Last TV Show You Watched?

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Shardlake wrote: »
    It's technically not a show, as its story is made up of a series of 1 1/2 hour films, but I've been watching a series called Jack Taylor recently, now streaming on Netflix.

These films are what you get when you take the unmatched culture and beauty of coastal Galway, Ireland and layer it over with the noir conventions of a cynical antihero, gumshoe narration and storylines depicting moral grays and existential crises. I expected to like these films, but never this much. They take such a surprising and beautiful spin on noir mechanics and conventions to really deliver up something special, all with the very talented and charming Iain Glen as the private eye the center of it all. This is smart, sharp drama with brilliant dialogue, characters, mysteries and visuals that join together to create the best noir influenced modern day detective series I've seen since Luther. Detective Jack Taylor also joins the long line of clever detectives in nice coats like the aforementioned DCI John Luther and Sherlock Holmes, which seems to be the go-to style of any modern investigator worth their salt.

Love a bit of Jack Taylor but Luther is just preposterous nonsense, I don't think they are comparable one bit, far more charm in Glen's Taylor.

Luther is so morose and reminded me of Criminal Minds in that it's always trying to outdo it's unpleasantness. Women are always victims and the plots just get more and more silly.

Sorry Idris is superb in The Wire and I quite liked Luther to start with but as it went on it just got sillier and sillier.

Also Guy Pierce's Jack Irish is good fun if you like Taylor, the difference here is there is humour and warmth just like Jack Taylor whereas Luther is like poor man's Se7en.

Luther seems pretty redundant when the UK is turning out quality like Happy Valley, now if you want a proper gritty but realistic crime drama I recommend that is far more worth your time.

Luther is like the BBC trying to do a U.S drama in the UK, Elba's presense seems to have made it a hit over the pond but the fact it's regarded as gritty is hilarious.

I assure you my country can make much better than this.

@Shardlake, I'm quite aware of the gems your country puts out, as most of what I watch TV wise has its birth in the United Kingdom.

I have to disagree with you on Luther, however. I do prefer Jack Taylor, largely because of my love affair with Ireland, the use of history in the plots, the noir staples it ticks the boxes of, and more, but that's not to say Luther isn't right up there with it.

I think Luther is one of the best realized neo-noir type shows we have, painted with a serious edge. It's the very definition of "gritty," in that it depicts life as it is, with all its pains and pleasures. Idris shines as a very tragic character in stories that explore morality, love, loyalty, justice, existential crises and more. Its villains are just as fascinating, and each represent a unique quirk or danger, from self-righteous vigilantism, surveillance and voyeurism, straight-up cold blooded sadism, and figures that view violence as a game. And of course there's Alice right in the center of it all showing Luther her unique philosophy on life with a basis in social science, especially anthropology as she proves to him how hollow his hopes in people are.

There's a lot going on under the surface of Luther with its cinematic level of presentation and fleshed out characters. The show is certainly dour, but I fail to see how that's a point against it. Luther is a noir staple character, the quintessential modern embodiment of the "man vs. the universe" arc so many great detectives before him have been at the center of. In each series of Luther, it's like he's a puppet on strings as his world gets further and further disheveled and tormented by an puppeteering power unseen and far outside his comprehension. It's not a show for the faint of heart or those who seek resolutions and things tied up in bows at the end of each show, but that's just why I love it so much. It's a fantastic modern noir, and follows the playbook perfectly.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Murdock wrote: »
    Been watching Star Trek: The Original Series on blu-ray. It's incredible and still looks good after 50 years.

They look awesome on BD mate I am currently on a rewatch myself Galileo Seven is up next, the visuals are fantastic on that episode.
    I recently watched Mirror, Mirror. The Galileo Seven is a great episode, The remastered effects were the best on it. Actually that was the very first Star Trek episode I saw and what got me into Star Trek to begin with. :)
    The green nebula looks awesome in The Galileo Seven, one of many great episodes ST:OS is timeless. It's my go to show when I want inspiration and motivation.

My favorite part is when the shuttle ignites it's fuel, A great visual moment.
    Been watching Star Trek: The Original Series on blu-ray. It's incredible and still looks good after 50 years.

They look awesome on BD mate I am currently on a rewatch myself Galileo Seven is up next, the visuals are fantastic on that episode.
    I recently watched Mirror, Mirror. The Galileo Seven is a great episode, The remastered effects were the best on it. Actually that was the very first Star Trek episode I saw and what got me into Star Trek to begin with. :)
    The green nebula looks awesome in The Galileo Seven, one of many great episodes ST:OS is timeless. It's my go to show when I want inspiration and motivation.

My favorite part is when the shuttle ignites it's fuel, A great visual moment.

Just rewatched it that fuel ignition is awesome, love Spocks impulsive action in that scene. Very good episode even though I have watched it hundreds of times, the tension in the episode still works.

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited September 2016 Posts: 17,698
    Ash Vs. Evil Dead
    In one word: Groovy.
    My new favourite series. A must-see IMHO.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Birdleson wrote: »
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Ash Vs. Evil Dead
    In one word: Groovy.
    My new favourite series. A must-see IMHO.
    I was enjoying it, but got a little bored by the fifth episode.
    I can see how that might happen, but I personally like seeing the same gags over and over- it's like a gory Road Runner cartoon.
    =))
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Maigret.

Not usually a fan, but it was Rowan Atkinson in the lead and I was curious. In fact he did very well. Not once did his comedic past get in the way of how I viewed his performance.
    Strictly Come Dancing! Yes i confess to it and love it!!! \:D/ :))
    If anyone gets the chance to have a peek? The actor Danny Mac is a dead ringer for a young Pierce Brosnan!
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Dodger from Hollyoaks? He's a good looking dude but I don't think he looks like Brosnan.
    Just finished watching the second season of Narcos; the best thing on TV right now, just edging out Gommorah as a close second. I was so impressed with the cast and acting and was surprised to not see Pedro Pascal in more movies. Though he does make an appearance in the new Kingsman movie, thankfully. This guy can really act and has the same qualities as a young Stacey Keach mixed with Burt Reynolds. If you're an adult and like adult stories and have superhero fatigue then this show is for you. Don't waste your time posting on here, go and watch it.... NOW!
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Finished what's shown of Elementary in its entirely so far. So, when the new season premieres in a month, I'm already caught up with the "present time" enough to see it.
    stranger-things-banner-600x300.jpg

If you haven't started watching this yet, GO DO IT! It's like every awesome 80's horror/sci-fi movie rolled into one! I just love it!
    I agree, it was a truly excellent series. Sort of how John Carpenter would've made a Goonies movie. Netflix are making some excellent television right now, especially with Narcos 2 just airing recently.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Goodnight Sweetheart : Many Happy Returns

I was curious to see how they would play with the passing of time. Of course, the present day is no longer 1993-1999. The fish out of water jokes came thick and fast. It's scary to realise how much has changed in the last 17 years. Most of the technology that Gary encountered, I didn't even know off. Snapchat? :-??

Bravo also for getting the principle cast back (unlike the other one-offs* that the beeb made recently).

*Considering the general reception, I don't think that this will be the last we will see of Gary Sparrow.
    Courage the Cowardly Dog - one of my all-time favorite shows. Excited for the release of the final season in a few weeks.
  • FoxRox wrote: »
    Courage the Cowardly Dog - one of my all-time favorite shows. Excited for the release of the final season in a few weeks.

That shows is very "freaky".

FoxRox wrote: »

That shows is very "freaky".

It's awesome. Cartoons today are so awful in comparison.
    I had missed 'American Crime" but has been able to catch the two seasons on Netflix.
    its really good. Each season (like American Horror Story) has a different story with much of the cast from playing different roles. I like the approach.

Season 1 deals with a particularly heinous robbery/murder
    Season 2 takes place at an exclusive private school where a prominent member of the basketball team is accused of raping another male student.

I like both seasons but I must say that I think Season 2 is the better of the two.
    Finished season 2 of zoo.

Great show and can't wait for season 3.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    It s hilarious. I think it has become a cult phenomenon.
  • stagstag In the thick of it!
    I'm still guessing that box sets count - if so 'Extras'.
    Tyrant has been mercifully cancelled. I watched all three seasons of this show and the finale was last evening. I kinda saw it coming weeks ago by the way they were killing off some promising characters (General Rami Said, Emma Al Fayed, Jamaal Al Fayed) Rami and Emma had archs that were going somewhere and Jamaal was a key character and the real gravitas of the show.

While watching, I see previews of the upcoming Season 6 of American Horror Story. I have to say, I liked the first season (actually loved it) but beginning with season 2 this anthology series devolved into a gross-out and just all around weirdness.
    I got through 4 episodes of season 2 and only five of season 3, did not try to watch season 4 and got thru one of season 5.
    As screenwriters will tell you, flashbacks are a lazy form of storytelling and most writers will avoid this gimic like the plague. In horror writing, the gross-out is a lazy form of writing and when shows have to resort to this crap it shows a lack of imagination and creativity in the writing staff. A crying shame.

The first season of AHS was very creepy and tastefully done, and the murders/deaths were all handled with good taste with minimum gore. Now the show is just out there trying to make viewers sick with the gore fests.
    edited September 2016 Posts: 15,423
    Hmm... With the cancellation of Tyrant, I think I smell something rather interesting for Adam Rayner here...

Last year he shot additional scenes for The Saint, a proposed TV pilot originally produced and filmed back in 2013 but wasn't picked up to this day... That might mean if there's promising opportunity for it, he might get back to work and continue playing Simon Templar in further episodes...
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited September 2016 Posts: 28,694
    I'm still holding out for Sam Heughan for landing the Simon Templar part, by some miracle. The lad is a dead ringer for a young Sir Roger and he's got the charisma to back it up; the casting is so easy.

img_5046.jpg?w=569&h=849

Can-you-handle-smirk.jpg
    Agreed, Brady. Sam Heughan should be playing Simon Templar in the film Paramount is supposedly developing right now.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    edited September 2016 Posts: 1,812
    Currently going through and binge watching Parks and Recreation on Netflix.I've seen all the season except the finale. By far one of the funniest shows with some of the most likable characters.
    @Risico007, McGuyver seems to be a dud.
  • edited September 2016 Posts: 15,882
    I watched the 1st fifteen minutes of the new MACGYVER, then decided I actually need to be paid the 2016 inflation adjusted equivalent of Sean's salary for DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER, to finish it. Since that's probably not going to happen, I turned it off with the consolation knowing I have all 7 seasons of the classic Mac anytime I need my MacGyver fix.
    Just started season 3 of Penny Dreadful, not a good show but mostly i\ watch for Abel Korzeniowski's music, also it would be nice if they gave Timothy Dalton something to do but that's asking too much I guess.
  • Started season 2 of Damages, I stand by what i said about this being a forgotten gem.
  • edited September 2016 Posts: 9,791
    doubleoego wrote: »
    @Risico007, McGuyver seems to be a dud.
    Really at the highest watched show on Friday night that is some dud...

I thought it was brilliant will post my review later today
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    IGUANNA wrote: »
    Just started season 3 of Penny Dreadful, not a good show but mostly i\ watch for Abel Korzeniowski's music, also it would be nice if they gave Timothy Dalton something to do but that's asking too much I guess.

It looked great, but I couldn't get past the first couple of episodes.