What, Exactly, Is a Car Chase?

Comments

• BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    A car chase is what is going to happen when I try to escape jury duty today. :))
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    A car chase is a chase that involves cars.
    The stunt is supposed to be the chase's defining moment and it is, but I think it's near-unanimous that it was ruined by some very poor sound choices...

My wife recently pointed out that I have a bad habit of including a negative comment whenever I give a positive one, so I've been trying to work on that. A week ago, I would have mentioned that godawful slide whistle and how it sullies the moment. But I was trying to stay positive :)

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    mcdonbb wrote: »

Even simpler than my definition!

Yes, but does it have to involve ONLY cars? That's my quandary :-/
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns

At least one car in the chase, methinks, would solve the problem.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com

Well, you can all it a truck chase or something else.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."

So the tanker chase in LTK is a car chase? :D

Generally speaking, yes. :D

:)) This is exactly what I'm talking about! These are the kinds of semantics my brother and I get into and go around and around. Granted, I'm an English teacher and therefore love semantics, but it can still drive me crazy sometimes! I really don't know why I care so much, but what can I say, I'm a nerd.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited June 2016 Posts: 15,692

Similarly, the boat chase in TWINE is a car chase too then, since there are police cars at one point? :D

Similarly, the boat chase in TWINE is a car chase too then, since there are police cars at one point? :D
    But, they weren't the primary focus, were they? :D
    What exactly is a car chase? I think it involves a car.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    TripAces wrote: »
    Did we miss TMWTGG?

Funny, TheWizardOfIce did leave it out of his list, but I quite like that chase, and it's even one of the ones I mention in my original post as a "traditional" car chase in the Bond canon.

Apologies. It was in my list (Hornet v Matador) but for some inexplicable reason I listed it as being in YOLT?

Incredible - The Wizard makes a mistake! Remember this day people so you can tell your grandchildren you were there.
    TripAces wrote: »
    Did we miss TMWTGG?

Funny, TheWizardOfIce did leave it out of his list, but I quite like that chase, and it's even one of the ones I mention in my original post as a "traditional" car chase in the Bond canon.

Apologies. It was in my list (Hornet v Matador) but for some inexplicable reason I listed it as being in YOLT?

Incredible - The Wizard makes a mistake! Remember this day people so you can tell your grandchildren you were there.

I think that's why I didn't notice. I saw "Hornet v Matador" and therefore figured you had it covered.

If you have a car and a motorcycle chase then it's a car and motorcycle chase. That's my take at least.
    OK. Here's the thing. As long as the protagonist of the scene is in a vehicle that has wheels and goes on land, it's a car chase. How about that?
    OK. Here's the thing. As long as the protagonist of the scene is in a vehicle that has wheels and goes on land, it's a car chase. How about that?

Well no.

By that rational you could have Bond on a skateboard chasing someone on a unicycle.
    edited June 2016 Posts: 15,692

By that definition the plane chase in QOS is a car chase, as Bond's plane has wheels and touches the ground for a few seconds! :D Sorry for annoying you!
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Hence the new kids cartoon F&F,Babies. They chase around in their prams. :)
    The plane chase in LALD with Mrs Bell is now a car chase is it?
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Also Bond was on top of a bus for part of the roof chase in QOS, does that count ? :P
    Yes, it seems my definition was quite a mess! :))
    edited June 2016 Posts: 9,117
    The whole OP sequence on the train has now been reclassified as a car chase.

It's political correctness gone mad!
    edited June 2016 Posts: 15,423

Well, Bond did chase the train with a car... :-?
    @TheWizardOfIce what exactly is a plane chase? Because during the LALD chase with Mrs Bell; Bond's plane never takes off and is on its wheels the entire time.
    @TheWizardOfIce what exactly is a plane chase? Because during the LALD chase with Mrs Bell; Bond's plane never takes off and is on its wheels the entire time.

That's a fair point. I would say a plane chase is two planes chasing each other - and I guess they could do this on the ground or in the air.

One thing the LALD action sequence at the airport which features Mrs Bell is not though is a car chase.

Well, Bond did chase the train with a car... :-?

Then that would be a train chase. Car chasing train.

Right?
    This is a deep philosophical question that I found myself pondering after watching the "car chase" in Spectre.
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    A car chase is -

"An activity whereby two or more predominantly road-going vehicles with at least two wheels are chasing each other and/or partaking in a race"

Road-going means they predominantly travel on a...road. Not tracks. Planes aren't included because they are mostly airborne (hm, where does LALD Mrs Bell chase sit then? Or even the boat chase which involves the cops chasing a boat)

It's debatable whether bikes (motorised or not) are included in a "car chase"

Ok this is getting complicated. Vehicle chase would be less complicated but doesn't have the same ring as "car chase"