The Next American President Thread (2016)

Comments

bondjames wrote: »
    I never said I was an expert @TripAces. Just reasonably versed.

The so called 'experts' are the ones who got the US into the mess it now faces there. All bought and paid for my friend.

Oh please, you are not well versed on this subject. Perhaps a refresher course at LSE is needed or maybe sign up for Trump University instead.

It was not Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton who got the U.S. into this mess, it was George W. Bush. Who invaded 2 countries, committed hundreds of thousands of American troops and trillions of $$$, while the country(Saudi Arabia) which supplied 17 of the hijackers was held blameless. The Bush family made sure their Saudi buddies got out of the country fast, permitting them to fly away on private jets while the entire country's airspace was shut down. It was Bush's economic policies which allowed Wall Street and big banks to reap billions while Americans were losing their houses and life savings. The country was losing 750,000+ jobs monthly when Bush left office. Are you taking notes?

Trump, a person who does business gaming the system and lives a short limo ride from Wall Street, appeals to the lowest common base instincts of the American people. He led the birther movement claiming that President Obama is not an American citizen. He has had numerous affairs and claims to be a good Christian. And have you seen the type of people who attend his rallies? Not exactly the best or the brightest American has to offer. Many Trump supporters want to take America back to a day when black people were 3/5 a person, where a woman's job was in the home and people of color could only wash dishes, cut grass or pick up trash.

And what is the I.Q. of these Trump supporters like yourself? Check numerous polls like Gallup and other polling organizations and the results are appalling. Here are just a few:
    * They believe that the sun revolves around the earth.
    * They could not pick out Mexico or Canada on a map.
    * They said the American Revolution was fought to free the country from China.
    * President Obama is a Muslim.

It's widely admitted across all circles, that the average American is not well-informed or educated on political and economic issues. Looks like you have some company. Maybe there's a fellow LSE in there.

• While much of what you say is true, @FLeiter, it must be noted that @bondjames doesn't actually identify the "experts" involved. That's left up to the readers' interpretations...
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    @Fleiter that's a very objective and impressive post. You're obviously far more knowledgeable about most things than I am and must have a very high I.Q., obviously unlike myself. I'm at a loss for how to respond quite frankly, that's how impressive it is.

So I'll just add to my comment from earlier (in italics), and hopefully that will keep you happy:

LSE must indeed stand for "Laughable, Simpleminded & Empty". Just like Trump and his supporters.
  • edited June 2016 Posts: 11,119
    dalton wrote: »
    Gerard wrote: »

It's probably the beginning of his effort to rebrand himself as something other than the racist bigot he's positioned himself so far as, but it's too little, too late. Everyone knows that Trump is the main person behind his campaign and messaging, so this will have little impact. Trump's finally starting to realize that being uncompassionate and boasting about being right in the wake of a national tragedy in addition to the usual bigoted and racist remarks he spews forth on a daily basis are not going to fly with the electorate in a general election.

At least he's kept his promise to get the money out of politics. It's commendable that he's "self-funding" his campaign. 8-|

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/us/general_election_trump_vs_clinton-5491.html

'Political incorrectness', like so many of our western right-wing populists prefer to call it, in the end creates division, violence, hate, destruction and xenophobia.

I know from experience in The Netherlands, that even during Freedom Party's (Geert Wilders) 3 years of (indirect) minority government support, the country basically stood still. 'Political incorrectness' is nice to shake up things.....to remind 'the people' that something's not okay in society. But that's it. The same political incorectness never resulted in good, nuanced governing of a big country and all its difficult, complicated problems.

Men like Donald Trump and Geert Wilders in the end indirectly create these 'lone gunmen' like Thomas Mair and Omar Mateen. Those two men would perhaps not have felt the trigger to gun down people for reasons of self-pityness and psychological instability if they lived in a country with more social cohesion, more political correctness and more tolerance, nuance, and empathy.

Here are actually some nice article that perfectly verbalize what I think:
    http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/20/opinions/trump-political-correctness-zelizer/index.html
    http://www.miamiherald.com/opinion/opn-columns-blogs/leonard-pitts-jr/article84512862.html

Now, for many people in here the above two articles might prove difficult to read. But one has to admit there an important lesson to be learned from this: Stop using the words 'political correctness' if you don't have a clue about what good it has done to society and how easily open a Pandora's box if we abandon those two words or use them to paint off people as weak and ineffective.

One last thing, we can have discussions about Hillary Clinton's way of winning the Democratic primaries, her email 'affairs' and the way she accepts money from Wall Street. But at least her basic ideology on social issues, social cohesion and a society in which everyone has to participate and not just 'the white people', is way way more sound and just as compared to Trump's verbal feces.

And there's another advantage. 'The Bern' is also 'forcing' Clinton a bit into becoming more progressive candidate on all of the above talking points. My vote therefore goes to Clinton. A vote for Trump eventually is a vote for.......well, you know it by now.

And after my last, more serious, relatively unnoticed, yet important post.......I think it's time for some comic relief :-)

• PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    Help us Hillary Clinton. You're our only hope!
    @Fleiter that's a very objective and impressive post. You're obviously far more knowledgeable about most things than I am and must have a very high I.Q., obviously unlike myself. I'm at a loss for how to respond quite frankly, that's how impressive it is.

So I'll just add to my comment from earlier (in italics), and hopefully that will keep you happy:

LSE must indeed stand for "Laughable, Simpleminded & Empty". Just like Trump and his supporters.

"I love the poorly educated." Donald J. Trump

edited June 2016 Posts: 23,883
    FLeiter wrote: »

"I love the poorly educated." Donald J. Trump
    I'll let you in on a little secret. That's what grabbed me from the beginning.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    This mine is fake...but the lasers...are real! ;)
    @Murdock, I was going to respond with "Yo Mama", but sadly that uneducated plebian statement preceded the laser remark in the film.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    @bondjames It's 2016 now, lines can come before and after other lines now. :))
    Then all I can say, despite recent haranguing here, is "You can't kill my dreams".
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Trump is an idiot with a skill: talking to idiots in their own language. I'm not calling YOU an idiot @bondjames, I just think you see more there in him than there is. Call it wishful thinking. :))
    What's hilarious is I'm not even a Trump supporter. I'm just playing devil's advocate, and have been doing for 50+ pages on this thread. Who else has stood up for him here? Where would this thread be otherwise? It's a strongly left leaning forum on here and I figured that out some time back.

The vitriol directed at him is interesting to watch. The arguments even more so.
    It's a strongly left leaning forum on here
    Uhh, not really. It's pretty center.
    :P
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    There is no reason to stand up for, or make excuses for bad things or bad people, in my opinion. It's nice to find good in people, no matter what ... but this thread is about the reality of being president of the United States. It is not about finding redeeming qualities in a person who is terribly, obviously flawed. I could probably find something nice to say about Trump if I tried. That is not the point here.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    There is no reason to stand up for, or make excuses for bad things or bad people, in my opinion. It's nice to find good in people, no matter what ... but this thread is about the reality of being president of the United States. It is not about finding redeeming qualities in a person who is terribly, obviously flawed. I could probably find something nice to say about Trump if I tried. That is not the point here.

I think @bondjames has tried to show most here a different perspective, which can only be good. He came to different conclusions, for show or not, but that's fine too. It's always good to understand the opposition as best as you can, to be able to see where the real dangers lie.
    Thanks @CommanderRoss. That is exactly what I've been trying to do.

There's more to it than that (particularly on the foreign policy side), but I would really be wasting my time here trying to explain it, as the deck is rather stacked, and quite determinedly so by some. There has been very little said here by those so opposed to him that all of us don't already know full well. Unlike his opponent, he is not going out of his way to hide his flaws, but rather, is actually exaggerating them as part of his campaign approach to date.
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Trump is an idiot with a skill: talking to idiots in their own language. I'm not calling YOU an idiot @bondjames, I just think you see more there in him than there is. Call it wishful thinking. :))

Notice how someone who claims to be "well versed" is now running away from it. Apparently making up stories is something new at LSE we were not aware of. Here's Trump's own words about his supporters. Some will deny he's saying this:

Oopss..here's the right one.

FLeiter wrote: »
    chrisisall wrote: »

Notice how someone who claims to be "well versed" is now running away from it. Apparently making up stories is something new at LSE we were not aware of. Here's Trump's own words about his supporters. Some will deny he's saying this:

@Fleiter, I have already told you, I don't have a candle to hold to your knowledge & intellect on these matters. I've truly been shamed into realizing that, and I thank you for it.
    Whereas once I was blind, now I can see.

Thank you. ^:)^
    What's hilarious is I'm not even a Trump supporter. I'm just playing devil's advocate, and have been doing for 50+ pages on this thread. Who else has stood up for him here? Where would this thread be otherwise? It's a strongly left leaning forum on here and I figured that out some time back.

The vitriol directed at him is interesting to watch. The arguments even more so.

Everyone who thinks a bit better...or who tries to think better.....knows that you are planning to vote for Trump. Or that you want to give this organism a mandate. This is not a left or right wing matter for me. I detest every populist who thinks with his balls and talks with his anus. And for me it doesn't matter if that populist is right-wing or left-wing. History is full of examples that eventually brought a left-wing or right-wing populist to power. Maduro from Venezuela is a good example (left-wing), Putin too (right-wing).

The fact now however is, that the biggest populist in US history making the biggest chance to become president, is for whatever reason travelling on the Republican elephant, not the Democratic donkey.

Obviously, in a forum of which the majority consists of rational thinkers, you can expect that the biggest arrows are aimed at Donald Trump.

So, I don't get your 'role of being the devil's advocate'. It's foolish. And it shows that you prefer to trade out your common sense with movie-style analogies. And you're even entertained about it. I.....just don't get you @bondjames. I respect your possible vote for Trump. We live in a democracy. But the democracy is under pressure from foul-mouthed lunatics like Trump and Maduro. I will always critize that.

Good luck standing up for a dangerous populist clown like @bondjames.

Everyone who thinks a bit better...or who tries to think better.....knows that you are planning to vote for Trump. Or that you want to give this organism a mandate. This is not a left or right wing matter for me. I detest every populist who thinks with his balls and talks with his anus. And for me it doesn't matter if that populist is right-wing or left-wing. History is full of examples that eventually brought a left-wing or right-wing populist to power. Maduro from Venezuela is a good example (left-wing), Putin too (right-wing).

The fact now however is, that the biggest populist in US history making the biggest chance to become president, is for whatever reason travelling on the Republican elephant, not the Democratic donkey.

Obviously, in a forum of which the majority consists of rational thinkers, you can expect that the biggest arrows are aimed at Donald Trump.

So, I don't get your 'role of being the devil's advocate'. It's foolish. And it shows that you prefer to trade out your common sense with movie-style analogies. And you're even entertained about it. I.....just don't get you @bondjames. I respect your possible vote for Trump. We live in a democracy. But the democracy is under pressure from foul-mouthed lunatics like Trump and Maduro. I will always critize that.

Good luck standing up for a dangerous populist clown like @bondjames.
    You are wrong on a variety of fronts regarding me. I'm not as linear as you seem to think I am. I just don't let the media, fear, the crowd or ridicule inform my opinions. I also try to remain dispassionate where I can.

Who am I anyway. Just a stupid, ignorant, uneducated Trump supporter allegedly, who doesn't know his head from his arse.

Oh, and we can add a dangerous populist clown to my faults, according to your last statement. Hopefully that was an error.
    @bondjames I think he meant Trump was a dangerous populist clown.
    I figured as much @chrisisall. Phew. One wonders these days. Frayed nerves.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea

He just trumped you on that one ;-)

oh wait, can't make any jokes here can I?

He just trumped you on that one ;-)

oh wait, can't make any jokes here can I?
    Trump jokes are always welcome @CommanderRoss.
    All books concerning Trump's growing fortune end at chapter 11.
    Trump: "Foreign Policy?, if you mess with the United States, there will be hell toupee."
This discussion has been closed.