script writer.
    2. Find a good script writer.
    3. Find a good script writer.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Commission a period TV series adapting the Fleming novels faithfully.

Get Christopher Nolan on board to co-write and direct Bond 25, with Craig as Bond.

Commission an action figure company to do a range of action figures from the Bond films. Detailed figures but affordable.
    20 years ago, the TV series idea , with respect, would have been a joke. But with the rise of streaming services and the much larger budgets, production values etc, it is worth at least considering. One issue is that all the big hits (boxed sets) have involved, long term, connected plot lines rather than seperate stories. So they would need to consider that plus the pacing of these successful TV series is very cleverly done and very different from the traditional movie. Transposing Bond into that format would be a real challenge.
  • edited October 2016 Posts: 4,325
    I have often thought it would be great to do faithful period TV adaptations of the Bond novels alongside the main film series and radio adaptations that the BBC does.