The Next American President Thread (2016)

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @BeatlesSansEarmuffs, it's true that I've really heard no response to the debate outcome from Trump supporters, which is interesting-not that I go looking for their thoughts on the matter.

I don't think any minds have been changed yet, however.
  • Among other sources, I keep track of Slate.com's Trump Apocalypse Watch, assessing on a daily basis the odds that Donald Trump will be elected president, thus ushering in the Apocalypse, in which case we will all die. A couple of weeks ago, the T.A.W. was up to two entire horsemen (four horsemen being the full complement, of course.) Today, it's down to a measly 1/2 horseman. We can breathe easily at present, but the watch must be maintained!
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Damn. I'd better get my Seaview model done fast. Just in case Damien/Donald get elected.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    @BeatlesSansEarmuffs, it's true that I've really heard no response to the debate outcome from Trump supporters, which is interesting-not that I go looking for their thoughts on the matter.

I don't think any minds have been changed yet, however.

likewise.... in lieu of an awful awful debate from Trump, where he looked like an out of control child - Trump supports have been relatively quiet... their support is still for him, but they are less vocal about it, because for the first real time - when it's mattered - their guy looked weak in the face of adversity.. and instead of combating Hilary with facts and staying on point, he resorted to elementary grade school behavior... and instead of owning up to his poor performance, he blamed everyone including the moderator and yes, even his microphone for his performance.. and he was also caught lying just minutes after the debate.. when in the debate he said "because I'm smart" when the subject of his not paying taxes was brought up, after the debate when asked about it, he said "no, I didn't say that." ..... Bernie Sanders was 100% correct when he said the man is a pathological liar...... I just honestly don't know how anyone can still be supporting him at this point unless they are indeed closet racists, bigots, chauvinists, and homophobes.... i know a decent percentage are just one who don't like Hilary - which is understandable... but even i have no love loss for Hilary, but she is a far better option at this point in time than Donald "Mein Fuerer" Trump.
    Among other sources, I keep track of Slate.com's Trump Apocalypse Watch, assessing on a daily basis the odds that Donald Trump will be elected president, thus ushering in the Apocalypse, in which case we will all die. A couple of weeks ago, the T.A.W. was up to two entire horsemen (four horsemen being the full complement, of course.) Today, it's down to a measly 1/2 horseman. We can breathe easily at present, but the watch must be maintained!

Don´t be too optimistic. @bondjames will soon explain to us how Trump is in full control, how the debate performance was meticulously planned and his ramblings well thought out, not to mention what a reasonable and noble person he is...
    I fail to understand, why you people are not able to see that, if you compare two idiots, even the one idiot you favour, still remains an idiot. So, if bondjames or I or whoever is going after Clinton more then after Trump, its not a sign, that we don't see all the crap, HE is doing as well. But the good people of America have given us those two wonderful choices. Not our fault. Well, not mine here in Europe at least. So, maybe get off our back and concentrate on further illusions about Clinton.

Because I could understand, that some might prefer her, but painting a wonderful, exquisite picture of her, is just plein stupid.
    Germanlady wrote: »
    I fail to understand, why you people are not able to see that, if you compare two idiots, even the one idiot you favour, still remains an idiot. So, if bondjames or I or whoever is going after Clinton more then after Trump, its not a sign, that we don't see all the crap, HE is doing as well. But the good people of America have given us those two wonderful choices. Not our fault. Well, not mine here in Europe at least. So, maybe get off our back and concentrate on further illusions about Clinton.

Because I could understand, that some might prefer her, but painting a wonderful, exquisite picture of her, is just plein stupid.

Who has? The attacks on the Clintons have been pretty hard on this thread, the general consensus is that she is in no way a dream choice. I think we all agree this is a matter of choosing the lesser evil. I don´t really know who you are trying to enlighten...

However, when the claim is that she is an alcoholic, based on basically no proff whatsoever, it is not exactly fruitful for the debate...

Maybe if we all stop being sarcastic, understanding might get easier.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited October 2016 Posts: 23,883
    @jobo, I'd prefer if you not put words in my mouth. I have commented on the debate after it took place and you should go back and read the comments before making unsubstantiated remarks like this. I have also commented on what would transpire in the next few weeks, and we are seeing it take place at this present time.

There have been many instances on this thread when I have indicated that the public has two bad choices, as @Germanlady has also noted.

Of these two choices, I strongly prefer Donald Trump as of now. I'm probably in the minority, as I think this thread is probably 90/10 in favour of Clinton (I think I'm being generous).

Your characterization of what I have said and how I've said it is inaccurate, and is beneath you.
    I honestly think Hillary Clinton isn't a bad choice. On the contrary. She's more feared abroad than, let's say, Obama. Especially by world leaders with strong 'maso' traits, like Putin.

I prefer a president with bucket loads of experience over a junior senator (Obama) or a businessman (Trump). So I think the choice is much clearer: An experienced woman who started her career by prosecuting those people who started Watergate and by defending young children with health problems (1970's) OR a man who was born in a crib with silver and gold linings on its sheets.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited October 2016 Posts: 4,554
    Germanlady wrote: »

In any objective sense, HRC has done NOTHING out of the political norm.

The email server scandal is bogus. The previous SoS, Colin Powell set one up in similar fashion and even gave HRC advice on how to do it.
    The deletion of emails scandal is bogus, as it is also something we've seen here lots of times, notably in the Bush administration.
    The Benghazi controversy is bogus. Our embassies and outposts get attacked regularly. It's never been turned into political firepower like this.

None of these "controversies" would be controversies if HRC were a man. The conservatives hate her, always have, and they have attacked her mercilessly in ways no other pol has had to endure. I often hear her described with the B word and C word by my conservative friends. Make no mistake, the portrait painted of her by the Right is tinted with misogyny.

Who do you think will come out on top in the VP debate tonight?
    If Hilary is not completely loosing it, she will win. She is the better tactic, she knows how to talk well, bs or not. If I was her, I would just sit back and wait until HE looses it.
    Right now, I am almost not having any preferences anymore. One is a disaster as well as the other.
  • Germanlady wrote: »
    If I was her, I would just sit back and wait until HE looses it.

Oh, GL, now you're bringing the spicy talk to THIS thread as well!
  • RogueAgent wrote: »
    Who do you think will come out on top in the VP debate tonight?

Not goin' there. Just not goin' there...
  • edited October 2016 Posts: 11,119
    You know. coming back to the last debate, I agree it wasn't good content-wise. I just wished both presidential candidates went down into more specifics, better explanations of their plans.

But sjee guys and girl, regardless of that pivotal element missing, one can actually see the styles of both candidates on display. And having said that, Donald Trump worries me the most. This man reacts like a spoiled kid being bitten by an insect. I'm actually surprised that no one is referring to that.

Do you want a cold, measured, experienced, slightly boring, but still shrewd, tactical heavyweight? Or do you prefer a passionate, yet unprepared, unnuanced hothead whose temperament can seriously cause problems during negotiations on the world stage and also back home?

It staggers me that a lot of people in here still would answer the latter question with "Yes".
    Do you want a cold, measured, experienced, slightly boring, but still shrewd, tactical heavyweight? Or do you prefer a passionate, yet unprepared, unnuanced hothead whose temperament can seriously cause problems during negotiations on the world stage and also back home?

It staggers me that a lot of people in here still would answer the latter question with "Yes".
    I'm right there with ya, my friend.
    As a non-American, and only a casual observer of US politics, I apologise if this is clear to everyone else - but I'm unclear as to the policies of the two candidates, where they differ and where they are similar

All I ever see is personal insults.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Troy wrote: »
    As a non-American, and only a casual observer of US politics, I apologise if this is clear to everyone else - but I'm unclear as to the policies of the two candidates, where they differ and where they are similar

Don is all about walls, and Hillary isn't. That's the whole of it.
    Troy wrote: »

Don is all about walls, and Hillary isn't. That's the whole of it.

Not the whole, but basically in a nutshell.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    As far as the VP debates tonight go, I'm embarrassed to say that I live in the state Pence used to be governor of.
    As far as the VP debates tonight go, I'm embarrassed to say that I live in the state Pence used to be governor of.

And he was totally awesometacular, wasn't he, @Agent007391?
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    You could say that.
  • edited October 2016 Posts: 3,564
    @Troy: the reason you're only seeing personal insults is because that's about all Trump has to offer. He's a Personality, not a politician, and policies aren't his strength. His Persona is all he has to offer and he pretty much ruled the Republican primaries on the strength of his personality. Now that the election is getting close enough for the mass of the public to be paying attention, the (roughly) 40% of the electorate that are determined to vote Republican even if their candidate is a rabid hyena are sticking with him...but the rest of us are recoiling in horror. The (roughly) 40% of the electorate that are dedicated Democrats are treating him as something of a sick joke...and the remaining 20% that actively determine the outcome of American elections are left to wade through the sewage that has become our political process. Again, blame the cult of personality -- the Republicans have hated Hillary since her husband was President and they've been actively trying to smear her since 1992. Tell a lie long enough and sooner or later people will start to believe it. If Vince Foster's suicide can't be turned into a smoking gun in Hillary's hand then we'll just have to find something else. Whitewater? Benghazi? Those damned E-mails? Whatever it takes...
    edited October 2016 Posts: 17,687
    Hillary is female. That's way scarier than light black. Sexism trumps racism. And possibly Stupidism...
  • Nothing trumps Stupidism.
  • WillardWhyteWillardWhyte Midnight Society #ProjectMoon
    Let me get this straight, you people are complaining about Trump not paying taxes (which he did legally), but don't have an issue that people like Hillary and other career politicians are the ones that put these tax breaks and loop holes in place to appease their own big backers....unreal.
    Let me get this straight, you people are complaining about Trump not paying taxes (which he did legally), but don't have an issue that people like Hillary and other career politicians are the ones that put these tax breaks and loop holes in place to appease their own big backers....unreal.
    You are not wrong, but we are dealing with issues of 'normal' chaos vs. nuclear destruction here....
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited October 2016 Posts: 4,554

1. HRC didn't put those loopholes into place.
    2. Notice that Trump used a tax loophole in the mid-90s. That is important because that's coming out of the era in which the uber-wealthy had the notion that the world revolved around them. You can thank Ronnie for that.
    3. The legality of Trump's taxes evasion is only an issue because at the same time he is whining about the crumbling infrastructure, most notable LaGuardia Airport; at the same time he is complaining about border control; and at the same time he is complaining about military power (or lack thereof). Yet he has likely paid NOTHING toward those endeavors. It points out the very problem we have: that the wealthy do NOT pay their fair share and yet want a greater say in how the country spends OTHER people's money. It's unreal.
  • edited October 2016 Posts: 1,469
    I saw the VP debate and agree with some commentators that it probably won't alter the direction of the race much--but you never can tell. I have mixed feelings about the debate. Sometimes I just wanted Kaine to shut the hell up, yapping on and on, interrupting Pence so often. He seemed emotional and jittery. But I have to admit that Kaine was very well-prepared and attacked Pence well, so I would give him the debate. Pence on the other hand was more measured and seemed more presidential--between him and Kaine, I think Pence would have a better temperament if he had to become president--but I think he was too laid back, didn't show enough backbone. However, as someone who's been a Democrat most of his life (but now moderate), I disagree with some things Pence stands for.
This discussion has been closed.