The Next American President Thread (2016)

Comments

I'm American.

Trump is an abomination -- and an embarrassment.
    Yes, I am indeed blaming the process, @bondjames. And the results of it... It is a huge shame that the most powerfull country in the world can´t manage itself properly. It affects all of us unfortunately. I dread all the carnage it has led to already, and I certainly dread what it can lead to in the future. The madness only seems to grow, and any mishap is always blamed on others, be it Islam, mexicans or whatever, never on the people who are actually responsible: American politicians and American voters. For a young man it is depressing to see the world detoriating before ones eyes, but its sadly the reality, and what can I do about it? :-??
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2016 Posts: 23,883
    @jobo the system is corrupt. It has been for quite a few decades and rules and regulations that used to exist have been removed over time by both consecutive Republican and Democratic administrations to get us to where we are today. There is no more civility in the process any more. No more proper debate.

Ultimately, I believe that this all comes down to money. We have a concentrated media owned by conglomerates with agendas. Additionally, we have politicians owned by conglomerates with agendas (some foreign too....which we don't know about). When the Supreme Court could pass Citizens United, then you know even the law is corrupt.

The system is broken because it doesn't represent the interests of the people any more. The candidates represent their backers first and foremost (and, as I said, foreign interests sometimes over their own citizens).

Trump and Sanders are a reaction to that. One is more civil, and the other is more bombastic, but ultimately they are a reaction to the same problem. The masses have been ignored and lied to for too long, and they've had enough. Either they will get their reform candidate on this round, or they will demand and get someone more extreme next time around.

Ultimately, I don't blame American Politicians and I don't blame American Voters. They are both pawns. I blame American money and unfettered capitalism. In other words, unchecked greed.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    bondjames wrote: »
    @CommanderRoss, as I said above, I respect the choice of the American electorate.

The American political process is a confrontational and competitive (probably the most competitive) system. It has always been that way. It is designed to weed out the weak and reinforce the strong. It is designed to ultimately elect the most authentic of the choices on offer. It will do so again this year. That much is inevitable. It has already dispatched several 'once favoured' candidates who have shown through their own actions that they aren't up to the task of leading the US (Bush, Rubio, Walker etc. etc.)

I'm afraid history will prove you wrong on this matter. It's the inherent flaw in democracy that it seldom concludes with the most authentic or best candidate, but more likely the most appealing/ sexy/ charismatic leader. Or, and that's where Hitler is such a good example, as he wrote it himself in Mein Kampf, the one with the best propaganda. That's how he won. Selling a terrible story, full of lies, in the simpelest and
    consistent way possible. That made him the 'democratic' victor. Which gave him the opportunity to seize power.
    I don't agree with everything he says by any means. I do however agree with some of what he says, including about trade deals, manufacturing job losses, unnecessary illegal wars, government waste etc. and I admire that he has the balls to say it. No other candidate has articulated it as well. Sanders is much better on income disparities, but on the other issues, Trump has been clearer. The others (including Clinton) can't talk about those things because they are a part of the problem and are in fact funded by the problem.

Trade deals? That's funny, as it's the US who's been putting those upon the world, and it's people like Drumpf who've profited the most. I'm sorry, but this guy is selling you stories, not what he really thinks. He's an opportunist lying through his teeth in a charismatic way. He himself has profited the most from all the things he's 'agianst'. He brings exactly what to middle class America? Jobs? How? Healthcare? Steady income? Education? Anything that will actually help you to get a chance in life?

@bondjames I respect your opinion and I understand how fed up you must be with the system that's now in place, and the power politics of career politicians like Hillary. But that doesn't mean that a propaganda guru like Drumpf is the answer. And yes, I understand you like the shake up, but don't be too confident if he turns out to be the candidate he won't win. Don't ever presume any 'sense' in the masses. Am I beeing arrogant? No. I know how easy it is to believe in a story, we're biologically programmed to believe stories, it was a way to survive when numbers were low. And on average that isn't bad, but with propaganda it is. It's easy to turn a blind eye, claiming it won't get that far. History has proven those who claim so wrong. And that has cost millions of lives. Again, yes, the system should change. But voting for the worst result you could hope for so people will 'understand'doesn't work. It kills.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Allot of the problem is your media give you the impression you are the best in the world, I assure you the rest of the world does not share this opinion.

@bondjames:

I struggle to see why the politicians and voters are blameless. They have turned a blind eye and let the financial big boys get all the power. They have bought into trivial propaganda, lies and manipulation. I strongly doubt voting for Trump is an intelligent protest against corruption. I see it as yet more blind and ignorant submission to the propaganda and manipulation from the destructive chiefs you are describing. Seriously, protest against financial strugglehold on supposed "democratic" politics by electing a financial billionaire? :)) Well, that makes sense...
    @CommanderRoss, as I said above, I respect the choice of the American electorate.

The American political process is a confrontational and competitive (probably the most competitive) system. It has always been that way. It is designed to weed out the weak and reinforce the strong. It is designed to ultimately elect the most authentic of the choices on offer. It will do so again this year. That much is inevitable. It has already dispatched several 'once favoured' candidates who have shown through their own actions that they aren't up to the task of leading the US (Bush, Rubio, Walker etc. etc.)

I'm afraid history will prove you wrong on this matter. It's the inherent flaw in democracy that it seldom concludes with the most authentic or best candidate, but more likely the most appealing/ sexy/ charismatic leader. Or, and that's where Hitler is such a good example, as he wrote it himself in Mein Kampf, the one with the best propaganda. That's how he won. Selling a terrible story, full of lies, in the simpelest and
    consistent way possible. That made him the 'democratic' victor. Which gave him the opportunity to seize power.
    What you are describing here is what comes out of any democratic process. More often that not, the more charismatic leader wins. The American process does indeed result more often than not in the more authentic candidate winning. That is a function of the convoluted, messy and terribly arduous process, and the electorate. I have faith in it. It was circumvented by the Supreme Court in 2000, but even then, Bush was and is more authentic than Gore.
    I don't agree with everything he says by any means. I do however agree with some of what he says, including about trade deals, manufacturing job losses, unnecessary illegal wars, government waste etc. and I admire that he has the balls to say it. No other candidate has articulated it as well. Sanders is much better on income disparities, but on the other issues, Trump has been clearer. The others (including Clinton) can't talk about those things because they are a part of the problem and are in fact funded by the problem.

Trade deals? That's funny, as it's the US who's been putting those upon the world, and it's people like Drumpf who've profited the most. I'm sorry, but this guy is selling you stories, not what he really thinks. He's an opportunist lying through his teeth in a charismatic way. He himself has profited the most from all the things he's 'agianst'. He brings exactly what to middle class America? Jobs? How? Healthcare? Steady income? Education? Anything that will actually help you to get a chance in life?
    All that you say is true, but we know that and so does the electorate. They aren't as stupid as you (and many not from the US) seem to think they are. He has even admitted it himself in the debates. He is a businessman and he does what he has to do when acting in that capacity. Can you blame him?

Trump didn't put those trade deals in place. He is against the way they have been negotiated. I agree with him. NAFTA, which was partly responsible for hollowing out the middle class, was implemented by Hillary's husband.
    @bondjames I respect your opinion and I understand how fed up you must be with the system that's now in place, and the power politics of career politicians like Hillary. But that doesn't mean that a propaganda guru like Drumpf is the answer. And yes, I understand you like the shake up, but don't be too confident if he turns out to be the candidate he won't win. Don't ever presume any 'sense' in the masses. Am I beeing arrogant? No. I know how easy it is to believe in a story, we're biologically programmed to believe stories, it was a way to survive when numbers were low. And on average that isn't bad, but with propaganda it is. It's easy to turn a blind eye, claiming it won't get that far. History has proven those who claim so wrong. And that has cost millions of lives. Again, yes, the system should change. But voting for the worst result you could hope for so people will 'understand'doesn't work. It kills.
    @CommanderRoss, if he wins, he wins. If he loses, he loses. I do trust the presidential system to ultimately result in the right choice in the US. It's messy, arduous, and very tough. At the end of the day, the winner has some merits. We're a long way from the finish line and both candidates will be tested very severely in the next few months, particularly with respect to their character and fortitude.

Neither of the choices on the table is ideal, but one at least has a chance to make some long needed changes. The other cannot. As I have said much earlier on this thread, Trump is a risk, but one must take a risk to have a chance for change. Either that or play it safe. No in between here.
    jobo wrote: »
    @bondjames:

I struggle to see why the politicians and voters are blameless. They have turned a blind eye and let the financial big boys get all the power. They have bought into trivial propaganda, lies and manipulation. I strongly doubt voting for Trump is an intelligent protest against corruption. I see it as yet more blind and ignorant submission to the propaganda and manipulation from the destructive chiefs you are describing. Seriously, protest against financial strugglehold on supposed "democratic" politics by electing a financial billionaire? :)) Well, that makes sense...
    I must have mispoke. Of course the politicians who were in government who changed the rules to enable mass concentration of corporate power over the electoral process, the media, and the courts are to blame. Indeed. However, the politicians who are running for office now are just pawns in the system that was created by others (respective 'paid for' Administrations from both parties over the past 35 years).

As I said, Trump and Sanders are a reaction to that concentrated power.

I am not holding Trump's money against him. He is a billionaire. So what? If he is elected to office, that doesn't mean he can't do things which can improve jobs for the masses, or simplify the tax code, or renegotiate trade deals, or stop currency manipulation. I'm not saying he will do these things, but just because he is a billionaire doesn't mean he won't either.

As I've said earlier on this thread, the man has an ego like no other. That ego can be put to good use, because he will want to be remembered well. He doesn't need this job.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    All that you say is true, but we know that and so does the electorate. They aren't as stupid as you (and many not from the US) seem to think they are.
    Well I've visited the US a couple of times, and met quite a few US citizens over here, and I've not been impressed. Mind you, I don't hold our own electorate in high esteem either. You might've heard of Wilders, and he does something similar to Drumpf. The difference beeing that if Wilders comes to power he's got to (1) operate in a multy party system and (2) can only f*ck it up for 17 million people. The stakes on your side are considerably higher. Democracy isn't a good system, it's the best of the worst. in other words, it can go stunningly wrong, but everything else we've come up with had the tendancy to go wrong quicker.
    Trump didn't put those trade deals in place. He is against the way they have been negotiated. I agree with him. NAFTA, which was partly responsible for hollowing out the middle class, was implemented by Hillary's husband.

This falls in the catagory it's easier said then done. Again, the deals were made on behalf of people like Drumpf. Not with the US middle class in mind. Sure, those deals weren't done openly etc. etc. But pretending he could've done it differently is utter nonsense. As I said, this man is bound to make a lot of enemies overseas. And then there won't be trade deals, nor political ones. Defending your interests on the rest of the planet is going to be very hard. The US used to be the side that would be able to bully the rest of the world towards it's own needs, but that's long past now. And Drumpf is set on learning that the hard way.
    Neither of the choices on the table is ideal, but one at least has a chance to make some long needed changes. The other cannot. As I have said much earlier on this thread, Trump is a risk, but one must take a risk to have a chance for change. Either that or play it safe. No in between here.

And here I'm afraid I think you're mistaken. This time de the medicine will be far worse then the ailment. That risk is one you don't want to take!

(who's the conservative now? ;-) )
    As I've said earlier on this thread, the man has an ego like no other. That ego can be put to good use, because he will want to be remembered well. He doesn't need this job.

And what do you think, does an egomaniac consider "well"?
    Like others say, he will be in war with the rest of the world, before you can say His name is Trump, Donald Trump.

And you so often talk about faith in the system. Really?A system that provided Bush. TWICE!!! That was when I stopped believing in the Americans as a thinking species.
    If it was just you then ok, but this impacts the whole world and we are in enough trouble as it is. We don't need another wild man running around touting guns and co.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    @bondjames:

I must have mispoke. Of course the politicians who were in government who changed the rules to enable mass concentration of corporate power over the electoral process, the media, and the courts are to blame. Indeed. However, the politicians who are running for office now are just pawns in the system that was created by others (respective 'paid for' Administrations from both parties over the past 35 years).

I am not holding Trump's money against him. He is a billionaire. So what? If he is elected to office, that doesn't mean he can't do things which can improve jobs for the masses, or simplify the tax code, or renegotiate trade deals, or stop currency manipulation. I'm not saying he will do these things, but just because he is a billionaire doesn't mean he won't either.

Trump's success is NOT a reaction to the status quo. It is a manifestation of the racism, xenophobia, and general outrage of the political right, all of which have been building since the inception of the Tea Party and the rise of Fox News and Conservative talk radio. What we are seeing ("ban muslims from entering the country" / "build a wall to keep out the Mexicans") comes from the right-wing fear machine.
    At the end of the day what I see is a lot of fear of the unknown and a lot of projection of past atrocity (Hitlers and what not) on a man who has not yet done half what people are attributing to him.

The day that the American population succumbs to fear over optimism (and they haven't done that yet - Trump does not represent fear despite what others say - it is the establishment and those who try to stop him who are in fact fearful) is the day the country is finally on its way down.

Obama proved there is 'hope' still. Trump is just a different kind of hope. He is not here to preside over the world. Just the US. The same was true of Obama (although the world projected its hope on him too due to his rhetoric). These are not internationalists. They are nationalists. One was conciliatory (to repair the damage Bush, Cheney & Rumsfeld did) and the other is bombastic.

Regarding Bush being elected twice: That is a function of the alternatives that were provided. Fake Gore (who didn't know who he was in 2000) and Kerry (who got swift-boated). Say what you want about Bush. The man was and is very authentic in his own skin. Everyone knew what they were getting with Bush.
    TripAces wrote: »
    @bondjames:

Trump's success is NOT a reaction to the status quo. It is a manifestation of the racism, xenophobia, and general outrage of the political right, all of which have been building since the inception of the Tea Party and the rise of Fox News and Conservative talk radio. What we are seeing ("ban muslims from entering the country" / "build a wall to keep out the Mexicans") comes from the right-wing fear machine.
    No. It is far more than that, although I realize the Left likes to paint that scenario. It is not only Tea Partiers and Republicans who have been voting for him. Not even (most Tea Partiers and conservatives are with Cruz).

Again, if he is the nominee, you will witness this in the general election.
    Everyone knew what they were getting with Bush.

Yes and exactly THAT makes it so scary, that he got elected again.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Germanlady wrote: »

Exactly.

8-|
    chrisisall wrote: »

Exactly.

8-|
    To clarify, I said authentic. Not correct.

That, sadly, is the lesson that some political operatives and strategists (cough) who advise would be candidates always forget. Be authentic. Don't look like you're a flip flopper or a calculator (or in Bill Clinton parlance, a 'triangulator'). You will go down. That was the lesson of 2004. Kerry was seen to be a flip flopper on National security, which was a concern in that year.

8-|
    To clarify, I said authentic. Not correct.

[/quote]

But that is not the point we made. Point is, you know what you get and choose it nevertheless. There was nobody worse then Bush that year. You may say, people found him authentic. Authentic in what? In his mental illness?

Authentic because the public believed what he said. That he would do what he said. That he was strong. In a period of national security issues, that is important. Additionally, 911 happened on his watch, and the public had some sympathy and memory for how he handled the immediate aftermath, even in 2004, and especially after Bin Laden released a video from his cave just before the election.

I'm not condoning it. I don't have an opinion on it. However, it is what it is and I am commenting on it.

During Bill Clinton's time 'triangulation' was the name of the game politically. Since 911 and especially since income disparity has increased, authenticity is the name of the game. It's more important than being correct.

The electorate knows Trump's weaknesses. There has been several $m of negative attack ads spent against him documenting these weaknesses. Surveys have shown that people are voting for him irrespective of that, because they don't trust the others. Apparently despite his weaknesses, which are primarily his crude obnoxiousness.
    I'm reminded of the tag line from Alien Vs. Predator:
    "Whoever wins, WE LOSE!"
  • bondjames wrote: »

I'm not condoning it. I don't have an opinion on it. However, it is what it is and I am commenting on it.

If you're commenting on it, you're expressing an opinion. Otherwise you're just flapping your lips to generate an empty breeze.
    Can't WAIT to see Bernie surprise everyone & win the Presidency!

If you're commenting on it, you're expressing an opinion. Otherwise you're just flapping your lips to generate an empty breeze.
    When you have something useful to say without resorting to your smart alec insults, I'll pay attention to you.
    But are people NOT able to look beyond what's on the surface? Not at all? Because if they would realise, that politics authentic is lying so cleverly, that it is not visible, if you don't watch closely. Mind you, we have it in Germany and everywhere else.

Its just terribly sad, that mankind isn't learning faster. They might miss the mark.
    But are people NOT able to look beyond what's on the surface? Not at all? Because if they would realise, that politics authentic is lying so cleverly, that it is not visible, if you don't watch closely. Mind you, we have it in Germany and everywhere else.

Its just terribly sad, that mankind isn't learning faster. They might miss the mark.
    It is a matter of degree. A matter of relative credibility. I don't blame the public in total, when we live in an environment where the average citizen is being left behind and with income disparities at an all time high since the 19th century. The system is unsustainable and what we've been seeing over the past few electoral cycles everywhere is a response to it. It will be messy.
    People in general really just aren't that bright is all.
    I know. I work in retail.
    Keep in mind not one Corporate CEO was jailed due to the financial crisis. No regulator lost their job. No one at the banks was penalized. In fact, they received money that was used to pay bonuses. I have a finance background and a degree in Economics so I understand the banking system and its importance as a lubricant for the economy very well, but how they administered the bailouts was wrong from an accountability perspective and both parties were in on it.

A lot of establishment credibility was lost due to that.

That is why 'Wall Street', which Bernie keeps going on about is such a potent issue - still, after all these years, and legitimately so.
  • edited March 2016 Posts: 7,500
    For most sane people Trump is obviously the least authentic of all the candidates! Everything he says is pure populist nonsense to make himself look strong, succesful, play on emotions and manipulate the public mind. If people vote for him for the sake of authenticity, IT tells you all you need to know about these voters. Seriously... But I guess they still are not to blame for anything, in fact they even deserve to be respected...
    For most same people Trump is obviously the least authentic of all the candidates! Everything he says is pure populist monsunsesong to make himself look strong, succesful, play on emotions and manipulate the public mind. If people vote for him for the sake of authenticity, IT tells you all you need to know about these voters. Seriously... But I guess they still are not to blame for anything, in fact they even deserve to be respected...
    If what you say is correct then there will be plenty of opportunity between now and November for that to be laid clearly for everyone to see. As I said earlier, this process works (even though the quality of debate isn't there).

If you're weak or calculating, you will be caught out and you will go down. The media are like hounds when they catch that. Witness Trump's problem re: Duke which was quite damaging for a while.

There may not be quality discussion on the issues, but there are mechanisms in place to catch someone playing for the camera.
    For most same people Trump is obviously the least authentic of all the candidates! Everything he says is pure populist monsunsesong to make himself look strong, succesful, play on emotions and manipulate the public mind. If people vote for him for the sake of authenticity, IT tells you all you need to know about these voters. Seriously... But I guess they still are not to blame for anything, in fact they even deserve to be respected...
    If what you say is correct then there will be plenty of opportunity between now and November for that to be laid clearly for everyone to see. As I said earlier, this process works (even though the quality of debate isn't there).

If you're weak or calculating, you will be caught out and you will go down. The media are like hounds when they catch that. Witness Trump's problem re: Duke which was quite damaging for a while.

There may not be quality discussion on the issues, but there are mechanisms in place to catch someone playing for the camera.

Well, those mecanisms have worked brilliantly so far, haven't they... So well in fact that most other serious competitors (not that they were much better...) have frown in the towell, while Trump's ridiculous lies and mind tricks still work to full affect. The media is indeed doing a great job aren't they, giving Trump so much uncritical coverage... And obviously Trump is not a "pawn in any ones game" is he? He certainly has no powerfull friends in the media and the fanincial world that would benefit from his election does he? If there is one candidate you would trust to run the country with the people in mind and not for the benefit of himself or powerfull, corrupt friends, it is certainly Trump!

Isn't it obvious, @bondjames that the electorial process is terrible, and that those who vote for Trump are mostly ignorant, brain washed people?

Well, those mecanisms have worked brilliantly so far, haven't they... So well in fact that most other serious competitors (not that they were much better...) have frown in the towell, while Trump's ridiculous lies and mind tricks still work to full affect. The media is indeed doing a great job aren't they, giving Trump so much uncritical coverage... And obviously Trump is not a "pawn in any ones game" is he? He certainly has no powerfull friends in the media and the fanincial world that would benefit from his election does he? If there is one candidate you would trust to run the country with the people in mind and not for the benefit of himself or powerfull, corrupt friends, it is certainly Trump!

Isn't it obvious, @bondjames that the electorial process is terrible, and that those who vote for Trump are mostly ignorant, brain washed people?
    @jobo, I will not go so far as to call the people who have voted for Trump ignorant and brain washed. They have their reasons. He has tapped into something, as has Sanders on the other side, and it is real. Visceral. It should not be ignored, because the fact that it is being expressed through the ballot box is better than if it is expressed in other, more dangerous ways.

The other candidates have ignored these large and important concerns of the public. They are fiddling around and dealing in minutia. There are fundamental problems with the American dream, and that is not something one discusses by pissing about on the edges. Wholesale changes are required. First and foremost, income inequality and jobs are #1. This requires bold and ballsy leadership, which in particular must get the support of the heretofore obstructionist Republican Congress because everything goes through them.

I mentioned much earlier on this thread that I expect much more from Trump if he wins the nomination. He is the leader of a movement now. One that he 'accidentally fell' into. Bigger than himself. He has power in his hands, and he has to show us how he plans to use it. All eyes will be on him, assuming he is the nominee, for about 6 months. He has to start to show that he has concrete solutions to the problems which he has correctly identified.

Expectations are quite high. There are many educated people who are waiting to see if he can step up to the moment. If he can, he will be elected. If he can't he will lose big because people won't want to take the risk on him. I am sure of it.
This discussion has been closed.