The Next American President Thread (2016)

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    The message over here is that Trump=Bad, Clinton=Good.

Down here (from your viewpoint) it is:

Clinton is bad.
    Trump is more bad.

Precisely.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Jesus Christ, I've avoided the Presidential Race thread just to keep from getting into this shit!
    I'm certain he forgives you.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Just to be clear, I was referring to the media spin.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    edited May 2016 Posts: 1,727
    As speechless as I am that a human being such as Trump can even be considered as politically viable I have always had the feeling that Hilary is in this position because both Europe and the U.S liberal 'femisphere' influenced agenda is pushing for a female president... ie. she is in this position because of her gender, not so much for her (potential) ability to be in office.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Me too.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Hillary has an electoral college advantage, a demographic advantage, a woman advantage, a minority advantage, a fundraising advantage, a party apparatus advantage etc. etc. The only thing she doesn't have yet is a white male advantage.

She is the clear favourite to be the next president of the United States.

Having said that, I think she has exhibited terrible judgement on the most important foreign policy issues of our time, an area where the president has a lot of control, and an area which will be increasingly important for the next president. This is where leadership and strength are critical. Cojones. This is where I favour Trump because the US will be tested by rogue states (and Russia) throughout the next 4 yrs and they are less likely to mess around with a nuclear powered nation with a leader who projects unpredictability. It's a built in deterrent imho.

The economic agenda and the domestic agenda have already been defined by the primaries, and it is not the Ted Cruz/Jeb Bush/Mitt Romney/Bill Crystol breadcrumb 'trickle down' agenda. It is the Bernie Sanders/Donald Trump (and yes, they are similar on this one front) agenda, which is 'America First' and 'workers first'. Trump has a better shot of getting something done about that in my view, because he will come at it from a business growth and jobs perspective, rather than a handout perspective, which will not pass muster in Congress. You cannot just raise the minimum wage without increasing the # of jobs too. Doing the former alone will result in sackings and hiring of more illegals in many industries.

Despite all the advantages Hills has above, it will be a very close election and will come down to a few swing states as always. The rest is a sideshow. Despite all her advantages, it is Trump's election to lose in my view because she is a piss poor candidate.
    I have read convincing artcles that say Trump can win. (All German language)
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain

How is trump actually even in the running when he alienates most of the female vote and just about all of the non-white electorate..??
    AceHole wrote: »

How is trump actually even in the running when he alienates most of the female vote and just about all of the non-white electorate..??
    I think fundamentally it may be because the electorate looks to have moved on from the triangulated, boiler plate, targeted, pin point issue finessing of the 90's (something Bill Clinton excelled at) to a grand strategic direction focus.

Something George Bush Sr. dismissively called 'The Vision Thing', when explaining why he couldn't articulate one.

This looks to be a 'big picture' election, on account of resentments having pent up over time. 2008 was the same. In such instances, it's not so much about experience or what the vision is, but rather just about throwing the bums out.
    One way Hillary can neutralize Trump and win this thing cleanly without resorting to dirt is to nominate either Powell (a bit stained due to 'yellow cake' at the UN), Petreaus (tainted due to sex scandal) or best of all, Bob Gates as VP. If Gates is the VP pick, it's probably game over imho.
    bondjames wrote: »
    One way Hillary can neutralize Trump and win this thing cleanly without resorting to dirt is to nominate either Powell (a bit stained due to 'yellow cake' at the UN), Petreaus (tainted due to sex scandal) or best of all, Bob Gates as VP. If Gates is the VP pick, it's probably game over imho.

I agree. This election might in fact be decided by the pick of the VP of each candidate.
    If Trump gets Palin, Clinton can win it in her sleep.
    But I think Trump might surprise us all there.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Just voted for the first time in my life, because it's been the only time in my life I've been this sure about a candidate.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Just voted for the first time in my life, because it's been the only time in my life I've been this sure about a candidate.

When are you allowed to vote? In Switzerland it's 18.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    It's 18 here, as well, though there are a handful of states that allow you to vote at 17, I believe.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    1. If Democrats and left-leaning Independents get out and vote, Clinton will win in a landslide.
    2. The "Berners" are the ones who could actually put Trump in the White House. Their childish "Anyone but Hillary" temper tantrum is deflating the party much in the way that Reagan's supporters killed Ford's chances in 1976. Their refusal to get behind Clinton and support the liberal cause (because they erroneously see her as less of a liberal) is creating some chaos and holding back her momentum.
    3. Trump and Clinton are NOT the same person. Not close. Even if you believe that Clinton is a "slave" to Wall Street, which I don't believe she is, her record on civil rights and women's rights is far to the left of Trump's. Anyone who thinks voting makes no difference is not seeing the important role the President will play in the next four years in terms of the Supreme Court. Clinton is a pragmatist on the economy and national security. Her position on fracking is disappointing, but not enough of an issue to make her unelectable.
    4. Benghazi and the email server (sounds like a movie title) will likely hurt her during the general election, if only because of all the noise Trump and the Republicans will make about it. I don't think there's anything there, but ours is a country where perception is reality--unfortunately.
    5. The DNC has a year's worth of Trump soundbytes. Wait till they unleash them in national TV spots. Republicans live in such a bubble that they think the stupid things they do and say won't come back and bite 'em in the rear. It happened to McCain, happened to Romney, and will now happen to Trump in a big way.
    Bernie won West Virginia. It's not over yet. And if Hillary wins in the end, I'll vote for her, as most Bernie fans will. No worries my fellow Earth peeps- the Donald will not prevail except in the hearts & minds of disenfranchised & angry magical thinkers. ;)
    With the advantages Hillary has, which I noted above, there shouldn't be any need to worry at all. Should be a cake walk. Then again....
    I'm pretty sure HC is going to be president. Want Bernie to win though. But... the important thing is Trump does not win.
    The whole world will forever owe Donald Trump!
    He has saved us all from certain doom!!
    Without Trump we would face a President Cruz for the next 8 years I hope people are realising that.

Trump has done the world a great service.

And I'm not saying I want him elected but I'll gladly endure him as President if necessary. The alternative of Cruz would have been too unthinkably horrible.
  • edited May 2016 Posts: 12,276
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Cruz could never have gotten elected.

Same with Trump I'd think. It's beyond me why he has so many supporters (I think the whole thing is a big joke); all I know is Bernie or Hillary had better win.
    That's what everybody said a year ago.
    Now look who will be running in Autumn.
    Amazed that Trump STILL gets underestimated.
    Again, I don't want him, if I were American I'd be a Democrat.

Although that Palin could turn me... in more than one sense :))
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    Hillary is probably going to win.
  • edited May 2016 Posts: 2,341
    Trump and his supporters sing about "Making America Great Again" I don't know what they mean. I asked one of my "Rightie" friends and he could not say exactly where the country needs to go to be "great again". He finally brought up immigration...

Trump is a MF whose grandparents came from Germany; his mother was a Scottish immigrant; his first wife was a Czech immigrant and his present wife is a Slovenia immigrant...

Wait of course: In their minds "immigrants" do not come from Europe. Immigrants only come from Latin America, Africa, Middle East and Southeast Asia.
    Well, modern US was created by European immigrants. The locals, and their culture, were genocidal culled
    I still think the DNC will wise up & choose Sanders. His numbers are growing whilst Clinton's slip....
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    chrisisall wrote: »
    I still think the DNC will wise up & choose Sanders. His numbers are growing whilst Clinton's slip....

Nope. Sanders' numbers are up because he is still spending money and campaigning. And acting like an idiot in the process.
  • edited May 2016 Posts: 1,631
    TripAces wrote: »
    chrisisall wrote: »

Nope. Sanders' numbers are up because he is still spending money and campaigning. And acting like an idiot in the process.

Not to mention angering a good portion of the Democratic party in the process. While I don't find that in and of itself to be a bad thing (the process has been rigged against him to a degree), it does pretty much close whatever small window he had to possibly sneak his way past Clinton for the nomination.

His only hope now is to hang on and hope the FBI recommends charges in the email investigation before the Democratic Convention this summer.
    TripAces wrote: »
    And acting like an idiot in the process.
    Please explain? I don't see it...
    Sanders is probably a better candidate against Trump in the general. However he really hasn't been tested because Clinton has been treating him with kid gloves.

If someone goes negative on him, I suspect his numbers will collapse, outside of the faithful. It's similar to Kasich, who nobody attacked either - so he had high poll numbers.
    bondjames wrote: »
    If someone goes negative on him, I suspect his numbers will collapse
    But how? He doesn't lie, cheat or steal, he has no affairs, no one ever got killed because of him... how can you go negative on a boyscout?
This discussion has been closed.