False memories in Bond

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    When I was a kid, I used to think Moore did his first two films before Connery made Diamonds Are Forever.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Not so much a false memory, but I've met many who think that George Lazenby
    was the first Bond. Who wasn't successful and was replaced by Sean Connery ! :))
    was the first Bond. Who wasn't successful and was replaced by Sean Connery ! :))
    My uncle used to think David Niven was the first ever Bond, until I corrected him. And trust me, he needed a lot of convincing. Lol!
  • edited March 2016 Posts: 14,838
    When I first caught the end of OHMSS on TV when I was a child, I thought George Lazenby was actually Sean Connery.

(Oh and off topic I was relieved to see Tracy die. That meant Bond was going to keep seducing women.)
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Birdleson wrote: »

I've never heard that one before.

Yes, I've heard people saying that OHMSS was the first Bond film and also that it was in black and white!
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    After my first watching of OHMSS, a film that really needed time to grow on me, I thought that Tracey was two different people. For some reason I thought the one he rescues and spends the night with was the mother of the one he marries at the end. I know it sounds extremely bizarre, but I really thought it was a mother and daughter combination and not the same person. Granted I was eleven and I spent the whole film thinking that Connery was going to make an appearance. Also for some reason, I don't remember the GE gun barrel being so echoey after the first watch. I thought it was the same as the Connery or the last two Moore films. It wasn't until I bought it that I realized how different it was. Then again, same age as my OHMSS situation.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    I've only heard people say that the Connery ones were black and white. To be fair, in some countries, it would've been black and white in the 60's, wouldn't it?
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Always thought that Marc Lawrence pointed a silenced pistol at Bond in his Las Vegas room in DAF.
    I've only heard people say that the Connery ones were black and white. To be fair, in some countries, it would've been black and white in the 60's, wouldn't it?

I don't think that the Bond films were broadcast on the TV until the 1970s so it would depend on your TV set I guess.
    chrisisall wrote: »
    I thought Tiffany put out her cigarette ON Bond's chest! Later on (years) I realized there was a clear ashtray there. I feel like an idiot; I don't know vat to say....
    ha ha I thought the same, on VHS it really was not that clear.
    Dragonpol wrote: »

I don't think that the Bond films were broadcast on the TV until the 1970s so it would depend on your TV set I guess.
    Back in the day my bedroom TV was black and white, what a contrast to todays tech. I have Spectre in full HD on my phone digital downloaded, crazy.
  • In SP is that scene where Bond and M are in a car, it's crashed and these guys take Bond with them but M is able to escape.
    When I watched SP for the first time I thought they only wanted M but "accidentally" took Bond because the face was covered and they mistook Bond for M :))
    Stupid me... :P
    You know? That scene grabbed my attention when I was watching it last night, but for different reasons. If we had a video game adaptation, we would have a level with M there, imagine how great it would have been to evade the Spectre thugs (or fight them) who are searching for the "secondary target" around the area. Level length: Two or three blocks.

There must have been a source for that somewhere in the dim and distant past because I recall a chap from my school years in the 80's who believed precisely the same thing. He would not have it that Connery was the first film Bond and you should have seen his face when I told him about the 50's CR... It was like his whole world was falling apart.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    chrisisall wrote: »
    I thought Tiffany put out her cigarette ON Bond's chest! Later on (years) I realized there was a clear ashtray there. I feel like an idiot; I don't know vat to say....

You and me both.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited March 2016 Posts: 4,447
    Last time i watched Goldeneye on tv i get idea that mess around with the music.

Possible i am not only one who remember with your first view on VHS you mabey confused about Moonraker and watched FYEO first because of end TSWLM claim FYEO is the 11th Bond movie. Funny thing is that all 18 Video's (include bonus video of Goldeneye) have year in front of it.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    I don't know if it's considered a false memory, but before I had ever watched TMWTGG, I always thought it would be set in Egypt and have Baron Samedi in it...you know because of the game
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    The first few times I saw TWSLM as a kid, I thought Anya's lover was played by George Lazenby.
    edited March 2016 Posts: 1,984
    Lazenby would have the skiing skills to not be shot by Moore's ski pole, lol.
    For a while I thought Felix Leiter was a completely different character from one movie to the other.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Ludovico wrote: »
    For a while I thought Felix Leiter was a completely different character from one movie to the other.

So did he.

Very good, @Birdleson and very true too!
    Here is another one: I thought the Blofeld in DAF was not the same character as the Blofeld in YOLT. I mean a completely different person, not related whatsoever. That was before I saw OHMSS. I don't know why, but I did not remember the name uttered in YOLT, I was very confused with the presence of the cat, but thought they'd use that for different Bond villains.
    Here is another one: I thought the Blofeld in DAF was not the same character as the Blofeld in YOLT. I mean a completely different person, not related whatsoever. That was before I saw OHMSS. I don't know why, but I did not remember the name uttered in YOLT, I was very confused with the presence of the cat, but thought they'd use that for different Bond villains.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    I always thought it was Anya who fired the missile from the Lotus to destroy the Helicopter.....only recently i realised it was Bond!

I know she presses something in the Lotus as she tells a suprised Bond that she's stole the plans for it!
    Yes, she presses the ink release and the mine release buttons.
    I used to think the Car jump in TMWTGG was fake, that awful sound effect does it no favours wish they would remove it.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    I'll add my 2p/¢. I thought Anya's lover was Bond. And at one time in my life I could have sworn that Bond rappelled down a wall.
  • I used to think the Car jump in TMWTGG was fake, that awful sound effect does it no favours wish they would remove it.

It is very easy to believe that the car jump is fake because it is so perfectly done, it is very hard to believe that something like that can be pulled off in real life.
    edited April 2016 Posts: 1,984
    People have a tendency to think the MR PTS is fake and that it's done via CGI. I then remind them that CGI didn't exist in 1979. I don't think Bond used CGI stunts until 1995, in fact.
    It was a while before I got the concept that Connery left after YOLT and was tempted back in DAF. I thought he was unavailable or just wanted a break and Lazenby was a temporary stand-in for him.
    I used to think the Car jump in TMWTGG was fake, that awful sound effect does it no favours wish they would remove it.

It is very easy to believe that the car jump is fake because it is so perfectly done, it is very hard to believe that something like that can be pulled off in real life.

Rewatched the Bluray documentaries for TMWTGG last week, Hamilton mentioned Cubby thought it looked too perfect therefore unreal. The suggestion of doing it again was quickly dismissed by the stunt driver. Great stunt, terrible sound effect.