What country would you like to be the MAIN location for BOND 26?

Comments

• RC7RC7
    Australia and Dubai have never really felt like Bond locations to me. I could be swayed on the former, but the latter is brash, flash, clinical and wealth driven. It's precisely what Bond isn't. It's prefab and tacky in it's garishness. The luxury Bond craves is defined by heritage, authenticity, style and class.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    ^Well said.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    It doesn't matter what location they choose if they aren't willing or able to showcase it to maximum effect and allow the film to 'breathe' there, so the audience can take in the atmosphere. That is something that was done brilliantly in the past, and has to be focused on next time out. As an example Tangier was wasted in the latest effort, and was mostly digitized, from what I've read.
  • Main location: Japan - the colourful bustling cityscapes of Tokyo or Osaka, the castles, volcanoes, mountains, temples. I would think Japan is both the perfect and obvious choice.
    Other major locations: South Africa or Sri Lanka for some kind of street chase and a bit of sunshine.
    PTS: Australia/NZ - there are plenty of perfect backdrops in both countries, and given that our accents aren't usually considered exotic enough you could have a chase scene with minimal dialogue, hence PTS.
    Canada is another country that surely must be visited soon.
  • RC7RC7
    bondjames wrote: »
    It doesn't matter what location they choose if they aren't willing or able to showcase it to maximum effect and allow the film to 'breathe' there, so the audience can take in the atmosphere. That is something that was done brilliantly in the past, and has to be focused on next time out. As an example Tangier was wasted in the latest effort, and was mostly digitized, from what I've read.

They have a tendency, recently, to present a sort of homogenised, half-imagined version of locations, despite being there. I think I've said before, they did it with London in SF and SP. It comes across as a tourist checklist. There's lots of London that could be used to add a more distinct flavour in future.
    RC7 wrote: »

They have a tendency, recently, to present a sort of homogenised, half-imagined version of locations, despite being there. I think I've said before, they did it with London in SF and SP. It comes across as a tourist checklist. There's lots of London that could be used to add a more distinct flavour in future.
    I agree and I think it's incumbent on Bond (as the most English of major franchises) to do it before someone else does.
  • RC7RC7

I agree and I think it's incumbent on Bond (as the most English of major franchises) to do it before someone else does.

You're right. It'll be a damn shame if another movie does the job before Bond.
  • edited December 2016 Posts: 19,339
    It wouldn't surprise me if one of the other franchises (possibly the MI series,as Tom Cruise LOVES London) does that before Bond does.
    I cant see BOND25 having anything to do with London after it being involved in QOS,and then heavily in SF and SP....
  • RC7RC7
    barryt007 wrote: »
    It wouldn't surprise me if one of the other franchises (possibly the MI series,as Tom Cruise LOVES London) does that before Bond does.
    I cant see BOND25 having anything to do with London after it being involved in QOS,and then heavily in SF and SP....

They used London in RN, although it was probably even more 'I Love London' than SF/SP.
    edited December 2016 Posts: 23,883

They used London in RN, although it was probably even more 'I Love London' than SF/SP.
    Of the recent films, I think Kingsman did a reasonably decent job of it, but there's much more that can be showcased. I'd love to see Bond in a pub.

The did in the original MI as well,back in 1996..again long before the recent Bond films started using London more in TWINE,3 years later.

• RC7RC7

Of the recent films, I think Kingsman did a reasonably decent job of it, but there's much more that can be showcased. I'd love to see Bond in a pub.

Hell, yeah.
  • GBFGBF
    Main location: Japan - the colourful bustling cityscapes of Tokyo or Osaka, the castles, volcanoes, mountains, temples. I would think Japan is both the perfect and obvious choice.
    Other major locations: South Africa or Sri Lanka for some kind of street chase and a bit of sunshine.
    PTS: Australia/NZ - there are plenty of perfect backdrops in both countries, and given that our accents aren't usually considered exotic enough you could have a chase scene with minimal dialogue, hence PTS.
    Canada is another country that surely must be visited soon.

Hmm, which Bond film comes to mind when reading this :-) I only hope they don' try to make Bond disguise as a Japanese ;-)
  • GBFGBF
    edited December 2016 Posts: 3,195
    I think it is one more time for New York. The Trump Tower is perfect as the villain lair.
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    007 IN New YORK.
    Or I really just want a sniping scene set in a historic european city.
  • GBFGBF
    edited December 2016 Posts: 3,195
    I indeed think that NY is perfect. They can simply recycle parts of the DAF plot. A rich US business man (who owns a majestic skyscraper in NY and prefers to stay in it most of the time) is kidnapped by Spectre and secretely replaced by an identically looking villain - let's say Blofeld - who aims to become the next American president in order to destabilse the Western world.
    I don't think its topical enough.
    I think that's too close to the DAF plot tbh...
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Japan, Norway, and Sweden are expensive and glamorous. Therefore I choose them.
  • edited December 2016 Posts: 12,837

Hell, yeah.

Not a film, but the last series of 24 was set in London and (aside from the geography being off at times) I felt like they did a brilliant job of this. It really felt like they made great use of London as a location. You had scenes in the city but it also featured mosques, pubs, etc. You had scenes in the suburbs and scenes on council estates. In fact it was these every day locations most of the action took place, while the usual tourist hotspots were mostly used as backgrounds for the political side of things. The only scene that stuck out as very "look, we're in London!" to me was the Wembley scene but even that had context in the story so it didn't feel too contrived. All in all I thought it was really well done, and a much more authentic feeling portrayal of London than what you'd usually expect from Hollywood (Bond included). To be fair though it was a TV show so they did have more time, but as you said @bondjames, Kingsman had a decent stab at it so I reckon Bond could do better too.
    Speaking of tv shows, I think Sherlock does a pretty good job of it in a modern way too @thelivingroyale. I only mention that show because it has a global following. I'm sure there are others.
  • edited December 2016 Posts: 4,622
    I like Bond's trips to USA.
    Maybe some time in the Colorado Rockies
    Some big city action in the heart of L.A. Hollywood too.
    And as a nod to Fleming's TSWLM, maybe Bond can arrive in Toronto and do battle with Spectre agents, and then travel south through upstate New York, where he might find himself at an isolated motel, with beautiful girl being terrorized by a couple of thugs.
    Bond discovers the motel is actually cover, for a secret underground Spectre base below.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Having a Bond filmed in your own country, or even more so in your own city, is a double edged sword. Obviously it's fun to see the character in familiar settings but can also have the effect of making it somewhat more ordinary. A great deal of my pleasure from the Bond films is getting to see parts of the world that I have yet to, and may never, see in person.

Live and Let Die was filmed, in part, in New Orleans ( my home town). I have to say the city came off as a bit bland, and the waterways where the boat chase was filmed were old hat; I grew up fishing them. Visually they are not very impressive.
    timmer wrote: »
    I like Bond's trips to USA.
    Maybe some time in the Colorado Rockies
    Some big city action in the heart of L.A. Hollywood too.
    I'm ok with the US as a location, although I've not been too happy with the manner in which they've used it in the past (perhaps due to familiarity). If they can make a Bond film set in the USA that uses locations like Hitchcock did in North By Northwest or Vertigo, then I'm all for it. There was something ethereal, mysterious and elegant about the way he did it, and I'm not sure if it's because they are older films.
    talos7 wrote: »
    Having a Bond filmed in your own country, or even more so in your own city, is a double edged sword. Obviously it's fun to see the character in familiar settings but can also have the effect of making it somewhat more ordinary.
    That's definitely true, and Bond films must always have a little bit of the extraordinary in them. I've always thought they could have done a better job in showcasing New Orleans in LALD.
  • GBFGBF
    I think that's too close to the DAF plot tbh...

You are probably right, but I thought that's what happened in the US this year.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Australia and Dubai have never really felt like Bond locations to me. I could be swayed on the former, but the latter is brash, flash, clinical and wealth driven. It's precisely what Bond isn't. It's prefab and tacky in it's garishness. The luxury Bond craves is defined by heritage, authenticity, style and class.

Exactly my thoughts. I would add traditional craftsmanship as well.

Now that we're on it, time for 007 to play another round of golf too.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    barryt007 wrote:
    For me ,Australia would be a fantastic and overdue location,with so many options and scenery .

It's also a location neglected by Bond,maybe even throw in NZ as well.

What do you fellow 007 nerds think would be a good location for Bond to go to ,in this,suddenly ,very important film,due to SP ?

Discuss....

The Great Wall of China needs to feature as proposed for LTK.
    That would be interesting,but I wonder how hard it might be to get a permit from the Chinese,to film there.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Oh, the Chinese will take Hollywood money but they will want to make sure the script it not anti-Chinese.