Spectre versus the field: Skyfall

Comments

• GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    I fail to see how Vegas can be glamourous, it is vulgar and lacking in style or class. Expensive doesn't necessarily mean stylish. Vegas is like a Lamborghini, expensive but tasteless.

I'd compare it to a Porsche: boring as hell and the Obvious choice for those with no taste wanting to show off their money.

I was actually thinking about Porsche too but I eventually chose something similar.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    @CommanderRoss, Dahl had nothing to do with DAF.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    @CommanderRoss, Dahl had nothing to do with DAF.

You sure? I thought he did the editing... ;-)

my bad, too many whisky's on one night
    may incline one to be less bright..

and, of course, you're right.

• suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Spectre is better in everyway.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Score and title track?
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Fair comment. Spectre is better in everyway bar the score and title track. Although I now really like Sam Smith's title track.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Spectre vs Diamonds are Forever

PTS: SP – (Anything is better than “Ca-Cai-Cairo!”)
    Title track: DAF
    Title credits: DAF (Close one, but the cat segue wins it)
    Main villain: DAF (Piss poor representations of Fleming's Blofeld, but at least Gray's Blofeld is a hoot)
    Main Bond girl: SP
    Henchman: SP
    Plot: SP
    Dialogue: DAF (Sparkling dialogue from Mankiewicz)
    Score: DAF (Oh, come on now)
    Settings: SP
    Action: SP
    Humour: DAF
    Cinematography: SP
    Benign Bizarre: DAF (The very definition of the benign bizarre)
    Suspense: SP
    Minor Characters: SP (Close, I was going to give this one to the Hergesheimer* but Mr. White)
    Glamour: SP
    Bond performance: SP

SP - 11
    DAF – 7

The first victory for Spectre.

https://twitter.com/k_hergesheimer
    PTS: SP
    Title credits: DAF
    Main villain: DAF
    Plot: DAF
    Dialogue: DAF
    Score: DAF
    Settings: DAF
    Action: DAF
    Cinematography: DAF
    Benign Bizarre: DAF
    Suspense: DAF
    Minor Characters: DAF
    Glamour: DAF

SP - 4
    DAF – 14
  • KaijuDirectorOO7KaijuDirectorOO7 Once Upon a Time Somewhere...
    suavejmf wrote: »
    Fair comment. Spectre is better in everyway bar the score and title track. Although I now really like Sam Smith's title track.

If The Writing's On The Wall had been sung by someone else, (Adele again or maybe Sia) I think I would have liked it better. No disrespect to Sam Smith or his fans, but I thought the only real problem was the singer. Then again it might start to grow on me...

• Do we have any final entries before we move on to Sir Rog?
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Birdleson wrote: »
    After re-watching DAF I had to go back and make an amendment to mine. Charles Gray is such a joy to watch in comparison, I get excited every time that he is on screen.
    My dear @birdleson, have you been smoking pot again? ;-)
    Always, but I dint think that has any bearing. I don't see how anyone can watch those two performances back to back and get more enjoyment from Waltz. Gray's Blofeld is a rich and surprising character.
    I find Waltz's Blofeld dark and cruel, psychopathic. Gray's Blofeld is more of a ... well the best i can come up with is drag queen act, but that's too obvious as he actually does cross dress. It may fit the era, but I don't think it's Fleming's Blofeld worthy. Waltz, allthough giving it his own twist, comes closer to the calculating, intelligent and cunning Blofeld with personality issues Fleming created.
    Always, but I dint think that has any bearing. I don't see how anyone can watch those two performances back to back and get more enjoyment from Waltz. Gray's Blofeld is a rich and surprising character.
    I find Waltz's Blofeld dark and cruel, psychopathic. Gray's Blofeld is more of a ... well the best i can come up with is drag queen act, but that's too obvious as he actually does cross dress. It may fit the era, but I don't think it's Fleming's Blofeld worthy. Waltz, allthough giving it his own twist, comes closer to the calculating, intelligent and cunning Blofeld with personality issues Fleming created.

There was a cross-dressing precedent in Bond films, though: Jacques Bouval (sp?) in TB.

There was a cross-dressing precedent in Bond films, though: Jacques Bouval (sp?) in TB.
    True, and that too was to get away from prying eyes, but Bouvard was just an operative, whilst Blofeld is the real deal and should Always be a step ahead. Of course we know little of JB, other then he killed to other MI6 agents, but he isn't a criminal mastermind.

But it's Gray's portrayal on the whole. I don't find him menacing at all, nor does he seem that intelligent. He's arrogant enough, that's true, but is far less on top of his game then any of the other incarnations. All imo, of course.
    Charles Gray is embarrassingly bad! Too silly, he was completely unthreatening as Blofeld. And the drag scene is one of the worst moments in the series! How anyone could take him seriously as a villain after that is beyond me! Waltz was far better, particularly the scene where he baited Bond with his past lovers, and showing Madeleine the footage of her fathers suicide! Nasty, just like a Bond villain should be!
    Gray's dialogue alone elevates his incarnation above Daddy issues Blofeld, for me.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    After re-watching DAF I had to go back and make an amendment to mine. Charles Gray is such a joy to watch in comparison, I get excited every time that he is on screen.

That's Gray in general for me: whether it's him as Blofeld in DAF or appearing as Dikko in YOLT, I always enjoy his scenes. Plus, it's tough to be worse than Waltz's Blofeld.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Count me in for the Gray love. Both are poor Blofeld's, but at least I get a hoot from watching Gray.
  • GBFGBF
    I also like him much more than Waltz. He is really amusing and funny. His lines are great. For what it is it's just perfect. Waltz however is just boring and one of the biggest disappointments of Spectre. The Problem is that they tried to make him scary but he just isn't it. Gray however never meant to play a serious Blofeld. It would not fit to such a campy film aus DAF.
    Do we have any final entries before we move on to Sir Rog?

Did DAF win then?
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    royale65 wrote: »
    Count me in for the Gray love. Both are poor Blofeld's, but at least I get a hoot from watching Gray.

Yep can't argue with that.

I watched DAF the other day and bits of it are embarrassingly bad (actually is it too late to change any of my scores? God knows SP isn't perfect but it's a class apart from DAF).

But Charles is never less than thoroughly entertaining.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited August 2016 Posts: 17,813
    I agree on Charles Gray - brilliant actor and delivery. Ironically, his Blofeld has the most sheer character out of all of them. The fact that it's the wrong sort of character for Blofeld is beside the point almost.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Not sure what this thread is about, but instead let's demonize someone with severe mental health problems, and then stonewall them! Forum members don't like me, have you heard! Ask @Benny he'll tell you all about it.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Not sure what this thread is about, but instead let's demonize someone with severe mental health problems, and then stonewall them! Forum members don't like me, have you heard! Ask @Benny he'll tell you all about it.

To what or whom do you refer?
    Dragonpol wrote: »

To what or whom do you refer?

Me. I'm referring to me. @Benny doesn't like me, I'm inappropriate, that's because I suffer from mental illness. Instead of warning me he thought he would strike my account. Then, when I attempted to request what I had said wrong, he wouldn't respond. Nor would @NicNac. Great mods BTW.
    2a7ws1v.jpg
    edited August 2016 Posts: 8,110
    2a7ws1v.jpg

Maybe you are right. Probably. ~O)
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    Title credits: SP
    Main villain: SP
    Henchman: DAF
    Plot: SP
    Dialogue: SP
    Action: SP
    Suspense: SP
    Minor Characters: SP

SP - 13
    DAF - 5
    I have to say this is a very close one I love both of these Bond movies but I will try,

Title credits: SP
    Main villain: DAF
    Settings: DAF
    Action: DAF
    Humour: SP
    Cinematography: DAF
    Benign Bizarre: SP
    Suspense: DAF
    Minor Characters: SP

SP - 9
    DAF - 9
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    PTS: DAF (bad but Newman ruins SP's)
    Title credits: ?
    Main Villain: DAF (so much fun)
    Main Bond girl: SP (looks. Writing is flawed with both)
    Henchman: DAF (Wint and Kidd are among my favorites)
    Action: DAF (both not very good but at least daf has the elevator fight and the moon night is unique)
    Suspense: neither
    Minor Characters: DAF (bizarre but so fun)

DAF - 11, SP - 5. Unsure - 2