licence to kill: best bond film ever????

123457»

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited January 2015 Posts: 17,691
    I'm sorry I don't see CR following Bourne.
    It was a generic influence in tone rather than film-making style I think.
    Back on topic:
    LTK was the brutal sh*t before Bourne was even born. :))
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    At least Craig's Bond films have managed to show that they could do Bourne and Nolan's style but even better.
  • chrisisall wrote: »
    I'm sorry I don't see CR following Bourne.
    It was a generic influence in tone rather than film-making style I think.
    Back on topic:
    LTK was the brutal sh*t before Bourne was even born. :))

Thankyou! But I suppose Cubby Broccoli was clairvoyant and ripped off the Bourne films 13 years before they came out.
    Murdock wrote: »
    At least Craig's Bond films have managed to show that they could do Bourne and Nolan's style but even better.
    Again, agreement!!!
    L-)
    First off, I enjoy this movie. I saw it twice in theaters in the summer of 89. However, would having Dalton's James Bond quitting and going off the reservation have been more effective as his third or fourth movie, instead of his second? We've just met Dalton's Bond and we have barely gotten comfortable with him before the rug is pulled out from us. I almost wish we could've had more time to set Dalton up as Bond before he gets thrown out on his keester. Thoughts?
    I think they wanted to push the envelope in the face of the R-rated competition of the day. Yeah, I agree that it would have been better to get to know Dalton's Bond better before a severe move like this, but better to have it as we did than not at all IMO!
    Wow. A lot wrong here..Bond AGAIN compared to Jason Bourne, Dalton beating Connery, Craig tying with Pierce, and Moore beating out of last place. WOW.

Yes absolutely. Also Quantum of Solace is awful. Some people have made a case for it, but I just don't buy it. Finally, License to Kill is a great film, top 10, but definitely not #1.
    Also Craig is better than Dalton. Sorry.
    Getafix wrote: »
    Well Babs and pretty much everyone involved in Bond have referenced Bourne as at least one reason behind the reboot. Even Brosnan has acknowledged it. You can deny it all you want but it's a simple fact that Bourne rewrote the rule book and EON were scrambling to catch up.

likewise Mendes has explicitly referenced TDK as an inspiration for SF.

When did Wilson and Broccoli reference Bourne? Ofcourse Brosnan said that but that was just his childish and jealous response to being fired. I'm sorry I just don't see enough similarities between CR and Bourne to acknowledge any kind of trend being followed especially since that was the third time the Bond franchise made that OTT to serious transition. The timing just happened to match. Again Bourne didn't invent serious the same way Christopher Nolan didn't invent dark.

I'll admit LALD followed the blaxploitation trend and Moonraker followed the Star Wars trend but I'm sorry I don't see CR following Bourne.

This is the best I could find with a short search, but there are plenty more.

https://hmssweblog.wordpress.com/tag/jason-bourne-influences-on-james-bond-films/
    Ottofuse8 wrote: »
    More sorry, nobody does it better than Dalton.
    ;)
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 6,601
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Ottofuse8 wrote: »
    More sorry, nobody does it better than Dalton.
    ;)

Daltin should read these boards to see, how people try to build his case as being a great Bond. I am sure, he would appreciate it and tried his best, but he couldn't convince audiences back then of it. And I doubt, it was the darkness of the films. He lacks the certain sparkle IMO, the sparkle that would connect with the audiences. The sparkle, that would make him interesting for them. All the others had it.
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 3,279
    LTK is one of the best Bond films, its in my top 5. It really feels like it could have been written by Fleming, probably moreso than many of the films that adapted the novels.

It's a fair comment that LTK lacked some of the class and style that we had come to expect, yet I don't really notice it because the storyline and Dalton are so strong in the film.

Many have observed before that it is loosely based on TMWTGG novel (Sanchez even shares the same initials), and is one of only two Bond films where we see Bond go undercover to get close to the villain (OHMSS being the other one).

This is what makes the film perfect for me. I would love to see another Bond film where he goes undercover again to get close to the villain, maybe this time even call himself Mark Hazard.

• edited February 2015 Posts: 1,595
    Murdock wrote: »

You'd be hard pressed to find many people, outside of this forum, who believe QUANTUM OF SOLACE to be of superior quality to THE BOURNE SUPREMACY.
    You'd be hard pressed to find many people, outside of this forum, who believe QUANTUM OF SOLACE to be of superior quality to THE BOURNE SUPREMACY.
    But the fact that LTK is better than both of them is basically indisputable. :D
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Too much to address, so some random thoughts based on great stuff in previous posts:

1. I don't think many people say Dalton is NOT a great Bond. They are ALL great in their own way. To me, a couple (Connery and Craig) are just better.
    2. I mentioned this somewhere else, but it's no coincidence that Bourne Identity and Austin Powers: Goldmember were released only a few months before what turned out to be Brosnan's last Bond.
    3. I like LTK, wouldn't put it top 5. Maybe Top 10. I enjoy it more than TLD. Sanchez is an underrated villain, Dario an underrated henchman.
    TripAces wrote: »
    I like LTK, wouldn't put it top 5.
    I promise I will not hold this momentary lapse of judgement against you for the long haul here.
    I used to not like Dalton's films much myself.
    :-O
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    chrisisall wrote: »
    I like LTK, wouldn't put it top 5.
    I promise I will not hold this momentary lapse of judgement against you for the long haul here.
    I used to not like Dalton's films much myself.
    :-O

1-4 (four-way tie): CR, GF, SF, TB
    5 YOLT

Tough to crack that top 5. :D
    LTK = Miami Vice light

I heard even Bruce Wayne was not even worried about the movie, he found the leading man somewhat bland. And it was supposed to be Bond. ;)

The best reason to get any license revoked.
    Too much to address, so some random thoughts based on great stuff in previous posts:

1. I don't think many people say Dalton is NOT a great Bond. They are ALL great in their own way. To me, a couple (Connery and Craig) are just better.
    2. I mentioned this somewhere else, but it's no coincidence that Bourne Identity and Austin Powers: Goldmember were released only a few months before what turned out to be Brosnan's last Bond.
    3. I like LTK, wouldn't put it top 5. Maybe Top 10. I enjoy it more than TLD. Sanchez is an underrated villain, Dario an underrated henchman.

Interesting observation.

Anyway, I think LTK is underrated outside these forums, but here it may be overrated.
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 170
    delete
    Where have you been? Are you stuck in 1995 time warp? You need to get with the programme. The Daltonator rocks.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    SaintMark wrote: »
    LTK = Miami Vice light

I heard even Bruce Wayne was not even worried about the movie, he found the leading man somewhat bland. And it was supposed to be Bond. ;)

The best reason to get any license revoked.
    Ouch. I know the film was a box office disappointment in probably the biggest box office year of all, which was rather unfortunate. Tim's take wasn't for everyone.
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 170
    delete
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 11,425
    Shocking talk!

Outrageous.

Flagged!
    Only joking. About the flagging that is.

• edited June 2017 Posts: 1,009
    Best Bond film ever

This quite sums up my opinion. LTK, from the title song to Krest's head blowing up, is personal weakness of mine.
    LTK rocks like no other....