What country would you like to be the MAIN location for BOND 26?

1232425262729»

Comments

• SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    zebrafish wrote: »
    This is not the title thread, but the locations thread!

Has anyone here visited North Macedonia? It seems to be a perfect setting for Bond:

Matka Canyon:
    cropped-shutterstock_1218110956.jpg?anchor=center&mode=crop&width=1920&height=0&format=auto&quality=90&rnd=132128639280000000

Church at Kaneo, Lake Ohrid:
    cropped-shutterstock_527476231.jpg?anchor=center&mode=crop&width=1920&height=0&format=auto&quality=90&rnd=132128640590000000

Millennium Cross in Skopje:
    1024px-Millennium_Cross_in_Skopje_1-1024x768.jpg

The town of Kruševo in the snow:
    Hotel-Montana-%C2%A9-Filip-Risteski-2.jpg?ssl=1

The Makedonium in Kruševo:
    makedonium_krusevo.jpg

Interesting country, but again, depends upon the plot, if the next Bond would be like that of FYEO, then possibly.
    The locations were a bit similar to Greece (and if my memory serves, it's a part of Greek Islands as well).
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    @zebrafish I wonder if Bond could ever work in significant (Christian/Western) religious iconography and/or themes and do it tastefully or without harsh criticism?

I can't wrap my head around how it could be done, but the giant cross and church would make for some very interesting and unique Bond frames, for sure.

I think it'd be disrespectful to have a "Christian"-based cult or something for Bond's main audience, so that's off the table. I also don't see Bond ever going on any sort of spiritual journey himself, so not that. You can't have the villain be super orthodox or religious because that could be misinterpreted by the larger group. It's tricky, but a fun challenge for Bond creatives I think.

I recently pitched a "Bond at a wedding" scenario which could touch on some religious themes without going too far, perhaps. Regardless, good recommendation!
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    edited November 2023 Posts: 7,973
    @zebrafish lake Ohrid is spectacularly beautiful, as is the rest of the country. But nothing beats Skopje (the capital) in surrealistic grandeur and pomp, based on a created history. The whole city could be a villain's lair. Next to the glittering neo-classic centre you'll find thr Bazaar, n islamic area that probably can match most islamic cities for tiny alleyways and small shops in very old streets. It's defintley worth a visit and guaranteed you won't know what to think of it for a long, long time.

Nice read about it you can find here;
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/a-tour-of-the-city-known-as-the-kitsch-capital-of-the-world-a8289866.html

1024px-%D0%A1%D0%9A_Old_Bridge%2C_Skopje_%2833745349220%29.jpg

1280px-%D0%9F%D0%BE%D0%B3%D0%BB%D0%B5%D0%B4_%D0%BA%D0%BE%D0%BD_%D0%A1%D1%83%D0%BB%D0%B8_%D0%90%D0%BD_%D0%B8_%D0%A1%D1%82%D0%B0%D1%80%D0%B0%D1%82%D0%B0_%D1%81%D0%BA%D0%BE%D0%BF%D1%81%D0%BA%D0%B0_%D1%87%D0%B0%D1%80%D1%88%D0%B8%D1%98%D0%B0.JPG

de67a50d-604e-4014-b573-e76ce84a6a0e-2060x1236.jpeg?width=620&dpr=2&s=none

62412283.jpg?k=54a9a62178765cf2a3d4d20d564bf8318ec9953f9a44c6d3d420676579cec0ca&o=&hp=1

• zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    edited November 2023 Posts: 4,312
    Thanks @CommanderRoss , I had heard first-hand from a Macedonian about the capital's statues, but also about the country's beauty, that's why I proposed it. Spending those sums on kitsch in a poor country is a crying shame, but then there we go. If tourists come to Skopje, then most likely not because of, but despite the 1000 statues.

@LucknFate , if done in an inoffensive manner, religious monuments/buildings could well play a part in a Bond movie. There are several instances of christian (and other) churches, weddings and funerals. Of course, there should not be any desecrating scenes, but the cross and church serve as amazing backdrops.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    I'm another one for Greece. Beautiful and romantic (if you can get rid of all the British 18-30 tourists!), I think it would be great for Bond to return there.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited November 2023 Posts: 5,979
    LucknFate wrote: »
    @zebrafish I wonder if Bond could ever work in significant (Christian/Western) religious iconography and/or themes and do it tastefully or without harsh criticism?

I can't wrap my head around how it could be done, but the giant cross and church would make for some very interesting and unique Bond frames, for sure.

I think it'd be disrespectful to have a "Christian"-based cult or something for Bond's main audience, so that's off the table.

Or they could just film it in the southern US. Plenty of "Christian"-based cultists there.

Thanks a lot for the outcasts, Europe!
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    edited November 2023 Posts: 1,261
    Bond never has been Down Under. So maybe that would be an interesting location. And in Europe maybe Croatia, Hungary, Czech Republic, or, indeed North Macedonia. Not Italy, we had Craig's Bond going there in four of his five movies. And Austria maybe not as well, unless they pick Vienna or Salzburg.
    And Austria maybe not as well, unless they pick Vienna or Salzburg.

Actually, I would add Innsbruck to your Austria list. It has one of the most spectacular Ski jumps - designed by the architect Zahar Hadid and finished in 2003 - that looks out over Innsbruck and faces towards the "Nordkette" (Northern Chain), a chain of steep mountains that lock Innsbruck towards the north.

Ski Jump top station:
    34d9f5344338652bae7d59ccfd3d5323.jpg?1593421677

View towards Nordkette (the athletes actually fly straight ahead towards a graveyard, which is situated just outside the sports arena, in front of the church!):
    Innsbruck_Panorama_Nordkette_3.jpg

And the view south from Nordkette, with the opening towards Brenner pass in the background:
    Region-Innsbruck-Nordkette-Goetheweg-Innsbruck-Tourismus.jpg

And of course the city is also quite beautiful:
    Innsbruck_-_Maria-Theresien-Strasse__c__TVB_Innsbruck_-_Christof_Lackner.jpg
  • Junglist_1985Junglist_1985 Los Angeles
    Some real FYEO vibes there ^

Agreed we need a winter sport sequence again, doesn't necessarily have to be skiing.
    edited November 2023 Posts: 3,390
    Bond never has been Down Under. And Austria maybe not as well, unless they pick Vienna or Salzburg.

The thing is, Bond went to Vienna and spent the good portion of The Living Daylights in there.

For me, I'd liked to see Bond in Switzerland, again, Bond had been to Switzerland in 1969, and that the last, he never been there since.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    zebrafish wrote: »
    And Austria maybe not as well, unless they pick Vienna or Salzburg.

Actually, I would add Innsbruck to your Austria list. It has one of the most spectacular Ski jumps - designed by the architect Zahar Hadid and finished in 2003 - that looks out over Innsbruck and faces towards the "Nordkette" (Northern Chain), a chain of steep mountains that lock Innsbruck towards the north.

Ski Jump top station:
    34d9f5344338652bae7d59ccfd3d5323.jpg?1593421677

View towards Nordkette (the athletes actually fly straight ahead towards a graveyard, which is situated just outside the sports arena, in front of the church!):
    Innsbruck_Panorama_Nordkette_3.jpg

And the view south from Nordkette, with the opening towards Brenner pass in the background:
    Region-Innsbruck-Nordkette-Goetheweg-Innsbruck-Tourismus.jpg

And of course the city is also quite beautiful:
    Innsbruck_-_Maria-Theresien-Strasse__c__TVB_Innsbruck_-_Christof_Lackner.jpg

Yes, Innsbruck might be a spectacular location. And we did not have a ski chase in a Bond movie since TWINE. BTW, from the old Ski Jump Tower the athletes waiting for their go, had a magnificent on the local cemetry. The new tower was bulit and moved in a 90 degrees angle, so now graveyards anymore. At least for the athletes.

@SIS-HQ: Correct, but Vienna was also the stand-in for Bratislava, as they would not be allowed to shoot in the CSSR back then. Two years later things in Eastern Europe would change dramatically.
  • Thinking maybe Australia and New Zealand as Bond has hitherto not fearured in such locations.

There's like Sydney Opera House, Ayers Rock, Alice Springs and NZ has two islands with places like Christchurch and Auckland that must be worth a visit, Bond and the viewer could fit right in.

You got Tasmania over there also which could feature as part of a story, maybe ending on location with a final villain fight or something. It's all just theoretical but something that just could work.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    New Zealand would be a fantastic location to shoot in. It'd be nice to go South Africa at some point too
    Spain Sevilla/Barcelona would also be nice. Paris as well.
    Spain Sevilla/Barcelona would also be nice. Paris as well.

Spain, absolutely. But after the Fallout chase in Paris and then the similar chase for DR:PT1 in Rome, which looked just like Paris on screen, I think spy movies should move away from those two particular cities for a bit. And really should avoid a car chase in them.

France is big. Go to the south coast or something.
    South Africa is a location for DR:PT 2.
    edited November 2023 Posts: 1,430
    South Africa is a location for DR:PT 2.

South Coast... of France is what I'd meant if there was confusion. SA should be lovely.
  • edited November 2023 Posts: 893
    echo wrote: »
    Saudi Arabia has a lot of human rights issues, so it doesn't bring the escapism that I usually look for in a Bond film.

It's an interesting question: should Bond travel to places where an actual spy would carry a mission (and where filmmakers probably can't shoot the movie they want, forcing them to use another location to pose as the country Bond travels to), like Russia, Belarus, Iran; or should Bond go to places where filmmakers can film their movie and with political values in line with those of a Western audience?
    I would say „stay out of current politics“. While Iran is a beautiful country, it is probably best to find less complicated places in the world right now.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Thanks to an article on CNN, I'll vote Angola

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/lubango-angola-destination/index.html
    Amsterdam... They only used it once for DAF. Or Bruxelles, also a beautiful. Bruxelles_Manneken_Pis.jpg

800px-TE-Collage_Brussels.png

Or Bond could be .... IN BRUGES :::

1920px-PanoBrug_-_IMG_6015_-_IMG_6019_-_7525x1974_-_CLIN_1.jpg

tourist-boat-on-canal-spiegelrei-bruges-belgium.jpg?b=1&s=170667a&w=0&k=20&c=7fW9I3tp3Sbq19bA0DfG-xnXFKc8u2FpG834NyuRjyY=
    I would love to see Bond in heavy winter attire in Europe. But overcoats and scarves, not damn puffer coats.
    LucknFate wrote: »
    I would love to see Bond in heavy winter attire in Europe. But overcoats and scarves, not damn puffer coats.

Well, if he's coming to the Netherlands or Belgium, he'll just need a raincoat. I don't find either exotic. Mainly because I live here, I suppose, but there are far more interesting places on the planet.
    Yes, I mean the Bond In Motion was recently set in Brussels, so could that be a sign?
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    Costa Rica seems lovely. And while I doubt their tourism board would be thrilled if that were worked into the plot, the fact that Costa Rica doesn't have any Armed Forces opens some interesting plot possibilities.
    Bruxelles has the EU and the Nato Headquarters, the AStomium and the the nice old city centre. Or Bruges with it's ALCOVAS... :D