Spectre versus the field: Skyfall

Comments

• edited August 2016 Posts: 1,310
    Wish I had caught this thread earlier!

PTS: SP - A bit bland, but more exciting than DAF.

Title Track: DAF - Shirley Bassey, baby.

Title Credits: SP - Lots of people don't seem to like the SP credits, but I kind of do.

Main Villain: SP - I gave this one to Waltz just because I admire him as an actor overall, but the way his Blofeld is written is just tosh. Somewhat indifferent to Gray.

Main Bond Girl: SP - Would have given it to Jill St. John if her character didn't become so annoying later on in the film.

Henchman: DAF - Wint and Kidd are far better realized and more memorable than Hinx (shouldn't have been that way, but alas).

Overall Plot: DAF - DAF is admittedly as dumb as it gets, but SP is trying too hard.

Dialogue: DAF - "I didn't know there was a pool down there."

Score: DAF - No question.

Settings: SP - More exotic.

Action: SP - SP has a bunch of blandness, perhaps sans the train fight, although since Hinx is improperly set up as a character the fight loses a bit of what it really could have been. But DAF is just a bunch of goofy stuff.

Humor: DAF - DAF wins on the dialog, though there are moments where the film goes too far. SP on the other hand is never funny, especially when it tries to be.

Cinematography: SP - Blame Mendes for that yellow hue, not van Hoytema. DAF's is fine, though.

Benign Bizarre: DAF - Begins and ends with Jimmy Dean, really. But also a giant space laser made of diamonds.

Suspense: SP - DAF is a little too goofy to ever be that tense.

Minor Characters: DAF - Once again, "I didn't know there was a pool down there."

Glamour: SP - Mainly based on locations.

Bond Performance: DAF - Connery is certainly not in great form, but as a semi-spoof it almost works. Craig on the other hand gives his worst performance yet.

DAF: 9
    SP: 9

Both are towards the bottom-middle, but DAF has a so-bad-it's-good thing going on whereas SP is just dull. If someone forced me to watch one or the other right now, I'd choose DAF.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    Not sure what this thread is about, but instead let's demonize someone with severe mental health problems, and then stonewall them! Forum members don't like me, have you heard! Ask @Benny he'll tell you all about it.

To what or whom do you refer?

Me. I'm referring to me. @Benny doesn't like me, I'm inappropriate, that's because I suffer from mental illness. Instead of warning me he thought he would strike my account. Then, when I attempted to request what I had said wrong, he wouldn't respond. Nor would @NicNac. Great mods BTW.

I've responded to your PM. I'm sorry if you suffer from a mental illness, but that in no way is the fault of myself or anyone at Mi6 Community. If you require medication or feel your condition worsen from spending time here, then the mods, admin nor fellow members cannot be taken into account for this. It is up to you to conduct yourself in an appropriate manner on the forums. If you cannot do this for whatever reason, then a sabbatical might be in order.
    At no point have you to my knowledge alerted any of the mods / admin that you suffer from a mental illness, and to try to make it sound like I'm impartial or unsympathetic to your condition is grossly out of order. As I have said in other threads, where you have make an announcement concerning me or the mods. You were given a warning for a reason. Learn from it. Pull your socks up and grow up. If this causes you to give over the top outburst, then maybe some time away from the forum is in order.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Delighted to see that Charles Gray is so well-liked.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I'm typing the wittiest comments and responses, then deleting them out of kindness. At least I'm getting to laugh at them.

Admirable restraint Sir.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    edited August 2016 Posts: 7,976
    I'm typing the wittiest comments and responses, then deleting them out of kindness. At least I'm getting to laugh at them.

But please do PM them! ;-)

(to me, that is!)
    GBF wrote: »
    I also like him much more than Waltz. He is really amusing and funny. His lines are great. For what it is it's just perfect. Waltz however is just boring and one of the biggest disappointments of Spectre. The Problem is that they tried to make him scary but he just isn't it. Gray however never meant to play a serious Blofeld. It would not fit to such a campy film aus DAF.
    But Blofeld should in no way be amusing and funny! He should be cunning, threatening and one step ahead of everyone! Gray would've been fantastic in Austin Powers, I'll Grant you that...
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    You can mock Diamonds Are Forever, but I think a lot of that humour is intentional.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited August 2016 Posts: 17,813
    Not sure what this thread is about, but instead let's demonize someone with severe mental health problems, and then stonewall them! Forum members don't like me, have you heard! Ask @Benny he'll tell you all about it.

To what or whom do you refer?

Me. I'm referring to me. @Benny doesn't like me, I'm inappropriate, that's because I suffer from mental illness. Instead of warning me he thought he would strike my account. Then, when I attempted to request what I had said wrong, he wouldn't respond. Nor would @NicNac. Great mods BTW.

Well even I have a warning notification on my account from September 2013 for attempting to recruit members here to Bond and Beyond, a breakaway forum that I no longer am a member of or have any link with. I see you have no such warning on your profile so count yourself very lucky. I have much sympathy with anyone who suffers from a mental illness but please try to reign yourself in otherwise you will eventually be banned and I'm sure you don't seriously want that to happen. Just some advice from another member who has been that way before, albeit for different reasons.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    edited August 2016 Posts: 5,131
    I agree on Charles Gray - brilliant actor and delivgery. Ironically, his Blofeld has the most sheer character out of all of them. The fact that it';s the wrong sort of character for Blofeld is beside the point almost.

I agree with many of your posts on here. But this I have to disagree with. His Blofeld was an unmenacing parody and nothing like Fleming's villain. Waltz was just ok (daddy issues were pointless I agree). Savalas remains the best Blofeld.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I'm one of the many fans of Telly Savalas as Blofeld. :)
    That's because you have taste and know what your talking about.
    He had menace, I have to admit I was one of the many who wanted to see
    C Waltz as a Bond villain, but he seems very lack luster in Spectre. He's far
    Better in other films.
    Yes the Fleming Blofeld was a physical and mental threat to Bond, which Telly was.
    It must be time for Live And Let Die now.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    I like Gray's Blofeld, so obviously I don't have a clue what I'm talking about.
    Join the club ! :D
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    royale65 wrote: »
    Count me in for the Gray love. Both are poor Blofeld's, but at least I get a hoot from watching Gray.

Yep can't argue with that.

I watched DAF the other day and bits of it are embarrassingly bad (actually is it too late to change any of my scores? God knows SP isn't perfect but it's a class apart from DAF).

But Charles is never less than thoroughly entertaining.

I'm going to grab a screen shot, and frame it.

@Dragonpol - if only Gray wasn't called Blofeld and just some rather random villain. Then again, perhaps this is an alternate Bond universe, a bizzaro one, where Blofeld is charming?

Diamonds vs. Spectre

PTS: SP
    Title track: DAF (Easy)
    Title credits: DAF
    Main villain: DAF
    Main Bond Girl: SP (Close one)
    Henchman: DAF
    Plot: DAF
    Dialogue: DAF (Easy)
    Score: DAF
    Settings: SP
    Action: SP
    Humour: DAF
    Cinematography: SP
    Benign Bizarre: DAF
    Suspense: tie
    Minor Characters: DAF
    Glamour: DAF
    Bond performance: tie

11 - 5 - 2 in favor of Diamonds Are Forever
  • NickGNickG UK
    Difficult for me as Spectre is my second favourite Bond film (after OHMSS) and DAF is number three (it was the first film that I saw when I was 8 and I loved it!)
    PTS:SP
    Title Track:DAF
    Title Credits: DAF
    Main Villain: SP
    Main Bond Girl: SP
    Henchman: DAF
    Overall Plot: SP
    Dialogue: DAF (WITTIEST OF THE SERIES)
    Humor: DAF
    Suspense: SP
    Glamour:DAF
    BOND PERFORMANCE: SP
    Strange DAF just beats SP on these measures. That's not how I see it in reality, perhaps we should add a new dimension, 'Emotional Depth', which SP would win easily!
    I think there are plenty on here who would have DAF win on emotional depth too.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    edited August 2016 Posts: 2,044
    Title track: DAF
    Title credits: SP
    Main villain: SP
    Henchman: SP
    Plot: SP
    Dialogue: DAF
    Minor Characters: SP
    Glamour: SP
    Bond performance: SP

SP-13 DAF-5
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Title track: DAF
    Title credits: DAF
    Main villain: SP
    Plot: SP
    Dialogue: DAF
    Glamour: DAF
    Bond performance: SP

SP-10 DAF-8
  • NickGNickG UK
    I love DAF but tell me where's the emotional depth?
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    NickG wrote: »

Correct, there is none there whatsoever!
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'

SP should win this more comfortably but it always starts at 2-0 down given it is never going to beat a Barry score and title song with its shoddy Newman soundtrack and the very average WOTW.

Can't see that changing much as we go on either.

• edited August 2016 Posts: 4,025

Well, it never set out to have emotional depth.

SP should win this more comfortably but it always starts at 2-0 down given it is never going to beat a Barry score and title song with its shoddy Newman soundtrack and the very average WOTW.

Once you go 2-0 down your head drops, and then it's game over.

A very good point. And it holds true for virtually any Barry-scored Bond film versus one not scored by Barry. Just goes to show how valuable it is to have a composer of genius in your corner.

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Is someone trying to say that SP comtains emotional depth?
    Compared to DAF, yes. Compared to OHMSS, oh hells no.
  • Well, after one of our biggest rounds in a good long time, the final results are 273-235-10 in favor of Spectre, notching its first victory in the series. And although the total tally was quite close, SP cleaned up in the number of scorecards won, by a margin of 17-9-3. Now it's time to see if SP can manage back to back victories, as it competes against Moore's 1973 debut, Live and Let Die.

PTS: SP (LALD's might be the weakest in the whole series)
    Title track: LALD (come on)
    Title credits: SP (neither is particularly inspiring)
    Main villain: LALD (Kananga is bland, but he doesn't have an outrageously awful twist)
    Main Bond Girl: LALD (Jane Seymour is just too hot)
    Plot: LALD (I don't know if I'll pick SP a single time here)
    Dialogue: SP (I am not voting for a movie with the line "Take this honky out back and waste him)
    Score: LALD
    Action: LALD (boat chase!)
    Humour: SP (sure, why not?)
    Benign Bizarre: LALD (if there's one thing LALD is, it's weird)
    Minor Characters: SP (I suppose I have to penalize LALD for the racism somewhere)
    Bond performance: SP (Rog was still finding his groove here)

SP picks up another victory, by a margin of 11-7! Interesting, given that I have LALD higher than DAF on the old Bond rankings.

Let's see your tallies!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    PTS: LALD (Short, sweet, and immediately kicks off Bond's mission)
    Title track: LALD
    Title credits: LALD
    Main villain: LALD
    Main Bond Girl: LALD (Solitaire or Swann? Easy choice.)
    Henchman: LALD
    Plot: LALD
    Dialogue: LALD
    Action: LALD
    Humour: LALD
    Cinematography: LALD
    Benign Bizarre: LALD
    Suspense: LALD
    Minor Characters: LALD
    Bond performance: LALD (Can't see myself choosing SP at any time.)

LALD wins, 16-2.
    PTS: LALD
    Title track: LALD
    Title credits: LALD
    Main villain: LALD
    Henchman: LALD
    Plot: LALD
    Dialogue: LALD
    Settings: LALD
    Action: LALD