Favorite Bond actor's performances that arent 007 ?

2»

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Indeed, The Man Who Haunted Himself is unquestionably one of Moore's best performances. I've always liked that film.
    I watched TMWHH a couple of years ago and I remember a great line from him:

"Spy work isn't all James Bond and Her Majesty's Secret Service"

The film was made a few years before he did LALD.
    BAIN123 wrote: »

I remember that line!
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    BAIN123 wrote: »

Ah, yes, this.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Sean Connery - The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
    Roger Moore - ffolkes
    Timothy Dalton - Hot Fuzz
    Pierce Brosnan - The November Man
    Daniel Craig - Cowboys and Aliens

I've yet to see another George Lazenby movie.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited April 2016 Posts: 6,758
    Sean
    The Untouchables
    Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
    The Russia House
    The Hunt for Red October
    I really need to watch Marnie and The Man Who Would Be King.

George
    Who Saw Her Die? (a.k.a. Chi l'ha vista morire)
    Great Italian horror flick, worth a watch.

Roger
    Escape to Athena
    The Sea Wolves
    Despite its cast I never really liked The Wild Geese.

Timothy
    The Lion in Winter
    Mary, Queen of Scots
    Permission to Kill
    The Rocketeer
    Hot Fuzz
    Permission to Kill is a largely forgotten but extremely fun spy film.

Pierce
    Mars Attacks!
    The Tailor of Panama
    The Ghost Writer
    I like Pierce a lot as an actor but i hate Mamma Mia!

Daniel
    Layer Cake
    Munich
    The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo still on my watchlist, I plan on watching the Swedish version first though.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Murdock wrote: »

Dear oh dear. Awful and awfully mediocre respectively.

Guilty pleasures for me.

Guilty pleasures for me.

Well at least you have the good grace to feel guilty about it.

Guilty pleasures for me.

Well at least you have the good grace to feel guilty about it.
    I really need to see some more movies from each actor. :))
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Wiz, if you do really despise The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, then I can only imagine the superbly intellectual words in your review of The Avengers coming in with utmost humiliation aimed at the filmmakers. :D
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Birdleson wrote: »
    You people really need to see KENTUCKY FRIED MOVIE.
    What a dirty movie.
  • I'm pretty sure it was 1977, not 1997.
    In the video, which I'm sure the uploader mistyped it in an accident push of a button.
    Just watching The Offence now. SC is pretty scary in it.
  • edited April 2016 Posts: 6,432
    SC: Marnie.
    GL: Superboy (A alien Masquerading as Jor el) :))
    RM: The Naked Face.
    TD: Rocketeer.
    PB: Ghost Writer.
    DC: The Advetures of Tin Tin: The Secret of the Unicorn.

@Birdleson Kentucky Fried Movie is currently on Amazon Instant Video, Its on my watch list. It has Been years since i watched it.
  • edited April 2016 Posts: 4,325
    Sean Connery: The Untouchables
    Roger Moore - The Man Who Haunted Himself
    Timothy Dalton - Hot Fuzz
    Pierce Brosnan - The Ghost
    Daniel Craig - Layer Cake

Only seen OHMSS with George Lazenby in.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Question: Am I the only one here who has seen and totally enjoyed A Fine Madness?
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    Sean Connery: The Rock. With Entrapment second. 5 none Bond movies in my collection. 2 on VHS (The Rock, Just Cause), 2 on dvd (The Hunt For Red October/Entrapment) and 1 on BD (Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves). I also have seen The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and The Avengers (1998)

Roger Moore: Tv series Persuaders and The Saint. I have seen The Saint 1997 movie with his voice and i collect Bed And Breakfast on dvd, but stil must see it.
    Timothy Dalton: Hott Fuzz (2008) and The Tourist (2010).Only none Bond movie i collect and stil haven't seen (It is 149 minutes) is The Informant (1997).

Pierce Brosnan: Mrs Doubtfire and Thomas Crown Afair. From 12 none Bond (Noble House include) i collect only haven't seen Noble House, Night Watch, The Fourth Protocol, November Man and The Love Punch. (Share the 4,5 & 6th in my moost movies with list with with Angelina Jolie and George Clooney, all with 16 movies after Matt Damon (24), Morgan Freeman (18) and Desmond LLwelyn (17).

Daniel Craig: Layer Cake. Together with Tomb Raider and Dreamhouse only 3 none Bond movies i have seen with him, from 11 that i collect.
    Sean Connery has created many movie-personas, but "In the Name of the Rose", "The Untouchables" and "Rising Sun" are among my favorites.

Timothy Dalton showed his wonderful acting skills in "Hawks", and I was pleasantly surprised to see him in "The Tourist" (as 007 being promoted to "M" of some sort). I imagine he went along with the irony of it.

Pierce Brosnan impressed me in "The Fourth Protocol" (quite some time before "Goldeneye"), and amused me in "The Tailor of Panama", "The Thomas Crown Affair" and "Ghost Writer" - for the most part as cocky as his 007, albeit without the gadgets and Bond-production design.

Daniel Craig was quite convincing in "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo". Not to bad in "The Golden Compass" either, but not much to go on, I had the impression.

Can't remember having seen anything non-Bond by George Lazenby or Roger Moore.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    It might be useful to look only at those films Bond actors did during their tenure as Bond, though determining that "tenure time frame" for Connery is a bit tricky.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited April 2016 Posts: 23,883
    TripAces wrote: »
    It might be useful to look only at those films Bond actors did during their tenure as Bond, though determining that "tenure time frame" for Connery is a bit tricky.
    I think Connery was stronger post-Bond (post-NSNA in fact) than any of the others.

Moore could have been good, but was too old for leading man roles when he hung up the holster, and didn't age as well as Connery post-Bond (Connery's career seemed to come alive as the quality of toupees improved).

I think Brosnan and Moore made the most of their tenure as Bond. Both did relatively big name films at the same time as they were doing Bond films.

Craig has been somewhat nonexistent in comparison, for an actor with a 10 yr+ tenure.
    Ever since making an appearance in The Ghost Writer, Brosnan really dumbed his own career down by appearing in ultra-low budget B-Movies instead of pursuing something better. I fear eventually he'll become a Direct-To-DVD film actor.
    edited April 2016 Posts: 4,548
    bondjames wrote: »
    TripAces wrote: »
    I think Connery was stronger post-Bond (post-NSNA in fact) than any of the others.

Moore could have been good, but was too old for leading man roles when he hung up the holster, and didn't age as well as Connery post-Bond (Connery's career seemed to come alive as the quality of toupees improved).

I think Brosnan and Moore made the most of their tenure as Bond. Both did relatively big name films at the same time as they were doing Bond films.

Craig has been somewhat nonexistent in comparison, for an actor with a 10 yr+ tenure.

Oh I do too. No doubt. But given that SC had a stellar 30-year career post-Bond, it's hard to compare his career to DC's and PB's. DC's post-Bond work hasn't begun yet.
    That's why I think we should compare their whole body of work.Going by their bond tenure is bad for some actors like Dalton and George plus we don't know when Daniels will end.
    Wiz, if you do really despise The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, then I can only imagine the superbly intellectual words in your review of The Avengers coming in with utmost humiliation aimed at the filmmakers. :D

It's beneath my contempt.

I'll grant you 9/11 was spectacular but soporific dross such as The Avengers, Man Of Steel and Transformers have gone to show how mind numbingly banal watching skyscrapers getting knocked down actually is.
    edited April 2016 Posts: 4,548
    That's why I think we should compare their whole body of work.Going by their bond tenure is bad for some actors like Dalton and George plus we don't know when Daniels will end.

This is true, too. I am not saying it's a bad idea to look at the whole body, just that it's interesting to see what roles and films "James Bond" did on the side.

And it is quite interesting to go back and look at DC's performances, pre-Bond and not see them through the lens of "He's going to be James Bond." This is particularly true of The Mother.

Most people would watch Remington Steele and Mrs. Doubtfire the same way with PB.