The Next American President Thread (2016)

Comments

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Somebody on twitter mentioned they had an election playlist. This thread has gotten more musical lately, so maybe some of you would like to share your playlist.
    Here's mine. I'll limit it to 5 songs:

For What It's Worth - Buffalo Springfield (my earlier post had a video)
    R.E.S.P.E.C.T. - Aretha
    War - Bruce
    I Wanna Be Sedated - The Ramones (where I am at the present moment in this election)
    Happy - Pharrell (where I hope to be after Nov. 8th. Hey, I'm a born optimist.)

I Wanna Be Sedated

(Happy)

Meanwhile, Trump and Clinton continue with their final push.
    I suppose we have this to look forward to now (I have not seen it, and I don't want to).
  • edited November 2016 Posts: 6,601
    Germanlady wrote: »
    Brave guys, who finally have the Guts to do whatever is right, before its too late.
    Overall its a terrible Situation, where you have to support a nutcase like trump.

Terrible guys, who feel they have the right to abuse their office by interfering in this fashion with the free & fair elections of their own country. Maybe that's acceptable where you & Herr Drumpf hold your sympathies, but not here in America. Have some Guns with your Roses...

Before reading **** like this, I rather go through the effort of reading your poens and lyrics. Gosh.
    :)) :((

Again - there can't be enough wistleblowers these days. The world NEEDS more truth. They pay a high price, but I say, its worth it. Thank you guys!!!
  • edited November 2016 Posts: 6,601
    Why would anybody feel, this shouldn't come to the light of the day BEFORE the election. Are you so blind and so in your bubble, that you just don't wanna know?
    I know, its hard with Trump as the only other choice, but still...she has already proven, she is a war monger and doesn't give a f***about the people. At least, with Trump, you undermine and irritate the system. That alone speaks for him.
    Thank you, @Germanlady, thank you so much for enlightening me! I see everything so much clearer now, I finaly know the truth! (And by total coincidence it plays right into the hands of the rhetoric on the far right and Trump's campaign...)
    Its much more then Trumps campaign. It plays into his hands, because the Lady did this shit. Not HIS fault, now is it? Nobody forced her, right? You can't blame the other side in using her crimes.

Dissing me seems more important for you guys then giving my posts a fair chance. Maybe something in it could change your opinion about things and give you a better picture. I am sure, it could. Its up to you. I didn't make it, you know, I just post it. Its true, its out there, it can be proven.

It doesn't make Trump a better man, but it shows, WHO this Lady of yours really is.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    It s no coincidence.
    edited November 2016 Posts: 12,459
    Okay. I have not watched all of what Germanlady has posted yet, but I will later. At this point, I think she's rather brave posting anything here at all. I don't agree with the information I have read or viewed on video, put out by certain extreme right pro Trump factions. I have found them to be full of errors and false information.

However, as long as we are discussing, pointing out things to each other in a civil way (whether the other people considers it factual or not), that should be fine for this thread.

We do tend to scoff at each other - but I think that is because of a few things:

~ We genuinely have such a strong difference between the two candidates this year.

~ This election cycle has brought sleeze, contempt, racist, and demeaning slurs direct from a candidate. That is new (at least in 100 years or so, I think). Those words were directed to many people in our society, not just his opponent. This kind of thing will naturally prompt a strong counter reaction from many people.

~ The hatred towards the Clintons (both of them) has been stirred up, prodded, and inflamed for more than 20 years. Honestly, I feel that much of that has been built on lies and gross exaggerations or personal grudges. They have their faults and I am not saying they are blameless (no, not saying that at all) - but I do feel the amount of outright hatred is misplaced, out of proportion. Yes, hatred of the Clintons is a real factor.

~ We are nearing the end of this scummy, embarrassing debacle of an election year. As we see the end in sight, it is easier to let loose with emotions (good and bad). We see that finish line and personally, I just want to break thru it.

~ Because we care, damn it. This is an important election which will have strong ramifications for our country (and others). That brings strong emotions. This is not a "meh" .... I'll sit this one out kind of election.

I don't agree so far with Germanlady on politics, from what I can discern at this point. But I respect her for caring enough, really believing in something enough to continue to post here. I say that because I do not feel she is doing that to antagonize or irritate others. I think she believes many things are hidden and we cannot see them and she is just trying to get us to think of other possibilities. So, I cannot say you have persuaded me to anything other than what I already believe, @Germanlady, but please stay with us till the end if you'd like to and keep speaking your mind.

What did @chrisisall say at the beginning of this thread? He had faith in us. ;)
    He said: Let's keep it cool. We can do it.

Let's try to do that. Couple of more days, folks.
    :)>-
    I'm going to go listen to my playlist now. Cheers!
    Thanks 4Ever for your words. You got my intentions right, because I strongly believe, that only knowledge of truth can and will change this world.

What I don't understand is - how can you (you all) be so sure, the content of my posts is crap? What if it is the truth (I believe, they give a lot of detailed info and proof). Does it matter, who will gain anything from it? Trump is being grilled from Clinton and Co and visa versa. But I do believe, an Assange is Not - like me - FOR Trump. He just wants to let people know NOW, who they vote for.
    I have seen some videos and read content by far right extreme Trump supporters and before that by groups who have openly hated the Clintons for years. So much has been proven to be false (you can check various sites that fact check, or look up long search on other news outlets). Even so, I will keep doing my own research.

I am very much against Assange. To put it politely. And I say that as someone who cares about and respects whistleblowers. He has many agendas, I feel. I don't care to debate about him here. But that is my basic opinion on him.
    Can you give me just one example of what sort of group or info you mean, so i can get the picture.
  • So because the Saudis and Qatar gave money to both ISIL and the Clinton Foundation, that means the rogue elements at the FBI are justified in subverting our election process? Nonsense. Lots of American businessmen -- like the Donald-- give money to both the Democrats & Republicans at the same time, they're just hedging their bets. Henry Ford worked with the American military as well as working with Nazi Germany. (He was also a noted anti-Semite. It didn't mean that he made bad cars, just that his politics sucked. The FBI never tried to goose the sales of Chevrolets to get back at him.) Business and politics have a long history of mixing like oil and water. Sometimes you just need to add a little balsamic and you get a nice salad dressing.

Here's one you may like. No lyrics at all. Just some soothing music, from Dylan's "Self-Portrait." https://vid.me/jMHK/bob-dylan-wigwam
    @Germanlady

- "It is the truth. It can be proven."

How exactly? I am intrigued... I agree with 4ever that you are indeed brave claiming to be knowing the "truth" about our political landscape based on some very non convincing videos on YouTube. There are endless fields of ridiculous propaganda and conspiracy theories in American politics. Yet somehow, this is just "true", "take our word for it". The same word of those who claim Obama is a muslim and the founder of ISIS? Bush was behind 9/11? Hillary is an alien, the Antichrist, and the devil in one? That Trump has raped a twelve year old girl?

- "The lady did this shit".

What "shit" exactly? What I hear is a string of accusations that ammount to basically no more than speculation. They have investigated her for more than twenty years and have so far found no evidence of any wrongdoing. And its definitely not for lack of trying... It is the same way the conservative propaganda machine deals with any progressive adversary. Until there is actual evidence of any wrongdoing and illegal activity, you and your tea party friends can bark as much as you want. Because if someone definitely has proven to be untrustworthy, its you lot...

What we know of Hillary is that she is a pragmatic politician. For some that is a crime in itself these days. I don´t see a problem with it.
  • Somebody on twitter mentioned they had an election playlist. This thread has gotten more musical lately, so maybe some of you would like to share your playlist.
    Here's mine. I'll limit it to 5 songs:

For What It's Worth - Buffalo Springfield (my earlier post had a video)
    R.E.S.P.E.C.T. - Aretha
    War - Bruce
    I Wanna Be Sedated - The Ramones (where I am at the present moment in this election)
    Happy - Pharrell (where I hope to be after Nov. 8th. Hey, I'm a born optimist.)

I Wanna Be Sedated

(Happy)

Thanks for these, @4Ever. "Happy" is very nice, 4 minutes of my time well spent. I was already familiar with "Sedated," of course -- but the clip you supplied also included "The KKK Took My Baby Away," a song I was unfamiliar with so thanks for that and I'm sure there was no deeper meaning to that inclusion.

I'm going back to bed now, here's "Bob Dylan's Dream":

While riding on a train goin' west
    I fell asleep for to take my rest
    I dreamed a dream that made me sad
    Concerning myself and the first few friends I had

With half-damp eyes I stared to the room
    Where my friends and I spent many an afternoon
    Where we together weathered many a storm
    Laughin' and singin' till the early hours of the morn

By the old wooden stove where our hats was hung
    Our words were told, our songs were sung
    Where we longed for nothin' and were quite satisfied
    Jokin' and talkin' about the world outside

With hungry hearts through the heat and cold
    We never thought we could ever get old
    We thought we could sit forever in fun
    But our chances really was a million to one

As easy it was to tell black from white
    It was all that easy to tell wrong from right
    And our choices they was few so the thought never hit
    That the one road we traveled would ever shatter and split

How many a year has passed and gone?
    Many a gamble has been lost and won
    And many a road taken by many a first friend
    And each one I've never seen again

I wish, I wish, I wish in vain
    That we could sit simply in that room again
    Ten thousand dollars at the drop of a hat
    I'd give it all gladly if our lives could be like that

This rendition by Bryan Ferry:
    Your FBI is just now
    So because the Saudis and Qatar gave money to both ISIL and the Clinton Foundation, that means the rogue elements at the FBI are justified in subverting our election process? Nonsense. Lots of American businessmen -- like the Donald-- give money to both the Democrats & Republicans at the same time, they're just hedging their bets. Henry Ford worked with the American military as well as working with Nazi Germany. (He was also a noted anti-Semite. It didn't mean that he made bad cars, just that his politics sucked. The FBI never tried to goose the sales of Chevrolets to get back at him.) Business and politics have a long history of mixing like oil and water. Sometimes you just need to add a little balsamic and you get a nice salad dressing.

Of course, they are right in doing this. IF it subverts the election process - so what? Is it wrong to shed light on things?

As for proof - I am not that familiar with english speaking trustworthy adresses, I could post endlessly. I once posted something for Jason in German. But my sources are basically in German of people, I feel are trustworthy. Once in a while I stumble across something in English, which I post, if I believe, its interesting and true.

@Beatles - apparently you didn't get the meaning. The Saudis and Co funded ISIS and gave huge amounts of money to the Clinton foundation. For that, they got the biggest arms deal ever back, which again went to ISIS. What is it, that you don't understand? That Clinton didn't know, what the arms were for? Naaa, not even you believe that. Providing arms for the Middle East in the first place is a VERY bad idea. But they want gas and oil. Nothing else is of interest there. Do you agree? etc etc...
    Shame on Wikileaks for exposing how they laundered their proxy war funding.
    Shame on Wikileaks for exposing how they laundered their proxy war funding.

Yes, damn them for it.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    If we're sharing music, I'll post some tunes that are either very strong in their political content, speak of a better world (for some much needed hope) or that match the mood I've had for the last two years, ie. one of anxiousness, some numbness, hopelessness and very much scared shitless of change:

And I'll finish it off with a bit of Irish-style togetherness:

Police has arrested an armed man in Reno, Nevada, who tried to attack Trump during a rally.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Watch out this Trump suposed attempted shooting could be just an attempt to gain sympathy, anyone seen Bob Roberts?

I've seen parallels between Tim Robbins fictional charismatic right wing Bob Dylan like politician.
  • edited November 2016 Posts: 3,564
    Of course, they are right in doing this. IF it subverts the election process - so what? Is it wrong to shed light on things?

Of course they are wrong in doing this. Here's the way the American system works: Politicians write the laws. Police enforce the laws. The judiciary interpret the laws. When each part of the system does their job, the system works. When one tries to do the other's job, the system is out of whack & it breaks down. The question of whether or not Hillary broke the laws as they are written, or simply used the system to her benefit, is not a question for the FBI (police) to answer. It's a question before the judiciary to interpret the laws as they are written, and the politicians to fix if we the people have decided we don't like the existing laws. "If it subverts the process, so what?" That's when you get tyranny and totalitarianism and all sorts of other stuff that is antithetical to the American way. If the American way results in arms sales to rotten no-goodnicks all over the world (and yes, I'm sorry but it does) then that's just business as usual. I don't like it, but that's just the way it is (see the Bruce Hornsby song above, nice choice @0Brady!) I'd prefer to change it by using the existing avenues of change. They do exist. Trump and his supporters would rather break the system into a thousand pieces, so that a single Strong Man and his armed bully boys can do whatever they feel like doing and you evidently prefer that way of doing things. I think you're terribly, terribly wrong and my only response (other than writing responses like this which you're obviously going to ignore) is to sing a song of freedom.

My only complaint with most Byrds' versions of Dylan songs is that they tended to only use one or two verses when Dylan would write five. They were trying to get AM radio play, of course, so 2 1/2 minutes worth of the song was all they could use. But this one's got some nice poetic imagery, for those who can be bothered, here it is:

"The Chimes of Freedom"

Far between sundown's finish an' midnight's broken toll
    We ducked inside the doorway, thunder crashing
    As majestic bells of bolts struck shadows in the sounds
    Seeming to be the chimes of freedom flashing
    Flashing for the warriors whose strength is not to fight
    Flashing for the refugees on the unarmed road of flight
    An' for each an' ev'ry underdog soldier in the night
    An' we gazed upon the chimes of freedom flashing

Through the city's melted furnace, unexpectedly we watched
    With faces hidden as the walls were tightening
    As the echo of the wedding bells before the blowin' rain
    Dissolved into the bells of the lightning
    Tolling for the rebel, tolling for the rake
    Tolling for the luckless, the abandoned an' forsakened
    Tolling for the outcast, burnin' constantly at stake

Through the mad mystic hammering of the wild ripping hail
    The sky cracked its poems in naked wonder
    That the clinging of the church bells blew far into the breeze
    Leaving only bells of lightning and its thunder
    Striking for the gentle, striking for the kind
    Striking for the guardians and protectors of the mind
    An' the poet and the painter far behind his rightful time

In the wild cathedral evening the rain unraveled tales
    For the disrobed faceless forms of no position
    Tolling for the tongues with no place to bring their thoughts
    All down in taken-for-granted situations
    Tolling for the deaf an' blind, tolling for the mute
    For the mistreated, mateless mother, the mistitled prostitute
    For the misdemeanor outlaw, chaineded an' cheated by pursuit

Even though a cloud's white curtain in a far-off corner flared
    An' the hypnotic splattered mist was slowly lifting
    Electric light still struck like arrows, fired but for the ones
    Condemned to drift or else be kept from drifting
    Tolling for the searching ones, on their speechless, seeking trail
    For the lonesome-hearted lovers with too personal a tale
    An' for each unharmful, gentle soul misplaced inside a jail

Starry-eyed an' laughing as I recall when we were caught
    Trapped by no track of hours for they hanged suspended
    As we listened one last time an' we watched with one last look
    Spellbound an' swallowed 'til the tolling ended
    Tolling for the aching whose wounds cannot be nursed
    For the countless confused, accused, misused, strung-out ones an' worse
    An' for every hung-up person in the whole wide universe
    In the best of worlds, it MIGHT work like this. But we are as far removed from that right now, as it gets. What they do is help to shed light on hidden affairs and that can only be GOOD! Period.

• @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7: Thanks for your playlist. I especially appreciated the couple I hadn't heard before, Langhorne Slim and The Wolfe Tones. Haven't heard "Ooooh Child" in a long time, so that was a nice addition too. "Why Can't We Be Friends?" indeed...
  • edited November 2016 Posts: 3,564
    In the best of worlds, it MIGHT work like this. But we are as far removed from that right now, as it gets. What they do is help to shed light on hidden affairs and that can only be GOOD! Period.

Wikileaks may well be shedding the light, Trump is only bringing the dark. Cast out the dark!

"He not busy being born is busy dying."
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    So because the Saudis and Qatar gave money to both ISIL and the Clinton Foundation, that means the rogue elements at the FBI are justified in subverting our election process? Nonsense.

So, you actually think that the same people giving money to Clintons and ISIL (the ones who are performing terrorist acts) is no big deal?

I think you people really need to watch this and start realising what kind of people you have, and you're about to put in your government.

• Police has arrested an armed man in Reno, Nevada, who tried to attack Trump during a rally.

Ah...no. According to the most recent reports, he had no weapon and wasn't doing anything but quietly protesting. Obama defended the pro-Trump protester at his rally and HE'S THE ACTUAL PREZ AND A BLACK GUY TO BOOT so if anybody's got a reason to be afraid of an assassination attempt it's him. Trump's people can't handle a single indication that maybe somebody doesn't agree with him, so they flip out & rush their guy out of sight only to bring him back out a few minutes later. Pay no attention, nothing really to see here, just our own paranoia in naked display...

This one gets Bob with The Band, Ringo Starr, Ron Wood, Joni Mitchell, Neil Young, Van Morrison and more at The Last Waltz: "I Shall Be Released." As shall we all, any day now...

Apparently, it's a mortal sin to vote Democrat. Italy in the 50s ? No, San Diego :

https://washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/11/04/mortal-sin-to-vote-democratic-says-san-diego-catholic-church-linking-hillary-clinton-to-satan/

I wish it were a Don Camillo story, but unfortunately...
This discussion has been closed.