licence to kill: best bond film ever????

Comments

• edited March 2013 Posts: 12,837
    JamesCraig wrote:
    And this is why I miss the old site.

Although I agree @sirseanisbond was being extremely annoying and childish there, please stop bitching about how you miss the old site. You've said this multiple times now.

I wasn't a member on the old site, but most, if not all, of the people from there seem to have gotten over it and are happy with the new forum.

If you're going to keep bitching about how much better the old site was (and almost 2 years after they moved it too) and how bad the discussion level on this forum is, then why not just leave?
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    The old forum is dead.
    Long live the new forum.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Dalton's movies are top notch. They're not perfect and I do have issues with them like every other Bond movie but regarding LTK, I think the film jarringly came off as too "American" and too definitively 80s. I have no issue with the violence, I thought it was justified and should be encouraged. Spy/assassin work is seriously dirty business. Judo chops do not and will not cut it!

• edited February 2014 Posts: 1,009
    LTK is my fav Bond film period. I love its songs (except Wedding Party. It makes one wish to have LTK that band) and love Dalton, Lowell, Davi (Sánchez is one of my fav cinema villains) and Lewellyn's performances, I love the gratitious violence, bordering on gore (for 007 standards, that is), I love the Miami Vice + Cannon Films + Indiana Jones approach and the variations on the established 007 canon and totally disagree with those who say there's no humor in this film... And I loathe that generic Michael Kamen score.

But the best of the Series? No way! Right now I can name ar least 7 or 8 better films in it if we speak neutrally in terms of overall quality and taking into account the time where they were made... For instance, Dr.No, FRWL, GF, TB, OHMSS, TSWLM, FYEO, GE, CR and, of course, Skyfall.

HOWEVER, no one of them will ever beat LTK as my fav movie not only in the 007 series, but of all movies (well, at the present moment, at least :D ). LTK has a place in my heart and I think no movie in the whole series will ever pass it by (my stance in the "all movies" issue can easily change, of course).
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 381
    I'd say that LTK is the most underrated JB film, but not the best one.

I don't think that they should have cut the scene where Pam gives Bond a backstory on Truman Lodge (he was a Wall Street wiz-kid wanted for insider trading), as it really fleshed-out the character. As it is, I'm left thinking, "Who is this guy"?
    The winking fish and Dalton's accent slipping into a Northern mode grate on me ,but the film itself is one i do enjoy .
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I'd call it second best... ;)
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 2,189
    chrisisall wrote:

Thunderball is an underrated Bond film. LTK is just slightly above average. it's nothing special...
    LTK is just slightly above average. it's nothing special...
    Kiss my carcharodon carcharias.

B-)
  • RC7RC7
    Thunderball is an underrated Bond film.

I don't think I've ever heard any non-Bond fan criticise TB, despite its lethargic pacing and bloatedness. That's not to say it doesn't have its positives. But for that reason I don't think I could class it as underrated. If anything I think it is one of the entries that escapes just criticism on many occasions, other than from Bond fans.
  • I'd take LTK over Thunderball. At least in LTK there aren't 20 minute-long segments with nothing happening except people scuba diving.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    chrisisall wrote:

Thunderball is an underrated Bond film. LTK is just slightly above average. it's nothing special...

I'd say the exact opposite. I never heard anything against Thunderball, many claim it to be one of best Bond films. I personally find it terribly boring because of the underwater scenes. If they removed all the underwater parts, the movie would be one of my personal favourites.
    Walecs wrote:
    I never heard anything against Thunderball, many claim it to be one of best Bond films. I personally find it terribly boring because of the underwater scenes. If they removed all the underwater parts, the movie would be one of my personal favourites.

One must see it in the theatre to truly appreciate its grandeur IMO.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    I've never seen in there but love it. It's a great film. Only the first underwater scene drags on for me, personally.
    And I also love the underwater scenes in LTK.

AND, what's wrong with a few slow spots in a movie? :-??
  • Dalton gives a more comprehensive Fleming-esque performance in this one over The Living Daylights and the best damn portrayal of what James Bond should really resemble on the big screen, not seen since Sean Connery in the first two releases. That said, for one superlative acting performance alone, doesn't always make for a great film release. It's not the added violence that's the problem - in fact I usually welcome it in any Bond adventure - more so the general atmosphere of feeling detached from anything to do with James Bond itself, a lot of the time. As with You Only Live Twice (as one example), the locations feel restricted, there's not the usual Bond globe-trotting, and feels at times, so far away from a James Bond release. It is in fact (as a figure of speech), like a polar opposite to Dalton's previous encounter The Living Daylights, and even where Brosnan takes over in Goldeneye on his debut. Bond goes renegade, we see some sharks and palm trees, and to save time for other responses this visit, it just never sat right with some viewers. Don't get me wrong, it's still Dalton in the lead part, arguably the best James Bond that Fleming could of wished for, and there's some great performances from others such as Davi and even Del Toro, but to encapsulate everything, there's little feeling of watching an actual Bond release for this one. Pity really, as the lead actor gives such a powerhouse of a performance that would make it's creator proud, but we saw again in Quantum of Solace that even if for one single outstanding performance from the James Bond actor themselves, it doesn't always add up to an outstanding James Bond adventure
  • edited February 2015 Posts: 11,425
    Great review from the LA Times from back in 1989.

MOVIE REVIEWS : Revenge . . . and Romance : 'Licence': A Darker Version of Bond

July 14, 1989|MICHAEL WILMINGTON

Time marches, age withers and everything falls into decay . . . except James Bond, still spruce and deadly after all these years.

The series has been with us since 1962 and, like many another old timer, tends to repeat itself. Yet, every once in a while, it pulls in its stomach, pops the gun from its cummerbund, arches its eyebrow and gets off another bull's-eye. The newest, "Licence to Kill" (citywide), is probably one of the five or six best of Bond.

At first, it's hard to suggest why. "Licence" (the title is deliberately anglicized) milks the formula as before: a mix of sex, violence and exotic scenery, with Bond on a one-man raid against an archetype of evil, while seducing women and taking in sights. Here, the locales include the sea-spray expanses of Key West and the garish palaces of Mexico City disguised as a fictitious "Isthmus City."

Yet the overall tone has gotten more burnished, somber. The new movie sends the new Bond, Timothy Dalton, on a desperate one-man vendetta against an apparently omnipotent South American cocaine czar. And it isolates him, kills or maims three of his best friends, strips him of his rank, his government, his very license to kill. It leaves him with almost nothing but his wits--and dear old chic-weapons expert Q (Desmond Llewelyn), who pops up ex officio with another bag of lethal cameras and exploding toilet accessories.

It even strips away a little libido. As Timothy Dalton plays the role--with wolfishly sad eyes--this is a more wounded and sensitive Bond than we've ever seen, the sort of Bond the late Laurence Olivier might have imagined. (The look is there, but not the lines.) Bond's appetite for sex seems more distracted, tentative. His women--Carey Lowell as a helicopter pilot and double agent, Talisa Soto as the drug czar's faithless mistress--are more self-sufficient. His armor has sprung a leak.

Where Sean Connery was wry and self-confident and Roger Moore natty and self-mocking, Dalton projects something strange for a hero identified with impeccable sadism: inner torment. The walk is tense; cigarettes pour out fumes of Angst ; the smile carries a hint of pain.

Connery always seemed to be enjoying the world hugely--and he carried the audience along with him, made them enjoy it as much as he did. Roger Moore didn't seem to be enjoying the world so much as ignoring it and, instead, enjoying himself--or perhaps some internal reflection. Dalton, by extreme contrast, doesn't project much enjoyment at all. He projects pain. And pain, obsession and revenge are what "Licence to Kill" is all about.

It's not a film about an urbane adventurer, moving with eerie confidence through a violent, chaotic world. It's a film about a bereaved friend, half-crazed with grief, relying on his instincts and professionalism to carry him through a situation rotten with peril. Like Stallone's Rambo or Eastwood's Dirty Harry, this Bond has been stiffed by the world and abandoned by his government. He is a loner, driven by overwhelming personal hurts--confronted with a cool, sexy foe who, in some curious way, almost recalls the old Bond.

Previous villains in the series tended to be older, more urbane, wicked paterfamilias figures. Instead, Robert Davi, a heavy in "Die Hard," makes Franz Sanchez--who's modeled on modern drug kings like Carlos Lehder of Colombia's Medellin cartel--a sexy adventurer who metes out rough justice with style and merciless sarcasm. And he has a code: loyalty matters to him more than money. Against this new-style villain, Bond, the dark angel, twists what seems to be Sanchez's only good quality--his insistence on loyalty--against him, trying to strip away his friends one by one and convince him of their treachery.

It seems to isolate Bond as well as Sanchez. Yet it leaves him with everything that counts: the gimmicks, the archetypes, the formulas, the old jokes of a full 27-year and 16-film tour of duty. Like all Bond movies it has its set-pieces, chief among them a roaring, rousing Mad Max-style climactic, exploding chase involving three Kenworth trucks, jeeps and a small plane set on a desolately beautiful Mexican mountain road. It's planned and staged with the exquisite carnage of a silent comedy car chase, with gags topping gags, and surprises leaping over each other--just as one flaming truck leaps over the plane.

Produced and co-written by old hands Albert Broccoli and Richard Maibaum (whose tour dates back to 1962's "Dr. No"), directed and co-written by new veterans John Glen and Michael G. Wilson, the movie whips up a combustible brew of old and new. Is it just updating the new cliches: the incessant car crashes, gruesome sadism, heavy hardware, feistier heroines? (Just as there used to be obligatory sexpots-in-distress, Carey Lowell almost seems an obligatory lone wolf.) Perhaps--but all those movies stole from the Bond films, too, often draining out the crucial elements that make them fun: self-kidding humor and exotic locales.

"Licence to Kill" (MPAA-rated PG-13, despite extreme violence and suggestions of sex) has the usual bursts of illogic, the gratuitous sex or violence. But gratuitous sex or violence have always been fixtures of Bond's world. Often the formulas grate on you. Here, they ignite. This is a guilt-edged Bond; there's a core of darkness and pain in the glittery world exploding around it.
    Wow @Gerafix, great review!!! Thanks for finding it!
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    LTK is my worst Bond film. I liked it but it was poorly done and acted.

TLD too...
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    LTK is my worst Bond film.

You made it? Wait...
    Not the best, but my favorite so far.

It was the last of the James Bond film to follow a trend, in this case the Die Hard series and those cheap but insanely funny Cannon Films romps: It's a compilation of what made those films of the 80s so enjoyable. Non-stop action, high levels of violence, ninjas and almost no time to think between scenes. besides there is this proto-Craig performance by Dalton... And Robert Davi was fantastic as Sánchez.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    chrisisall wrote: »
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    LTK is my worst Bond film.

You made it? Wait...

Lol ..no meant my ranking
    edited January 2015 Posts: 17,691
    Dalton's two were my favourites, and I like them about equally, BUT- if LTK had gotten a Barry score it would just edge out TLD.
    Yeah, I love Brosnan & Connery, but Dalton rules, and I will support my King.
  • Getafix wrote: »

Time marches, age withers and everything falls into decay . . . except James Bond, still spruce and deadly after all these years.

The series has been with us since 1962 and, like many another old timer, tends to repeat itself. Yet, every once in a while, it pulls in its stomach, pops the gun from its cummerbund, arches its eyebrow and gets off another bull's-eye. The newest, "Licence to Kill" (citywide), is probably one of the five or six best of Bond.

At first, it's hard to suggest why. "Licence" (the title is deliberately anglicized) milks the formula as before: a mix of sex, violence and exotic scenery, with Bond on a one-man raid against an archetype of evil, while seducing women and taking in sights. Here, the locales include the sea-spray expanses of Key West and the garish palaces of Mexico City disguised as a fictitious "Isthmus City."

Yet the overall tone has gotten more burnished, somber. The new movie sends the new Bond, Timothy Dalton, on a desperate one-man vendetta against an apparently omnipotent South American cocaine czar. And it isolates him, kills or maims three of his best friends, strips him of his rank, his government, his very license to kill. It leaves him with almost nothing but his wits--and dear old chic-weapons expert Q (Desmond Llewelyn), who pops up ex officio with another bag of lethal cameras and exploding toilet accessories.

It even strips away a little libido. As Timothy Dalton plays the role--with wolfishly sad eyes--this is a more wounded and sensitive Bond than we've ever seen, the sort of Bond the late Laurence Olivier might have imagined. (The look is there, but not the lines.) Bond's appetite for sex seems more distracted, tentative. His women--Carey Lowell as a helicopter pilot and double agent, Talisa Soto as the drug czar's faithless mistress--are more self-sufficient. His armor has sprung a leak.

Where Sean Connery was wry and self-confident and Roger Moore natty and self-mocking, Dalton projects something strange for a hero identified with impeccable sadism: inner torment. The walk is tense; cigarettes pour out fumes of Angst ; the smile carries a hint of pain.

Connery always seemed to be enjoying the world hugely--and he carried the audience along with him, made them enjoy it as much as he did. Roger Moore didn't seem to be enjoying the world so much as ignoring it and, instead, enjoying himself--or perhaps some internal reflection. Dalton, by extreme contrast, doesn't project much enjoyment at all. He projects pain. And pain, obsession and revenge are what "Licence to Kill" is all about.

It's not a film about an urbane adventurer, moving with eerie confidence through a violent, chaotic world. It's a film about a bereaved friend, half-crazed with grief, relying on his instincts and professionalism to carry him through a situation rotten with peril. Like Stallone's Rambo or Eastwood's Dirty Harry, this Bond has been stiffed by the world and abandoned by his government. He is a loner, driven by overwhelming personal hurts--confronted with a cool, sexy foe who, in some curious way, almost recalls the old Bond.

Previous villains in the series tended to be older, more urbane, wicked paterfamilias figures. Instead, Robert Davi, a heavy in "Die Hard," makes Franz Sanchez--who's modeled on modern drug kings like Carlos Lehder of Colombia's Medellin cartel--a sexy adventurer who metes out rough justice with style and merciless sarcasm. And he has a code: loyalty matters to him more than money. Against this new-style villain, Bond, the dark angel, twists what seems to be Sanchez's only good quality--his insistence on loyalty--against him, trying to strip away his friends one by one and convince him of their treachery.

It seems to isolate Bond as well as Sanchez. Yet it leaves him with everything that counts: the gimmicks, the archetypes, the formulas, the old jokes of a full 27-year and 16-film tour of duty. Like all Bond movies it has its set-pieces, chief among them a roaring, rousing Mad Max-style climactic, exploding chase involving three Kenworth trucks, jeeps and a small plane set on a desolately beautiful Mexican mountain road. It's planned and staged with the exquisite carnage of a silent comedy car chase, with gags topping gags, and surprises leaping over each other--just as one flaming truck leaps over the plane.

Produced and co-written by old hands Albert Broccoli and Richard Maibaum (whose tour dates back to 1962's "Dr. No"), directed and co-written by new veterans John Glen and Michael G. Wilson, the movie whips up a combustible brew of old and new. Is it just updating the new cliches: the incessant car crashes, gruesome sadism, heavy hardware, feistier heroines? (Just as there used to be obligatory sexpots-in-distress, Carey Lowell almost seems an obligatory lone wolf.) Perhaps--but all those movies stole from the Bond films, too, often draining out the crucial elements that make them fun: self-kidding humor and exotic locales.

"Licence to Kill" (MPAA-rated PG-13, despite extreme violence and suggestions of sex) has the usual bursts of illogic, the gratuitous sex or violence. But gratuitous sex or violence have always been fixtures of Bond's world. Often the formulas grate on you. Here, they ignite. This is a guilt-edged Bond; there's a core of darkness and pain in the glittery world exploding around it.

Great find @getaflix.

It was the last of the James Bond film to follow a trend, in this case the Die Hard series and those cheap but insanely funny Cannon Films romps: It's a compilation of what made those films of the 80s so enjoyable. Non-stop action, high levels of violence, ninjas and almost no time to think between scenes. besides there is this proto-Craig performance by Dalton... And Robert Davi was fantastic as Sánchez.

CR and QoS are a response to Bourne and SF is inspired by TDK. Bond never stopped following the latest trends.

Great find @getaflix.
    Getafix wrote: »

CR and QoS are a response to Bourne and SF is inspired by TDK. Bond never stopped following the latest trends.

QOS maybe. CR? Absolutely not. And I never understood the SF/Dark Knight comparisons. Someone please enlighten me.
    I think EON would say differently. CR might not exactly echo the style of Bond but it's more serious tone is most definitely a response to Bourne. Even some of the fights are more bone-crunching in the Bourne style.
    I think EON would say differently. CR might not exactly echo the style of Bond but it's more serious tone is most definitely a response to Bourne. Even some of the fights are more bone-crunching in the Bourne style.

So I guess the Bourne series invented serious tones and bone-crunching fights. The same response was made in 1969 with OHMSS. Was that due to Bourne aswell? And I highly EON would ever admit to copying Bourne. Hell the first two Bourne films didn't even do that well in the box office.
    Well Babs and pretty much everyone involved in Bond have referenced Bourne as at least one reason behind the reboot. Even Brosnan has acknowledged it. You can deny it all you want but it's a simple fact that Bourne rewrote the rule book and EON were scrambling to catch up.

likewise Mendes has explicitly referenced TDK as an inspiration for SF.

Well Babs and pretty much everyone involved in Bond have referenced Bourne as at least one reason behind the reboot. Even Brosnan has acknowledged it. You can deny it all you want but it's a simple fact that Bourne rewrote the rule book and EON were scrambling to catch up.

likewise Mendes has explicitly referenced TDK as an inspiration for SF.

When did Wilson and Broccoli reference Bourne? Ofcourse Brosnan said that but that was just his childish and jealous response to being fired. I'm sorry I just don't see enough similarities between CR and Bourne to acknowledge any kind of trend being followed especially since that was the third time the Bond franchise made that OTT to serious transition. The timing just happened to match. Again Bourne didn't invent serious the same way Christopher Nolan didn't invent dark.

I'll admit LALD followed the blaxploitation trend and Moonraker followed the Star Wars trend but I'm sorry I don't see CR following Bourne.