What, Exactly, Is a Car Chase?

Comments

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    w2bond wrote: »
    A car chase is -

"An activity whereby two or more predominantly road-going vehicles with at least two wheels are chasing each other and/or partaking in a race"

So the tuk-tuk chase is a car chase then?
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    w2bond wrote: »
    A car chase is -

"An activity whereby two or more predominantly road-going vehicles with at least two wheels are chasing each other and/or partaking in a race"

So the tuk-tuk chase is a car chase then?
    By the generic sequence naming standards, I guess it is... Somehow...
    I KNEW I could rely on all of you to beat this issue to death, just the way I had hoped =))

From everything I'm reading, it seems like the easiest solution here is to call a "car chase" any chase that only involves cars. Other than that it's a "vehicle chase." Does that seem fair?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited June 2016 Posts: 23,883
    I KNEW I could rely on all of you to beat this issue to death, just the way I had hoped =))

From everything I'm reading, it seems like the easiest solution here is to call a "car chase" any chase that only involves cars. Other than that it's a "vehicle chase." Does that seem fair?
    I'm glad that we finally seem to have an answer on this seemingly 'complex' question that has been discussed over the past 3 pages. Much ado about nothing? I'm reminded of Costanza & Jerry Seinfeld at the moment.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    edited June 2016 Posts: 7,571
    We should have a separate category to find our favourite non-car chase/pursuit.

It can include the tank, the double decker bus, the petrol trucks (LTK) , the motor bikes etc. Anything that doesn't fit in to the car chase scenario.

Just don't expect me to set it up.
    NicNac wrote: »
    We should have a separate category to find our favourite non-car chase/pursuit.

It can include the tank, the double decker bus, the petrol trucks (LTK) , the motor bikes etc. Anything that doesn't fit in to the car chase scenario.

Just don't expect me to set it up.

I like the way you're thinking, @NicNac. I'm very tempted to do exactly that and start up such a thread, but I think I'd be too embarrassed, since it would actually be an even dumber thread than this one!

Incidentally, my vote would go to the tanker chase in LTK.

• edited June 2016 Posts: 1,469
    ...and the ski chase in For Your Eyes Only, which involves motorbikes and a bobsled, not to mention the one in On Her Majesty's Secret Service.

I don't think a man like Bond would be worried about being too exact with this kind of thing...if it was hard to categorize, he would probably just call it a chase and be happy to move on to a vodka martini, card game and a brunette, not necessarily in that order.

So are we happy to agree that to be a genuine car chase it must be cars chasing cars?

So where does that leave the TSWLM?

Bike then car then chopper chasing a car. Is that a 'vehicle chase' or a partial car chase?

It seems to me that we're on very dubious legal territory labelling it either.

• mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    bondjames wrote: »

I'm glad that we finally seem to have an answer on this seemingly 'complex' question that has been discussed over the past 3 pages. Much ado about nothing? I'm reminded of Costanza & Jerry Seinfeld at the moment.

That's funny. For some magical reason I woke up early at 4a on Saturday and watched Seinfeld. Brought back many great 90s memories.

Coffee, grunge, flannel, great music, graduate school, and poverty.

So are we happy to agree that to be a genuine car chase it must be cars chasing cars?

Bike then car then chopper chasing a car. Is that a 'vehicle chase' or a partial car chase?

=)) Lord, I love this! Maybe a "car chase" has to be only cars chasing cars. Otherwise it's a vehicle chase. Although I'd be hard pressed to deny that the middle section of the TSWLM chase is a car chase. But the whole setpiece is just a vehicle chase. Wow, I just typed the word "chase" a lot. Haha.
  • edited June 2016 Posts: 1,469

I'd call it a car chase, most simply because Bond is in a car. In FYEO, the chase involves motorbikes (and a bobsled), but Bond is on skis, plus he's being chased by Erich Kriegler on skis, so I call that a ski chase.
    Yes, we should define it by the vehicle Bond is driving/controlling/piloting etc. If he is in a car it's a car chase.

Now I await the inevitable fly in the ointment....
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Yes, we should define it by the vehicle Bond is driving/controlling/piloting etc. If he is in a car it's a car chase.

So the train chase in OP is a car chase, because Bond is mostly on cars during this sequence, and never actually controls the train. :D

So the train chase in OP is a car chase, because Bond is mostly on cars during this sequence, and never actually controls the train. :D

Perhaps we should amend DaltonCraig007's definition to say that it's a car chase if Bond is being pursued while he's driving a car?

Perhaps we should amend DaltonCraig007's definition to say that it's a car chase if Bond is being pursued while he's driving a car?

So if Bond is doing the pursuing its not a car chase?

What sounded very simple is getting more complicated by the day.

Let's take two very similar chases: AVTAK taxi and GE tank.

In both Bond commandeers a vehicle to follow someone and causes damage and destruction to a city centre.

Now my gut instinct is to say that AVTAK is certainly a car chase. The action is focussed almost entirely on the car, Bond is in the car and it is chasing someone.

GE on the other hand does feature a car being chased and Bond himself is chased by cars but it focusses on Bond smashing up the city with the tank and you would be inclined to call it a tank chase.

So what is the difference between the two? Only that Bond is in a tank not a car. So is it largely irrelevant who is chasing who - the whole thing boils down to what vehicle Bond is in?

This thread looked a bit meh to start with, but it's rapidly turning into the most entertaining one on here.

So, we agree that as long as there is a 'chase' element then it qualifies as a car chase or something other than a car chase.

Then we have to break down what is and isn't a 'car' chase. Most are straight forward, others have grey areas.

Maybe its a car chase ONLY if it's a car chasing a car, or for at least part of the sequence (eg in TSWLM, the chase involved a car pursuing Bond's car for part of it).

Any situation where one of the vehicles or participating 'things' isn't a car eg AVTAK has a paraglider, then it's a Bond chase, but not a car chase.

In CR we have a foot chase, so it qualifies as a chase but in the same category as the bus chase, fire engine chase, tank chase, tanker chase etc.

I think.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited June 2016 Posts: 15,692
    Does the scene in LALD where Bond's chauffeur is killed and Bond takes control of car to avoid crashing into things qualify as a car chase? Bond is in a car, controls it and goes very fast, but he no one is chasing him and he chases no one. Is it a car 'race' then? But Bond is trying to stop the car, so can we even call it that?
    @DaltonCraig007: I think the LALD out-of-control car scene was covered. I don't think it's a chase since no one is being pursued.

@NicNac: I started this thread because, as a Bond fanatic, I know precisely the kinds of semantics I love arguing about, and therefore I knew this would become fun :) You are right that a car needs to be at least halfway involved in the scene, but even that gets tricky.

@TheWizardOfIce: Your comparison between AVTAK and GE is very revealing. It makes me think that, at the very least, Bond has to be driving a car for it to be a car chase. If he is driving (for example) a bus and being pursued by cars, like LALD, I still don't think it counts. And yes, I would agree that the Paris setpiece in AVTAK is a car chase, and Bond is the only one on land, let alone in a car!
    edited June 2016 Posts: 9,117
    Does the scene in LALD where Bond's chauffeur is killed and Bond takes control of car to avoid crashing into things qualify as a car chase? Bond is in a car, controls it and goes very fast, but he no one is chasing him and he chases no one. Is it a car 'race' then? But Bond is trying to stop the car, so can we even call it that?

It's a 'car based action sequence'.

Time to go through my list of chases involving cars again for a reclassification:

DN - Hearse chasing car. Wizard's definitive verdict: Car chase

FRWL - Helicopter chasing truck. Verdict: Vehicular chase.

GF - DB5 chasing Triumph. Verdict: Car chase (not a flirtatious race as Bond is trying to bring to book the person who had a shot at him on the mountain).

Mercs chasing DB5. Verdict: Car chase.

TB - Bike chasing DB5. Verdict: Vehicular chase.

YOLT - Cars (was it a Merc?) chasing Toytoa but then chased by a helicopter. Verdict: Car chase which becomes vehicular chase.

OHMSS - DBS chasing Cougar. Verdict: Bond is not seriously trying to catch Tracy so this would be classed as a car race.

Merc chasing Cougar. Verdict: Car chase.

DAF - Quad bikes chasing Moonbuggy: Vehicular chase.

Police chasing Mustang. Verdict: Car chase.

LALD - Bond's car out of control. Verdict: Car based action sequence.

Bikes chasing bus. Verdict: Vehicular chase.

Cars chasing plane. Verdict: Vehicular chase.

Police chasing boat. Verdict: Vehicular chase.

TMWTGG - Hornet chasing Matador. Verdict: Car chase.

TSWLM - Bike, Cortina and chopper chasing Esprit. Verdict: Vehicular chase (incorporating car chase).

MR - Manuela chasing Bond's Rolls. Verdict: Car race.

FYEO - Peugeots chasing 2CV. Verdict: Car chase.

OP - Army jeeps chasing Range Rover and horsebox. Verdict: car chase which then becomes a vehicular action sequence (note not a vehicular chase as only a missile which is an inanimate object chases the plane).

Tuktuk chasing Tuktuk. Verdict: These aren't cars really are they? Vehicular chase.

Merc chasing train. Verdict: Vehicular chase.

Orlov (in a Zil or somethings similar) chasing Merc. Verdict: Car chase.
    (There is a grey area here though as Orlov is chasing Bond who is chasing the train. So if you call it all one chase it's a vehicular chase.)

AVTAK - Renault chasing parachute. Verdict: Vehicular chase if a parachute is classed as a vehicle. Car based action sequence if not.

Police chasing fire engine. Verdict: Vehicular chase.

TLD - Land Rover fight. Verdict: Car based action sequence.

Police chasing Volante. Verdict: Car chase which changes into vehicular chase when the police take to some sort of snow mobiles.

Land Rover with gun chasing Land Rover which is chasing C130. Verdict: See OP above Orlov chasing Merc chasing train.

LTK - Tankers and cars chasing each other with a plane also in the mix. Verdict: Vehicular chase.

GE - DB5 chasing Ferrari. Verdict: Car race.

Tank chasing car. Verdict: Vehicular chase.

Plane chasing Z3. Verdict: Vehicular race.

TND - Goons attacking 750iL which is then chased by a car. Verdict: Car based action sequence which becomes a car chase.

Range Rovers and helicopter chasing bike. Verdict: Vehicular chase.

TWINE - Helicopters attacking Z8. Verdict: Vehicular action sequence.

DAD - Jag chasing Vanquish. Verdict: Car chase.

CR - Ford driving along. Verdict: Shameful product placement.

DB5 driving along. Verdict: Annoying homage to the past.

DBS chasing Le Chiffre. Verdict: Car chase.

QOS - Alfas chasing DBS. Verdict: Car chase.

Bike chasing Ford. Verdict: Shameful product placement.

SF - Land Rover chasing Audi. Verdict: Car chase.

Land Rover chasing bikes then train. Verdict: Vehicular action sequence.

DB5 driving past Canary Wharf. Verdict: Pathetic homage and nonsensical continuity with CR.

DB5 shooting goons. Verdict: Pathetic homage car based action sequence.

SP - Jag chasing DB10. Verdict: Car chase.

Plane chasing Audi. Verdict: Vehicular action sequence.

DB5 drving off. Verdict: The reason Mendes shouldn't direct another Bond film. Pathetic homage turned up to 11.

Time to go through my list of chases involving cars again for a reclassification:

GF - DB5 chasing Triumph. Verdict: Car chase (not a flirtatious race as Bond is trying to bring to book the person who had a shot at him on the mountain).

YOLT - Cars (was it a Merc?) chasing Toytoa but then chased by a helicopter. Verdict: Car chase which becomes vehicular chase.

OHMSS - DBS chasing Cougar. Verdict: Bond is not seriously trying to catch Tracy so this would be classed as a car race.

TSWLM - Bike, Cortina and chopper chasing Esprit. Verdict: Vehicular chase (incorporating car chase).

OP - Army jeeps chasing Range Rover and horsebox. Verdict: car chase which then becomes a vehicular action sequence (note not a vehicular chase as only a missile which is an inanimate object chases the plane).

Tuktuk chasing Tuktuk. Verdict: These aren't cars really are they? Vehicular chase.

(There is a grey area here though as Orlov is chasing Bond who is chasing the train. So if you call it all one chase it's a vehicular chase.)

AVTAK - Renault chasing parachute. Verdict: Vehicular chase if a parachute is classed as a vehicle. Car based action sequence if not.

Police chasing Volante. Verdict: Car chase which changes into vehicular chase when the police take to some sort of snow mobiles.

Land Rover with gun chasing Land Rover which is chasing C130. Verdict: See OP above Orlov chasing Merc chasing train.

LTK - Tankers and cars chasing each other with a plane also in the mix. Verdict: Vehicular chase.

TND - Goons attacking 750iL which is then chased by a car. Verdict: Car based action sequence which becomes a car chase.

DB5 driving past Canary Wharf. Verdict: Pathetic homage and nonsensical continuity with CR.

DB5 drving off. Verdict: The reason Mendes shouldn't direct another Bond film. Pathetic homage turned up to 11.

So what is the case where Bond on foot chases Locke's car? A foot chase or a car chase on foot?

I have a headache.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Great and exhaustive list @ThWizardOfIce

BTW the bike that Fiona used is a BSA Lighting. Just being particularly anal and semantic-y...
    mcdonbb wrote: »

So what is the case where Bond on foot chases Locke's car? A foot chase or a car chase on foot?

I have a headache.

Hmm. That could be a vehicular chase or a car based action sequence. That is quite a tricky one.

We also have the dune buggies with Bond on foot which would come under the same category.
    mcdonbb wrote: »

I have a headache.

Hmm. That could be a vehicular chase or a car based action sequence. That is quite a tricky one.

We also have the dune buggies with Bond on foot which would come under the same category.

True. I forgot about that one.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    edited June 2016 Posts: 7,988
    You guys are making this way too simple. Chasing can also mean 'moving fast' according to this dictionary:
    http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/chase

And OHMSS, where Bond follows/chases Tracy... I'm not quite sure he isn't chasing her, he's just waiting for the right moment. In the end, after all, he does run after her to catch her. If that was the plan all along, it IS a car chase.

But I do agree that a car chase only consists of cars (chased by) cars. No tanks or planes. BUT, when there's a car chasing a car, and planes join the chase (i.e.) it's still a car chase.
  • KaijuDirectorOO7KaijuDirectorOO7 Once Upon a Time Somewhere...
    Easy. This.

edited June 2016 Posts: 7,571
    So, the ski-ing is out altogether is it? It has to be motorised vehicles: although the paraglidy-things in TWINE were motorised and Bond was on skis...

Bloody impressive WizList is that.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Depends on if there's still two other cars chasing eachother, but on the whole, I'd call it a ski-chase.
    The paragliders are motorised vehicles for sure, they also worked without their parashute, but they're no cars for sure. Not usre if a vehicle chase is appropriate, as they weren't chasing another vehicle. Still, there were quite a few (3?) of them, which somehow does make it a vehicle chase I think.
    Another question just occurred to me: does the speed of the cars count? If Bond is tailing someone in a car (let's say when he has the taxi driver tail Whisper's "pimp-mobile" in LALD), is that a car chase? It is technically one car chasing another, but I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a lot of people who would call it a car chase.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    If I may politely suggest something. This highly amusing and informative thread appears to be the definition of chasing one's tail. ;)
    bondjames wrote: »
    If I may politely suggest something. This highly amusing and informative thread appears to be the definition of chasing one's tail. ;)

You're not wrong, bondjames!

:D